PDA

View Full Version : The Etihad Package...

Pages : [1] 2

yellowsub
30th Apr 2008, 07:12
I have just been informed by the Wifee that the fees for my 5 year old at the British school this coming year will be 45,000dhs.

Checking my schooling allowance I see I am entitled to 25,000dhs per year. So I am short more or less 3,000 pounds!

Regarding the accommodation allowance, what can you get now for 115-120,00dhs? Dip all. Definitely no little villa or nice town house, two beds in a tower block & you'll be lucky to get parking. The available housing in Abu Dhabi is very low.

Coupled with the 30% increase in food prices last year, the perennial 5-10% rental increases and of course the US dollar things are grim.

Is it just me? It seems every time I turn around something or other has gone up 25%

I really hope the salary/package starts playing catch up soon. The way I see it the numbers are not adding up too good at the moment.

alghazal
30th Apr 2008, 09:44
It won't my friend, it never did in the past.....

No need as their roadshows had so many attendants.

In the meantime A330 and A320 pilots fly like carzy...

So much as we are supposed to be fat on crews....

Nobody is leaving and people are still coming, why should they bother ???

Except that standards are running low, and incidents are more and more common.......

Etihadghostrider
30th Apr 2008, 12:01
The housing situation is a complete disaster and exemplifies the greed and lack of care of EY's crews and employees exhibited by their incompetant management.

Right now there is not enough housing for crew and pilot's. The company is in the process of renting apartment buildings in Musafah. Look it up on google earth. Musafah is the slum the city built to house all the low income workers just off the island. There is nothing there but metalworks and garages. This would not even be akin to living in Sharjah if you where an EK pilot.

After nearly 5 years in operation they still don't know what to do about housing. The main problem is no one is spending the money to solve the problem. 4 years ago when they ordered 50 aircraft they needed to start building accom for 5000 employees. What have they done, nothing. What are they planning...nothing. This summer we can expect another huge aircraft order plus the additional 20 A320. They need accom for 17000 people by 2012 and they cant even cope with the current 7000 staff.

The latest big developement... all the pilots who just moved into Raha gardens and were told the company have signed three year leases where lied to (again). The company will not renew the AED240 000 leases on these flats and they will have to move again in 10 months. No one in housing or HR warned them it was only a one year temporary fix so all the money they spent on moving,landscaping buying curtains etc. is lost. At best ,in one more year with another 450 pilot's coming this year, these pilot's can hope for is to be offered a flat in the Musafah area. No park's, no shops, thousands of workers... the families will love it.

This is ETD management in normal mode, this is what you can expect from them, lies and dissemination, no forward planning just the all consuming desire to make as much money as they can during there limited tenure and screw those of us who where trying to make a career here.

If only the Sheicks would wake up and see what a legacy these people that they have hired will leave their National Airline in.

"Abandon all hope all ye who enter here"

Firbolgs
30th Apr 2008, 15:22
Let this be a warning to all prospective EY joiners!

Flying for this lot will cost you money, if you have a half decent job at home stick with it!.
Even paying tax in Europe I would be better off at home...just updated the CV so I am trying to find something back in Europe.

This place has great potential but under the current leadership the conditions and morale are very poor...and there is no sign of things improving.
There are some great people in EY its a shame we have pr##ks in charge :rolleyes:

Insh Allah
30th Apr 2008, 20:02
EY will just have to wake up.. EK are gonna pay out a MASSIVE bonus.. my mates getting around 120,000 yes ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY THOUSAND...

At least fix the package a weeee bit..

sec 3
1st May 2008, 13:06
Easy to describe. I can even do it in one word :

triple click
1st May 2008, 18:30
if you want housing update; have you seen that big new ugly building in mussafa? this is where they plan to put pilots with their family.. :bored: welcome to the national crap of abu dhabi... this is the best they can do for us otherwise they might not get their bonus!!! :D

Scooter Rassmussin
2nd May 2008, 05:08
What about bases.........

galactica
2nd May 2008, 09:32
There is an on-going deal between owners of appartments in the green lake towers ( opposite dubai marina) and emirates holidays is renting it to at least 100 pilots in the waiting of finding them a place to live.
These are beautifull appartments that Ek is probably paying peanuts for but... this is a construction camp.

I own one of these appartment like many other ek pilots. Incoms will be **** thrust me:yuk:

funky monkey
2nd May 2008, 09:41
all very well and good but what does this have to do with EY pilots????:D

cantilever
2nd May 2008, 13:47
Scooter....bases will never happen!

If it ever did you would be killed in the rush!:}....

BCF Breath
3rd May 2008, 19:36
This will be your new home. Not built yet on this map...

But around here...

24°22'12.21"N
54°32'27.10"E

Jetjock330
3rd May 2008, 20:12
REFUSE this at all costs!

Some other news, in the press today!

Rent climbed 17% in Abu Dhabi (http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Real_Estate_Property/10210566.html)

A320PLT
4th May 2008, 05:09
I looked but I saw nothing but dirt!! It did look as if there was "some" construction going on.

Jetjock330
4th May 2008, 05:43
Google Earth is outdated. There is a huge shopping complex with apartments on top, something like Gotham City in Batman (goes with a Black A320 Batmobile that even a parking lazer can't detect). The pits!

Far from nowhere and ontop of the industrial side of the city. A last resort.

A tent in the desert would be more interesting, exciting, cleaner and have more character!

EY346Driver
4th May 2008, 11:09
If EY want to achieve long term expansion plans and become a global airline like EK they have to solve serious problems like housing. The simple truth is that if crews or their families are not happy they will leave.

If they invest in the construction of a large Etihad compound with 500-700 villas it will in the longrun prove to be cost effective, keep families happy, avoid local landlords blackmailing the airline and become a huge asset for the company.

All that is required is some vision and forward planning.

alghazal
4th May 2008, 11:29
Forwhat planwhat ?????????

BITE System
4th May 2008, 15:07
I recently went onto Air-Arabia web site to see what there were offering and the accommodation allowance is AED12000/- per month, a LOW cost airline. What does EY pay per month?

randorijuwaza
6th May 2008, 00:09
seems like i'd made a right decision not to leave my country for EY not so long ago, after a deep thought of the pros n cons, rain n shines still best in my beloved country, even though i'm being paid peanuts in term of the current aviation standard, the utmost importance of all, i'm happy with my family....:)

SandDragon
6th May 2008, 01:16
Congrats , Mate .

BE Happy and you can spread the word it aint the place to come with this COMIC Management we have .

The Working environment ,I mean Flt deck is Great . bUT TOP SENIOR HOGANS HEROES COMEDIANS just S U C K :=.

Tell every one not everything that shines is promising !!!!!

brassplate
7th May 2008, 00:08
hear ye, hear ye, hear ye.....
ey is terrible. ts and cs are terrible. crews overworked and lied to. f/as are abused. housing may as well be in tents in the deserts. promises are broken. run by showboating jhogans thieves. f/os are lowest paid in the region. captains not far behind. office staff hate flight crews. annus horriblus last year and will continue this year. bonuses for sports sponsorships only not crew. evacuate evacuate evacuate.

Axum
11th May 2008, 12:43
If the situation is so bad, why I can't see thread about etihad exodus?

How long would they bond me as A-330/340 F/o?
Do they fly 330/340 with two pilots or three?
Can I expect company ticket to EU?

allaru
12th May 2008, 03:10
"Do they fly 330/340 with two pilots or three?"

Actually its 6:

Captain:
He's in charge

First Officer:
He's next in charge

Second Officer:
The Captains sexual adviser, if I want his #%cking opinion I'll ask for it

Flight Engineer:
Useful for manipulating those big bakalite knobs on the 330/340, doing the walk around, syncing the fans, and finding cheap bars and knock shops

Navigator:
Helps navigating to the above venues, and does sailings, plotting, and other navigator stuff on big charts.

Radio Operator:
Warms the valves before the rest of the crew arrive, Talks to Bombay on HF, and operates the directional antenna during NDB approaches.

This is standard for all 330/340 flights up to 8 hours, of course we get an extra pilot for flights above 8, as well as a bunk, and an F or J class seat.

camelbreath
12th May 2008, 06:25
You get a bunk and a F/J seat on a 330....Hmmmm:=

Not in EY!

brassplate
15th May 2008, 16:46
topic speaks for itself. and the moderator keeps removing it. mr moderator, please pm me for the reasons as to why you keep doing this. on the take are you?
before any pilot moves there, they need to make an informed decision before taking the plunge. if you are against this, then i accuse you of being anti-pilot.

Sal-e
15th May 2008, 17:05
Ouch brassy. Some accusation. I can't imagine that ever taking place (corporate interest in our infallible moderators).
I don't think I have any friends who have enjoyed the move from GF to EY, but they are not willing to openly admit it since I tried to talk them out of it. Not to say some are not enjoying it there. I know a lot of the cabin crew are.

alghazal
15th May 2008, 17:15
Who could ?

People stay 4 months in an hotel then are moved to a villa and then told it will cost them 90000 AED per year to keep the so called company provided accomodation.

Inflation is skyrocketting, medical is useless, no pension, and HR treat you like a dog.

