PDA

View Full Version : Charter Airlines 08/09

tobyelliottuk
30th Apr 2008, 11:54
There's been a few threads on this in bits & pieces, but I thought I would try and bring it all together...

What does 2008 + 2009 bring for the major charter airlines?

1) Thomsonfly + First Choice = TUIfly?
With them getting rid of their 737 classics & the airbus models will there be any recruitment this year or next? Will they continue to do the low-cost, seat-only stuff with rising fuel costs?

2) MyTravel + Thomas Cook = Thomas Cook
What will this look like... with decent long-haul concepts from First Choice (Star Class & SC Premier); Thomsonfly (Plus & Premium) & XL (One) - how/are Thomas Cook adapting their onboard experience? Will they need any additional pilots?

3) XL
Expansion / Consolidation ? - any major new routes with the new 737-900s & A330s coming online this year?

4) Monarch
With the delay in the 787s are we going to see more 767s join the fleet to bridge capacity - any new routes developing as part of their long-haul, low cost ideas? Will they / have they improve(d) their long-haul experience?

I'm just a cadet, so if I've got any facts/figures wrong I apologise - don't bite my head off...

All replies welcome,

Cheers,

T

Pilot Pete
30th Apr 2008, 22:30
1) Thomsonfly + First Choice = TUIfly? Not quite, TUI Travel Plc.
With them getting rid of their 737 classics & the airbus models will there be any recruitment this year or next? Doubt it. Voluntary redundancy package just offered due to an overall fleet reduction of 10 airframes for S09. Will they continue to do the low-cost, seat-only stuff with rising fuel costs? No, but nothing to do with rising fuel costs. The business plan is going in a different direction.

PP

tobyelliottuk
30th Apr 2008, 22:54
Thanks for the response. I understand the name of the owner is TUI Travel PLC, but have they decided on a name as of yet for the merged First Choice Airways and Thomsonfly?

Cheers,

T

Wipeout
30th Apr 2008, 22:58
Not yet, prob wait till the B787's arrive before the re-brand comes.

fatboy slim
1st May 2008, 07:26
Long long time then.....

tobyelliottuk
1st May 2008, 10:00
Well, #1 can be crossed off the list...now the rest?

2) MyTravel + Thomas Cook = Thomas Cook
What will this look like... with decent long-haul concepts from First Choice (Star Class & SC Premier); Thomsonfly (Plus & Premium) & XL (One) - how/are Thomas Cook adapting their onboard experience? Will they need any additional pilots?

3) XL
Expansion / Consolidation ? - any major new routes with the new 737-900s & A330s coming online this year?

4) Monarch
With the delay in the 787s are we going to see more 767s join the fleet to bridge capacity - any new routes developing as part of their long-haul, low cost ideas? Will they / have they improve(d) their long-haul experience?

Thanks again,

T

Flying Torquewrench
1st May 2008, 10:16
#4 Monarch: Nobody knows as of yet if and what kind of interim lift there will be, to bridge the 787 delay. Leaseprices of widebody's have gone through the roof after Boeing announced the delay on the 787 program.

Monarch doesn't do scheduled long haul (yet). The only long haul we do is charter work and this may and will vary from year to year.

BRAKES HOT
1st May 2008, 12:03
#2) TC - All longhaul is on the 330's for the summer, all quietly reconfigured for extra legroom throughout the cabin. 76's on shorthaul prog only / long haul rescue flights / subs. Probably going to be a largish shorthaul order at some point. Think recruitment is done now for the summer

HTH

tobyelliottuk
2nd May 2008, 07:34
Cheers for all the responses so far...

only #3 to go:-

3) XL
Expansion / Consolidation ? - any major new routes with the new 737-900s & A330s coming online this year? Any employment opportunities?

Thanks as always,

T