PDA

View Full Version : SilverJet (Merged 30/05)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lowfaresbuster
10th Apr 2006, 09:24
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/04/10/story253402.html
Travel veterans unveil transatlantic plans
10/04/2006 - 10:04:06
A new airline today announced plans to raise £25m (€36m) for the launch of a low-fares operation serving New York-bound business class travellers from the UK.
Silverjet intends to run a Luton to Newark route with a low-cost airline model similar to that of short-haul airlines, such as Ryanair and easyJet.
The company will raise funds for the venture through a listing on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) in May and will launch its service six to nine months later.
Chief executive Lawrence Hunt, who has been working on developing the business for two years, believed the service could revolutionise the long haul business class market.
Fares will be substantially less than existing fares for business class travel and below current average premium economy travel with average return fares around £999 (€1,400), he said.
This compares to current prices for a flat-bed business class service of between £2,500 (€3,600) and £5,000 (€7,200).
The management team includes chairman Peter Owen, who was at British Airways for 21 years and customer experience director Martyn Bridger, who was head of in-flight services for BA where he worked for 24 years.
John Bavister, formerly at Thomas Cook, takes on the role of finance director and Peter Evans who was head of operations at Virgin Atlantic is the operations director. Dave Simmons, sales and marketing director, has set up marketing programmes for Ryanair, BA and American Airlines.
Mr Hunt, who has been involved in six start-up businesses since 1984, said customers would be offered a full business class service. All 100 seats will have inclined flat beds and there will be significantly reduced check-in times, as little as 30 minutes, he said.
The service will operate between Luton and Newark Liberty International airport.
Following the float, Mr Hunt will own a 10% stake in the business while a further 10% will be owned by the other five members of the management team.
The first all-business airline offering low-cost fares, US-based MAXjet, launched in November 2005 and flies between London and New York and London and Washington.
Mr Hunt said it was possible to reduce prices as they were not offering economy seats.
“Bigger companies make most if not all of their profits from premium customers and lose money in economy. Business class travel is subsidising economy travel.”
By losing the economy seats prices can come down without any compromise in service, he said.
Within three years, Silverjet intends to operate a fleet of 10 aircraft, all with flat beds.

WHBM
10th Apr 2006, 09:44
Well if anyone knowledgeable at AIM (and there are a few) finds an investment proposition which aims for
Within three years, Silverjet intends to operate a fleet of 10 aircraft, all with flat beds. by a low-cost airline model similar to that of short-haul airlines, such as Ryanair and easyJet. they will soon be sent away with a flea in their ear.

Cyrano
10th Apr 2006, 13:35
Essentially what they are proposing is a Maxjet lookalike, but from Luton to Newark, with angled flat beds rather than cradle seats, and initially two flights a day (thus morning and afternoon departures from London). Like Maxjet, they propose to operate 767-200s with 100-odd seats.

Their analysis of available fares on websites over recent months apparently suggests that Maxjet is doing OK and Eos isn't (I summarise).

It seems to me that if you're Maxjet and you want to nip this in the bud, you simply have to announce a seat upgrade (I say "simply"; I know they're expensive, but I have to assume Maxjet had planned for this sooner or later - maybe BA would sell them their existing Club World flat-bed seats when they're taken out? :hmm: ). Oh, and perhaps a second daily flight.

WHBM: my reading of the "low-cost airline model similar to that of other short-haul airlines" is that it's sloppy journalism - pretty much the only bit of that model that these guys are taking (unless you count a single aircraft type, though with a fleet of up to 10 that's not really a major innovation) is the time-driven pricing, i.e. book 2 months out and you'll get to New York for £99, book the day before and it'll be £1500. That's common by now for a lot of short-haul carriers, but - if I'm not mistaken - transatlantic business class hasn't got this kind of pricing model yet.

LGS6753
10th Apr 2006, 16:55
I noticed some poster adverts for MaxJet in the City this weekend, but I've not seen any Eos ads.

This one will have the advantage of a more convenient UK airport, closer to London and with a bigger catchment area. I like the idea of dynamic pricing on a business-class model too.

Best of luck to them:ok:

Golf Charlie Charlie
10th Apr 2006, 17:40
Every time I have passed through JFK in recent weeks (about 4 times) I see an Eos 757 parked at some distant stand, looking rather lonely. I understand the point about a standby airframe, but that's some big overhead piling up.

Stanstedeye
10th Apr 2006, 18:05
Is Silverjet a relation to the proposed airline Tara?

Buster the Bear
10th Apr 2006, 19:58
I wonder if the operators of Luton airport have been consulted yet?

Blighty Pilot
10th Apr 2006, 20:20
I worked for an airline that Mr M. Bridger was assosiated with (strangely enough doesn't seem to be mentioned in his above C.V.) that went bust after 6 months of operating. Hundreds of people out of work and people out of pocket. I understand that Mr M. Bridger was the cause of the cabin crew strike at British Airways some years ago.
Will be interesting to see how long this airline survives if it even gets off the ground.
I'm not bitter and twisted - honest!!! :hmm: :p

pamann
10th Apr 2006, 21:32
This one will have the advantage of a more convenient UK airport, closer to London and with a bigger catchment area.
Maxjet & Eos chose Stansted as it is conveniently located for the "City" of London i:e; Canary Wharf as well as Cambridge which has a big market for transatlantic business travellers due to the nature of a lot of companies in and around Cambridgeshire.
If Luton was nearer and easier to get to from the City then I would have chosen to be based there as I live in the city and can tell you Luton is not as convenient for me to get to as Stansted in terms of ease of travel and distance. Some of you guys should try it and see for yourself. A lot of people on here just don't seem to like to see Stansted doing well and think the whole aviation universe revolves around Bedfordshire.

HZ123
11th Apr 2006, 06:31
Aside, to this in the 'Observer' on Sunday there was a very positive article stating that an 'open skies' policy would be signed by the EU & USA in June. It added that BA have already plans in place for new routes in October as a result of this and BMI will abandon EU routes for longhaul utilising there slots from LHR. If this is correct, which if not now then soon, there will be a huge increase in the existing 8000 seats a day from the London airports to JFK and other destinations which can only lead to a crop of casualties.

Buster the Bear
11th Apr 2006, 08:21
"A lot of people on here just don't seem to like to see Stansted doing well and think the whole aviation universe revolves around Bedfordshire."

I think quite simply that it is because there are quite a number of regular 'Luton posters' compared to Stansted and the fact that the BAA have openly cross subsidised Stansted with profits from elsewhere in their group! Not a level playing field?

Question: If Stansted is so convenient for the city of London, why do most of the executive Biz Jet's that ply the Atlantic, use Farnborough and Luton?

Ever tried to get from 'The City to Heathrow :eek:

Silverjet, I wish them well, hopefully not another Now, Styrian, Volare..........etc!

WHBM
11th Apr 2006, 09:12
Maxjet & Eos chose Stansted as it is conveniently located for the "City" of London"I'm quite sure they chose Stansted as it was the best available that had any slots. If they could get in to Heathrow they would leave tomorrow (as would just about every trunk carrier at Gatwick as well). Proximity to offices isn't everything.

We live close to LCY and within sight of Canary Wharf. Here are typical travel times I allow :

LCY : 5 minutes (local roads)
STN ; 35 minutes (M11), 32 miles
LHR : 1 hour 20 mins (through central London), 27 miles
LGW : 1 hour 20 mins (A13, Dartford bridge, M25), 48 miles
LUT : 1 hour 30 mins (M11, M25, M1), 51 miles

(Distances from Autoroute, times from experience)

It's a shame Ryanair haven't thought about using North Weald :)

Itswindyout
11th Apr 2006, 09:26
A great idea, the squadron would make a great terminal, fantastic bacon butties, and a free airshow before every departure, the crew would all be in WW2 uniforms.
Only problem might be the weekend market, or perhaps not.
Almost forgot the runway crossing to the long term car park, and terminal.

Windy

Powerjet1
13th Apr 2006, 16:42
Article in the local rag giving a comprehensive report on the proposed Silverjet venture. Also mentions competition from the original proposed airline, Fly First, who had difficulty raising the finance. Apparently the project is still very much alive, albeit now, slightly different from the original plan. An announcement from Fly First can be expected within the next 2/3 months apparently.

bacardi walla
14th Apr 2006, 07:02
[I]Question: If Stansted is so convenient for the city of London, why do most of the executive Biz Jet's that ply the Atlantic, use Farnborough and Luton?

I guess it's because the VIP handling at STN is not upto the standards of FBO's at Farnborough and Luton. Farnborough has brand new facilities, hangar space, full set of equipment and are only limited by the opening hours. Signature at Luton offer 24/7 availability and have their own hangar and a shed load of equipment. They also have management who don't mind spending money to attract customers.

Harrods, Universal and Inflite at Stansted are not 24/7. In fact, Universal actually publish their hours as 0800-2000 local with OOH on request, and they don't even have a full compliment of ground equipment let alone a hangar. By that, I mean they don't even have their own GPU they have to borrow one! As for Harrods at Stansted, I've heard there is unrest with the ground staff so that may have an effect on standards.

Pilots who fly VIP's around dictate VIP service and a friendly smile to greet their passengers, and you just don't get that at Stansted (apart from with Harrods and Inflite who at least are on site longer and have their own equipment and a hangar, and girls to greet the passengers) :eek:

CAP493
14th Apr 2006, 08:37
Here are typical travel times I would allow from Canary Wharf:

LCY : 5 minutes (local roads)
STN : 1 hour 20 minutes (tube to Liverpool Street, then via Stansted Express [44 minutes])
LHR : 50 minutes (tube to Paddington, then via Heathrow Express [15 minutes])
LGW : 1 hour 15 mins (tube to Victoria, then via Gatwick Express [38 minutes])
LTN : 1 hour 05 mins (tube to Kings Cross/St Pancras, then via Midland Mainline [23 mins] or Thameslink [35 mins]).

Of course, if you take a cab to the Central London termini, then you can save even more time.

Be environmentally responsible: leave your limo at home & let the train take the strain...!!

:ok: :sad: :E :D ;) :ooh:

Powerjet1
9th May 2006, 14:17
AFX UK are reporting that Silverjet will be joining the AIM with a price tag of £33.6m. Admission to the AIM and commencement of dealings is expected to take place on 12 May. 24m shares @ 112p

Pilot Pete
9th May 2006, 16:34
Citywire article about Silverjet here (http://www.citywire.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?VersionID=82052).

PP

Epsilon minus
9th May 2006, 19:58
Power jet1. If you do the maths an issue of 24m shares to raise £33.6m would have to be £1.40 each bit more if you want to take commission into account.
Cyrano
I'm sure you're correct in assuming that no one is offering an advance purchase seat of £99 to NYC. If they did would this have much allure to an executive seasoned traveller?
Why EGGW with it's awful reputation as a bucket and spade holiday launch point short runway and naf winter weather. There is no rail connection to the airport (don't tell me that parkway is the airport) and the M1 to J11 is always jammed.
Now as for the unhelpful connections times and routes from airports to LON ; who would go to LON from LGW via the Dartford bridge? 1:20 from Canary Wharf to STN' you're 'aving a larf as they would say at the Queen Vic'.
For the doyens of Silverjet read this:
1) you've made a big mistake by going public before you have anything in the Bank. Look at all the airlines that have done this and failed - Now Alpha Hop Fly Blu/Who to name a few.
2) you've chosen the wrong airport, you might have better luck with Alconbury :\
3) Low cost and long haul and even worse low cost long haul and low density ? See an analyst.

