PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recruiting?

V-PJ
30th Apr 2008, 10:57
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows any operators currently recruiting low-hours pilots.... CPL/MeIR, 250hrs, willing to pay for rating, willing to relocate... etc...

I've tried quite a few of the larger companies as detailed on PPJN (LEA, EBJ, Eurojet... etc) and on this forum but no luck so far with the CV 'cold calling'.

I am starting a FI course but want to do this part-time... with the weather how it is in the UK, I'd like to fly something 'bigger' full-time.

Any info on companies actively recruiting would be appreciated.

Regards,

V-PJ

plinkton
30th Apr 2008, 18:38
...Just wondering if anyone knows any operators currently recruiting low-hours pilots.... CPL/MeIR, 250hrs, willing to pay for rating, willing to relocate... etc...

I've tried quite a few of the larger companies as detailed on PPJN (LEA, EBJ, Eurojet... etc) and on this forum but no luck so far with the CV 'cold calling'.

I am starting a FI course but want to do this part-time... with the weather how it is in the UK, I'd like to fly something 'bigger' full-time.

Any info on companies actively recruiting would be appreciated...

Personally, I wish you luck, no harm in asking, etc. but with over 130 'views' and no replies this is how I think the thread will go:

"Try everyone, regularly." This would be my advice.

"You are a bad person for offering to pay for a type rating, etc., etc."

"Pay US for the type rating" (sent by PM)

One thing that won't do you any harm is to build up a database of the operators who use the type of aircraft you wish to fly. Try G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1).

Google the company to find it's email address, additionally post CV's if you think you need to. If you are emailing your CV as an attachment, ensure it has a document name like 'Joe Blogs CV.doc' rather than 'CV.doc', sounds silly but not everyone does this.

Personally, I would not pay for a type rating but it's your money and can't help thinking you may get a little flak for offering to do this.

Good luck

adverse-bump
30th Apr 2008, 18:53
or search the caa web site for a list of aoc holders.

do the fic, you'll be a better pilot for it!

DONT PAY FOR A TYPE RATING!

cldrvr
30th Apr 2008, 21:50
Cold calling UK charter companies and offering to fly for free or pay for your own type rating will not gain you any friends. All the companies you mentioned have trainers and chief pilots in charge of the recruitment process. None of them are interested in guys/girls like you. Why would they upset the apple cart and get a free loader in the door? Managing a succesfull complement of crew is about cohesion and you don't fit.

sispanys ria
1st May 2008, 05:35
Ok then who is recruiting non type rated pilots ?
It's been 4 months I'm applying, and couldn't get any interview yet and I still get the same answer about type rating.

Fireboy
1st May 2008, 05:41
Don't worry to much, I have been waiting almost a year now. I was offered Ryanair last year but there's no way I'm paying 20k to work for someone.

usedtofly
1st May 2008, 06:50
I have been waiting almost a year now. I was offered Ryanair last year but there's no way I'm paying 20k to work for someoneSo where did that get you? YOU paid for all your training, you still don't have a pilot job, you're NOT building hours or experience.......................

All because you won't pay for an SSTR !

Now then, where did I leave my blinkers?:E

youngskywalker
1st May 2008, 07:50
Where exactly did he say he would fly for free?

portsharbourflyer
1st May 2008, 08:17
Corporate isn't my field so please correct me if I am wrong; however I was fairly certain that in the Corporate sector there are often insurance requirements which will stipulate minimum hours for crews; as a result alot of corporate operaters will require between 700-1000 hours to be able to consider someone for an FO position. So don't be surprised if you are not getting offers with at the moment with only 250 hours. This obvioulsy is not always the case and will vary between companies.

The other thing to consider is in the corporate sector you may only fly around 200-400 hours a year , hence is someone with low hours is employed it will be along time for them to unfreeze the ATPL and also a long time to gain the hours to be eligible for a command.

