PDA

View Full Version : need your help with VFR flight

cliph
1st May 2008, 19:55
I'm planning to make a flight from EDRP to LFMQ (or LFTF maybe) in near future. Since French airspace is somewhat complicated I need your help in planning VFR flight for the first time in there. :ugh: Here in Poland we have quite complicated airspace structure as well, although not that much. :}

What I need is what is your practical approach in making such VFR flights within French airspace (i.e. crossing military reserved areas). I'm familiar with French AIP, the airspace structure, Jeppesen VFR charts, flight plans etc.

I appreciate all your hints. You can drop me private messages if you like.

PS: I do not speak French at all.

See you soon in LF :)
cliph

gabon flyer 2
2nd May 2008, 08:17
Good morning fellow Aviator!!!

Let me ask you a question first:are you IFR rated? If yes it will be much more easier for you ...if not i m afraid will discover how painfull it is to fly within french airspace!!!

For a VFR planning i will suggest you to try to log on the SIA website(service d information aeronautique) and try to buy the VFR folder where you will find french VFR maps and a special kit describing you all military areas and when they are active or not....;another option is when you will fill your flight plan try to get those information from the flight center...Another option could be to ask for a flight following right after crossing the boundary.

Otherwise they will also expect you to pay a special attention to all those new sensitive areas such as nuclear power station,hospital,major cities....be ready to circumnavigate....if you see what i mean!
While approaching small or medium airports ,keep your eyes opened as most of the time private licence holder won t be able to make their position report in english....

A part from that i really hope you will enjoy it!
Fly safe and happy landings

cliph
2nd May 2008, 09:10
No, I'm not IFR rated, neither is my ultralight :ugh: so my only choice is VFR.

I always fly with proper frequencies tuned up asking for flight following if possible.

I found that the most important part of French AIP is not even translated to English! Take a look at LF ENR 5.1 and 5.2 documents and you would see what I mean. In the "Operating authority, penetrating conditions" column there is everything in French only!!! Completely understandable for most part of the world. :mad:

In regards to "sensitive areas such as nuclear power station,hospital,major cities" - I've just ordered up-to-date Jeppesen VFR chart (April 2008) - I hope that all those sensitive area will be painted on my chart!

Thank for your valuable input. :ok:

gabon flyer 2
4th May 2008, 08:21
Hello my friend,

I m not really sur about that but is there anykind of special aiport training to go to "le castellet"!!!? I know that this place could be very busy during the Formula 1 race so check your notams...once you ll be in LFMQ there are a lot a funny place to visit: fayence,cannes-mandelieu,la baule st tropez....,barcelonette in the french alps....ENJOY

What kind of ULM are you flying on?

Bye

LH2
4th May 2008, 14:45
Since French airspace is somewhat complicated

It is not, really, as long as you have a radio and a transponder (extra points for an OBI, for position reports). With the above equipment you can expect to be cleared through most controlled airspace as a matter of course.

what is your practical approach in making such VFR flights within French airspace (i.e. crossing military reserved areas)

First of all, as you have already mentioned, use your radio (it's "Flight Information Service" in Europe, not "Flight Following"). Having checked your charts and NOTAMs (to avoid unnecessary embarrassment :\), you just "request activation status" for any danger areas you are about to cross (and if you miss one you will likely be told whether it's safe to cross or be given a vector away from it, but try to show good airmanship and stay on the ball rather than relying on the controller to get you out of trouble :)).

Similar with restricted areas, read up on them first on the AIP (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_fr.htm), but if you're in any doubt, again just ask away on the radio. The one thing to avoid is flying below 2000ft AGL or so, that's the air force's playground.

LFMQ is open to public traffic and there are no restrictions other than having a VHF radio. LFTF is out of bound for ULMs other than the three-axis variety, so if that's what you have you're still in the game. Again, radio is compulsory.

Do buy the French VFR guide as suggested, and any other doubts just call the Nice BRIA (regional aeronautical information office):

Tél : +33 (0)4 93 17 21 18
Fax : +33 (0)4 93 17 21 17

Additionally, when stopping for fuel, talk to the local airport operations office, tower, or local pilots. Like everywhere else, you will get invaluable information from them.

Flying in France (VFR or otherwise) is a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and French controllers are the most efficient and helpful I have come across so far.

ATC Watcher
5th May 2008, 21:40
In addition to the good advice mentionned by my predecessors,I would add the following comments :

The Jeppesen is not the best chart to use for flying VFR in France The ICAO 1/500.000 are far better , but you will need 2 to go where you intent to : North East and South East. For flight planning, the unofficial VFR FRANCE JOUR ( also known as carte a Bossy ) is an excellent value as it gives all the opening times of the Restricted areas, as well as all the military frequencies , plus a lot of informations on all the airfields + all ULM landing sites , with their GPS coordinates.

If you choose to stay away from class D ( a challenge nowadays, but feasible ) you do not need to talk to anyone, but stay above 1500 ft as in France airspace below 1500ft is used by the military .

If you plan your flight via the Durance valley , watch out for gliders and gliders fields Huge concentration on in this area.

Finally , it is best to learn 10 or 12 basic French words to approach an aerodrome . like : vertical, downwind, base, final, etc.. , as in many airfields it is A/A in French only.

You'll enjoy it..

cliph
11th May 2008, 06:15
Thanks for all your replies. I've just returned from my flight trip to Germany. My ultralight is TL-2000 Sting with VHF radio and mode C transponder.

I have two more questions:

1. Can you give me some explanations of what RAI is and examples of what information it broadcasts?

2. How can I find a military airspace is activated or not on the day before actual flight? I know NOTAMs. Is there any other source of activation notices like AUP (Airspace Use Plan) etc?

Many thanks!

alphagolf
11th May 2008, 06:40
1 - An RAI is an automatic broadcast that is sent to you on the frequency you're using when you've sent a carrier wave and nobody is there to answer you. It's usually broadcast in French and English right after. Usually it says that all airspace linked to that frequency are non active and therefore considered as class G airspace.

2 - You can go to www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr), top left menu "NOTAM" down the little list that appears "AZBA du jour" (military airspace activated on the day you're looking at the list) or "AZBA du lendemain" (military airspace activated on the day after).