PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Australian Airline Pilot?

tail wheel
30th Apr 2008, 07:50
Out of idle curiosity...... How old is Australia's oldest currently operating airline pilot?

The oldest I am aware of is 72 years of age, 32,000 hours and a current Grade 1 Instructor.

Anyone top that?

Also heard of a current Grade 1 Instructor still flying and instructing in his early 80's. (A legend - many will remember him from Newcastle.)

No names please!

Tail Wheel

tail wheel
30th Apr 2008, 08:22
There is no upper age limit on an ATPL in Australia, only current medical.

The USA upper limit was age 60 - think it is now 62 or 63 years of age?

Col Pay (RIP) was older but not a current airline pilot.

I'm curious about the oldest current airline pilot, not names or airlines.

F111
30th Apr 2008, 08:37
What about Jack C, he was the Chief Pilot of the Dc3 Company operating from BK a few years back, I believe he was over 65.

skyways
30th Apr 2008, 08:55
84 when I flew with him last year... :)

Unhinged
30th Apr 2008, 09:14
A very reliable source told me recently (within the last 6 months) that there were two over-70 captains currently flying for Qantas domestic. It was said that their careers had been similar all the way through and neither wanted to be the first to retire.

And I don't know if he's still flying, but KA certainly was still doing ATO duties last time I heard of him. Flew bombers in WW2 I was told.

tail wheel
30th Apr 2008, 10:30
I know of another charter pilot, Grade 1 Instructor and LAME who has 35,000 hours (not including a few "extra" hours he "forgot" to log during his long ag flying career.)

I seem to recall the claimed highest time pilot ever had over 45,000 hours when he retired in the USA.

It would be interesting to know the highest time current pilot in Australia?

Tail Wheel

TwoTango
30th Apr 2008, 10:32
I know of a husband-wife team who I am led to believe are in their 80s. I've been told she's the oldest CFI in the country, and he is a couple of years older than her I think... Couldn't tell you the exact age I'm sorry...

TT

Old Fella
30th Apr 2008, 11:04
I don't think there is anything pathetic about being able to maintain a medical category and the skill to continue to instruct. Respect amos2, respect!!!

Guptar
30th Apr 2008, 13:12
I;m pretty sure the world record for hrs logged is 65,000 done by a guy in the US who flew the same J3 Cub on powerline inspection duties for 55 years continuously. His last flight was 2 days before he suddenly died in his sleep in his mid 80's, about 3 years ago. he was mentioned in an issue of FLYING.

Animalclub
30th Apr 2008, 13:19
Didn't a Qantas pilot successfully sue Qantas about the retiring age? This pilot could only be used on domestic services due to the laws of other countries... so I presume now that there are quite a few over 65... good on 'em.

Nuthinondaclock
30th Apr 2008, 14:29
Tailwheel,

If the Newcastle bloke you refer to is the one I'm thinking of he's an absolute legend. Total gentleman and a brilliant instructor/examiner. Used to wear motorcycle boots. Ex Esso bizjet CP and was the Beech demo pilot for a number of years. A more unassuming and humble man you'll never meet. Glad to hear he's still well. Lived near Lockinvar?

Nuf.

tail wheel
30th Apr 2008, 21:17
That's him. Not sure where he lives in NSW, haven't spoken to him for around a decade.

cjam
30th Apr 2008, 22:37
Am I right in thinking that the old Ag pilots generally have the most hours? More than the old airline pilots?
How many hours do the posters on this thread have? I'd guess I've got about a fifth as much as old fella.....just cause of his handle. 4400 total.

tail wheel
30th Apr 2008, 22:46
cjam. It is probably fair to assume many ag pilots that started their career in the 1950s or 1960s may have flown far more hours than their log books records. :E

The years of the super phosphate bounties were boom years for the agricultural aviation industry.

I know of ag pilots who completed a full "season" in the eastern states, then move to the west for another full "season" - all in the same flying year!

bushy
1st May 2008, 00:20
I know a of a flying instructor who has been 80 for the last two or three years.

Jabawocky
1st May 2008, 00:20
Does that include those who have stopped line flying and are instructing in the sim?

I know a very senior QF 744 guy who is well over 65......larger than Life and goodnes knows why he let them talk him into staying......its not like he needs the $$. Top bloke though!:ok:

J:ok:

Capt Wally
1st May 2008, 00:58
.......the oldest Australian Airline Pilot?.....well some mornings feels like ME:E My wallet is not as fat but am still a pilot !:ok:

I think the older ones are staying there 'cause of posts in that other thread, ..........."any jobs in the Pacific for a low time pilot":bored: That's a crack up!
Just as a side note to this anybody know of the oldest pilot in OZ still flying full stop?