LTNman
9th May 2006, 20:47
[QUOTE=Epsilon minus]

Why EGGW with it's awful reputation as a bucket and spade holiday launch point short runway and naf winter weather. There is no rail connection to the airport (don't tell me that parkway is the airport) and the M1 to J11 is always jammed.
QUOTE]

Luton is the UK’s busiest business jet airport so it would seem that the high flyers like it. The M1 is now being widened with a new duel carriageway into the airport being started this month.

As for a bucket and spade airport Luton is no different to Stansted in its mix of passengers. Luton now has only 20% of its passengers on charter flights.

Buster the Bear
9th May 2006, 20:58
Why Luton?

I doubt very much if the folk flying on Silverjet will be arriving on First Capital Connect!

I guess the dozens and dozens of arriving executives at Luton in the many biz jets movements per day are doing so under duress?

I quote Epsilon minus.... "Why EGGW with it's awful reputation as a bucket and spade holiday launch point short runway and naf winter weather. There is no rail connection to the airport (don't tell me that parkway is the airport) and the M1 to J11 is always jammed."

So Stansted is not a bucket and spade airport?

Short runway! More than enough length to fly to New York in a 767 with 100 pax on board. Having flown from Luton direct to Orlando in such a beast albeit a -200 with 250 on board, runway length in this case is not an issue.

Naf winter weather. Agreed, thankfully a 767 can land/depart CAT3!

No rail connection. What.....Walking from the Heathrow Express terminus to your departure gate can be almost as far, trust me, I have done it!

M1 is now superbly reliable now the 'Specs' measuring equipment ensures a 40mph limit is enforced through the road works.

Epsilon, lets face it mate, Luton is number 1 for executive travellers flying in business jets, Silverjet is just an extension of this.

As for its long term survivability..............Styrian, volareweb.........

Now will the 'Flat Beds' fit a Buster girth?

Epsilon minus
10th May 2006, 08:05
Wow, I've ruffled the feathers of the Lutoneers.
1) You can calibrate your ILS for CATIII as much as you want but if your not approved for autoland by the CAA it's CATI for you and that will mean cancellations or diversions during the lengthy LTN period of below limits weather.
2) Number one for high flyers - Lorraine Chase - I don't think so. If your a biz jet flying executive going to and from NYC your choice is:
Farnborough - good but short runway (may not suit the performance of your aircraft)
Heathrow - too expensive and I doubt whether you will get a slot (unless you're Blair or royalty)
Gatwick - won't have you
Stansted - How much do Harrods charge?
Luton - ? OK let's go there then.
3) Short runway at LTN and that's a fact 100 pax to NYC on a B767-200 no problem but what if you want to expand your business to destinations further a field - cant do it out of LTN and why would you want to loose your freight contribution??
4) M1 - free fowing traffic from the M25 - J11- what time guys 2200 - 0700 maybe. It's even jammed up during the weekend and as for 40 MPH I thought it was meant to be a motorway.

Luton is LCC and B & S and the second runway at STN will entrench this not open its doors to high revenue business. LTN is a bad choice for this proposed business and I reckon the AIM will endorse this.
EM

TightSlot
10th May 2006, 14:18
Short runway at LTN and that's a fact 100 pax to NYC on a B767-200 no problem but what if you want to expand your business to destinations further a field - cant do it out of LTN and why would you want to loose your freight contribution??

Just out of curiosity... in the past when I've travelled on a 767-200, in winter, with freight, 274 pax and round trip catering to Barbados and Orlando from LTN should I have been scared witless on departure?
:confused:

I don't dispute the wisdom of your points made on this subject, except in the area of 767-200 performance, where I believe, although less than sparkling, it may be slightly less limiting than you believe - I'm sure that somebody will correct me if wrong? The 767-200 is of course, Gods' Aircraft of choice, and for many good reasons (not that I'm biased in any way whatsoever!!!)

LTNman
10th May 2006, 15:08
TightSlot

Only if you are still firmly on the ground as you pass at speed the taxiway entry points to runway 26 or 08. I can remember years ago a Dan-Air 727 taking out the approach lights as it got airborne.

Luton is LCC and B & S and the second runway at STN will entrench this not open its doors to high revenue business. LTN is a bad choice for this proposed business and I reckon the AIM will endorse this.
EM

Luton has been described as being in the middle of the golden triangle while Stansted is only convenient for the local cereal farmers who don’t normally go to market in New York.

The real issue with Luton is the short-term problem of available stands which won’t be addressed for a couple of years. Silverjet have claimed that they intend to expand their fleet to 10 aircraft. That’s alright so long as they don’t all arrive at the same time.

Epsilon minus
10th May 2006, 15:46
TS
My wisdom may be slightly more sparkling than your choice of ink colour. On 10hr sectors westbound across the atlantic ex EGKK I've had to accept departures on 08 against the flow in order to get a few pounds of freight on board (w/c was less than ms5). I have no figures for EGGW mind you but with a runway of that length I would have thought it tight.
I will stick to my guns on this, for the future expansion of a long haul scheduled airline, Luton is not the ideal location.
LTnman
Luton has been described as being in the middle of the golden triangle while Stansted is only convenient for the local cereal farmers who don’t normally go to market in New York
Your market knowledge of the hinterland surrounding STN is wrong. Cambridge, Norwich, City of London offer excellent business markets for the Atlantic traveller. You can get easier access to STN from Leicester by train than down the M1 to Luton and the city generates a lot of traffic all NYC bound.

By the way Silverjet shares float on the AIM this Friday.
EM

LGS6753
10th May 2006, 19:41
Epsilon,

Your attachment to Stansted is touching, but unrealistic.
The only reason there is a 20m pax airport in that part of Essex is because of Government interference in free markets. BAA have cross-subsidised STN for years, but LTN has had to stand alone, in the face of this competition.

Frankly, if you can remember Lorraine Chase, you're older than you look.

Why compare rail travel from Leicester to STN with road travel from Leicester to LTN? Midland Mainline offer Leicester - Luton Parkway in around an hour, an do it hourly. If driving, the M1 would be quicker and shorter than M1/A14/M11.

Silverjet have looked at UK catchment areas and seen that Luton is well placed for North and West London (i.e. the wealthier quarters), Bucks, Herts, Beds, Northants, and the rapidly developing M1 corridor from Watford through Milton Keynes towards Coventry and Leicester.

They obviously consider the runway suitable for B762 operations with 100 pax. Executive facilities exist (and when/if Easyland is vacated, could expand) and are well proven.

Where do I buy my shares?

TightSlot
10th May 2006, 20:29
TS
My wisdom may be slightly more sparkling than your choice of ink colour. On 10hr sectors westbound across the atlantic ex EGKK I've had to accept departures on 08 against the flow in order to get a few pounds of freight on board (w/c was less than ms5). I have no figures for EGGW mind you but with a runway of that length I would have thought it tight.
I will stick to my guns on this, for the future expansion of a long haul scheduled airline, Luton is not the ideal location.

Fair enough EM! - In order to publicly demonstrate remorse, regret and abject humiliation, I have adjusted my ink (tempo) accordingly.

:E

King Pong
10th May 2006, 21:13
It is worth pointing out that after Heathrow Luton has the UK’s largest catchment area. Seems to me that Silverjet could be onto a winner

Epsilon minus
10th May 2006, 21:40
Silverjet have looked at UK catchment areas and seen that Luton is well placed for North and West London (i.e. the wealthier quarters), Bucks, Herts, Beds, Northants, and the rapidly developing M1 corridor from Watford through Milton Keynes towards Coventry and Leicester.

They obviously consider the runway suitable for B762 operations with 100 pax. Executive facilities exist (and when/if Easyland is vacated, could expand) and are well proven.

Absolute bolleaux. They've been offered a deal they couldn't refuse more like! And though I do know what Lorraine Chase looks like how do you know what I look like. :hmm:
We don't know each other do we ?

Lembrado
10th May 2006, 22:00
Changing subject slightly.

I wonder if Silverjet will start operations using another operators AOC, with a view to obtaining their own AOC in due course?

L.

LTNman
10th May 2006, 22:37
Silverjet, a new all-business airline set to launch flights between Luton Airport and New York's Newark in late 2006/early 2007, has successfully raised £25.3 million from an initial public offering of shares. The fund raising exercise was so sucessful, the airline is reported to be already planning new routes.

A mixture of institutional and other investors have backed Silverjet's plans to operate twice-daily flights between the two airports on Boeing 767s fitted with 100 inclined flat-bed seats at average fares of £999. To keep fares low, silverjet plans to be ticketless, offer check-in by SMS and the web and will communicate with customers by email and text.

Silverjet's chief executive, Lawrence Hunt, says that business travellers want three main things: to get through the airport quickly, a flat bed seat and as low a fare as possible. 'Getting through the airport at Heathrow and Gatwick is becoming increasingly difficult,' he adds.

Hunt believes that flying from Luton is no disadvantage for an all-business service. 'Three million business travellers already use Luton and 57 percent of all private jets coming to London fly in and out of Luton,' he says. He added that the airport has more people in a two-hour catchment area than any other London airport.

The airline has reached an agreement with the airport to allow silverjet services to use the private aviation terminal, which will allow the latest check-in time or 30 minutes before departure. Hunt says Silverjet has already identified 30 routes that would suit the airline's business model and started the licensing process for three long-haul routes outside North America.

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/luton-airport-news-100506.htm

Note that Silverjet will be using Harrods and the south stands

LTNman
11th May 2006, 06:20
From the Times:

Passengers arriving by train at Luton Airport Parkway will be offered free three-minute transfers to the terminal.

The airline has already identified 30 routes that would suit the airline’s business model and started the licensing process for three long-haul routes outside North America.

Bumz_Rush
12th May 2006, 06:37
The natural option for the service is Harrods.

The aircraft can fit on the stand, and access to R/W is perfect, I am only concerned at 100 flat bed passengers in the tiny terminal, which feels full with 15 or so.

Whats the current situation reference actual access to the terminal, for pax, I asume there will be a dedicated gate keeper to ease the flow.

Car parking off site is being squeezed, but should be managable.

The 50 drivers awaiting and the 50 drivers dropping will perhaps cause the most fun, where will they wait.

I wish Silverjet the best of luck, and hope to meet up on the ramp soon.

Bumz

LTNman
12th May 2006, 14:46
Harrods terminal is set to move in a year or two's time when their ramp by their hangars is expanded.

CAP493
14th May 2006, 16:12
Luton is LCC and B & S
Let's get the facts straight.

Corporate aviation uses Luton because unlike Biggin Hill, City, Farnborough, Gatwick, Heathrow, Northolt and Stansted it combines all of the following:

1. H24 operation (once the runway resurfacing has been completed)
2. No runway slot restrictions there for GA (as yet)
3. Cat 3b capable (if the operator's aircraft and/or crew are not, then it's their failure to get suitably equipped and approved, NOT the airport's...)
4. Minimal approach delays, most times
5. Protection of controlled airspace
6. Highly-rated corporate handling facilities.

As for being LCC, it may well be - but these days it's no more B & S than Gatwick or Stansted are in parts. Unless you believe that passengers take a B & S to most of the major European cities that are now served by scheduled carriers from Luton!!