Welcome to Etihad

brassplate
15th May 2008, 17:46
there was an exodus of gf drivers not long ago. one of the main reasons for their departure was better prospects for upgrade for the f/os and better machines and destinations for the captains. are they getting what they want?

brassplate
15th May 2008, 17:58
in addition to this obviously important thread, i'm working on a conspiracy theory.
if you notice all the important threads regarding employment ts and cs in this forum, they are usually followed by several petty threads made by irregular posters ie guys with 10 or so posts.
obviously management types read pprune. i wonder if they purposefully raise new threads in order to push the ones important to us down the list and hopefully to page 2.
maybe i'm paranoid, but look at the topics posted yourself. there is usually one with a lot of responses (ie important issues) followed by three or four topics with very little response.

back to topic, how many here are happy with their terms and conditions and promises at ey?

brassplate
15th May 2008, 20:21
another tactic these 'single posters' incessantly use is to make a petty comment in popular threads to push 'hot issues' further down the list.

ironbutt57
16th May 2008, 05:02
Brassy...don't think you will ever get a straight answer on that one...the fellows who left for EK have spoken openly about the pro's and con's regarding their move there, and seem for the most part content with their choice..whatever "turns your clock" I suppose applies in all cases:ok:

vector3
16th May 2008, 11:12
Im invited for screening as a fo on 773 in July,but after reading all this i'll think i'm gonna stick to my job here in europe...

alghazal
16th May 2008, 17:03
Who cares how many aircrafts they order, how muck bribe money they make in the back of the locals.....

What does it change to your day to day life ....??

Well, nothing, this management remains as it is, useless, indian lowcost alike, no offense taken, our indian fellow colleagues, and hopeless.

EY is S:mad:t and will remain as such.

Join here and your life and family will be jeopardized every 6 months r so by our puppet management and on purpose.
They all come together everyweek to lagh at us on how much they screwed our lives....

PAYBACK TIME

Axum
16th May 2008, 20:46
"Think twice, they are few others company around that would give you a better consideration."

Tell me one, pls.

Togalk
17th May 2008, 07:21
"Think twice, they are few others company around that would give you a better consideration."

I think he meant to say "There are A few.........

Emirates,
Singapore,
Korean,
Jet,
Kingfisher...............

alghazal
17th May 2008, 09:06
Even low cost carriers treat you better

Air Arabia
EZY
Tiger
Air Asia
Vueling
WizzAIr
RyanAir

or flag carriers , whereas EY is supposed to be one, at the end this is another **** carrier for its employees.

Air China
China Airlines
Korean Air
Air France is hiring on A320
Lufthansa
Singapore Airlines
Air Mauritius

or other succesfull airlines

Virgin
Strategic in Australia
Air Asia X
China Southern
Hainan on A320
Deer Air on A320
Kingfisher
Jet
Sri Lankan
Virgin Nigeria
Atlas Blue

Before coming to Non stop lying Award winning Airline ETIHAD, reconsider and read all these threads about how bad it is for you and your family.

Axum
17th May 2008, 12:06
Let's see :

Emirates - not easy to join, require min. 4000 hours for F/O
Singapore - don't hire F/O
Korean - too far from Europe, I mean not just km
Jet, Kingfisher - would you take your family to India?
LCC's - no money paid
Air China, China Airlines, China Southern, Hainan - liars
Air France, Lufthansa - need JAA licence, upgrade in 10 years
Air Mauritius, Sri Lankan - pilots exodus

So it is not easy to choose.

Axum
17th May 2008, 12:13
Additional info about China :
Once you step foot in a Chinese airline you will find it VERY difficult to leave. Going to another Chinese airline is near impossible. There is a HUGE penalty if one hops from one Chinese airline to another within China - more than a million rmb. And if you want to leave China for another foreign airline you will face extreme difficulties. So be forewarned ...

Axum
17th May 2008, 13:08
Furthermore :

Air Arabia - need only type rated pilots
Tiger - self-sponsored
EZY, Wizz - don't hire in 2008
Vueling - need JAA + self-sponsored

Easy Ryder
17th May 2008, 14:03
Axum,

Id take my family to India. On the money you'd live like a king and will be able to provide them with the best.

Sorry but I hate prejudice statements that harpoon an entire nation.

Axum
17th May 2008, 14:20
No prejudice it is experience.
I have been there and I found serious health risks.

CanadaRocks
17th May 2008, 16:06
AL,

SriLankan Airlines...Time for you to meet Dr. S.:ok:

alghazal
17th May 2008, 18:35
He AXUM? If nothing suits you on any continent, and your only option is EY, well too bad, go for it and don't come back here complaining.

Yo have been warned.

For the JAA licence, be aware that converting any ICAO licence to JAA through Ireland or Luxembourg is pretty easy.

Korean do hire based anywhere where KAL operate 3 times a week, gives you much choice.

Chinese carriers base in Europe and hire F/O's.

And what about Cathay ?? Strong reputation, know how to deal with expats, and correct seniority and unions.

EK is desperate, so it shouldn't be that hard to succeed the interview. Get the correct books and try hard enough, instead of whining.

The major problem with EY is that they lie all the time and they jeopardize your life.

By the way, Air Mauritius, not anymore the exodus, as they are paid in EUR......Many ex MK consider coming back there coz EY sucks so much.

For Sri Lankan, oups.... that was a mistake

Yani Yani
17th May 2008, 18:39
So with an annual inflation running at 10-15 % yearly, let's say at least 30 % in total looking back across the last 3 years, what has been our salary increase over the same period ? We just got 4 %, I know. What we get earlier ? I recon that I've at least lost 20 % of my bying power here in the UAE over that period...and it will get lots worse....and then we have VAT coming next year.....fantastic....

Axum
17th May 2008, 20:24
I do believe you, EY is not the perfect airlines, but I also think that it couldn't be so bad. Tell me why the pilots don't move to EK? Just 120 km away!

go for it and don't come back here complaining.

Maybe I go for it and come back complain...

For the JAA licence, be aware that converting any ICAO licence to JAA through Ireland or Luxembourg is pretty easy.

Could you tell me more about it?

cantilever
17th May 2008, 21:50
Im not sure converting any ICAO licence to JAA is that easy, certainly not through Ireland....its got a lot tougher than it used to be.

Metro man
18th May 2008, 01:37
Tell me why the pilots don't move to EK? Just 120 km away!

I was told of a no poaching agreement between EK and EY, can anyone confirm this ?

camelbreath
18th May 2008, 05:52
Within the past few months pilots have gone from EY to EK.

Togalk
18th May 2008, 10:50
yes, but no one has ever gone from EK to EY. Except maybe one who promptly quit.

alghazal
18th May 2008, 15:21
Road show announcement housing allowance 170000

Now HR email 20 % increase which is to 20% of 120000 AED equal 24000 on top of the 120000 giving us 144000 AED which gives you access on the market to a small 2 bedrooms flat in the darkest suburb of AUH.

First, HR, please go back to 1st grade math

Second, for the others, stop lying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up to 10 ID50's per year, but you can't use them coz the clever HR online system prevent you from making any booking up to Dec 2008, then 2009 is not open to anything.

Clever again..............

Schooling, well thank you but still below average schooling fees, and still as from 4 years.

Now you ask why it's anything but EY...

Jetjock330
18th May 2008, 15:40
Togalk,

Yes, there is a B777 driver, EK to EY and I also seem to remember the Chief Pilot from EK, and now a few others on DEC A340 Airbus fleet have arrived on line.

Not sure the reasons, although they must be very good unto themselves, but yes, some have crossed westwards along the coast.

Valdemort
18th May 2008, 16:24
Guys
Why don't you consider Qatar Airways ... I'm sure you'll be happy :E
:D

alghazal
18th May 2008, 17:16
Sure !!

EY is no better than QR, maybe worse these days

SandDragon
18th May 2008, 19:35
WILL this comfort the economic CRISIS IN UAE

For eligible staff, housing allowances will rise by 20 per cent with effect from July 1.

Education allowances (to meet child schooling costs) will rise also by 20 per cent from September 1 for eligible staff.

All staff will be able to purchase ID50 tickets in all cabins for themselves and immediate family (spouse, children and parents) from today (May 18). Please note that children under 12 years are not entitled to first class.

Also from today, the number of tickets for family and friends will increase from four to 10 per year and can be purchased in any combination of ID90 and ID50 tickets.

CAN we AFFORD them (10) ,WE could if they did not charge the TAX like they do in other Major Airlines .

They just do not know how to Squeeze your TAX FREE Salary

And if you are extra nice we can include you in a draw for Bonjovi tickets:= There should have been a special discount price for all CREW .

Are we not the National Airline OF U.A.E.
Sure does not Feel Lke IT :*
I have 4 pairs of complimentary tickets available for the Bon Jovi concert at Emirates Palace on Tuesday 20th May. There are 2 pairs for the ‘Platinum Pit’ (doesn’t sound very comfortable but the tickets have a face value of AED 890 each) and 2 pairs of seated tickets (face value AED 590).