I know you could aim for some safety pilot work on single crew aircraft with your level of experience which is something you could do along side full time instructing.

ollycopter
3rd May 2008, 12:09
Rubbish, low hours pilots are getting hired by corperate operators all the time.. I was.. And as for paying for your rating, it is pure jealousy that people get pissed at that. I mean, if someone has the money and is willing to use it to follow their dream and work in the sky then more power to them.. Companies are more then happy for people willing to pay to join as it saves costs. It sucks for the people that cant afford to but then thats life.. I know of many racers that self fund their race teams, people that put money into their businesses and people put their own cash into their education all the time.. As long as these lads and ladies with cash pass a selection fair and square then where is the problem?? I paid my rating back over 3 years and no one gave me attitude. So... here it comes... bring on the abuse:E

Flintstone
3rd May 2008, 13:29
Jealousy? Hardly. More like progressing through a career secure in the knowledge that I've done nothing to erode my and my fellow professionals terms and conditions.

Abuse you? Not worth the effort. Internet trolling is so passe.

pilotbear
3rd May 2008, 21:08
you are gettng a bit mellow in your old age Flinty, wheres the fire gone:E

Flintstone
3rd May 2008, 22:33
I know a baited hook when I see one.

Anyway if ollycopter's into being abused he can either go to one of 'those' ladies or use the search function on here. Entering 'fly for free' and 'Flintstone' should do the trick.

pilotbear
4th May 2008, 09:32
So instead of paying my course fees at university I should have gone round all the possible employers till I found someone who would pay for my course and until then sat around moaning that the world owed me a living......there is no difference between type rating and any other professional qualification. If that is what you need to do then get on with it. As for 'not working for Ryanair' that is pretty stupid if you get the opportunity. You get a lot of hours in a short time which when the downturn comes which it will, gives you the edge.
You can always leave after your bond......
I agree that working for nothing is going to get some peoples backs up but c'est la vie. :E There aren't really many places you can do that at anyway. Besides if you were a builder or plumber wanting to work at one of the moaners houses and you offered to do it cheap to get the job how many would be saying 'no I want to pay the going rate to be fair to all your other builder chums':ugh:
;)

Treetopflyer
4th May 2008, 10:55
Well, if you fancy paying for all your training throughout your career, good for you...

However it would be quite silly to buy a type rating right now, at a time when all employers are hurting for pilots... Use the law of the market to your advantage... And remember that flying is just like any other job: you are supposed to make money doing it! :ouch:

V-PJ

Just keep on calling these companies you mentionned, when you don't have many hours, you often get hired because you are at the right place at the right time... So keep on calling and making people know you're out seriously looking for a job (even if it feels like harrassing them sometimes!). I know for a fact that LEA, for instance, recruits F/Os with your kind of experience, and they are growing quite rapidly... So good luck mate, you'll get there... :ok:

pilotbear
4th May 2008, 11:47
I agree with the last paragraph entirely, that is how I got my first jet job. Only stop calling when they tell you to FO. Get the name of the receptionist, assistant etc and try to recognize them on the phone when you speak each time and spend a few minutes chatting with them, make notes on them etc. Then when your name comes up in the office they will say 'oh yes he seems nice' or they might slip your CV to the top of the pile etc.

The first one I don't agree with, if you want to be a doctor you pay a lot of money then you work long hrs for ****e money. If you need to pay for the first one so be it, if you are bonded for a couple of years that is good as it is a couple of years guaranteed work.
I offered to pay for my first type rating to the point where I had the course booked but then the company saw the light of having a bonded person to protect their continuity and investment....
Companies are not gagging for pilots they are gagging for experienced Captains, or people they can fast track to Captain. FO's are only there as a legal requirement otherwise there hostie would sit there between meals:E
Therefore, you have to come across as a potential Captain, a decision maker, a good communicator, a team player.

You have to speculate to accumulate. Yes I have had a hard time, at one point my wife and I had bin liners up at the windows as we could not afford curtains, had only half a kitchen for 5 yrs and I had three jobs while studying. :sad:
It took a few years to get a good job but now I am doing great with T&C exactly as I want it and lots of dosh for six months work a year. ;)
I really have no time for people who tell you not to do things and don't care what they think either:E

Take in all the 'advice' solicited or not and do whatever you think you need to do. You will get what you want....

now where is that stepladder, this three story soapbox is making me dizzy:eek:

NOR116,20
4th May 2008, 14:23
Time Traveller, couldn’t agree more.