FYI, because of its elevation and consequent obstruction environment, the take off distances (3240m) at Luton are virtually the same as Gatwick's (3250m 26L & 3311m 08R) and are actually longer than Stansted's (3048m) - the reason you couldn't always get your BAL 767-200 direct to for example, Orlando from Gatwick was the poor single-engine climb performance in certain weight/temperature combinations and the obstruction environment off 26L i.e. Russ Hill.

A 767-200 with around 100 souls on board is more than capable of meeting the required performance figures out of Luton, including the engine failure on take-off climb performance requirement.

As for obtaining Cat 3. approval, if the airline's management are serious about running a successful business, this will be one of their top priorities thereby ensuring reliability of operation.

Oh and BTW, the transit time quoted by BAA at Gatwick from the Airport Station to the North Terminal is 10 minutes ~ pretty much the same transit time from Luton Airport Parkway to the Luton terminal building (albeit, not so quick in the frequently heavy traffic that afflicts the place).

And why the hell would anyone choose to take the train from Leicester to Stansted (instead of driving) or drive from Leicester to Luton (unless they were masochists...) As has been said before, Midland Mainline do an hourly direct service to Luton from Leicester in around 50 minutes.

As for Lorraine Chase, who's she when she's at home...??

;) :=

Stan Woolley
15th May 2006, 16:09
CAP 493

Talking of facts I think you need to check your Runway distance for Luton.

All the others are much longer for now at least.Also different B767's have different performance depending on the engines . For example I know Britannia's B767-200's AA and AB were rocket ships compared to the other 200's when I was there as they had bigger motors.

Bumz_Rush
15th May 2006, 22:07
Yes Midland Mainlaine do stop at Luton on the way south, but do not stop on the way north to pick you up again....Logical or what.... Bumz

Epsilon minus
16th May 2006, 07:47
CAP493
I don't carry jeppesen manuals around with me but I do have an RAF en-route supplement dated 10 NOV 05. Here's what it says about runway lengths:
Gatwick 08R tora 10364 toda 10863 asda 10607 lda 9075
26L tora 10679 toda 11178 asda 10879 lda 9288
Luton 08 tora/asda/lda 7087 toda 10630
26 tora 7087 toda 10630 asda 7287 lda 6808
Stansted 05 tora/asda/lda 10000 toda 10951
23 tora/asda/lda 10000 toda 10879

So which of those three is the most limiting?

Taken from the government web site www.transportdirect.gov.uk.
Peak time journeys from - to the London Stock Exchange via car or train.
Luton car 1.41 54.5m train 1.54
Stansted car 1.21 train 1.10
Gatwick car 1.33 train 1.15

Not looking good for Luton is it. So why would Silverjet want to base a premium business class only airline that will have to compete head to head with the big boys at LGW and LHR ? Answer - the Foyle family.

Let's get the facts straight.

Please check www.acl-uk.org with regards to slots at LTN. I think you will find you need them.

King Pong
16th May 2006, 13:52
Yes Midland Mainlaine do stop at Luton on the way south, but do not stop on the way north to pick you up again....Logical or what.... Bumz

There seems to be an hourly service heading north to places like Derby.

VIKING9
16th May 2006, 16:43
So why would Silverjet want to base a premium business class only airline that will have to compete head to head with the big boys at LGW and LHR ? Answer - the Foyle family.. er, is that Chris Foyle :confused: If it is, maybe shutting down Air Foyle/Heavylift and starting up SilverJet makes sense, but as for operating from LTN, not wise if they want to go long haul to other destinations, i.e Far East etc....

VP8
18th May 2006, 06:30
Viking

If it is WCRF his soon to be ex opsies have not heard anything of a possible job offer..........

VEEPS:sad:

VIKING9
18th May 2006, 07:45
VP8
Maybe he'll be using someone elses AOC, FLYJET for example, so therefore Ops staff not needed. Lets face it, he's help set up many company's with his own AOC's (and Ops), so maybe he's doing it the other way round this time.

There again, he might not be involved at all :ugh:

CAP493
18th May 2006, 16:53
Thanks EpsilionMS but I wasn't talking about TORA but TODA which as I suggested previously and as you kindly indicated, at LTN is virtually the same as at STN and LGW.

As regards travelling time from LTN to the Stock Exchange, methinks that anyone travelling premium class will actually take a taxi or would be chauffeur-driven into London. Whilst the official figures may well indicate STN is the quickest option, the overal difference i.e. 20 minutes is pretty much irrelevant as it would depend on the traffic on the M1, M23 or M11 and within the Capital.

And the 40 mph limit is temporary during the M1 motorway widening work, for safety reasons.

As to the the runway slots at Luton, unlike you I don't need to check the ACL website - corporate flights at LTN are NOT repeat NOT 'coordinated' by ACL on behalf of LLAO (although this could change in a year or-so) because LTN's operating company does not as yet subscribe to that level of coordination.

Oh, and BTW, Bumz, Midland Mainline operates an approximately hourly service ex. St. Pancras to Luton Airport Parkway (final desitnation Derby or Nottingham) which takes 23 minutes, a journey time only beaten by the Heathrow Express to Terminals 1, 2 & 3.

;)

thebeehive
23rd May 2006, 07:56
Hourly service? That will please those business passengers, or perhaps they could get a Capital Connect in rush hour to Kings Cross Thameslink, walk to Kings Cross and get the tube and then DLR :}

Bumz_Rush
23rd May 2006, 16:39
to Luton.

I often take the southbound, from Luton town to London, but have never seen the return train stop in Luton....If it does then I must be getting old (er) and blind...

Time to use the bigger text on the time table pages...

Now I see the problem: south from Luton Town NO problem, NORTH you must change at Luton Parkway......cunning plan.

OR you go from Parekway to Luton, and then to St Pancras....even more cunning....

Thanks.

Bumz

CAP493
27th May 2006, 13:03
Bumz - check the timetable, there's a good chap...:=

First non-stop direct train weekdays leaves St Pancras at 0635 arriving Luton Airport Parkway at 0656; the next train is at 0700 arriving at Luton Airport Parkway at 0722. Midland Mainline direct trains then continue hourly.

Last northbound leaves St. Pancras at 2100 arriving Luton Airport Parkway at 2122.

Services also run at weekends but with altered departure/arrival times.

:ok: :E

Evileyes
27th May 2006, 14:52
Fuel Crossfeed and Tart1 - I moved your posts over to the Interviews, jobs and Sponsorship forum as I think you will have a better chance of a response there.

Cheers,
Evileyes

tart1
27th May 2006, 17:32
That's cool Evileyes. Thanks!!!! :O :O

World of Tweed
8th Aug 2006, 21:36
All Tflys 762s are to be re-leased to SilverJet for its start of operations on the Atlantic premium services......alledgedy....

Powerjet1
9th Aug 2006, 05:20
Taken from another thread, a bit of info re their planned startup.........
2 Flights a day
Flight OB
701 dep LTN 10:00 EWR 1300
705 dep LTN 18:00 EWR 2100
Flight IB
702 dep EWR 19:30 LTN 07:20
706 dep EWR 23:45 LTN 11:35
New routes to be phased in over the next 2-4years
ORD, DXB and JNB

bycrewlgw
9th Aug 2006, 09:40
Maybe some truth in the matter that silverjet are taking our B762s as heard through galleyFM that TOM are going to operate LTN-JNB from this winter. May have been some confusion along the way and what should have been said is that our a/c will be going albeit with a different airline! :ok:

Saxon Ops
9th Aug 2006, 10:49
Not sure how true your information about TOM B767 going to Silverjet is.

Heard from within leasing circles that Silverjet have been in negotiations for a number of aircraft, including Air Mauritius -200ER.

However, stronges indication is that they have been negotiating and nearly concluded a deal with an Asian airline for to take 10 of their -300ER aircraft over a 3-4 year period. Increased requirement is partly driven by rumoured discussions with an Indian enterprise for a joint venture on premium long-haul services - check out stories in industry press re Maxjet and Indian Beer.

Silverjet have got the money following succesful IPO (oversubscribed I think!)

Buster the Bear
12th Aug 2006, 10:18
10 x B767-300's BLIMEY, I need to move into the concrete/tarmac laying business quick!

bacardi walla
12th Aug 2006, 15:55
10 x B767-300's BLIMEY, I need to move into the concrete/tarmac laying business quick!

Rest assured, they won't all be at LTN at once unless we see a repeat of the week debonair collapsed :confused:

Buster the Bear
12th Aug 2006, 16:22
Currently, would there be room for 1 night stopping?

LTNman
12th Aug 2006, 17:27
This isn’t the best time to start a new Luton based airline. A combination of 18 months of road works from the airport to the M1 and 3 years of road works on the M1 around Luton means getting to and from Luton can be a nightmare.

Buster the Bear
12th Aug 2006, 21:44
The 3 years of roadworks on the M1 only covers the stretch from Luton (Jct 10) toward the M25, the northern section follows on, 4 lane widening up to Milton Keynes with completion by 2014:sad:

CAP493
13th Aug 2006, 08:01
This isn’t the best time to start a new Luton based airline. A combination of 18 months of road works from the airport to the M1 and 3 years of road works on the M1 around Luton means getting to and from Luton can be a nightmare.
Perhaps so for the plebs amongst us: but no doubt if you can afford to at fly premium rates long-haul across the 'pond' (or to/from DXB for example) you can (and will) share a helicopter to/from Battersea. Northolt, Elstree, etc., and a limmo to take you to/from your ultimate destination. ;)

bacardi walla
13th Aug 2006, 10:12
Lets assume 2 people per helicopter.......... that's 50 helicopters arriving for each flight. Now now, calm down.....

The roadworks WILL affect SilverJet whether some or all passengers arrive by helicopter. Crews won't "fly in" will they ???

I asked some time back as to how far a 100 seat B767 will go from LTN's runway under normal operating conditions. As yet, nobody has shed any light on it.

Bumz_Rush
13th Aug 2006, 13:54
The weight saving from the seat removal will not be significant.

I suspect the 767 can take full fuel, and is not payload limited, (at least not in this aspect).

Bumz

Buster the Bear
13th Aug 2006, 14:43
Bangor Maine and the Gulf (fuel stop to Oz for Austravel) were within range when Britannia operated their 767's long haul. Twice in the early days (1989 & 1990) I flew on a B767-200 direct from Luton to Orlando, both flights were over 9 hours and the planes were full.

Lucifer
13th Aug 2006, 15:42
I flew on a B767-200 direct from Luton to Orlando, both flights were over 9 hours and the planes were full
And with what cargo?

The ability to use the extra space not utilised for pax luggage is a key consideration, and I expect that your average charterer would make less use of such that SilverJet would have to in order to make their model work.

The weight saving from the seat removal will not be significant
Tosh - it is extremely significant to carry that fewer passengers, baggage and associated carry-on.

Bumz_Rush
13th Aug 2006, 16:11
In theory yes, but as Buster has said, even fully loaded there is a 9 hr range....
Cargo; Silver Jet would not normally be carrying cargo, as the contract with existing carriers would still be running......

Now when the runway is wet, this is a different game.....what are the numbers with contamination....?????

I am not a 757 / 767 jockey, so need input here.....

Bumz

Lucifer
13th Aug 2006, 17:15
Silver Jet would not normally be carrying cargo, as the contract with existing carriers would still be running
What are you talking about - just like MAXjet, who carry cargo, Silverjet will seek to do the same.

Saxon Ops
14th Aug 2006, 09:03
Take a look at the silverjet website.

They have signed a deal for some of the TOM B767's and are negotiating for another a/c.