Yani Yani
18th May 2008, 19:57
So inflation in UAE has risen by 10-15 % yearly over the last few years which combines to at least 30 % over the last 3 years..how high has our payrise been during those 3 years ? We easily have taken a 20 % loss in purchase power over those 3 years...Ok, I am not saying that EY has any obligation to compensate us for the inflation but I am telling prospective pilots thinking of joining EY to think twice. Here you will not save any money.

fractional
18th May 2008, 19:58
And there is this to come and a worderful statement from Dubai Customs
Dubai Customs said on Saturday the introduction of a value added tax (VAT) system in the UAE and wider GCC would strengthen the economy and raise standards of living across the regionhttp://www.arabianbusiness.com/519513-vat-to-raise-standards-of-living

Men on pause
19th May 2008, 06:16
I can think of 4 on the B777 alone who have moved from EK to EY.

I can think of 1 again on B777 who has moved from EY to EK.

This thread sure is intimidating for anyone wanting to say anything good about EY. Its so easy to resign yourself to leave such threads to the same few who continually trash the Airline. So much vitriol and sadly nothing much constructive.

Its not perfect at EY but I and my family are happy and live within our means, which is still possible but becoming more difficult. I try not to think about those in the office and are far less stressed because of it, but I do sometimes succumb. I make the most of what is given, enjoy work, Abu Dhabi, and life as a whole and could not ask for more. Its not because I am not greedy maybe just easier to please.

I'm sure I will come under fire soon but for those very unhappy at EY please realise that doesn't mean we all are.

Good luck to all those thinking of leaving I really do hope you find what you are looking for.

alghazal
19th May 2008, 09:22
He Men on pause, go back to your management or recruitment seat and give us a break.

This is for real people living real lives, trying to survive, working their a:mad:s off for so little reward and so much pain, while others fly their offices coz they are :

A. unable to fly an airplane properly
B. too busy licking a:mad:es
C. both of the above

People left EK for better life, on vain promises, one of them already left back to Europe, coz they realize that EY keeps on lying all the time, and fails to be consistent on any aspect.

noflare
19th May 2008, 12:17
I think you need to clarify the EK to EY movers....tell us why they moved!
The majority (except 1!) were AUH based Emiraties!....:}

Sir Osis of the river
19th May 2008, 15:06
And besides all the above....

I didn't win the Bon Jovi Tickets:ouch

Cest La Vie,

Maybe I'll get the next one. (Probably be Englebert Humperdink!)

Axum
19th May 2008, 17:32
The UAE could face a mass exodus of expatriates if the government follows up the introduction of value added tax (VAT) next year with further taxes on the population.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/519060-majority-insight-value-added-tax-to-be-introduced

EY346Driver
19th May 2008, 21:55
The truth of the matter is that inflation is a real issue as are rental rates in the UAE. The Airline has to step up to reality in order to accomplish it's expansion plans.

It is a simple formula, keep your people relatively happy in order to get your buisness plans on track. If not the market will bite you in the back side. Today it's a bullish market and guys can find jobs, keep us happy otherwise we will vote with our feet.

TRIA320
6th Jun 2008, 07:46
Planning on moving to Etihad with the fam and also Intl School... Please contact me on [email protected] (dUTCH/English) Thank you.

alghazal
6th Jun 2008, 10:19
The only thing I can think of is :

GOOD LUCK to your and your family

Wango Z Tango
6th Jun 2008, 14:55
all I can say is wow..
I have been working for a Gulf Airline since 2002.. ( north of AUH and south of BAH) and I hear and see alot of crap.. but one thing is for sure.. EY is sounding much, much worse than this mob ( North of AUH and south of BAH ).. although some major problems here as well.. but after reading this thread it does not sound half as bad as EY.. might be wrong but i think i'll give EY a pass as the interview is done and the no poaching thing seems to be on the back burner.. they are happy to take from anywhere it seems and i guess thats as good as a canary in a coal mine.

Good Luck.

Firbolgs
6th Jun 2008, 15:42
EY does has major problems that are not addressed by our current management, they have thrown a little corn out recently to try and keep the crews quiet but when you look closely the only issues that have been addressed are those which also affect them (ie Schooling/housing!).

They are quite happy with their own inflated salary so they looked upon a crew salary increase as a low priority...all this BS that was spouted by the finance guy at the roadshow is utter crap.
Give the crews an increment that keeps up with inflation instead of the rubbish you came up with...stop treating us like idiots.:mad:

airbussmooth
7th Jun 2008, 01:13
:ugh::ugh:

Been looking for the latest info on etihad and the thread about what to

expect in etihad as well as the whole hiring process can't be found!!

Any ideas where to find it, i looked thru all the differen pages :ugh::{

Saltaire
7th Jun 2008, 03:28
I think the only ones who moved from EK to EY were those that failed their upgrade. I remember many that didn't make it through the EK interview went up to EY for the job. Worked out well for a quick upgrade...:D

Accomodation is a real problem in the entire region and airlines need to make it priority one. Those coming over should be very specific about what is offered...

Driver of Buses
7th Jun 2008, 03:54
Airbussmooth - For a lot of info you requested do a search for this thread

Etihad Employment - threads merged - all you need to know

cantilever
8th Jun 2008, 09:14
Saltaire

The majority of EK/EY movers on the T7 were AUH based nationals who most definately did not fail anything...
I believe one expat also made the move.

Saltaire
8th Jun 2008, 09:32
Stand corrected, thank-you

One expat made the move from EK to EY...

alghazal
8th Jun 2008, 09:45
And now, the good news is :

You have to pay to come to work and park your car at the airport

Welcome to ****IHAD

EY346Driver
8th Jun 2008, 11:33
huuuu? When did this happen Alghazal? I went to the airport and got into the car park with my card as usual, only difference is that they force us now to go in from the rental car/employees entrance but it's still free.

Please elaborate if you know something we dont, please dont tell me they stooped that low.

sandpit
8th Jun 2008, 12:00
AlGhazal, I know there are problems - but we don't need you to make stuff up - its depressing enough:}. Read the email again. You will only get slugged if you leave your car there more than 9 days.

puppet-master
8th Jun 2008, 14:06
Have you guys seen the MAP. Our slots are away from the covered car park. The birds are going to hAVE A FIELD DAY. Yes **** truely happens:D

NoJoke
8th Jun 2008, 19:47
I though the Company sent transport for pilots the same as Emirates. Have they changed that to a transport allowance?

NG_Kaptain
8th Jun 2008, 19:48
Have any of you received emails from Emirates? Two friends of mine have received offers to interview in the last week. Should I update my application at Dubai? BTW its a rhetorical question, but maybe I should have made a different choice. Maybe if the package improves it wont be an issue.

Jumbo Wambo
8th Jun 2008, 19:50
Sandpit I think it's a rather harsh accusation you make there against Al Ghazal. If you go back and read the email, point number four talks about an annual renewal fee. In a previous email EY said they would refund this. No mention of it here. Also for a new joiner who never recieved the previous email, would interpret it as us having to pay for parking. So technically Al Ghazal has a point.

cayenne
8th Jun 2008, 23:40
You think I am going to pay for parking? Not a f---ing chance!! They are supposed to provide transport but have weaseled out of that, and now we are supposed to pay to park our cars?? Etihad is the only reason that ****ty airport is there. Tell the Airport Authorites we aren't going to pay. Unless of course the airport isn't charging and it is just something JH has invented to add to his bonus fund.

noflare
9th Jun 2008, 07:29
Has anyone in the big office actually confirmed we will now have to pay for parking?...:confused:

This may just be another one of those poorly written, misleading, non proof read missives that are regularly churned out....then again it could be another of Hogies money saving scams!!

atuk
9th Jun 2008, 07:58
No laa bro...it's still free but now you have to go in from the old car rental, now designated employees/staff entrance.

Sir Osis of the river
9th Jun 2008, 09:33
Was this e-mail regarding parking sent by Etihad or was it just forwarded on behalf the airport?

The Porta-cabin has been remarkably silent on who is actually going to to pay the AED400 per year.

Most other airlines either provide transport or provide (Covered), staff parking.

Are the busy bees at the new Academy going to pay for parking? I don't think so!:=

Lets hope they sort the matter out soon.

puppet-master
9th Jun 2008, 11:13
I was told that if we are not happy with the new parking arrangement then we should use Taxi. So stop bitching:{

Sir Osis of the river
9th Jun 2008, 11:22
Puppet M,

Who told you this?

alghazal
9th Jun 2008, 11:36
So cool

Getting better everyday.....

Let's give them what they deserve

Time to show then what kind of bad business practice we are able of, isn't it ?

Minimum fuel, refuel at outstation all the time, even for the smallest amount....
No customer minded attitude whatsoever.
Turbulence speed whenever needed, at any slight wave.....
Taxy at a man's wlaking speed.
No direct.
Use the runway creating the biggest flying time.
Proactive use of ACARS and Satcom whenever possible.
Max reversers thrust whenever possible
No cooperation with ground staff whatsoever
Headcount at everyflight...that's one of the most efficient.....
Tight dangerous goods cargo check in the bays.
And , of course, no cooperation at all with crew control, unless you have a good deal for you.
No flight on OFF days.
Take your 1 hour to join the airport, when you are called from STBY, then take all your time to walk to the aircraft, so as to avoid high blood perssure and stress before a flight...flight safety proactive attitude....

The list is endless, and it costs them so much, in terms of fuel, engine cycles....and image.....

puppet-master
9th Jun 2008, 11:47
Sir Osis,
The parking supervisor when I told him what I thought about the New Parking Position.

