PDA

View Full Version : I need a genuine copy of Windows XP or XP Professional

rotornut
30th Apr 2008, 14:04
Can anyone tell me where I can get a genuine copy of XP or XP Professional online? Thanks in advance.

Farrell
30th Apr 2008, 14:06
http://shopper.cnet.com/windows/windows-xp-professional-edition/4014-3672_9-30908783.html

frostbite
30th Apr 2008, 14:24
Alternatively, eBay or Ebid, but make sure it's exactly what you're looking for and the seller has plenty of good feedback.

planecrazy.eu
1st May 2008, 13:51
Go to the source, if you have a fake or ilegal copy of Windows, M$ sells the genuine just as cheap as anywhere else i am sure...

Watch ebay, sometimes you get oem, sometimes you get fakes....

rotornut
1st May 2008, 19:52
Thanks, folks. I'll check them out and watch for fakes.

Two_dogs
2nd May 2008, 13:22
I get ALL my software from peer to peer sites

:}

planecrazy.eu
2nd May 2008, 20:40
Thats not going to help the guy get a "Genuine" version is it...

You sound proud you get "ALL" your software from P2P websites?

2nd May 2008, 22:45
They are advertising XP pro online at www.CompUSA.com ($140)

At least buying it from a well known retailer, you can be sure it would be genuine.

Two_dogs
2nd May 2008, 23:37
Planecrazy,

It was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment.
Did you not see the :} icon? Lighten up!

Two Dogs

seacue
3rd May 2008, 01:14
I wonder the relationship between the present "CompUSA" and the one which closed all its stores perhaps a year ago - AFAIK. There is certainly an empty CompUSA store a mile from me.

3rd May 2008, 13:16
Looks like some of their assets (and the name) were taken over.

http://news.compusa.com/press-releases/systemax-announces-definitive-agreement-to-acquire-selected-assets-and-retail-stores-from-compusa/

I've always purchased stuff from there whenever I'm in the USA. The prices compared to the UK are very good.

planecrazy.eu
3rd May 2008, 23:26
Sorry Two Dogs... Fully Lightened Now...

Was in a lil mood with p2p sites after buying ProEngineer and most my class having downloaded it...

PPRuNe Pop
4th May 2008, 06:12
I am not sure if they are still about but I purchased a copy of a 'student' version of XP Pro which is a full copy, genuine and approved by MS. It has to be verified by MS or you won't get updates and such when you need them.

However, there is a company in Kent called Davad Technology who supplied them (like I said I am not sure if they still do). They can be reached on 01634 710840. They did cost £65.

cats_five
4th May 2008, 07:03
Lots of places do student editions of both XP and Office including Amazon, and the student XP is the Professional version. If you don't qualify, the next cheapest way is usually an OEM edition, brought along with a small bit of hardware. Some vendors will see a nasty cheap mouse with it to make it qualify! The OEM version is available in both home & professional versions.

Capot
5th May 2008, 09:33
FWIW I bought Windows XP Pro OEM for £64 plus VAT on-line a week or two ago, to instal in a new Asus eee PC 4Gb, which I bought in PC World.

I did not have to buy any hardware. The disc arrived with comprehensive instructions within 24 hours, loaded beautifully via a USB DVD reader and activated with no problem. Step forward Digital-Sunrise for a round of applause.

If anyone's interested, the Asus with XP Pro and Vodafone mobile broadband is now excellent. It comes with wireless installed.

It will be even better when I change the memory from 512 Mb to 1 or 2 Gb (easy) and slot in a 4+Gb SD memory card to augment the fitted storage.

planecrazy.eu
5th May 2008, 09:53
As a student, we just got Vista Business for free through MSDNAA. Its full version and updates for as long as supported...

XP, 2003 and 2000 are also available...

Synthetic
6th May 2008, 15:43
XP is still being advertised on Ebuyer.