Can anyone in TOM confirm how far their -200 ER aircraft can go ex-LTN. I suspect a long, long way with 100 pax and a modest cargo load.

Good luck to them!

Saxon Ops

Powerjet1
14th Aug 2006, 09:44
So two TOM 767s by 31 March & 31 Oct 2007, plus negotiations for three more, with the first due Nov 06 if deal can be concluded on time. Services to launch Dec 06 or Apr 07(if first aircraft deal not completed).

Thirty additional potential routes identified. Yeah right!!!!!

Bookings to begin three months prior to first flight. We shall see.

Saxon Ops
14th Aug 2006, 09:59
Powerjet,

The key word was "potential" I think i.e. identified routes they could grow to grow into; not a commitment to operate! There are easily thirty routes that could support business class-only operations.

With regards to selling seats three months out, I think that is normal for any start-up.....probably even your current employer when it started out.

You sound quite acrimonious towards them. Have they upset you......... or have you something to fear from them?

Saxon

Pilot Pete
14th Aug 2006, 10:47
From Travel Mole http://www.travelmole.com/stories/110228.php?mpnlog=1

14 August, 2006

Silverjet issues market update
Silverjet, the new business class-only airline, has entered into a letter of intent to secure two Boeing 767-200 aircraft from ThomsonFly.

In a market update released today, Silverjet said the letter of intent provides for delivery of the two aircraft to Silverjet by no later than March 31 and October 31 2007 respectively.

In addition, it is in advanced negotiations to secure options over a further three aircraft of equivalent specification for delivery, in the case of the earliest aircraft of the three, by no later than November 1 2006.

"The outcome of these negotiations will be announced to the market in due course," it said.

The airline, which will fly from Luton Airport to New York Newark, is currently in negotiation with leasing companies and banks about financing options for these aircraft.

Silverjet said it was still on track for a December launch, but said if the aircraft negotiations were not concluded satisfactorily, it would commence operations by no later than April 2007.

It has also contracted to use Videcom's flight reservation system which will go live three months prior to Silverjet commencing operations, allowing it to take advance bookings from travel trade partners and direct from consumers.

The web-based system also has links with the major global distribution systems which will be further enhanced and implemented for Silverjet, enabling its dynamic fares and seat availability to be displayed to thousands of travel agents, travel management companies, travel web sites and tour operators.

It has also contracted with Sicma Aeroseat to acquire its award winning new 75 inch flat beds for each of its aircraft.

The first batch of seats is scheduled for delivery in November.

Silverjet chief executive Lawrence Hunt said: "The countdown now begins to Silverjet's launch, when our customers will be able to enjoy an industry beating 30 minute check-in, an award winning flat bed, an average £999 fare and a premium in-flight service.

Silverjet intends to achieve an average London New York return fare of £999 on a fully flexible basis and intends to develop further low fare, all business class services operating on long haul routes.

By Bev Fearis

Buster the Bear
14th Aug 2006, 15:32
The airline also said it had signed a letter of intent to acquire two Boeing 767-200 aircraft from Thomsonfly, with delivery dates of ‘no later’ than 31 March 2007 and 31 October 2007. In addition it is in advanced negotiations to secure options over a further three B767s, with delivery of the first expected no later than 1 November 2006. All of the aircraft will be reconfigured to take 102 75” flat beds, compared with up to 245 economy and business class seats in a standard B767.

Buster the Bear
15th Aug 2006, 21:05
An appropriately funded start up from Luton, that will be a rarity! Anyway, I am preparing to wave the first flight off to New York!

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Bears_and_Pandas/American_bear.gif

angelorange
24th Aug 2006, 12:48
Someone else using the name?

Silverjet in Full Operation
Posted by Rich on Thursday, May 4, 2006
What is SilverJet?

SilverJet, a division of Pacific Airways, specializes in "on demand" charter as well as fractional ownership. We operate much in the same way companies like NetJets, Flight Options and FlexJet do. Our fleet consists of smaller, more luxurious aircraft, designed to take it's customers to smaller, less crowded airports, relieving our passengers of the stresses of airline travel. In a nutshell, this means pilots flying for SilverJet can find themselves flying to a whole new world of airports in smaller, faster aircraft, sometimes empty, sometimes with pax or cargo or both, at all times of the day and night!

What planes are in the Fleet?

The fleet is designed to provide options for our customers depending on their needs. We offer several aircraft all varying in size as well as performance. Our fleet currently consists of the Raytheon King Air 350, Cessna Citation II, Bombardier Lear Jet 45 and the Gulfstream IV.

Powerjet1
24th Aug 2006, 14:08
Seems to be two threads running concurrently on Silverjet. Mods; time to combine the two ?

Powerjet1
20th Sep 2006, 09:07
Things seem to be progressing for the company and acquisition of a third aircraft, to enable the airline to launch in December, seems quite likely. Saw this, a bit of which was taken from their website....

"Following our letter of intent to secure two Boeing 767-200 aircraft from Thomsonfly Limited, we are pleased to announce that, on 19th September 2006, we entered into a letter of intent for $37 million of financing with Novus Aviation Limited to sell and lease back, and to fund the refurbishment and fit out of the two aircraft. The arrangements extend for a period of ten years and include, within the fit out, the purchase and installation of the new Sicma flat beds.

Negotiations to secure a third Boeing 767-200 are at an advanced stage and a further announcement will be issued in due course. We are also putting the final preparations in place to start taking bookings soon. A call centre will support our website and will go live on the same day".

Powerjet1
2nd Oct 2006, 06:12
So Silverjet have acquired Flyjet. This taken from their website....

Silverjet, the British all business class low-fare airline to operate between London and New York , today announces that it has acquired the whole of the issued share capital of two related businesses, Flyjet and Skylease.

The acquisition of Skylease secures for Silverjet an additional Boeing 767 aircraft which will be its launch aircraft.

The aggregate consideration for the acquisition of Flyjet and Skylease will be between £4.0 million and £5.5 million in cash payable over a period of three years, dependent on the performance of the businesses and net assets at completion. The lease cost of the Boeing 767 is below both current market rates and the parameters in Silverjet’s business plan.

The acquisition of Flyjet, an international passenger airline, gives Silverjet immediate access to an Air Operator’s Certificate (“AOC”), Operating Licence and a worldwide Route Licence. This means that Silverjet will not need to outsource the operation of its aircraft to a third party, nor will it need to apply for its own AOC. As a consequence, Silverjet will achieve significant operating and capital expenditure savings and will be able to commence operations within a matter of months.

Skylease also leases two additional aircraft, both Boeing 757s, which are currently chartered to various tour operators through Flyjet.

Silverjet expects to formally announce the launch date for its inaugural all-business class service to New York within the next few weeks at which point the reservation system for advance bookings will go live. Last week, the Company has also been granted an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

Lawrence Hunt , Chief Executive Officer of Silverjet commented:

“The acquisitions we have announced today mean that Silverjet will be ready for take off within three to four months. Launching Silverjet in such a short period of time following our successful IPO is a significant achievement for our management team.

Silverjet is the first British airline to offer an all business class service. Our customers will be able to enjoy an industry beating 30 minute check in from a private jet terminal at London Luton an average £999 return fare and an award winning flat bed.

back >

Site map Privacy policy © 2006 silverjet plc

teachin
2nd Oct 2006, 18:59
They have a web site now, but no booking area yet, they are recruiting for crew,
Teachin

LGS6753
2nd Oct 2006, 19:47
This looks like a good deal.

For £4m they get the aircraft they need, at a better price than they expected.
They get an AOC, meaning they don't need to pay to borrow someone else's and/or acquire their own.
They get systems, management, cash-flow, suppliers, aircrew, cabin crew, etc without start-up costs.
They get a couple of 757s thrown in, with a year's contracts in place.
And since the Chairman of Silverjet is also Chairman of FJE, presumably he hasn't sold himself a pup.

Roll on Silverjet, Luton to the World...:ok: :ok:

Flightrider
2nd Oct 2006, 19:51
Or:

They get an AOC

They get no management as current FJE people are out

They get appalling cashflow problems as a legacy from FJE

They get two 757s with a set of charter contracts which aren't remotely relevant to the core business of flying Luton-transatlantic business class

They get a 767 which has an interesting track record with the CAA as their launch aircraft.

There are two ways of dressing up the same deal!

rm2242
2nd Oct 2006, 20:00
What's the interesting track record then? Whats it been up to since it left the desert???

teachin
2nd Oct 2006, 20:23
Oh dear, it isn't going to be another Now Airlines is it? I was burned with that and lost my appetite for aviation altogether, all the false expectations, all the promises of expansion, all the time taken to train up the crews, the offices were all up and running, the web site was all set, I was helping set the web site up, it looked good, then one letter saying thats it, all over and not a sausage since.

Any confirmed start date? we had three or four of those with Now and still nothing took off. I guess I will watch from afar, it was pure fluke I signed into pprune today to catch up, and now there is another "start up" and all the comments sound so familiar.

Teachin

Flightrider
2nd Oct 2006, 20:33
I would doubt that it is going to be "Now Airlines - the sequel" as I do think Silverjet will fly. With £25m of shareholder funding raised through a stock market listing, it has to do something, and shortage of funds surely cannot prevent it getting airborne. Quite how much of the £25m will disappear in paying off FlyJet's creditors is another debate, but it certainly shouldn't stop Silverjet getting off the ground.

teachin
3rd Oct 2006, 09:16
In for a penny, in for a pound, I submitted my CV last night and heard back within 15 minutes! Apparently they will be interviewing in November sometime, no date or offer as of yet though but was a very fast response to my CV!

Teachin

Doug the Head
3rd Oct 2006, 10:41
...I submitted my CV last night and heard back within 15 minutes! It´s called "auto-reply" so don´t get too exited. :hmm: Let´s wait and see...

Powerjet1
11th Oct 2006, 09:56
On the Cabin Crew thread, posting stating that the first flight, Luton to Newark will take place on 25 Jan 07. Not sure how definate that is and nothing on website... so far.

pabely
11th Oct 2006, 11:35
Powerjet1

Their booking engine allows dates from 25th Jan 2007.

Powerjet1
11th Oct 2006, 12:54
Cheers, found the new site now.

It looks impressive and the booking engine shows some fairly attractive prices. Initially with a daily flight ex LTN @ 10.00 returning @19.30 until end of March.

I think the official launch is meant to be within the next two weeks.

LTNman
12th Oct 2006, 05:14
Departure 10:00, say check-in for 9:00. It’s just a nightmare that at that time of the day the M1 will be grid locked and that the half-mile M1 spur road to junction 10A will be at a standstill all the way back onto the motorway. At least once past the A505 the run into the central area should be clear. The M1 roadworks could not have come at a worse time for Silverjet. Just hope that they are still around when the M1 and new dual carriageway into the airport are complete, which should improve traffic flows no end.

bacardi walla
12th Oct 2006, 08:05
Tell me how one can leave LTN @ 1000 and fly to EWR and be back at LTN by 1930 :confused: Or is that leaving EWR at 1930 :bored:

Also, will they run a service from LGW too ??

Powerjet1
12th Oct 2006, 08:41
Depart EWR @ 19.30, Arrive LTN @ 07.20 daily.

Powerjet1
12th Oct 2006, 08:51
The following is a regulatory announcement issued today to the stock ecxchange..........