EY346Driver
9th Jun 2008, 21:21
Do they try and pi$$ people off or does it come naturally I wonder?

Just a few calculations come to mind.....

We were promised a whopping 4% pay increment, now on my meager capt's salary that equated to about 1300 AED.

Lets see parking cost at airport 400 + 150 = 550 so roughly half my increment is going to park my car to go to work.

Oh I cannot wait for the next Pilot meeting. By the way when my card expires I hope the guys at OCC have plenty of stby's as getting a taxi at Khalifa B is like ...... getting a pay increase from Hogan (comes by but is gone by the time you see it:\)

sandyballs
10th Jun 2008, 04:31
EPR do you really think the 700 AED will be never ending?....keep dreaming!

We will get nothing under Hogans rule..the sooner he goes the better for everyone.
The layer of incompetence he has put in place never ceases to amaze me..just about every dept is a shambles...get some real auditors in and see what they say!

The silence from the portakabin over the parking fees is incredible..either confirm or deny it! :mad:

Sir Osis of the river
10th Jun 2008, 10:59
So the good news is that we won't have to pay for parking.

The bad news is that it is going to cost a lot more than AED400 for a new paint job once your car has been in the sun for a year and the birds have used it as a toilet and beak sharpener.:rolleyes:

CT7
10th Jun 2008, 12:12
And don't think the new announcement of 10 buddy tickets is great.

Take out the maids ticket and the dead parents tickets and you are still left with 4.
So really nothing has been given, and given that the maids tkt was, I think FOC, we lost in the deal. Although you can now send your maid home Diamond Zone !

Add to that the downgrading of the annual leave tkt and the staff not wanting to do anything to assist you with these travel plans...

It's better to stay at home or take a confirmed ID 100 on EK!

BCF Breath
10th Jun 2008, 12:40
A320 / A330 mixed Fleet Flying......

Looks like GCAA have said the big NO to that option....

alghazal
10th Jun 2008, 13:06
Maybe we have written this thousand times.......

Lies, lies and again lies

EY has promised mixed fleet to attract the A320 skippers with A330 dreams......

And now.....as George says: What else......

Well the answer is nothing....as usual there

To all our A320 colleagues.....I feel sorry guys .

You believed them and now nothing will happen, you are stuck there on the sand pit , just like the others

CT7
12th Jun 2008, 18:28
Al Ghazal....

What has Georgio said now...... ?

Missed that email...?

speedtouch
12th Jun 2008, 20:00
Have been emailing in EY :ugh:........Much from the company on Mixed Fleet flying.....so are you sure no MFF? With respect, can you pls source this info or pls just post the link ?

This is one of the biggest pulls for me from a reasonable British carrier.......A330 etc... very quick time to command...nice villas and "it's not hard to fit in here!"
all the usual spiel. This is quite important for me, as I would also uproot my partner; so an honest sensible reply would be appreciated....otherwise as I am not desperate to leave - I'll stay put and beat off the hoodies at Sainbury's, while paying tax to Gordon Brown![Having said that ..at least I am home:ok:] Good luck to all. ST

cayenne
12th Jun 2008, 22:12
Speedtouch, stay where you are.

There is no guarantee about anything here. Even if you have it in writing, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Which nice Villa's would you be referring to? The ones in Khalifa City "B"? There are none of those left. You will more likely be put up in a hotel or an apartment in Mussafah. That is a city which is basically a workers accomodation area. Not our kind of workers either, but ones where there are 10 to a tent. Trust me, the euphoria and hard on of flying a shiny new jet wears off pretty fast when, you can't pick any part of your roster, get screwed out of leave, get treated like crap from the top on down, paid less than the low cost down the road, (which by the way has been in business less time Etihad and managed to pay out a bonus 12 or 15 timers more than ours) have to share hotel rooms on layovers, have perks taken away with every "increase" in pay, etc. etc.....

speedtouch
13th Jun 2008, 09:58
Much obliged Cayenne! I may just give myself a little more thinking time:ok: I am still interested in the source for NO MFF though. [For info- they spoke of "the most modern accomodation available - Khalifa C methinks?].........One question though, if it is really so bad then why do so many stay? yes it would uproot any family again, yes it a petty bad time in Europe/US but there must be something you would rather do [or on the flip side, keeping you all there] if it is so poor?

blizar
13th Jun 2008, 10:34
why do we stay ?

well good question.

being senior most of us have a nice accomodation (not cie provided) so family is happy.
being senior here we know how it works... so we can play with the same rules

moneywise ... it's crap... nothing to add

roster, leave, well... we are used to it now, it does't hurt my back anymore

alghazal
13th Jun 2008, 11:29
Hear in the cockpits that mixed fleet A320/A330 is a NO.....

Lot of guys have the resignation word in the mouth, as well as the word liars..... Don't know why....

omething we are used to as well...the lies

outofsynch
13th Jun 2008, 16:28
I wonder why GCAA would say no?? It seems easily practicable in many other airlines worldwide. I just cant see EY taking a simple no, and giving up on the idea. Its got too many financial and operational advantages for them.

triple sec
14th Jun 2008, 18:34
Anyone care to comment on the differences from then to date, Considering the inflation and Management changes EY has gone through in the past 4 years:\

This is from 4 years ago on another thread.

Starting base pay for a Captain 19,500 Dirhams F/O 13,000.

Daily rate. 750 DHS Capt. 450 F/O

Approx 20 days a month.

NO overtime.
You pay for utilities.
NO loss of License insurance.
NO company travel to or from work or allowance.
NO per diems.
NO nightstop pay.
One return economy class ticket to the country of residence per year for you and family.
Med covered 100% for you up to a max of 200,000 DHS.
Housing 85,000 for F/O's 90,000 for Capt's. if you sign a lease with them. If you want to take the cash only 72,000.
One months BASE salary for every year employed as a end of terms bonus.

triple click
14th Jun 2008, 19:54
sorry i forgot to say thanks a lot ey to put in the same situation!! always behind reality!! we might never catch the train:suspect:

michaeljpotter
14th Jun 2008, 20:53
Hi chaps,

I've been reading this topic intensely because up untill a few hours ago I thought the middle east is where I want to be.
I'm only 19, I've got my PILAPT's at Flight Training Europe, Jerez and I've applied for the Cadet Scheme with EY.
My dad works out in DXB, he hates the locals and doesnt like DXB anymore because I suppose he gets a rough time. But I still love going down to visit, there and AUH and I personally thought thats where I ultimately want to be. As a 19 year old with no family ties as such I thought it would be a brilliant place for me.
Love the weather, lifestyle seems brilliant, and as a pilot I'd be doing what I love which is flying.
Having read this though its changed my mind somewhat. I dont like the U.K anymore, I couldnt get on the property market, I couldnt afford a car that I really want. Petrol is sky-high, the weather is appauling and worst of all we've got that mess of that gin primeinister we have in our G&T's.
So...any feedback would be brilliant. Would I be making a mistake if say for arguments sake I was offered a place on the EY Cadet Scheme?
Or as a young single person does it still have more to offer?

Cheers,
Mike

Driver of Buses
15th Jun 2008, 03:20
Hi Mike,

The best one can do when starting a career is to find out as much information as possible on the chosen profession and the opportunities it might bring. This applies to everything one does, be it work, business or investment opportunities. (ie research and due diligence).

Asking for advise in this forum is part of that research but don't base your decision solely on the responses received herein. You will find many negative viewpoints in this forum and in many cases justifiable criticism of working conditions but this alone is not justification for basing your decision of a career path.

There are pros and cons in all things and the 'green grass syndrome' is extremely prevalent in this industry.

The best thing you can do is study and get yourself physically and mentally prepared for your future career. Work on building a positive mental attitude and take the opportunities that present themselves.

Many of us had to work our way from scratch without the opportunity of cadet programs or scholarships. Many had to work double jobs to pay for flying and to live in undesirable places in order to get those extra hours and experience that would lead to a better job. So the current pilot shortage is opening up many opportunities for new comers.

The aviation industry has changed substantially over the years and in your lifetime will continue to change. At 19 you are at the start of your flying career. One of the best things about the current aviation industry is that if one is not happy with their current employer there are always opportunities elsewhere.

All the very best..

michaeljpotter
15th Jun 2008, 12:06
DOB. Thanks very much for your response.

I understand your comments, flying is something that I've always known that I wanted to do. Both in my heart and my head. Multiple members of my family are in the aviation industry, so I've had the opportunity to travel relatively cheaply and speak with many pilots along my journeys.
I decided from a young age that it was what I wanted to do and so I have always aimed myself at this.

I had anticipated a few responses along the lines of dont work for this company etc etc but to be honest I think I need to do whatever I feel right. However I did want feedback and suggestions on what it would be like for me for example as a single person within this airline specifically.
I'm a great believer of good things come to those who wait...and up untill the turn of 2008 things were not good. However I've so far been given a great opportunity to try and prove myself next month to FTE and have the qualifications and drive to apply for the EY Cadet Pilot Scheme. I'm looking to keep all my options open and so once again I appreciate your response.
I'm hoping it works out well for me regardless and I cant see myself in any other career but flying.
Thank you once again,

Regards
Mike

NoJoke
16th Jun 2008, 07:36
Ok Mike. Think about it. Look at the market in the States. If some of the Major Airlines collapse what will the market be like then? Not to mention some financially shaky Airlines in Europe. Having been made redundant many times and having had to work in less than savoury Airlines and locations please take my advice and become a plumber - or something.

