PDA

View Full Version : GCSEs? A-levels?

Baatezu
30th Apr 2008, 19:18
Hi,

How important are secondary education results in getting sponsorship for an ATPL course? Will they get any more important or not so in the next couple of years?

Here's my situation. I'm a wannabe currently at the stage zero of becoming a pilot, a 20-years-old Polish national working in the UK, with no British education, but with six extended level maturas (Polish secondary school leaving certificates, and according to wiki, they are the equivalent of English A-levels) with scores 70% and higher, out of which only Geography (83%) and English (98%) present some potential when it comes to seducing sponsors. I also have Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (that's the highest one) with grade B. I have no GCSEs nor A-levels in Maths or Science/Physics, a mistake I'm planning to correct at Oxford and Cherwell Valley College this year (that is, when they deign to answer my calls).

The questions are: is it worth it? When I get those GCSEs, should I spend another year studying for A-levels? Should I get a GCSE in English to prove I know what Brits are on about or are foreigners' certificates enough? Does anyone know how Polish exam results fare against English qualifications?

Cheers,
Hellspawn

student88
30th Apr 2008, 22:39
I think you've proved to most of us PPRuNers that you know what we're on about. I wouldn't bother with the GCSEs. It might be worth while calling a few 'sponsorship offering' FTOs like OAA (Oxford Aviation Training to the old school boys) and CTC for their opinion and whether they'll accept what you've got as equivalent qualifications to A Level standard. Most sponsorships, as you'll know, require 2 A Levels so that's what you're looking for. You can contact CTC on +44 (0)23 80 737 567 and ask for Jo Ward or Oxford on +44(0) 1865 841 234 and ask for Mike Griffith.

Good Luck,

S88:ok:

preduk
30th Apr 2008, 22:46
Most courses state "A-levels or equivalent" so if they are at the same level there shouldn't be any issue. Scotland don't use A-levels and we are based in the UK!

Baatezu
1st May 2008, 19:57
I managed to talk to someone in Oxford College. To get GCSE and then A-level in Maths I'd have to stay there for two years, as the course can't be sped up. They could accept me for A-level in Physics course under such 'n' such conditions as well. You're saying, S88 (thanks a bunch for those names and numbers btw) that there's no point bothering with GCSEs, but my A-level profile is very strongly sociological/linguistic (apart from Geography) and doesn't say much about my numerical/spatial skills. I'll make sure to ring those people, although I'm somewhat worried that the answer will be among the lines of "mmmmhm, maybe, pay 170 quid for the application and we'll tell you how much those are worth", hence I wanted to know your (hopefully impartial) opinion people about the importance of Maths/Physics.

Hellspawn (looking curiously into the future)

student88
1st May 2008, 21:54
Hey Baatezu,

There are a bunch of guys who've got into CTC with A Level History and French - that doesn't say much about their numerical skills. That's what assessments are for. At the moment I assume all you're worried about is that you've got the required academic qualifications to enter assessment. You need to find out if what you've got allows you to sit assessment because at CTC, OAA and many other sponsorships if you haven't got the 2 required A Levels you're not going anywhere. You should try and tick the boxes first and then brush up your maths and physics with a few tutor lessons in your weakest areas. If you don't have to spend 2 years taking GCSEs and then A Levels then why bother? Ok - it'll give you a great Mathematical and Scientific grounding for your assessment and course but on the other hand you could spend that time on the flying course with CTC etc. You'll never know if you don't ask so get out there and ask the FTOs! Just make sure they understand what you're asking them.

S88:ok:

n.b. GAPAN sit non biased assessments that might be of interest to you. You don't need A Levels and it'll more or less tell you if you've 'got what it takes' to become a Commercial Pilot. http://www.gapan.org/careers/aptitude.htm
might be worth a sniff..

Re-Heat
2nd May 2008, 08:24
I don't understand why you are considering sitting A-Levels at all - your equivalent qualifications are sufficient, and indeed should be accepted by all those providers.

Why waste your time and money?

Baatezu
3rd May 2008, 17:00
Thanks guys (especially s88), your comments are well noted. Originally I was planning to take the GAPAN assessment during the college course, but it seems more sensible to do it (not necessarily GAPAN maybe?) before I commit my time and money to any additional education and then decide on the next move based on results. Thanks once again :ok:

Hellspawn (back on track, hopefully)