12 October 2006

Silverjet plc ("Silverjet")

Silverjet takes to the sky in record time

Silverjet, the first British all business class low-fare airline, today confirms
that its first flight from London Luton to New York will be on Thursday 25
January 2007.

Customers can now book on-line and manage their entire travel itinerary at (edited)

Further to the announcement on 14 August 2006 that Silverjet had secured two
Boeing 767s under letters of intent, Silverjet today announces that on 11
October 2006 it entered into an agreement with Thomsonfly Limited to acquire
these aircraft.

umba
6th Nov 2006, 18:32
Anyone heard any recent news wrt ac availability, crew training or launch date?

Powerjet1
12th Nov 2006, 07:03
Tickets for the New York service have been on sale for a month now. Any ideas as to how they have been selling?. I've not seen any advertisements so far, nor is there any mention of the service on LTN's website. Thought they would have been shouting about this from the rooftops.

I suppose though, with the first flight still some ten weeks away, and being a business only service, seats will tend to sell much closer to departure date, than those of airlines selling a mix of both business & economy seating.

Man_User
16th Nov 2006, 10:59
Well according to jethro's Fleet listings, flyjet have now been taken over by silverjet. As all flyjet's A/C are now under the silverjet tab.

Although there is still a flyjet web site, im not sure how long the charter opertion will last. Espcailly if EA and EB dont have a serious refit ie engineering wise.
If not then EA and EB will have just as bad, if not worse; a year than they did in 06 due to the major tech problems on these 2 a/c throughout 06.

I just hope the money from Silverjet will help rather than hinder Flyjet.:hmm:

one on one
16th Nov 2006, 19:56
Well it is official G-FJEC is flying out of NCL, first flight was to ACE.
So as they say, all good things come to those who wait!

"May god bless this aircraft and all who fly in her" Hip Hip Horay

Well Done everyone at Silverjet & Flyjet

Powerjet1
16th Nov 2006, 20:26
one on one

So is the aircraft that Silverjet will be using to launch their transatlantic business-class service in January, following a refit/repaint etc ?.

lukeylad
16th Nov 2006, 20:57
Powerjet1

Shes had some sort of refit at lasham i think they just did up the interior.

Fuel Crossfeed
17th Nov 2006, 09:06
Good news that G-EC is finally up and running. If it is doing the FJE flights out of NCL then I guess it is in charter config, but the rumour is that this is the launch a/c for silverjet, so when are the flat bed seats being fitted and when is the respray to Silverjet colours happening?

LTNman
17th Nov 2006, 09:28
Work has started on Silverjets dedicated check-in area and lounge at LTN

egnxema
17th Nov 2006, 10:06
Where is it located, LTNman?

LTNman
17th Nov 2006, 14:52
Where is it located, LTNman?

Read the Luton Airport thread for all the news

gatwicknose
17th Nov 2006, 15:25
paint starts in two weeks or so...

Powerjet1
17th Nov 2006, 15:32
For what it is worth, Silverjet will announce interim results for the period ended 30 Sept, on wednesday, 22 November.

Man_User
19th Nov 2006, 13:01
Not sure if silverjet will run EC for there program, or the two Thomson 767's which are GB-RIF and GB-RIG

Although it would make seens as IG and IF are 204's and EC is 216. Not sure but i dont think there are major differences between them. But if i was to refit an A/C id like to do the same model next and run into the same problems.

Also that EC is now running charter why refit it to do charter then refit it again?

Either way im sure we will find out around December what silverjet intend to do.

Kenny Lingus
19th Nov 2006, 20:39
The total consideration for the two aircraft amounts to US $28.20 million (£15.19 million), of which US $2.82 million (£1.52 million) has been paid by way of deposit and the balance is payable as to US $12.69 million (£6.83 million) upon delivery of the first aircraft by the end of March 2007, and as to US $12.69 million (£6.83 million) upon delivery of the second aircraft by the end of October 2007.

From the Silverjet website. First A/C to arrive March 07. First flight Jan 07. Does not take the brains of a rocket scientist

Ken

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 11:02
Man_user, the 204 and 216 you refer to is the oringinal customer number the a/c was delivered too, e.g. 04 is (was) Britannia, 36 is BA, 3V is EZY, etc. It has nothing to do with a/c performance.

Cyrano
20th Nov 2006, 11:11
Man_user, the 204 and 216 you refer to is the oringinal customer number the a/c was delivered too, e.g. 04 is (was) Britannia, 36 is BA, 3V is EZY, etc. It has nothing to do with a/c performance.

I don't think the original poster was implying the model numbers affected performance. However the differences between model numbers often relate to interior fit, e.g. galley positions and equipment, so I would agree with man_user that all else being equal it would make sense to have a consistency between aircraft on this level.

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 12:00
Fair point:ok:

Man_User
21st Nov 2006, 13:29
Thankyou both Offstand and Cyrano, as i said i wasnt to sure what the 204/216 it meant other than the 2 bit, but as Cyrano has stated it is also to do with the fit of the a/c and thats what i was getting at.

Note to self : make yourself more clear :rolleyes::p

EDIT : Looks like EC IS going to be refited as well \/\/

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2978189&posted=1#post2978189 < flyjet thread

Powerjet1
22nd Nov 2006, 07:13
In their maiden results, released this morning, is the announcement of a second daily flight between Luton & Newark from late April 07. Advanced bookings, apparently well ahead of expectations.

Three 767s plus options on 2 more. Many other points so suggest look at website.

Buster the Bear
22nd Nov 2006, 09:10
http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=931131

Powerjet1
23rd Nov 2006, 06:15
Silverjet's second New York flight is now in their booking engine and starts on 2 July 07.

Flight schedule seems to be....

1st Flight. Depart Luton 1000 Arrive Newark 1300.
Depart Newark 1930 Arrive Luton 0820.

2nd Flight. Depart Luton 1700 Arrive Newark 2000.
Depart Newark 2145 Arrive Luton1035.

All times local.

lookoutbelow
28th Nov 2006, 10:04
Hi Guys,

Do any of you know what other routes Silverjet are considering after Newark? I know the business plan is to operate up to 10 B767's within 3 years but where to?

Lookoutbelow

Powerjet1
4th Dec 2006, 07:01
Silverjet, today, announced it has signed a deal with Luton airport to build the world's first private jet terminal for commercial passengers. Apparently it will seat up to 100 passengers, but no check-in desks, but will have its own customs, security & immigration. For passengers that have not already checked-in online etc, a kerb-side drop to a concierge will be available, pax then take their seats in the lounge, and a seat side check-in takes place

Is this the area which is currently being worked on near to the main passenger terminal or is something else planned.

Sa341
7th Dec 2006, 21:12
EWR JNB DXB and ORD

afterdark
8th Dec 2006, 00:21
I see the 767 has been painted with logos on a.net
buisness/first class/executive airline - dirty looking aircraft... bit lost for words really
is it just me ?, was I waiting to see something brighter/bold/artistic
ehhh ................ phhhhhh ..............errrrr.............................?????

The AvgasDinosaur
8th Dec 2006, 10:19
I see the 767 has been painted with logos on a.net
buisness/first class/executive airline - dirty looking aircraft... bit lost for words really
is it just me ?, was I waiting to see something brighter/bold/artistic
ehhh ................ phhhhhh ..............errrrr.............................?????
And here she is
http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/G-SJET_NF_071206.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1149678/M/
Hope it is of interest
Be lucky
David

The AvgasDinosaur
8th Dec 2006, 10:26
Each customer can specify their own equipment fit in a new aircraft as such it can be seats, galley layout, avionics fit, cockpit layout even as far as engines and fuel tankage. I think if I was taking on a small fleet new to my airline I would want them all to be as close as possible to the same specification. '04 is Britannia Airways '16 is Lan-Chile
http://www.plane-spotter.com/Aircraft/Boeing/Customer_numbers.htm
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

Powerjet1
8th Dec 2006, 10:31
Definitely needs something on the tail, at the very least. Disappointing.

bacardi walla
8th Dec 2006, 11:53
Definitely needs something on the tail, at the very least. Disappointing.

Discretion is the name of the game. It almost looks like a biz jet :D

Banzai Eagle
8th Dec 2006, 19:24
Walla I agree.
I hear some Pilots (10) from DHL Air have been offered jobs at Silverjet

LTNman
9th Dec 2006, 04:28
Silverjet, today, announced it has signed a deal with Luton airport to build the world's first private jet terminal for commercial passengers. Apparently it will seat up to 100 passengers, but no check-in desks, but will have its own customs, security & immigration. For passengers that have not already checked-in online etc, a kerb-side drop to a concierge will be available, pax then take their seats in the lounge, and a seat side check-in takes place
Is this the area which is currently being worked on near to the main passenger terminal or is something else planned.

That’s a hell of a big area just for only 100 passengers. I was in the Silverjet terminal a couple of weeks ago when it was still being gutted. The area in question is 60% of the old departure lounge shopping mall including all the shops on the left hand side as you face the old terminal, which have now been demolished. All of the food outlet village including the bar and kitchens and the old duty free shop.

Seeing that Silver jet intend to expand services out of Luton the area can accommodate several departures with some comfort.

For me there are three major issues, which can’t be resolved in the short-term. The nightmare traffic congestion due to the M1 roadworks. The fact that it looks like passengers are going to have to be bussed to the aircraft and that there are no air bridges at Luton to keep those expensive business suits dry when it rains

CAP493
10th Dec 2006, 19:38
...there are no air bridges at Luton to keep those expensive business suits dry when it rains
Maybe they'll acquire some steps with covered 'walkways' such as are used by BA and BMA at Aberdeen, for example?
:8

Heffer
14th Dec 2006, 18:02
Does anyone know Silverjets designation code or are they just using FJE for the time being?

Man_User
15th Dec 2006, 22:14
FJE for now, as still applying for they own licence. Just using flyjet to keep the caa happy ;)

Mr Angry from Purley
6th Jan 2007, 20:13
any news when pilot contracts are going out for silverjet yet, will new pilots fly for SJET or FJET :\

Powerjet1
7th Jan 2007, 08:05
With the inaugural flight to EWR just over two weeks away, I have yet to see any advertising for the service. True,there are frequent items in the quality press regarding Silverjet, and how everything seems to be going to plan for the launch, with seat sales above expectations etc, but nothing advertising the start of the service. I had heard there was to be a very slick, high profile marketing campaign, and one would think this should be well underway now.

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong mags/papers. Has anyone seen anything?

toledoashley
7th Jan 2007, 08:12
I have seen a lot of advetising in the travel magazines Conde Nast/Times Travel etc

mightymouse111
7th Jan 2007, 11:23
To the question on pilots flying for FJet or Sjet, I believe that Sjet pilots will be all based at Luton and fly the 767 but will do the occassional 757 Fjet flight and the Fjet crews will be based at their respective bases and do the occassional 767 flight from Luton. But like all things it will depend on numbers rosters etc.
Good luck Silverjet.

Powerjet1
8th Jan 2007, 08:40
I have seen a lot of advetising in the travel magazines Conde Nast/Times Travel etc

Received my copy of the Feb issue of Conde Nast Traveller in the post this morning, and yes, there is a full page advert for Silverjet in it, so you are correct. However, I've not seen anything else except on the side of a Portakabin, outside where work is taking place on the refurbishment of their business class terminal.

racasan
11th Jan 2007, 15:36
No pictures of cabin interior etc yet on website, is the A/c ready??? Leaving it a bit close.......