Do you want to continually work in the middle of the night locked in a box? The glamour and the glory are no longer here, and as for the pay...... However, as they say, yer pays yer money and you take yer chance.

All the best whatever you do.

NJ

hermione
26th Jun 2008, 12:09
Hi guys

after reading all your comments on the awful housing situation at EY now I wonder if there are any other "half-truths" :bored: about EY benefits....

-what about the medical insurance for pilots and families? does it work efficiently?
-is it easy for you or your families to get a seat on board while using ID tickets?

Waiting for your info....

alghazal
30th Jun 2008, 12:56
EY is fat on A330 and A340 crews, thus they can play the rough game with them....Nobody's leaving yet, isn't it ?

On A320, though, things are different, Mixed fleet is a long time gone dream and/or lie, upgrades all go on A320, coz nobody wants to go there with lower salary, poor lay-over accomodation , crazy changing rosters, hardly any more than a day in advance planning.

Of course all these bad aspects come on top of the usual Pathetihad crap, like:

Poor medical
Accomodation nightmare
Day to day harrassment
Poor rostering
Non cooperative policies
etc etc....

Speedbrake Lever
30th Jun 2008, 17:54
Hey Ghazal

I'm on the 320 and couldn't be happier yes maybe a few pennies shorter on cash than the other lot

but i'm home almost every night our night stop places are grand for a seasoned campaigner like myself

big deal i've had 2 roster changes in 3 months and they were just day trips

i feel a bit for the new joiners of late they are havin a bad time with housing

as regards schooling its called " Wasta '

either you have it or you don't

they're not great but believe you me they will do fine

until oil comes down to 80$ a barrel

S.L.

alghazal
1st Jul 2008, 15:50
You just can't excuse them because where you come from is worse....

Look up, not down....

Maybe you have connections with rostering, but so far, between the layovers and the night trips to CAI, TRV, COK, DAM, and the famous KRT....almost everyone can say that life is tough compared to ther fleets...
Let's take 2 examples :

KRT night turnaround is usually often planned with 2 pilots on the A320 fleet, whereas on the A330, they are 4.... Where did we see that the A320 was faster than an A330? maybe turnaround time is shorter, but hey, KRT is well known for being dangerous....so safety is not an issue on A320 now ?

Transit Checks in outstations ....
A320 captains are required to sign out the aircraft in IKA, BOM, COK, TRV, DOH etc... just because they want to cut costs, and of course with no compensation for the additionnal responsability....

Why don't the A330 and A340 skippers do the same and put their hands in the hydraulic fluid, oil and Jet A1 ?? Wonder why ?

When you fly almost 90 hours plus AVLB days on an A320, even if you are home often, in which shape are you Superman ?

Another one for the UAE Flag carrier :

The 2 new A320's EIF and EIG cming from Indigo, with a full Economy lowcost configiration, guess what ???

They gonna stay in this configuration without even a wet galley, because it's too expensive to retrofit them in 2 class configuration....
Do you think we will require Inspired Cabin crews for No service except cold sandwiches for 3 hours sectors ?

Welcome to ETIHAD EXPRESS, The most expensive low cost carrier of the Middle East.

Speedbrake Lever
1st Jul 2008, 17:45
Not going to enter a discussion

but i agree with you on EIF EIG

sorry its 4 pilots on night KRT

got our transit authority but it ain't being used yet !!

90 hours a month - sorry 65-70 more like it

and yes i prefer a meal on kovalam beach better than crap in LHR FRA or wherever

been there done that but never got a t-shirt

S.L.

alghazal
2nd Jul 2008, 07:26
Well, aggree with you on a few points...but still......

There is no perfect place, but why look down as we can look up and raise our concerns...I do, and I must admit, without any positive result yet....

Some keep discovering, In Etihad we keep trying............ :}

airbussmooth
2nd Jul 2008, 12:24
statement: A330 and A340 fat on crew>> :ugh:

If that is the case what about A320?? Why do they show so many

vacancies still posted on positions for 330/340 :ok:

Jet II
2nd Jul 2008, 12:56
Why don't the A330 and A340 skippers do the same and put their hands in the hydraulic fluid, oil and Jet A1 ??

If the 320 crews are "putting their hands in the hydraulic fluid, oil and Jet A1" then they're doing it wrong ;)

funky monkey
2nd Jul 2008, 14:25
think someone here is grossly and out of some, but not all proportions, making mountains out of mole hills!!!!!
come on, reality please. i dont know one guy changing the oil, hydraulics etc etc..... even though the paperwork may read in a certain direction!
heres to living in the sandpit!
rockin:}

NG_Kaptain
2nd Jul 2008, 15:29
I do pre-flights. Am I missing something? Haven't added oil or hydraulic fluid nor have I refueled the aircraft. Will I be getting a letter of reprimand soon?:confused:

Jumbo Wambo
2nd Jul 2008, 22:17
Anyone read the latest Etihad Today? Page 2 ADAC Parking Changes. Again we ask who is going to pay the AED 400????

alghazal
3rd Jul 2008, 06:18
The question is :

Why do A320 skippers have to take the responsability of a transit check while the A330 A340 B777 skippers don't at the same outstations ??

Just to save the cost of ridding engineers, or a decent technical assistance , as A320 have more daily flights ??

Doesn't make sense....

Of course, nobody will touch hydraulic fluid, but that's what the course is about, hydraulic refill and oil refill...... Based on EY past experience , hardly anything came from worse to better in many areas, so why should this one ?

triple click
11th Jul 2008, 22:39
And on top of the 900 aed u have to pay 10aed/hour after 9 days :ugh:

SOOO MEEAAAANNN!!! ****IHAD :yuk:

Chandler Bing
12th Jul 2008, 10:51
Regarding Parking lot, no way I'm gonna pay, Crew Control can wait for me then !!!!!!

Regarding the package as it seems to be this thread's subject.

The good things to me are:

The subload tickets : travelling is quite easy

Crew atmosphere on board is relaxed

Aircrafts are new except the A320s which really s:mad:k

Job security

Life in AUH is quite fine except summer

I heard about an AUH urban legend called profit sharing, could not see it though...

The rest is as follows:

Medical is pretty bad; not that I did expect anything here but they seem so proud of it, can't believe there are so many exceptions...... You hardly can have a doctor appointment reimbursed..... Good luck if you have kids....

Accomodation , what accomodation ? Mussafah Swamp ? or pay 7000 AED monthly your pocket to get a villa while others get flats or other villas for free ? The entire thing sucks so much, you just can't believe

Pension ? No

Stable Rosters ? Depend on your ability to s:mad:k rostering' b:mad:s

Training ? Provided you can fit in the seat and say yes

Layover accomodations ? could be way better for a national airline

Promotion ? See rostering

Overall salary isn't too bad for F/O's, and an insult for Capains not talking about the lack of exchange rate protection like North of AUH.

No crew transportation

Wish I could have gone EK but not too late, they still call me

boeingcrap
12th Jul 2008, 23:15
I've put off my EK interview so I don't have to repay the lousy furniture and training bond if I leave in September. My left seat slot is also coming up in 10 months so I'd better get those 2000 golden command hours and go marching to EK where I can expect bonus, better housing, better retirement plan, better education. I'm joining the exodus so let's all do it fellas!!:ok:

EY346Driver
13th Jul 2008, 05:11
I hope our management realise that we will not be paying for the parking at the airport.

shortfuel
13th Jul 2008, 07:36
I have been told that this ADAC Airport Parking email was sent to all UAE-based staff but it doesn't concern flght crews in terms of payment.
EY will pay whatever it takes, but flight crews will be entitled of free parking spaces at the airport.

1/ Information to be confirmed
2/ IF this information is confirmed, the email sender is really stupid to spread erroneous information like that. It only creates anger and frustration...
IF not, this is completely NOT acceptable; EY would make a dramatic mistake by implementing this to flight crews.

To be continued...

CT7
14th Jul 2008, 04:59
Went to the airport, paid the 900aed went to HR and got it back b4 I left.

Just get someone to use your card whilst you are out of the country, solves the 9 day issue.

freebie61
14th Jul 2008, 09:42
hi guys..
i have an interview coming up in july..all sounded so great in the package but you guys are scaring me now..housing that bad? pay that bad? i;m thinking of bringing over a family of 4..usairways has to let 300+ of us go..
what's the interview, sim ride, and technical test like?
thxs,
mike...:ok:

CT7
14th Jul 2008, 10:44
er, Yes, Yes, I wouldn't - too costly, interview fine, Sim - standard stuff, tech, more general knowledge. But OK.

Have you heard of Emirates...?

goeasy
14th Jul 2008, 21:03
Same sh!t ... worse city

Togalk
14th Jul 2008, 22:02
Better airline

frieghtdog
15th Jul 2008, 02:26
ct7
Whats happening to you man, last year you seemed happy and lately it looks like Etihad is changing you mood. Whats happing there now ?
best regards

AirPanda
19th Jul 2008, 09:31
It may sound like a cliche after all what have been posted here. Etihad Airways needs to do something about the current housing situation...

Allwances are far from realistic and have nothing to do with what's happening in the market. Sometimes I can't help but wonder, is the housing departments really talking about the same Abu Dhabi that I live in?? Someone up there needs to stop acknowledging and apologizing about the price increase... to step down and do something for apology alone is of no help to us.

With the smallest single bedroom apartments costing 6-didt figures in annual lease, technically, if you are a senior officer or even in junior management, you can't afford a place to live in. You are indirectly compelled to break the UAE laws and sub-lease along with lodgers just make ends meet and save just a bit of money. Mind you, sharing accomodation is banned by the UAE laws and is considered a felony to wich one could be jailed and heavily fined. Therefore, I fully hold Etihad Airways HR and housing department responsible for this "felony" I was forced to commit. Seriously, my heart goes out for those with families and kids to send to schools. It must be tough out there.

Moving to ADAC in a few weeks after serving EY for 4 years.... Will miss EY but I just got sick & tired of being forced to break the law. Mind you, many are leaving for the same reasons.

:uhoh::confused:

EGGW
22nd Jul 2008, 12:18
Gents can we put the handbags away please, your behaving like juveniles!!

Please get back onto the subject, or i will delete every post that isn't on topic.

EGGW

Dixons Cider
22nd Jul 2008, 12:34
fair enough EGGW - handbag stowed. :}

Sal-e
22nd Jul 2008, 12:36
And I, chastised.:uhoh: Handbag retracted.

jjairbus777
31st Jul 2008, 17:14
Any Ideas why interviews for upgrade were cancelled this month?

CanadaRocks
31st Jul 2008, 17:55
They are hiring DEC, maybe.

easton87
3rd Aug 2008, 17:23
I am currently in Abu Dhabi renting accomodation with my partner, I therefore dont need the cabin crew accomodation, would I be entitled to a housing allowance?

KRUGERFLAP
3rd Aug 2008, 19:03
Maybe one of the reasons is the big ROAD SHOW in USA coming now in August and i think they wish to recruit a lot of DEC's:ugh:

SandDragon
3rd Aug 2008, 22:27
tHe guys doing their upgrade are taking like 3 months .

and they are still surviving on basic pay .
pay should be at least an average of your last 6 months .
would make the transition alot smoother .

fractional
4th Aug 2008, 08:12
There are pilots abound. Shortage is a myth. Just look what's happening with the American, European carriers and others in the real competitive world?
Just like EK did so far, EY, and others needing it, will go anywhere and everywhere to make the numbers work without having to change their present pay scale. And they will only change pay packages if those numbers become short of the targets. It is obvious that the "bean counters" will do just that everywhere in the world; pay on demand.

camelbreath
4th Aug 2008, 09:42
Hiring Americans is a short sighted policy....very few will be long term...first sign of trouble or an upturn in US aviation and they will be gone.....sorry guys its true!:}

fractional
4th Aug 2008, 10:39
Hiring Americans is a short sighted policy....very few will be long term...first sign of trouble or an upturn in US aviation and they will be goneA competent manager will have that vision, but policies here are usually run in short term. It's important to look good.

cantilever
5th Aug 2008, 08:55
The problem is there are only a few competent managers in EK and I dont think they do recruiting!:}

I do however agree that hiring furloughed US pilots is not the answer, it might help short term to fill seats but they need to start planning a little more long term. Train guys like EK and stop looking for the easy option everytime!
Hogan needs to realise that saving a few pence today is not a longterm recruitment plan...give the recruitment people the green light to put something more substantial in place....stop thinking about your bonus for once!:rolleyes:

KRUGERFLAP
6th Aug 2008, 09:14
Hey guys , please put some pictures online for us to see this beautifull accomodation? LOL

And what really means SMBZC? No jokes pls.

Home In The Sky
6th Aug 2008, 09:54
Chandler Bing, stop moaning. You had all the warning in the world about EY and it's problems...... especially accommodation, but you decided you knew better and chose to ignore. Now you are moaning like a stuck pig. You made your bed, now sleep in it.
It means smbzc means sheikh mohd bin zayed city

ironbutt57
6th Aug 2008, 10:40
Why don't you anti-American folks here name a nationality that hasnt moved on? Or bitch on Pprune for that matter...dont think the bitchers and moaners here are yanks are they??

sandyballs
6th Aug 2008, 10:49
No they dont stay around long enough!:}

KRUGERFLAP
6th Aug 2008, 11:05
hey could you pls put a link for google map position of that Etihad accomodation or pictures?

This is the link for the newest Qatar airways Accomodation,if any pilot have the curiosity to know

Ain Khalid Gate Compound. Villas for Captains(4 Bedrooms), 3 bedrooms Apts for married F/Os and 2 Bedrooms Apts for Single F/Os.

ain khalid gate compound,doha,qatar - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ain+khalid+gate+compound,doha,qatar&jsv=122&sll=24.494647,54.706764&sspn=0.069827,0.109863&ie=UTF8&latlng=25234103,51467804,18131873210560538876&ei=LoSZSI6VOYiW2wKX1bXDAg&cd=1)

Tks,

KF

NG_Kaptain
6th Aug 2008, 17:49
Crew Fraternizing?
Can we or not?

It seemed as though at QR, the postings mostly stated it was not allowed.

Sure would be a lonely existance if it were frowned upon.

At EY is not an issue

sec 3
7th Aug 2008, 03:03
Not an issue, except if you live in the Al Jazeera building:}

long-gonner
7th Aug 2008, 05:38
Can someone please explain the Al Jazerra building........ Is it a dump or just a party place for all the singles??

PILOTOAIR
7th Aug 2008, 10:22
My friends u r speaking for the most useless person in EY......
Mr S.R. do not expect more than that.....in the good way.........

Etihadghostrider
7th Aug 2008, 13:59
A picture is worth a thousand words. I did a recce the other day to see what this place looked like and snapped a few photo's. If someone can explain how tp ost them on here I will gladly put them up.

Pretty shocking, and I was trying to view the SMBZC complex with an open mind.

EGGW
7th Aug 2008, 14:29
Put the images on a webpage, lots of web options for that and then include the link in a post. Don't use flickr as its banned in the UAE.

EGGW

Etihadghostrider
9th Aug 2008, 11:39
Lets see if this works.

my latest images of Etihads housing for all new joiners and existing pilots who wish to move.

These are average shots of the complex and mussafah. I did not try and find the worst views, just pics from within and around 5 minutes of SZBMC.

Etihadghostrider - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u328/Etihadghostrider/)

I hope this works.

triple click
9th Aug 2008, 14:02
What is the present situation? anybody moved in already? how many buildings are ready or occupied?

What guys do you plan to do?

Hope Ey will get rid of all this clowns at housing dept.. not to mentioned SR :oh:

CanadaRocks
9th Aug 2008, 14:38
The 2 men, do not look to happy that you have taken their picture. Nice looking couple!

KRUGERFLAP
9th Aug 2008, 15:36
Hey guys do you know how it looks inside?Is there any Club house with pool,gym and a field for team sports, Kids park? From outside not that bad. OK the area is crap, like in Qatar Airways around Ain Khalid Gate the newest Compound for flight deck crew but in Abu Dhabi at least they have a project for the whole area and it will look nicer in the coming years after the development.

fractional
9th Aug 2008, 16:03
I cannot figure out in Google where this buildings are. Could anyone show it please? I was in AUH few weeks ago, but obviously I wasn't looking for MBZC.
I believe the area will change its present looks within 5 to 10 years as it happened in Dubai, Sharjah, Doha, Manama, Muscat where the waste land was replaced by nice residencial areas. Unles you buy your own apartment/house, do not expect anything of high standards.
Read this stuff published in AMEInfo last March. I do not know where Z6/1, ME8, ME9, Z9, and Z29 sectors of Mohammed Bin Zayed City are, and this is why it would be nice to know it in Google from someone familiar with it.
The Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council, the agency responsible for the Urban Planning of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi , and the expert authority behind the visionary Plan Abu Dhabi 2030 Urban Structure Framework Plan, announced an enhancement of the design regulations covering commercial towers in Mohammed Bin Zayed City (MBZ City).
The enhancement, which increases the flexibility of the design guidelines within the MBZ development, affects the tower developments in the Z6/1, ME8, ME9, Z9, and Z29 sectors of Mohammed Bin Zayed City, located on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi Island.
H.E. Falah Al Ahbabi, General Manager of the Urban Planning Council stated that the revisions to the design guidelines will allow a more beneficial mix of apartments, without sacrificing the quality of living and provision of services intended and reflected in the master-plans.
According to the approved master-plans, every tower to be built in MBZ City has a defined maximum allowed built-up area. The design regulations will now outline the maximum allowable number of units per building type to plot owners. With these two parameters, plot owners can decide on the apartment mix to be used.
H.E. Falah Al Ahbabi, General Manager of the Urban Planning Council, said 'We reviewed objectively the need for changes in the interpretation of the design guidelines, aiming to ensure that plot owners could maximize their investment as well as respond to market demands. The decision to implement this policy is also a safeguard to ensure unbiased treatment for every plot owner.
'All other regulations will remain as issued and as per the approved master-plans. This new regulations, in combination with the design guidelines already published, will ensure that targeted quality of living as well as the envisioned spirit of the development are maintained.'
Al Ahbabi further stated that the ideal mix across the development would likely be, by area, 25 per cent one-bedroom apartments, 60 per cent two-bedroom apartments, 10 per cent three-bedroom apartments and 5 per cent four-bedroom apartments. However, he said the final choice of apartment mix would be made by plot owners, as long as these remained within the maximum number of units and built-up area.