CW

tail wheel
1st May 2008, 07:02
The pilot and ATO Nuthinondaclock is referring to, R E is in his mid 80s, still current.

I heard that an instructor who used to be on the Gold Coast some years ago, F K, is still flying and must around be the same age?

Stationair8
1st May 2008, 07:44
Most ag pilots from the 1970's had two logbooks one for DCA/CASA and one for themselves. Back in the good old days a good pilot and a beaver could spread a fair bit of superphosate.

Chadzat
1st May 2008, 09:27
All very interesting posts! I can't fathom flying that many hours- 65,000!! That would be a fewyears continuously in the cockpit from rough mental arithmatic!

Just to confuse the thread even further- how about the other end of the scale? Over the years what has been the youngest age to a command of an airliner? Ie Domestic or International, Jet or old big piston propliners?

Stationair8
1st May 2008, 09:32
Billy Vincent had 20,000 hours in his logbook, 18,000 in GA aircraft and 2,000 in ultralights. Not bad for a PPL pilot, all of that in single engine aircraft and most of that over Bass Strait.

Keg
1st May 2008, 16:31
Oldest QF 744 captain i can find is 64. He's good for world airspace until he's 65 when I think the US may ban him again....and that means the Indons do also. Not 100% sure on that now whether the 65 extension is just for US pilots or whether it applies to everyone. I don't think he'll be able to 'bid back' to the 767 again as he's already done that once before when he turned 60- before they changed the rules and those aged greater than 60 could fly o/s.

I know there is a 744 F/O who is 66. My records show about 70 QF drivers over the age of 60. Some of them are skippers, some of them are F/Os, one of them is a S/O! :eek: (He's an ex Flight Engineer). :ok:

I did hear of a 67 year old 737 driver a few years back. I can't see their details to be sure how old the oldest one is now.

mustafagander
1st May 2008, 21:46
Keg, do your homework son. There are 2 S/Os over 60 - GS & NM. They were both on a LAX trip last month together.
I am reliably informed that the 66 year old F/O is on LSL and won't fly again.
Watch out for the sim instructors over 60 listed as Capt with seniority over 2000.

AQIS Boigu
1st May 2008, 22:15
there is a D8 captain in PNG who is 69 with 30000+ hrs and still going strong....

Jabawocky
1st May 2008, 22:16
Keg

With all due respect....is WT over 60ish? Nice chap too!

J

tail wheel
1st May 2008, 23:15
AQIS Boigu. Is GF (ex SQ) still with APNG? I would have thought he was well over 70?

Keg
1st May 2008, 23:35
mustafa, thanks for that....probably should have said "...at least one is a S/O". I was aware of GS- was in the same class as his daughter in primary school :eek: - but wasn't aware of the other. I should have been given his history with the cadets in ADL all those years ago!

Jaba, if it's the WT that's into regulatory stuff then 61. :ok:

Niles Crane
2nd May 2008, 03:12
IBJ, 71 years young F/O just retired. Something like 30 years with the same company!

bushy
2nd May 2008, 04:28
So it appears we have quite a few long term f/o's.
We better tell the flying schools about that.

crocodile redundee
2nd May 2008, 05:31
None of you are even close , up till a few years ago there was a FLYING TIGER Flight Engineer on their 747 Classic Freighters who was , wait for it , 83 years old!!!!!!!!! Iknow you wanted Australian crew but this takes the cake!!!!!!!:cool:

MUNT
2nd May 2008, 07:24
bushy - some of the older chaps like IBJ are/were only FOs because of the ATPL req (not having done the subjects). They logged many hours in command prior.

2diamond
2nd May 2008, 09:22
It's amazing how many replies there are here and yet none answer the question put up by "Tailwheel"

I have been checking with interest (as have others) but to date no answer. I read that the question is related to currently operating i.e. with current medical, current simulator, line checks etc;

Perhaps somebody may know of such a person or even the one mentioned by tailwheel.

I have become aware of one with a Regional Airline in an Eastern state who still moves around like a 45 year old and other crews (both tech and cabin) are quite pleased to have him around when the outside turns nasty etc: Hopefully, some may guess to whom my reference refers.

Anyhow, good on him (and any others) for staying around and passing on many beneficial points.

:D:ok:

AQIS Boigu
2nd May 2008, 21:48
Tail Wheel,

GF "was left" when the B1900s were returned - I wasnt working at MBA/APNG at that time but I heard that he was keen to go onto the D8. The company suggested though that it was time for his retirement.