Jamesair
11th Jan 2007, 15:40
At least one cruise agent is selling a package linking a cruise to Silverjet flights.

TechProblem
11th Jan 2007, 15:57
A/c is in Manchester in one of the hangers, so i guess its almost ready ;)

toledoashley
11th Jan 2007, 17:28
For anyone who is in the trade - available through touchdown.

Silverjet. New and Exclusive to Touchdown! Great eligibility!

Your chance to savour the high life, travel in sheer luxury to New York for £549 return! No extras to pay....

Silverjet is the new all business class airline operating from London Luton Airport to Newark New York, utilising Boeing 767 aircraft in a 100 seater, all business configuration.

You’ll be amazed what you’ll find on board: the spacious Boeing 767 aircraft are fitted with just 100, one touch, 6' 3” flat beds. These planes were built to carry 300 people, so you'll be able to stretch out and enjoy loads of extra legroom.

Other features include: lounge check-in, personal entertainment system, bar including champagne, freshly cooked food when you want it and relaxed quiet cabin environment....all designed to make your trip a total pleasure.

The fare, exclusive to Touchdown is £471* return, (*price excludes taxes: approx £78), no fuel surcharges, the normal Silverjet fare £999, normal business class to New York on other carriers is up to £3000 return!

Our all in price is £549 return with nothing extra to pay!

We have some New York hotel specials from £75pp 2nts, with more specials to be added shortly. If accommodation is not taken a flight only supplement of £19 applies.
Rates valid from 01Feb-30Mar (some embargoes apply).Book by 28Feb.

Silver Class is unlike any other flying experience in the world. It’s designed to eradicate as many annoying and disruptive aspects of modern air travel as possible. It starts on the ground, and it doesn’t stop.

Flying Silver Class is like nothing on Earth. Or in the sky

BanjoBob
18th Jan 2007, 09:37
I just wish silverjet the best of luck at LLA. LLA has been desperate for this sort of ventur for a long time now and i think that the airport authorities should help as much as its needed because this could be the big breakthrough for long haul flights to and from LLA.

toledoashley
22nd Jan 2007, 13:34
When is the SilverJet aircraft due back from MAN, is the lounge ready yet?

ebenezer
22nd Jan 2007, 13:38
When is the SilverJet aircraft due back from MAN, is the lounge ready yet?
1. Tuesday 23rd January.

2. Nearly...

;)

Powerjet1
23rd Jan 2007, 18:01
So did the Silverjet 767 arrive from MAN today, ready for the inaugral flight to Newark on Thursday.

No doubt they will be posting some interior/exterior pics on their website very soon.

BestonBoard
23rd Jan 2007, 20:58
Hi Guys! Silver Spirit arrived 22/01/06. She has done a trial run for crew to KEF today. The silver lounge is 99.9% complete, Inaugral flight to EWR on the 25th is looking ready to go! Interior pics are only for those who come on board at the moment I'm afraid! You can see the exterior on Airliners.net. If you search Silverjet on Youtube you can see the respray happening by MAAS. First Lot of Cabin crew are trained and ready to go! There's no stopping us now! Hope to see some of you on board soon!

gatwicknose
24th Jan 2007, 09:38
Hope it all goes well!! The only thing that can let u down is the aircraft am a little sceptical about a one aircraft premium operation using a 24 year old aircraft with a very dicky history......hopefully u will pull thru the crucial first few weeks without any major technical issues??? Is the aircraft ETOPS on this route??? could add to journey times?

Buster the Bear
24th Jan 2007, 13:47
Second aircraft ex Thomo arrives shortly G-BRIG I think? This will be reconfigured at Luton by Thomo I understand, and be available in around 6-8 weeks for the additional service to New York starting July 2nd
Lots of trade advertising and the local TV news is offering a prize of return flights and hotel. Prime time advertising at minimal cost!

http://www2.abtn.co.uk/Assets/Images/Airlines/Silverjet%20interior%20image.jpg

air2bob
24th Jan 2007, 14:39
good luck to all at silverjet hope it's a big success!
:ok:

toledoashley
24th Jan 2007, 17:48
Good Luck to Laurance and all his crew.

jetsetwilly
24th Jan 2007, 20:02
Maybe they'll acquire some steps with covered 'walkways' such as are used by BA and BMA at Aberdeen, for example?
:8

Na, there's a new set of white 'normal ones'!!!

JSW.

Mr Angry from Purley
24th Jan 2007, 20:07
am sure the BA strike is going down well with Silverjet. I wish it better luck on its maiden voyage from LTN than Exclibur. First flight hit by a Catering truck and out of service for a while...loadsa subs..... :\

LTNman
24th Jan 2007, 20:30
The aircraft is parked on the eastern apron. Wonder if one of the airports flexi buses will be cleaned before it transports the VIP passengers?

Buster the Bear
24th Jan 2007, 20:39
I was told that the passengers would be transfered by luxury coach with darkened windows, to fully enclosed steps thus keeping total anonymity?

November 1995 reinacted? The future then was orange, maybe now the future is: SILVER

Powerjet1
25th Jan 2007, 06:55
Lots of local TV reporting already. Well done Silverjet. Luton to New York scheduled all business class. Who would have thought this would have really happened, say even 12 months ago.

Their website confirms second daily Newark flight from July, with a third by the end of the year.

Sa341
25th Jan 2007, 07:44
Well done LH, I know how hard it has been - enjoy today and tomorrow!!

jetsetwilly
25th Jan 2007, 09:32
The aircraft is parked on the eastern apron. Wonder if one of the airports flexi buses will be cleaned before it transports the VIP passengers?

Would that be the 'old ones' or the really, really old ones"?:}

JSW.

WoodleyBeacon
25th Jan 2007, 12:27
The PR Newswire site has a press release for Silverjet which has high-res actual photos of the aircraft interior as well as a 9-minute video which includes footage of the seat reclining, shots of the lounge at Luton and interviews with Lawrence Hunt and Peter Evans. Here's the link:

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/silverjet/26686/

(I've no connection with Silverjet but I've booked a return journey at the end of April so I'm a very interested customer!)

gatwicknose
25th Jan 2007, 13:47
old bus old plane!!

Buster the Bear
25th Jan 2007, 16:31
Predicted to make a profit in 2009. 10 planes by 2010.

andyafc
25th Jan 2007, 18:09
there were 68 people on the new service today and the silverlounge is very impressive :)

gms1991
25th Jan 2007, 19:01
Anybody on board? Would LOVE to hear how the first days service went!

Powerjet1
25th Jan 2007, 19:09
there were 68 people on the new service today and the silverlounge is very impressive :)

Today's flight had been showing as 'sold out' for the last 5/6 days. Tomorrow's outbound is the same. So what happenned to the other 32 pax. No doubt stuck on the M1 in that horrendous northbound holdup that occured this morning.

teachin
25th Jan 2007, 20:20
Don't know who reads the application CVs,probably someone who can't read. You have to be best pals with Martyn Bridger to get into that company. Once he's had his fill he'll sell it off and then we'll see where they go.
T

hoey5o
26th Jan 2007, 09:07
TEACHIN
I am confident you are absolutely not the right material for this company. Your post history say it all. You have something negative to say about almost every airline. Good luck with the job hunting though im sure with your attitude Zoom wont want to know either.

p.s MB does not own Silverjet

The best of luck to Silverjet

wan2fly
26th Jan 2007, 10:06
There always a couple of "no hopers" who have to be negative right throughout a new airline launch - do you guys get off on this or something ??? very very sad...
Anyway...
Powerjet - the aircraft was intended to go out with less pax this was so the crew could get used to the service as it was the first time they had done it and they could take their time and ensure that pax were 110% happy with everything..... What company looks after their staff this well??? Before someone says it yes no doubt SJ ensured the load was enough to pay for it self or something along those lines.... I have friends that are crew at SJ and all went well..

Re - The horrendous traffic situation on M1 - mmmmmmm how can this be solved in the short term? errrrrrrrr "LEAVE EARLIER" - Go figure !!!.:ugh:

Teachin - dear oh dear - as said above your always the same !!!! - maybe you should pick another career...tax inspector or traffic warden something to suit your glittering positive personality!!

Good luck SJ and all who fly with her.

Powerjet1
26th Jan 2007, 10:57
Wan2fly

Thanks for the info re pax numbers yesterday. Assume today's outbound was similar then, for the same reason. Anyway, well done Silverjet.

On a slightly different tack, the share price has been been rising considerably in recent weeks, as the inaugural flight date approached, and peaked at 167p yesterday, a 40% increase on its AIM offer price back in May last year.

wan2fly
26th Jan 2007, 11:09
Hi

Yes the pax numbers will be around the same for a week or so - about 70 crew in the initial classes so they all need to get used to the service...

I wish my airline would of done this instead of been thrown in a business class galley with a full load of pax !!:O

LTNman
27th Jan 2007, 05:44
Would have thought that with the BA strike set for Tuesday and Wednesday Silverjet would have made a killing and be sold out. Yet both days are available and tickets can be bought for as little as £470 for the Wednesday.

Powerjet1
27th Jan 2007, 06:28
The fares do seem to creeping up. The cheapest outbound on Tuesday is now £600(exc taxes) for a standard ticket & £810 for a flexible ticket. Inbounds are around the £530 mark.

gms1991
27th Jan 2007, 06:37
Have you tried Maxjet and Eos. They will probably be full.

Not everybody will have changed to a different carrier, they might have changed to a later date.

Also remember there is Virgin, Continental, Delta and American from LON.

Anyway, shoud give Silverjet a booster start!

Powerjet1
27th Jan 2007, 06:50
Both Maxjet & Eos have seats available for the dates in question.

LTNman
28th Jan 2007, 19:19
worth a read :ok: http://www.abtn.co.uk/COMMENT__Concorde_is_dead__Long_live_the_business_class_airl ines

gms1991
28th Jan 2007, 19:27
Could LTN have started ANOTHER revolution? It kick started the European LC market with EZY in 1995, could it now have the oposite market up it's sleeve?!

Great to see LTN blossoming and growing while in competition with LCY, LHR, LGW and STN.

pabely
31st Jan 2007, 11:10
Hope it all goes well!! The only thing that can let u down is the aircraft am a little sceptical about a one aircraft premium operation using a 24 year old aircraft with a very dicky history......hopefully u will pull thru the crucial first few weeks without any major technical issues??? Is the aircraft ETOPS on this route??? could add to journey times?

I heard Monarch Engineering failed the ETOPS check so must be flying the long way round. Has this effected flight times and did Silverjet think they were getting an ETOPS machine?

Pilot Pete
31st Jan 2007, 12:35
did Silverjet think they were getting an ETOPS machine? That's what they bought, and judging by the picture here http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/silverjet/26686/images/26686-hi-silverjet5.jpg They clearly think it is/ will be ETOPS. (zoom in at the nose wheel door)

PP

bracebrace!
31st Jan 2007, 19:12
And I hope they photoshoped the cleaners van out of the background or the photographer should be shot!

Mr @ Spotty M
31st Jan 2007, 21:58
pabely
Not only did MAEL fail the ETOPS check according to you , but they failed also to get the contract, full stop.
It's MyTravel who have the contract for Technical Services and Engineering, not MAEL.
Unless MAEL are covering the Line operation at Luton until MyTravel recruit locally, but l don't think that is happening, but what do l know as l only work for them.:confused:

The AvgasDinosaur
1st Feb 2007, 08:15
Hope it all goes well!! The only thing that can let u down is the aircraft am a little sceptical about a one aircraft premium operation using a 24 year old aircraft with a very dicky history......hopefully u will pull thru the crucial first few weeks without any major technical issues??? Is the aircraft ETOPS on this route??? could add to journey times? Please can you elaborate on ........."with a very dicky history".............
No being critical of your post just curious.:confused:
Be lucky
David

MAX
1st Feb 2007, 08:37
I flew this bird in its previous life. She is old and temperamental thats all.

