PDA

View Full Version : Qantaslink Cadets --> Mainline

Guptar
30th Apr 2008, 13:06
I have several mates and matettes who are going through the selection process for the QLink traineship. They reported that they are being told that there will be guaranteed progression into mainline.

If I was a QLink driver I think I would e a bit miffed.

Gearupandorrf
30th Apr 2008, 13:26
It is mainline- Virgin Blue mainline!

crank1000
30th Apr 2008, 13:28
The only thing Link and QF have in common are the paint jobs on the tail.

HappyBandit
1st May 2008, 00:01
No Guptar is correct....was told the same thing at interview.....and it is no secret they even have it on the trainesship website. Condition is that you have to remain with QLink for at least 2 years before applying for mainline. There is also a recent agreement that has been put in place to allow the progression......this is only new as previously it WAS difficult to move over.

Altimeters
1st May 2008, 01:21
Is it only applicable to cadets? Or are direct entry candidates able to progress just the same?

grrowler
1st May 2008, 03:54
Is this a new actual progression thing or the old after two years you can apply and have one entry requirement waived? ie. You still need to do interview, sim, etc.

If it's the same old, it really doesn't mean a pinch of sh*t, as you have no better (some would argue even less, but I don't know) chance than anyone else off the street.

If it's actual guaranteed progression, that's fantastic, but I would want it written into my contract.

It sounds more like one of their disappearing carrots to me, be careful...:suspect:

charlie uniform mike
1st May 2008, 08:41
On the website it states you must stay for 4 years to not have to pay out your bond. Does this mean if you go to Qantas mainline after 2 years you will need to pay your bond out???

Lasiorhinus
1st May 2008, 08:55
More than likely, leaving after two years for Qantas would be considered leaving within four years, and they'd hit you with the bill.

Interesting to note too that candidates for the interviews are being advised by the recruiter to not say anything about intending to progress to jets - apparently by saying you want to fly jets, the interviewers will advise you to go and apply to a jet operator.

dreamjob
1st May 2008, 10:39
Interesting to note too that candidates for the interviews are being advised by the recruiter to not say anything about intending to progress to jets - apparently by saying you want to fly jets, the interviewers will advise you to go and apply to a jet operator.

I heard that too, so I'm quite surprised to hear them saying you'll progress to mainline in the interviews (seeing that it's what they don't want you to say).

Lasiorhinus
1st May 2008, 10:48
Maybe its a trap:}

Maybe they tell you before the interview "whatever you do, dont say you want to fly jets", and then in the interview they ask where you see yourself in ten years, and apparently the ones who say "flying Dash 8s for you!" are the ones who are telling porkies...

Trouble is, it unfairly discriminates against the people who legitimately DO want to remain driving dash 8s... the very people QantasLink should be trying their hardest to attract and keep!

AviatoR21
1st May 2008, 11:38
I was asked what I see myself doing in 10 years, I chose the honest way. I said hopefully flying jets as an airline pilot around the world.

But I also did say I am willing to stay with QLink till I get command. Who knows how they took it but hey I got offered a position.

Keg
1st May 2008, 13:31
If QFLink are indeed offering cadetships to QF then make sure you get that in writing.

Whilst you're at it, you could also try and get it in writing that your seniority starts at mainline the day you join QFLink......that's a hell of a way to assist in retention! Oh wait, I forgot. There are HEAPS of QF drivers who reckon that you shouldn't get a seniority number until the day you join mainline. Ah well. That also stuffs up all those flying instructors that QF was going to take on but wanted to stay flying instructing on $75-80K a year for a couple of years and then bring them in with a protected seniority number.

(Sorry, I should know better than to be cynical on someone else's thread...particularly when it's got the potential to 'thread drift' as badly as this issue does!).

Mr Cat
1st May 2008, 14:57
I have been offered a spot on the course and have heard nothing about GUARANTEED progression. All I have heard is that after 2 years, one entry requirement is waived (psych & aptitude) but sim and interview still applies.

Any other thoughts ????

SW_US
1st May 2008, 16:51
please see this thread on flow-through or "guaranteed" spots at mainline, and how they do it at my company

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=25676

crank1000
2nd May 2008, 11:34
I get the general feeling that people who are hired by link expect to get a position at main after a certain time blah, blah. If this was the case, why would anyone stay at link? An SO at main making 100k or Capt at link making 80k? Why would anyone stay at link?

How about if you want to work for mainline then apply to mainline? Dont try to back door it by going to link and then whining when you cant progress through.

If they offered progression then everyone would have to start at link.

Qantslink is a brand only. It is run as an (almost) completely seperate operation from mainline.

Why is this so hard to understand?