AB

tail wheel
2nd May 2008, 22:12
AQIS, thanks for that - I guess he's retired at last? He must be 80-ish by now.

Tail Wheel

Heavy Cargo
3rd May 2008, 01:17
Capt Charles Wytcherley 73 HeavyLift B727 skipper going strong.

Heavy Cargo
3rd May 2008, 04:34
DEREK,

Is that because you are 98 and bed ridden ?:{

Stationair8
3rd May 2008, 05:06
Rather be out flying any day, than stuck in the old peoples home crapping me dacks.

If you can pass the medicals keep on flying!!!

TLAW
5th May 2008, 07:00
All the more reason to look after your health, so you can get there, too.

Airmike767
19th Jun 2008, 07:36
Nice Post! The USA has quite a few corporate types who were able to hang on! I got a tailwheel checkout in 1976 from Edna Gardner White who was 80 at the time. She must of had 40,000 hours!

More than 21,000 hours later, I still remember the checkout and how much of a professional she was...........original 99er. Sorry, off the original question........age 60 and still going!

Airmike767

tail wheel
19th Jun 2008, 08:19
86 years old - amazing! Born the year after Q.A.N.T.A.S!

Maggott17
19th Jun 2008, 10:29
Airline Pilot. Now there is an OXYMORON in todays modern jetliner with more computers than human brains on the flightdeck.

Taildragger67
19th Jun 2008, 15:35
Keg,

Am I right in thinking that the former Flt Cdr of a now-defunct AirTC flight based not far from 16R, was on 744s but then went back to 737s near 60? Did he then go back to Jumbos when the age bar was raised?

Second, I don't doubt your records but wouldn't a 66-y-o F/O go against the ICAO bar?

Animalclub,

John Christie won in the Federal Court but Qantas appealed to the High Court and the appeal was allowed. The judgment is here (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/high_ct/1998/18.html).

tio540
20th Jun 2008, 23:08
I don't know about now, but I will be the oldest pilot in a few years. Take that long to pay off the mortgage.:)

Fantome
25th Aug 2008, 20:24
Piece in latest Flightpath, Vol 20 No 1 -

TED FLIES TO FIGHT ANOTHER BATTLE

After stepping out of the Spitfire in 1945, F/L Ted Sly gave up any notion of continuing to fly and returned to the land. However, Ted has always maintained an interest and desire to return to the skies once more. Some 67 years after his first solo in Rhodesia during the Second World War and just prior to his 90th birthday, the amazing Ted has soloed again.

Ted took up flying again to draw attention to the plight of locals to save the Heritage Listed Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome on the north coast of NSW from "inappropriate development by local council". Ted contacted John Gardon, CFI and owner of Flight North to get his flying up to date in the Foxbat.

Ted's family are about to buy him "a little Italian job - a real sleek machine," Ted quipped. "But it won't be no Spit." On the fight to save Evans Head, Ted says: "I decided, rather than relying on other people's reports, I'd better obtain a flying licence to keep an eye on what's happening there. This Second World War aerodrome is a living memorial to those who gave their lives defending freedom in Australia. The Federal Government needs to step in and resume this aerodrome from the council".

(If you have a thing about the DH88 Comet, look out for this issue of Flightpath. Cover picture and some other brilliant air-to-airs of a replica of Grosvenor House flying today in California.)

Got the horn
25th Aug 2008, 21:41
There's a 77 years old chap still in command in NZ flying F27's, B732, B733 and doing ATPL flight tests. NZ's oldest teenager.

185skywagon
26th Aug 2008, 00:22
Owen,
That wasn't WH at RQAC, by any chance?

tinpis
26th Aug 2008, 01:04
The usual reason is mum cant stand having the poor old bugger around the house, and constantly threatens to sell up and move closer to her family/dope addled kids when he retires.:(

Jabawocky
26th Aug 2008, 02:01
Speak from experience hey Tin?

Wilcome
26th Aug 2008, 02:29
What about the youngest Australian airline pilot?

tinpis
26th Aug 2008, 03:27
What about the ugliest? :hmm:

Zed-Air
21st Nov 2013, 03:05
.... Airline "Pilot:" Now there is an OXYMORON in today's modern aeroplane, with more computers than human brains in the cockpit ....

Here to assert that all that's changed during my 50+ years in the game is that there are more computers. Reckon 85% of those wearing the pilots' costumes -- and sitting in their seats -- have always been better costumed, than they've been intelligent. Or able.