EY346Driver
9th Aug 2008, 16:14
Although I haven't checked I doubt the building will be on Google Maps as it's new and they don't update the maps that frequently. You'll probably get a good idea of the area though.

The "couple" in the pictures posted (linked) above is indicative of the local inhabitants over the weekend.

fractional
9th Aug 2008, 17:12
EY346Driver, the location is good enough even without showing the buildings. Google, under Satellite (with the Show Labels ticked), gives a pretty good indication where these buildings are now located. Google isn't too bad. The new AUH runway is already showing.
Tks anyway.

jjairbus777
9th Aug 2008, 17:21
I think that housing in EY is a matter of luck!! remember when some of us joined, there were no company provided accommodation, then they started with some city buildings, then they were not enough. Then came the villas in Khalifa City B, nobody wanted them, now they aren't enough. Delma took like 6 months to be full, etc., etc, and now is Mussafah of SMBZC (as some ones call it), tomorrow????? nobody knows.... I really believe that someone must plan the growth of the company with all it's consequences, it is irresponsible to plan to buy 100 airplanes and dream of a huge airline without planning on housing, schooling, PARKING!!!!, benefits, etc., etc., so please Mr. JH and board of directors for the first time in your lives don't be greedy and selfish, and and do what you've learned in the university (the management process is PLANING, organizing, executing, directing and controlling) we really look forward to have at least one good memory of your management. So please fix something tangible, not stupid things like dress code, travel down-gradings, ethics code, OTP (when in the 99.9% it's not crew's fault), etc.

KRUGERFLAP
9th Aug 2008, 17:44
Found at google:

Panoramio - Photo of Sheikh Mohd Bin Zayed City (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6651714)

Panoramio - Photo of Sheikh Mohd Bin Zayed City, (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6632666)

Panoramio - Photo of Mussaffa Round About 1 (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7022216)

This pictures were taken in jan 2008 so a bit old. But i don't think area is that bad

And take a look in the project

Mohammed Bin Zayed City, U.A.E. (http://www.dwpltd.com/projects/planning/mbz/mbz.html)

I don't think is that bad guys.

fractional
9th Aug 2008, 18:27
KRUGERFLAP, tks for the links. It doesn't surprised me at all. When the younger Zayeds wanted to break away from GF and create their own airline over 20 years ago, they had a master plan for a aviation or airline city just like Saudia city for those familiar with JED. However, I believe the area was either what is the Khalifa City A or B today.

NG_Kaptain
9th Aug 2008, 19:15
There are quite a few pilots living in compounds in Khalifa B (Moonbase Bravo), but I think there are none available right now.

Sir Osis of the river
10th Aug 2008, 02:30
The location of the new buildings is not ideal, but the Government plans for the area are huge. I see there is another massive high rise complex going up one block down the same road. "Apparently" the labour camp over the road will be gone within a year.

The apartments themselves are not too bad. Rooms decent size, kitchens bigger than Khalifa B villas'. Only Three apartments per floor.

Shared by all the blocks there are Two indoor swiming pools with jacuzzis, steam rooms and saunas. Two gyms, (Not yet equipped, so no idea what they will have?) Large kids play area between the blocks. Two tennis courts.

Lots of underground parking, but no storage lockers.

Within five minutes drive, a new mall going up, including Carrefoure.

Some look ready for occupation.

But it is still in MUSSAFAH!

RWP
10th Aug 2008, 20:10
How far of a drive is it from one to the other?

Thanks

jjairbus777
10th Aug 2008, 22:49
It all depends on how fast you drive or how many speed tickets you want to have.... I really think that the proper questions are.... How far is the school for my kids away?.... or... how late I am for the flight?....

RWP
10th Aug 2008, 23:24
No kids to worry about only an old lady that will insist upon running into town to shop at Alah & Taylor.

Really, just curious as to how many miles, as there appears not to be to much around the Mussafa area.

Also, are there any job opportunities for the expat wives?

Thanks

jjairbus777
10th Aug 2008, 23:32
Ohhhhh yes..... wives have an opportunity at EY, they really use them a lot and pay.... you know... but that's preferable that keeping them at home....(please let us help the company chap.....)

RWP
11th Aug 2008, 00:43
I was referring to work other than at EY.

CT7
11th Aug 2008, 11:11
Yes, they can get work outside Etihad and it's preferable, and 6000aed a month if you want to work for EY... I wouldn't even get outta bed for that, what an insult!

Mussafah, well, apparently the crystal ball says there's going to be lots happening there. Of course when it does EY will move you out 'cause the rents will be too high. But huge shopping malls etc.... Hotels, the works.

Depends on what you want, and remember it's free so sorta hard to complain... sorta....

And swimming pools, what, two of them, indoors, outstanding! Where do I sign up? Kahlifa City B got none of that...

Jet II
13th Aug 2008, 04:48
Mussafah, well, apparently the crystal ball says there's going to be lots happening there. Of course when it does EY will move you out 'cause the rents will be too high. But huge shopping malls etc.... Hotels, the works.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Meanwhile the reality of Mussafah today is spelt out in today's National.

MUSAFFAH // Thousands of workers are living in makeshift dormitories and potentially unsafe conditions in the industrial town of Musaffah, according to the authorities.

The light industries section of Musaffah could be easily mistaken for a city slum. Satellite dishes sprout from the top of low-rise buildings, personal belongings hang from windows and clothes lines stand on the sides and the backs of scrap and repair shops.

One building has been turned into workers’ accommodation at the back of a service station. To enter the building, you have to pass a group of unused, dusty cars and navigate a dark, narrow alley reeking of rotten water and cigarettes.

Beneath the staircase are two massive air-compressors, feeding the service station. Workers hang their blue overalls on the walls surrounding the two engines.

At first glance, there is nothing unusual about another building, the Rony Miah repair shop, with fridges and air-conditioning units lined up at the front. However, inside, there are at least six people living on beds without mattresses in the attic, made of plywood and steel. The workers refuse to criticise their living conditions because they say there are no better options. “In Abu Dhabi, you can’t live in a shop, and in Musaffah, you can’t, said Rony, the shop owner 28, who also lives in the attic. “What am I going to do?”

Jet II
14th Aug 2008, 17:11
Looks like Mussafah wont be getting those "huge shopping malls etc.... Hotels, the works.." anytime soon.

from today's Business24-7

Authorities in Abu Dhabi have allowed hundreds of companies in the vast Musaffah industrial city to build houses for their workers.

The Higher Corporation for Specialised Economic Zones (HCSEZ), which runs Musaffah and other industrial zones, will oversee the construction of the project.

The decision to build houses in those areas followed repeated complaints by workers about poor living conditions and unannounced visits by inspectors from Abu Dhabi Municipality and Ministry of Labour to company quarters and stores, which housed thousands of workers, mostly Asians.

Musaffah, one of the largest industrial zones in the Gulf, houses thousands of companies involved in various types of activities. At least 5,000 workers are employed by those firms, mostly from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India.

CT7
17th Aug 2008, 21:37
OK to be precise, Mussafah and S/Bin Zayed cities are two different beasts, albeit sep by a large road... My fault for the wrong naming....

If you move (like you have a choice...) to SBZ at least you wont have far to go to get yer car serviced!! :8

Jetjock330
19th Aug 2008, 17:45
Geez! (http://www.flydubai.com/vacancies/Pilot_recruitment_information.asp#Airline_Operations) Fly Dubai!

Even if you remove the housing of Dhm15000 per month (compared to Company housing at EY), that's 42000 to fly a B737.

And, pay you to fly on an OFF Day. ooooff! :D

RWP
20th Aug 2008, 16:01
Does the US tax situation work out OK?
Specifically, are you able to get away with hiding more from Uncle Sam. Foreign income tax credit is 83K a year, but does EY give the equivalent of an W-2 that would be hard to keep the IRS from finding out more?

Thanks

frieghtdog
20th Aug 2008, 18:30
know we are talking,

goeasy
21st Aug 2008, 01:47
These apartment are actually quite spacious, and the whole project is an attempt to get some decent housing quick. Not really my cup of tea in the long term but certainly a huge improvement on living in a hotel room. The swimming pools are not very large for a serious swimmer. (About 12m by my pacing) but will be great for kids while mums dissolve in jaccuzzi....

For those that dont know it, EY has taken 10 apartment blocks of 12 floors, out of about 15 in development. It isnt Mussafah.... except to those who want to run it down.... unless Abu Dhabi is being renamed Dubai South. SMBZC is next to Mussafa, but there are lotsa nice suburbs worldwide next to less desirable ones. The villas (not EY) being built around SMBZC dont look too cheap!

The buldings at the front are all a new shopping Mall and office blocks so there is no need to consider those 'nearest supermarket' photos on the website linked above.