MAX:cool:

pabely
1st Feb 2007, 09:05
Ok Mr @ Spotty M, I bow to your superior knowledge. I was more interested in the fact that Maxjet machines are not ER versions, so Silverjet could shave less time off their route and thus get further advantage.

HandoverRichard
1st Feb 2007, 09:48
Pilot Pete:

I'm impressed with your powers of observation...when I got to that bottom photo I couldn't remove my eyes from what was standing by the plane!

;)

Nullaman
1st Feb 2007, 12:27
I am with HandoverRichard on this one!

Better get CV out now!!!

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Feb 2007, 17:25
You wait to you see one of the F/O's thats joining them! :\

Mr @ Spotty M
1st Feb 2007, 19:45
pabely
You might well be correct in that they might not have ETOPS approval yet.
On the other hand they might have only 120 mins or 138 mins, which l believe is the best to go for, on the routes that they have or are thinking of.
On the other hand they might be having a problem ensuring that only ETOPS qualified parts have been fitted to the a/c over it's life time.
This can slow the approval process down a little.:ok:

Powerjet1
5th Feb 2007, 08:33
A good article for the airline.
http://www.abtn.co.uk/FLYING_AT_THE_FRONT_END__Silverjet__Luton_to_Newark

Banzai Eagle
7th Feb 2007, 19:44
Any offers on load factors so far, heard it was 60+ to break even ???:

ClearLand08
9th Feb 2007, 14:34
According to the review of SilverJet in The Times, and confirmed by a reply to the article from another passenger, the bed on the current SilverJet 767 is actually inclined, by some 8 degrees? I found this suprising given their advertising.

Does anyone know if the next two 767's which are to be delivered shortly really will have flat-beds?

Banzai Eagle
9th Feb 2007, 17:06
Yesterdays flight was cancelled, presume the snow had an effect like many other airlines

lgwechobravo
9th Feb 2007, 18:41
Have the Silverjet management remembered of a small part of the company called FLYJET? :mad:

Twin2040
9th Feb 2007, 18:55
Slightly off track here - sorry - MAXJET will get 2 more 762 ER and they are ETOPS.

boredcounter
9th Feb 2007, 19:28
In short, no you should not be concerned.
'ET may be 21 years old, but that means 21 years safe flying.
Sit back, relax and enjoy your flight :)
Bored

scaredofflying
9th Feb 2007, 21:59
thanks for the reply bored, though my post has disappeared. Just wondered why one pilot who said he flew the plane said it was dicky:uhoh:

lm06
10th Feb 2007, 21:16
flew both ways with them last week
lovely staff...very hospitable

re the flat beds....they are FLAT
they are NOT horizontal
perfectly adequate and correctly priced compared to other biz class offerings

Buster the Bear
10th Feb 2007, 21:42
For the price, the service, the hassle free check in, folk can quite easily accept an 8 degree incline. Are the seats though, generous enough to accept a big brown bear?

scaredofflying
11th Feb 2007, 08:44
does it have it's own check in at Newark? And can you check in as late as 45 minutes before like in Luton

lm06
11th Feb 2007, 16:00
Bear, it's standard biz class seat......

Yes they do but it's tucked away downstairs
When you draw up outside and it says "Silverjet" on the neon sign
along with the other airlines it doesn't mean they're right inside the door
Go in, turn left, walk way down the end....El Al is there I believe, then
go down 2 levels (arrivals area ??) and the Silverjet lounge titled "Silver Lounge" is right there....they check you in outside the door to the lounge.
Very courteous outfit from start to finish.

Lounge at Newark: It's a bit ad-hoc but it's fine...more space at LTN - lovely there
And LTN was only 45mins from central Lon at 7am via North Circ/M1

Jamesair
11th Feb 2007, 16:27
What happens if an a/c goes u/s? They would never be able to substitute because they would'nt be able to find an aircraft with the layout the pax expect.

Just curious

LGS6753
11th Feb 2007, 18:36
Despite the 'questionable' 767, Silverjet has despatched on time since start-up.

mikeharper
11th Feb 2007, 21:02
The a/c went to Manchester yesterday morning. Presumably for a plugs and points change!

scaredofflying
11th Feb 2007, 21:45
why was the flight cancelled

LTNman
12th Feb 2007, 04:13
There must be days built into the service when a flight can’t be booked due to a one aircraft operation and pre- arranged maintenance. No doubt this could well show as a cancelled flight when no flight was intended to operate.

boredcounter
12th Feb 2007, 04:54
Indeed,
But 3 weeks into a new flagship service, is it wise to indicate the flight is cancelled?
Ferry flying a 767 LTN-MAN-LTN just for scheduled maint has got to hurt the pocket, but, I guess must be done, if no facilities at LTN. Thats 2 lost 'product building' sectors gone so early in. Must be budgeted for.
I dare say, line tasks can be carried out at either end of the route, but I echo the big question previously asked:
What contingency is available for "on the day unserviceability?"
Moving, even 40 each way, is going to cost. The Legacey carriers will make sure of that. Try booking on the day, they will cash in, they are being challenged in their own front yard.
Maybe, somone will set up an ACMI operation to cover this, but I bet it is a long way off.
Good luck to Silverjet, hope they do work, hope 'ET does them proud, until such time, I cross my fingers they need no unscheduled downtime, i.e. stay away birds, baggage carts and bowsers.
Bored

Powerjet1
12th Feb 2007, 05:25
The next dates are sat 24 Feb & sat 17 March. Sunday flights operate as normal as aircraft returns from Man early AM. The booking engine shows "Sorry, no flights/seats availalable for this leg of your journey. Try another date" on the dates in question.

Doesn't the first Thomsonfly 767 move over to Silverjet for "fitting out, checks" etc, in the next 3/4 weeks ?.

scaredofflying
24th Feb 2007, 12:05
Well the comfort was good, the aircraft sound and I have to say very smooth. One or two things need improving but for the money it beat what was it other rival easily which was Virgin Premium economy.

Powerjet1
26th Feb 2007, 20:09
Well the markets seem to have taken to Silverjet, the share price showing a 60% increase since mid October. In fact it closed today at 195p, an increase of some 38% since the inaugural flight just a month ago.

Is the first Thomsonfly 767 having it's refit next month?

Buster the Bear
26th Feb 2007, 21:11
I understand that the second airframe is due to be turned silver next month and be available by May 07? This work is to be done by an airline that I cannot remember which name they are using this week but were once called Euravia?

Powerjet1
1st Mar 2007, 08:58
Silverjet have posted their pax figs for Feb.

They carried 2911 pax out of available seats of 5100, giving a 45% load factor.

Their CEO is quoted in saying " These are outstanding results after only a full month of operation".

Apparently forward bookings and cash takings are significantly ahead of expectations.

Share price up 6.5p this morning.

lostinBRU
1st Mar 2007, 12:17
They carried 2911 pax out of available seats of 5100, giving a 45% load factor.

How is load factor calculated?

I'm a simple soul and would have thought that 2550 pax would represent a 50% LF?? :confused:

Powerjet1
1st Mar 2007, 13:00
The website says 45% load factor excludes promotional and discounted fares so the total pax carried actually gives a load factor of about 57%.Of these, some 12% would appear to at discounted fares. 45% is based on non discounted fares.

Cyrano
1st Mar 2007, 13:02
Fear not, lostinBRU, you may be a simple soul but you are also correct.
The original Silverjet press release says that they achieved a 45% load factor excluding passengers on promotional or discounted fares.
45% of 5100 = 2295, so of their 2911 passengers, 2911-2295 = 616 were freebies, journalists, travel agents on fam trips, other airline staff on special interline deals etc. Seems about normal especially for the first month of a new service.
Thus total load factor = 57%, revenue load factor (a better measure of how many seats they actually sold) = 45%

lostinBRU
1st Mar 2007, 13:07
As usual, and with most other things in life.............

There is always a reason! ;)

come on
3rd Apr 2007, 10:19
Just returned from a very quick trip to NYC with Silverjet and wanted to congratulate the whole team on an excellant product.
I wish you all every success in the future and well done.

Level bust
3rd Apr 2007, 10:45
I have also just flown with Silverjet. About 56 outbound but full on the return flight.

Service was superb.

Powerjet1
3rd Apr 2007, 11:16
Good to see many positive comments in the early weeks of operation. Load factor for March increased to 59%, February was 45%.

Buster the Bear
3rd Apr 2007, 14:24
I understand that a recent flight back from NYC was cancelled and the passengers returned Virgin pleb class?

I wonder if Level bust had enough leg room with Silverjet?

WoodleyBeacon
3rd Apr 2007, 14:35
This article appears in tonight's London Evening Standard:

BUSINESS class-only carrier Silverjet has come back to investors for another £25 million just 10 weeks after the launch of its daily transatlantic services between Luton and New York.

Silverjet raised £25 million at its flotation ten months ago but since then has incurred around £21 million of extra costs that it had not envisaged but which should save it money in the longer term.

The carrier founded and led by Lawrence Hunt, a scion of the Foyles bookshop family, said today it is raising just short of £25 million after expenses with the placing of nearly 14.5 million shares at 180p, a discount to last night's closing price.

The shares today increased 31/2p to 190p, more than 50% higher than where they started last summer after Hunt said Silverjet is expected to smash City expectations this year following a far better-than-expected launch.

Figures from the carrier today showed its 100-seater specially-customised Boeing 767s and 757s flew 59% full in March, close to financial breakeven and a stunning start for a fledgling airline using an unproven business model of flying business class-only and up against two American rivals Eos and Maxjet, which launched in the market first.

'We are delighted by the investor appetite for Silverjet stock which we believe reflects our ongoing success and strong prospects,' said Hunt.

The extra costs have come through the acquisition aircraft leases - when it previously expected to hire aircraft - and the refurbishment of its own lounge at Luton airport rather than piggybacking another airline's facilities.

Level bust
3rd Apr 2007, 15:04
Fortunately I am shorter than 6' 3", which is shorter than the seat when flat. I also had the seat by the overwing exit on the way out - so even more leg room!

pabely
24th Apr 2007, 12:47
As reported today:
Silverjet the all business-class airline, has taken delivery of its second aircraft which will begin operating on the carrier's London Luton to New York Newark Airport route this summer.
The airline began daily flights to New York at the end of January this year, offering a business class product for lower prices than full-service airlines.
It now plans to add a second daily return service using the new Boeing 767-200 aircraft, which it will equip with 100 six-foot three-inch long beds.

"We are delighted to announce the delivery of our second aircraft as we build on the success of our first 100 days of operations," said the airline's chief executive Lawrence Hunt.
"We have again demonstrated our ability to deliver on the objectives set out at the IPO and have been taking bookings since December 2006 for our second daily return service to Newark New York which will launch on 2 July 2007 from our private terminal facility at London Luton Airport."
Having a private terminal at Luton means that check-in times for Silverjet flights are cut to 30 minutes (for those with only carry-on baggage).