Capt Fathom
21st Nov 2013, 03:37
You must have been bored to find that thread..... from 2008. :uhoh:

akiriczenko
22nd Nov 2013, 22:55
I am aware of one of the youngest captains. Captain Kent Honour recently gained his command on DHC 8-300 flying for Qlink based out of Cairns. He is only 24 years old. Previously a very experienced flight instructor and also FO on the Twin-Otter flying in the highlands of PNG.
Is anyone aware of a younger airline pilot to gain a command position at such a young age?

Going Nowhere
23rd Nov 2013, 01:22
Not sure of the youngest but QLink have quite a few Captains who received their commands in their early to mid 20's.

tail wheel
23rd Nov 2013, 05:49
Captain Kent Honour

Gary's son?

akiriczenko
23rd Nov 2013, 09:23
Yes Tailwheel. It is Garrys son.

B772
23rd Nov 2013, 09:31
Akiriczenko.

Alan (Dusty) Lane gained his DC3 command at Ansett many many years ago aged 21 years.

coco-nuts
24th Nov 2013, 14:51
Flew in Incredible India, 2005, observation flight behind a 21 year old Captain and 24 year old FO. 737-400Efis. Both had never seen a razor!

ga_trojan
24th Nov 2013, 23:55
Youngest captain competitions are just some guy who has really good family connections, Dad owned an aeroplane or had a lot of family money who happened to be at the right place at the right time.

cessna170
3rd Feb 2016, 01:36
On Caboolture Airfield we have a practicing private pilot who will be 86 in July 2016!! He has logged 19,502 and half as many again mostlikely!!! He flew his Bristol Fighter 2 just before Christmas!!!

angry ant
3rd Feb 2016, 02:31
That would be Jack M

A A

Weheka
5th Feb 2016, 07:47
I know this about oldest Aussie pilot but thought this is worth a mention.
Evelyn Bryan Johnson who turned 100 in 2009, nicknamed "Mama Bird", had logged at that time 57,635.4 flight hours (equivalent to 6½ years in the air). Did something like 9000 flight tests!

Zed-Air
14th Jan 2018, 11:43
cjam. It is probably fair to assume many ag pilots that started their career in the 1950s or 1960s may have flown far more hours than their log books records. :E

The years of the super phosphate bounties were boom years for the agricultural aviation industry.

I know of ag pilots who completed a full "season" in the eastern states, then move to the west for another full "season" - all in the same flying year!

Did that several years running back then. Most productive year flew more than 2000 revenue hours, more ferrying. Them was the good old days. Worked a while with one gentleman Aviator (Fleet Owner/Chief Pilot) who was chased for ages for his log book before eventually presenting one whose every page - one-page-one-entry - read "1955 - More than 500 hours;" 1956 - More than 500 hours; .... 1964 - More than 500 hours; 1965 - More than 500 hours; "1966 - More than 500 hours" -- and so on.

The (then) 'DCA' wallahs grinned -- and gave up on him.

VERY safe bet Agricultural/Bush Pilots - particularly those who chased the seasons in Australasia and around the world, some of us still at it, have the highest hours. High 30-thousands - even 40+K.

Sighhhhhh ... :cool:

Zed-Air
12th Jul 2018, 11:54
.... I seem to recall the claimed highest time pilot ever had over 45,000 hours when he retired in the USA .... Tail Wheel[/QUOTE]

Believe long-time Piper ferry pilot Max Conrad, holder of many long-distance records, logged around 60,000 hours.

flywatcher
12th Jul 2018, 21:14
Fish spotting pilots and ag pilots managed to fly under the radar for many years as far as logbooks are concerned and most probably have more than double what is recorded and there are some fairly prodigious totals.

megan
13th Jul 2018, 04:35
The Guinness Book of Records has Max Conrad being the highest time pilot in 1974 with 52,929 That was broken in 1989 by Ed Long with 53,290 who went on to amass some 65,000 and is still recognised as the highest ever. Ed accrued his time in a Cub doing power line inspections.

ShotOne
28th Aug 2018, 16:49
Interesting thread but most answers not related to airline flying. Any idea of the oldest current airline pilot?

geeup
28th Aug 2018, 20:56
John Reagan (Australian) was a Dash8 Captan at the Airline PNG (now trading as PNGAir) til the age of 78 upon retirement by his choice.

LeadSled
29th Aug 2018, 02:03
John Reagan (Australian) was a Dash8 Captan at the Airline PNG (now trading as PNGAir) til the age of 78 upon retirement by his choice.

Folks,
I remember him well, obviously the odd cold greenie or brownie on a warm day did him no long term harm. Maybe they preserved him??
What a character.
Tootle pip!!

Des Dimona
29th Aug 2018, 09:25
Pretty sure John gave up the amber fluid many years ago. Great innings all the same.:ok: