PDA

View Full Version : Working in Oman

LeeVanCleef
1st May 2008, 10:26
Could anyone give me any info on working in oman for Airworks/Vt Group??

Ive looked on the vt website and as expected ive not been able to find anything on the kind of things to expect from them.

Kind of thing im looking for is if anyone has worked there and if they could tell me about what thumrait/seeb is like to live in/around or work at, the kind of accomodation given.

Thanks for anything you can throw at me.

Vortechs Jenerator
1st May 2008, 11:14
Thumrait used to be ok if you liked the company of men exclusively and shop talk in the bar. I think Seeb would be ok as Mucat is a bit more of a normal town, I did a little stint with them in UAE between leaving the mob and getting my license.

It was ok - I think the money may have improved. accommodation was local apartments of decent standard.

My experience is 11 years old now so maybe someone more recent can chip in.

zamayam
3rd May 2008, 16:10
:ok:I have met many people who worked in Oman regardless which place they worked and they loved the country and the people. If you plan to bring your family I think the best place is Muscat. However Thumrait is small town in the desert . I know many of aviation people who are working in Thumrait and they live in Salalah . You have to give me more detail to guide you .
What do you like.
Are you married.
??????

You can see the places by Earth Google.

Truck2005
4th May 2008, 10:45
Worked there some years ago and am looking at going back out. I worked in Seed as a Tech Controller, (near Muscat), so it was a more 'civilised' existance if you like. The country is full of stunning landscapes and history. The people are very approachable, providing you understand their way of life and respect it.

Bleeding hot during the Summer, (38+ May - September. Mid 20s the rest of the year). Salalah can be very sticky during to the monsoon season. Thumrait, well we called them the Thuggies. Strange things happened to people out in the desert!!!!

Fantastic beaches but normally accessed via serious 4x4 driving. Well worth the investment.

If you are thinking about bring the family out I would only look at Seeb. There are foreign schools available, at a cost, but can have an excellent teacher to pupil ratio. Private accomodation can be had at reasonable rates.

I had a great time but in them days your contract was only as good as the 3 month notice period!

LeeVanCleef
4th May 2008, 13:16
Just as an update with questions asked, in unattatched so will only be taking my self. All thats happening so far is interviews ect, would just like a bit of background knowledge before taking the plunge if im given the opertunity. I dont want to sound like its all a forgone conclusion, but obviously a heads-up is always a good thing.

Thank you.

Truck2005
4th May 2008, 13:28
In addition, your leave cycle is started from when you arrive. The first leave was normally 17 weeks from in country date so you can forget christmas if you go out around september. You may be able to arrange it differently after that, if your section is happy to swap the dates, and the general manager is okay with it.

I can only give the company full marks for the way they treat compassionate cases, having had to return to the UK days after arriving back in Seeb. Tickets arranged and leave given over the weekend!

I believe there is new recreation facilities up at Seeb now. They were building a new beach club for us when I was leaving and I think there is a new gym and swimming pool there as well for the Airworkies.

The country is limited wet, in so far as it is tolerated, but the Concorde club at Seeb is a good wetting place, (you are accomodated at Maam camp, just a few clicks from the airport).

LeeVanCleef
4th May 2008, 15:12
thanks for the info guys, muchly appreciated.