Brian Fantana
24th Apr 2007, 19:19
Interesting news about the 2nd 767 glad things are progressing, how are things going looking for replacements for G-FJEA and EB?

Powerjet1
25th Apr 2007, 05:16
Noticed on another website that the airline is advertising for cabin crew etc, but with interviews only taking place in the Middle East. Assume this relates to Silverjet's rumoured eastern expansion to Dubai, Bangkok & Beijing.

jethro15
25th Apr 2007, 12:03
..........has taken delivery of its second aircraft.
Anyone know when, where?

jethro

BestonBoard
27th Apr 2007, 13:10
Hi Jethro,

The last flight I operated, a/c no2 was parked directly ahead of us at LTN. still in Thompsonfly colours at the moment. She is due to be repainted soon tho.

Captain Capstan
27th Apr 2007, 15:25
G-BRIG ex Thomsonfly G-BRIF due to go at the end of the summer

lgwechobravo
27th Apr 2007, 18:00
Still no mention of Flyjet and their replacement a/c for the winter, or indeed any possibilities of new charter contracts to occupy the aircraft, if replacements were found!!!!

Its a bit premature I know, but RIP Flyjet :( (Silverjet management, you'll regret loosing FJE, it has potential and the crews are some of the most flexible, adaptable and energetic in the industry - just think before you make the last decision!).

Powerjet1
2nd May 2007, 17:03
Load factor for April increased again to 61.6%(based on revenue only seats). Not bad really, after only three months of operations.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
2nd May 2007, 17:20
Thats all well and good but what about some more destinations,
SFO would be good for me :ok:

pabely
2nd May 2007, 17:23
Be patient, I'm told negotiations are well under way - but not SFO.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
2nd May 2007, 18:04
Do you know where then? dont tell me Boston or washington
as I think Maxjet are going to announce Boston soon and they
are about to re-star Washington.
We need some west coast links.

pabely
3rd May 2007, 08:20
Wrong side of the world my friend, can't say any more until things are signed on the dotted line.

Nato 35
3rd May 2007, 10:28
Interviewing for cabin crew to be based in the Middle East. Now I'm not a rocket scientist but ......................

35:cool:

captjns
3rd May 2007, 10:51
Maxjet would like to start service between KMCO and KFLL to EGSS when aircraft 4 and 5 come on line. KIAD starts up 23 May. Talks of KLAX or KSFO service is further in the future after Florida. They do, however, want to build up their charter business too.

Mr @ Spotty M
3rd May 2007, 16:11
Maxjet starts STN to LAX August 30th, l have just read.:ok:

oncemorealoft
17th May 2007, 16:45
Is Russell Fraser no longer at Silverjet?
He no longer appears on the Management Team page on their web site. He was previously listed as Commercial Director.

kgfive
18th May 2007, 07:12
Hi from a newbie.

We ( G.E.A.E. Prestwick ) have just been awarded the contract for overhaul of SilverJets engines. 1 engine on it's way soon with orders for 10 aircraft in the pipeline, hope this is usefull info to some of you :ok:

Powerjet1
27th May 2007, 05:45
Silverjet's second daily LTN-EWR is due to start on 1 July. However, between the 1st & 20th July, the second flight is showing as "Sold Out" every day. No way can this be the case, so is fitting out of the second aircraft taking longer than expected, delaying the start by about three weeks ?

thepeacock
1st Jun 2007, 07:46
I hear Silverjet wants to start Luton - Chicago for the winter.

Powerjet1
2nd Jun 2007, 17:11
Today's flight did not operate to EWR and it looks like tomorrow's flight is going the same way. Both days show "Flight sold out", their usual phrase for a cancelled flight. Is there some underlying problem, since all saturday flights this month share the same fate, and the second daily, due to start on 1 July, has been put back for at least three weeks. Anyone know anymore ?

Ian Brooks
2nd Jun 2007, 17:37
Their aircraft is in Manchester for maintenance, it arrived mid afternoon
today

Ian

Mr Angry from Purley
2nd Jun 2007, 17:47
Powerjet1
The aircraft requires an Engineering A check after certain amount of flight hours. These checks are undertaken by My Travel at Manchester. The Airline will calculate when these checks are due (its not rocket science to calculate the hours based on a JFK being aprox 14 hrs per day) and then take out either a service or 2 services on a planned basis. By the sounds of it the weekends are the quieter times for JFK so they do it then.
:\

Powerjet1
2nd Jun 2007, 18:05
Thanks for that. Just that in the past, since day one of ops, it seemed to be every other saturday, up to MAN for checks and then back in service on sunday. However, appreciate that sometimes, things will take longer and different factors will come into play.

Chopper69
2nd Jun 2007, 21:56
Anyone remember Laker Airways??!!

Flightrider
3rd Jun 2007, 13:56
It's a bit more than routine maintenance - G-SJET is in for an engine change.

atmosphere
3rd Jun 2007, 14:43
I see SilverJet cancelled a flight the other day due to tech Aircraft!!

But what im wondering is how do the pax get to new york?? do silverjet ship them off to BA? how does it work?

Buster the Bear
3rd Jun 2007, 19:03
Following a huge delay due technical problems fairly recently, folk were shipped back 'sardine' class with Virgin. They did get a free return ticket for their suffering I understand.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
3rd Jun 2007, 19:39
They should try to fit them on MAX and EOS, I would be well pissed
to be put onto VS or BA and (Y) class is such a joke. :mad:

Powerjet1
3rd Jun 2007, 19:49
http://uk-airport-news.info/stansted-airport-news-030607a.htm

nickmanl
3rd Jun 2007, 20:04
Anyone remember Laker Airways??!!

Slightly random! Of course people remember Laker Airways but they arent really similar to Silverjet apart from the fact they both fly transatlantic!

Powerjet1
4th Jun 2007, 06:59
Has announced it is to purchase two further 767s from Thomsonfly, with delivery for both aircraft to take place in March 08. Will bring the total to 5.

WoodleyBeacon
4th Jun 2007, 08:09
From today's Dow Jones International News:

MONDAY--Silverjet announced that, on Jun. 1, 2007, it entered into a letter of intent to acquire two British maintained Boeing 767-200 extended range aircraft with Thomsonfly Limited.

The letter of intent provides for delivery of both aircraft to Silverjet during March 2008. This brings the number of Boeing 767-200 aircraft either in Silverjet's possession, under binding contract or letter of intent to five.

Both of the new aircraft are the Boeing 767-200 Extended Range (ER) variant and, in common with Silverjet's other aircraft, are powered by General Electric CF6 engines, in these cases the more powerful CF6-80C2B4F type. The company said this provides greater take off performance, allowing Silverjet to operate on most long haul routes from its base at London Luton Airport.

No announcement has been made as to what routes these two further aircraft will operate on. Silverjet has a further 30 routes under consideration, other than the London Luton to New York Newark route currently operated.

The company said that in May 2007 load factor was 62.6% and revenue seats flown was 3,628.

Lawrence Hunt, Chief Executive, said: "This is now our fourth month of growth and our forward bookings continue to be ahead of the Board's initial expectations. We have again delivered an impressive on time performance on London Luton to New York Newark daily service."

Silverjet also said Monday that it has decided to delay until late July the introduction of its second daily service from London Luton to New York Newark while its first aircraft undergoes its C-check, a standard 18 monthly maintenance service.

The Company has decided to bring forward the C-check on its first aircraft to July, as this is traditionally the quietest month for transatlantic business travel.

The airline took delivery of its second aircraft, which has recently undergone its C-check, on Apr. 27. A comprehensive fit out of the aircraft, including 102 6 ft 3 in beds, is in progress. [ 04-06-07 0656GMT ]

WoodleyBeacon
4th Jun 2007, 08:12
There's also a similar newswire report this morning from the Regulatory News Service which includes the following statement from Lawrence Hunt:

Lawrence Hunt, Chief Executive of Silverjet, said:

"We are delighted to have secured a letter of intent for two further long range aircraft for delivery in March 2008. With these five aircraft we are on track to operate ten aircraft within three years as set out at the time of our IPO. These aircraft have the more powerful engine type which will enable us to fly to destinations in India, China, South Africa as well as the West Coast of the USA with 100 passengers from our unique terminal facility at London Luton Airport.

"We are also pleased to announce very strong passenger and on time statistics for May, maintaining the high level of load factor we reached in April of this year. This is now our fourth month of growth and our forward bookings continue to be ahead of the Board's initial expectations. We have again delivered an impressive on time performance on London Luton to New York Newark daily service.

"Our second daily service will now come into full operation in late July to allow our first aircraft to receive its full C-Check. We have decided to bring this forward to July as it is the quietest month for transatlantic business travel and will cause minimum disruption for our customers.

"We have received fantastic feedback on our award winning business class product including 3 travel industry awards. We are delighted with our strong load factors and on time statistics and look forward to offering our exclusively business class product on additional routes."

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Jun 2007, 16:05
Dow Jones did not quite get it right, first aircraft has JT9D-7R4 fitted.:uhoh:

LTNman
4th Jun 2007, 16:32
Saw lots of passengers turning up for todays departure. Only thing missing was their aircraft

Mr Angry from Purley
4th Jun 2007, 18:03
Yeah I remember Laker, I worked for him then he went bust:\
Probably a silly question but didnt the Aircraft come fresh out of C Check whilst it sat round for months on end with FlyJet, or was that 18 months ago!
:\

LTNman
5th Jun 2007, 15:00
Another bad day for Silverjet. Their aircraft was on the engine run up bay when it should have been over the Atlantic. The aircraft didn’t taxi until 15:30

WoodleyBeacon
6th Jun 2007, 07:56
Flightview is showing that yesterday's flight (which was already badly delayed as LTNman had noted) was diverted to Hartford CT arriving 7.58 PM local time, having been in the air for some 9 hours! I wonder what happened? The return flight is shown as having left Hartford at 1.32 AM local time this morning and is due to arrive at LTN at 12.49 PM today. (The LTN website is showing today's flight to EWR as scheduled to leave at 2.30 PM.)

LTNman
6th Jun 2007, 13:19
Seems that Silverjet has a major reliability issue with its old 767. Don’t think they have had a single departure that has left within 3 hours of its scheduled departure time this month.

WoodleyBeacon
11th Jun 2007, 08:15
The following piece was in yesterday's Sunday Times, good to see that Silverjet quickly arranged compensation:

THE PERILS of booking on an airline with just one aircraft became apparent last weekend when the business class-only carrier Silverjet's fleet of one "went technical". Sunday Times readers Richard and Marta Perry had booked £999 return flights to New York, but their outbound flight was delayed for four hours due to mechanical problems, and the return cancelled altogether. Instead of enjoying 75in flat beds, they flew home in 31in Virgin economy seats.

Another tale of passengers fighting for compensation from an airline that responds with legal loopholes? Unusually not. Within 48 hours, Silverjet had refunded the cost of the cancelled flight and offered the Perrys, and 78 other passengers, complimentary return seats as compensation.

"We are extremely disappointed to have let our customers down, but we will never compromise safety," said Silverjet's CEO, Lawrence Hunt. "Our compensation policy is the best in the business, and we hope that Mr and Dr Perry will take up our offer to fly Silverjet again."

Buster the Bear
11th Jun 2007, 08:22
It is hard enough gaining customers when you are a new airline. With a single plane currently and multiple delays and cancellations, no matter how good your compensation is, folk will naturally look elsewhere - and that is not good for business!

I just hope that the next 9 'used' airframes are more reliable?