I know about a German company having recruited pilots not only with self paid TR but also made students pay for their flight hours during supervision until it was finally decided that they were permanently hired. And guess they had more than enough applicants. This happened already in the 1990s.
Many pilots complain that glorious days in aviation are past. This kind of addiction to become pilot under all means is only one brick (though a big one) in the wall why pilots’ reputation deteriorated over the years.
Human society works like nature in terms of predators and prey. Predators like the well known smart Irish guy might have thought how much easy prey is there amongst students to do everything for their dream and he took the chance. However, it’s not him to blame rather than these willing to become prey.

There is a saying “pilots are the pilot’s worst enemy”.

NOR

Time Traveller, to complete the university analogy:
I agree paying university tuition fees could be likened to paying for the ATPL course. Consequently paying TR could be compared to a graduate paying for the office furnishings to get the job.

Flintstone
4th May 2008, 16:05
You could elect to buy a type rating if you wanted. Then you might have to be prepared to pay for the next one too because you and others like you have sent operators the message that pilots are dumb enough to do so.

"But it gets you ahead". Really? I've never paid for a TR and I'm not doing too badly thanks. In fact had I done so I'd have been about £7,500/$15,000 out of pocket for the first one, £15,000/$30,000 for the second and the same amount for the third. Airfares to and from the States (let's go cheap) £800 a time then hotels, car hire and meals for an average course length of twenty days.............mmmmmm.......add twenty......that makes.........carry the five.......times three....... plus interest at current rates....... over ten years......... £59,540!

Let's call it a round £60,000 because I like round numbers and I was underestimating a bit back there.

So if I'd spent £60,000 on type ratings I could now expect to find myself in the left hand seat of a large cabin bizjet whereas by not buying any type ratings I now find myself in the left hand seat of a large cabin bizjet.

Just explain to me again how buying a type rating is a good thing? :confused:

pilotbear
4th May 2008, 17:45
:(Flinty there is no point whatsoever in saying 'I never paid etc etc" the climate is different than when we started. Yes I was lucky too and didn't have to pay but I was prepared to, the company knew this.
I cannot be bothered with this argument anymore it is just bull**** from start to finish by people who are doing ok.
If you feel you need to pay to get ahead do so. If you get lucky then that is a bonus. Working as an FI is good only if you teach Multi IFR other wise it is a waste of time. ME/IR instructors are like hens teeth at the moment and you can dictate your terms. I could work from dusk to dawn instructing at the moment.
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ughjesus and now i am only allowed 15 icons, more f*****g fascism

Number of icons reduced to 13 by fascist moderator :E

Flintstone
4th May 2008, 18:08
pb, who's arguing? Not me.

I'm not saying 'I'm alright Jack' either. I'm saying there are alternatives to buying a type rating and deepening the rot. If enough people refused to pay this scenario wouldn't arise, companies could type their crews and bond them accordingly (no quibble from me there) and all would be happy apart from the beancounters.

As you say, some of us are past the point where we'll be expected to pay but that doesn't mean we should just leave the next generation to sink.

:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O (15 icons. Your computer must be borked).

V-PJ
6th May 2008, 14:29
Thanks for all of your comments.

I realise that paying for a type rating is often not looked upon particularly well (look in the wannabe forums) but I believe that I have read on this forum whilst doing some research that it is often expected of low-hours pilots (or at least a contribution). However, flying for free would certainly not be an option... I need to pay back the loans somehow!

As for the insurance thing regarding hours, that was something I had not considered... so thanks for the info (PHF). As others have mentioned though, it seems that companies are all quite different in what they want as minimum requirements.

I've just started the FIC at a major GA airfield and so will keep applying to companies while completing this course. The safety pilot thing also looks like a possible option.

Once again, thanks for your replies,

Regards,

V-PJ