Google Earth 24°22'16.84"N 54°32'16.39"E

Chicken_Shawarma
21st Aug 2008, 06:45
Someone else asked about EK the same question, for EY, is the housing allowance direct cash deposit into your account or how does it work?

Many thanks.

bodypilot86
21st Aug 2008, 22:02
Hi all,

Are there any positives to working for Etihad? What do you enjoy about it? It can't be all bad can it?

Is it possible that I'm getting a glimpse at the working practices of middle eastern companies through the vague and slightly unprofessional way they seem to be starting their cadet scheme? Beginning of August I get an e-mail saying "please come to second phase in Abu Dhabi at either end of August or October/November"; I reply immediately asking for end of August. Next week is as end of August as you can get and no word, not even to confirm receipt of my e-mail. Additionally, their e-mail was batch sent out to all of the candidates and as a result I have all their e-mail addresses and they have mine - good job protecting data and being professional.

When I phoned direct to the sender of the e-mail she said that it was all in hand and not to worry; no explanation, no dates, no interest.

Is this a dreadful pattern emerging and should I turn back now while I still have the chance or has this thread been filled with so much negativity that is all to easy to find?

frieghtdog
22nd Aug 2008, 03:19
GOEasy May you tell us more about the apartments itself, thats ( what size square meter or feet, number of bed rooms ). Does Etihad supply appliances like stove fridge washer and dryer etc.
Thanks

goeasy
22nd Aug 2008, 07:36
Apartments are mostly 2 bed (Cabin crew??) the rest are 3 bed. But all have maids room too, with ensuite.

Cant give specific dimensions of all rooms, but paced out livin/dining room of 3 bed apartment and it was about 8x5m. Not too small! Other rooms were adequate size. Kitchen smallish, but enough, as long as you dont wanta table in there. All bedrooms have loads of storage built in. Master bed has ensuite bathroom.

ALL appliances supplied by tennants. But aircon is included of course, so not on your utility bill.

CT7
23rd Aug 2008, 14:27
Last amount I heard you get for furnishings and shipping is about 42.000dhs.

shortfuel
23rd Aug 2008, 19:30
Settling In Allowance:
F/O 42500 Dhs
CAPT 47500 Dhs

Accomodation Allowance paid monthly along with salary.

Note: if you decide to take your own accomodation and to involve EY in paying the rent, you can receive UP TO 160 000 Dhs/annum (F/0). In other words: if you rent for 120 000 Dhs and for any reason EY pays the rent directly to the tenant (cause sometimes they request one full year in advance), don't expect to get 40 000 Dhs in your pocket...you won't.

frankbama
24th Aug 2008, 04:03
Shortfuel; If someone wanted to take the allowance and buy something will they give you the full amount? In the road shows they tell you that they only have apartments right now. I keep reading they are lying, if they aren't giving apartments what are they giving? If they are giving apartments what are they lying about. We are thinking of going over also but I too must say all this is a little scary. Thanks

DenizD
24th Aug 2008, 06:01
DO you guys at EY think this would be a good move for a single guy in his 20's going fom NYC to AUH?

shortfuel
24th Aug 2008, 07:46
frankbama: you would get full amount in that case.

There are happy people in Etihad (incl. me), there're just not here to write it in upper case letters!

Unions are not allowed in this part of the Middle East.

Relocating far from his borders could be scary...

And yes...after reading EY threads, nobody would think of joining, the truth doesn't lie in those threads. Some facts are emphasized too much because they're linked to personal situations.

It's just about a balance between reality and expectations.

I wouldn't qualify EY as a dream job (too early!)...but a very good job, secure, with extremely good prospects.

EY346Driver
24th Aug 2008, 12:40
I will agree with shortfuel, there are a number of us very happy here but, and there is a big BUT.

For an airline which is planning to be a world leader in the field, we have to do it right from the start. A major problem from day one of operations which is still not solved is housing; it causes much frustration to new joiners and their families who come here to join this airline.
I'm sad to say that I have spoken with several of our new colleagues who face the housing problem and they are all left with a bad first impression of our airline and Abu Dhabi in general. How can our management expect these individuals to have an enthousiastic start to a new career with our airline and think of our guests when they face enormous problems at home.

It's time this problem is solved once and for all. Build a huge villa compound to house our people in a nice community, it not only is a sound investment and a serious asset but above all will motivate our people when the airline shows it cares for them and their families.

I hope someone is reading this where it matters.

On a closing note, despite the above I am happy in EY but I'd be happier if the new F/O's flying with me felt the same.

Jet II
24th Aug 2008, 16:32
Compared to flag carriers, the pay is poor.

compared to the old legacy carriers it probably is - but how many are hiring?

Most of the guys I know who are newly qualified are flying for the LCC's and their pay is dire.

saviboy
24th Aug 2008, 21:32
As it was written above by Jet II, what are the chances of getting this US major Captain job nowadays or even in the near future. All the US major carriers are overwhelmed with legacy costs and have been outsourcing all the flying they can to the regional airlines. Even if you get hired by a US major airline, what kind of job stability can you be provided with?
How long will it take to upgrade to this 200k USD position? how many rounds of furloughs will you have to go through before you can feel the left seat under your butt?
during all these years, you will be an F/O, and as you know the payscales are far from being impressive. Actually Etihad's payscales for F/O's blows away most F/O payscales in the US. with or without housing. Nevermind a US LCC.

"Compared to flag carriers, the pay is poor. But they say its "Tax Free". Well it isn't. "

You didn t really explain how the salary is not "tax free" I am curious to see how it is not. Obviously, you could not be talking about how citizens from certain countries get taxed above a certain threshold (around 87k USD for USA). Companies could not possibly be held responsible for tax systems in other countries.

"Lets take a US Capt. on a widebody. I am guessing his pay would be close to US 200,000. Maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more. His company PAYS that much, yes the government takes some away, but that is still what the airline is paying for his services"

Are you certain that Delta, American,etc.... would still be paying 200K if they were in a tax free environment? I am not sure either way but nothing tells you they would. Regardless it does not matter. What matters is how much money you get in your bank each month.

Payscales are determined according to the law of supply and demand. When there will be a surplus of pilots in the Gulf, you will see the salaries decrease, just like it did in the US. Until then the payscales will stay the same as long they can get pilots to man their ships.

frankbama
25th Aug 2008, 03:48
Saviboy well written. If your in the US you know what he says is true, If your not here you have no idea how crappy it has gotten. Good luck finding a US airline paying that kind of money. Just ask a United guy what they are down to and US airlines aren't done cutting yet. The down side is all these pilots will keep the pay in the ME around the same rate unless these boards scare the yanks away and they won't move to the sand pit.

Chandler Bing
25th Aug 2008, 05:39
Well, accomodation isn't the only issue.

A330, A340 and B777 rosters are out and the A320 guys have a roster valid for 24 hours ony in the best case.
These guys have no life, fly like crazy and face poor planning operation and erratic training.
We are forced into Mussafah crapound and we are supposed to be proactive, on time etc
No way !!!!!
High burn off, no cooperation , no customer minded attitude and no tie !!!!

F:mad:k o:mad:f

Best job in the area; I doubt it, I will refresh my B737 rating and go next door.

Bale

shortfuel
25th Aug 2008, 06:16
:= As for A320 F/O's, roster is getting more and more stable. Am sorry I can't let you spread wrong facts. We do have enough drawback here not to invent new ones. I didn't fly like crazy for the last 6 months...an average of 53 hours...and I have absolutely no connection whatsoever inside the company.

And salary IS tax free.

UAE Fact of the day: filling up your car: about 25 USD.

Togalk
25th Aug 2008, 16:03
Funny how you all made comments about the pay and nothing else. That is why nothing will ever change here. Pilots are their own worst enemies. Fine, you were all warned. So come on over, and then don't bitch about ANTHING!

FlyingCroc
25th Aug 2008, 16:26
That is the question. I think most of us are here because we had too at some stage because there was no alternative. The pay is not good but also not bad, you can save some money but you will not get rich. You will get a good valuable type-rating on an Airbus or Boeing and fly on an interesting network all over the World, seeing things you would otherwise never see.
But there is also a big price to pay as an expat here, you are not welcome here by locals, you are at best a well paid laborer, social life is mostly limited to expat community, the Gulf Cities including Dubai are rather boring, uncultured and only consumer (shopping) oriented. Furthermore it is unbearable hot, humid and dusty and worst is the traffic which is absolutly dangerous. Specially if you have kids this place is only for a few years and is not a place to spend your career.

long-gonner
25th Aug 2008, 21:19
Does Etihad provide transportation to and from the airport for the start and end of trips?

What are the A320 schedules like? Same day trips or multi day trips? Where are the overnights?

What is temporary housing like? Do they pay for meals while in temp housing?

Thanks for any info....

EY346Driver
25th Aug 2008, 23:30
Togalk, not all of us talked about pay.

shortfuel
26th Aug 2008, 09:18
To long-gonner:

-Not for flight crew.
-Both; layovers in BAH, AMM, DAM, TRV.
-Like hotels or hotel-apartments.
-...Why would they?..No.

long-gonner
28th Aug 2008, 01:01
Thanks for the info shortfuel.

How is the parking at the airport? Is there a bus to the terminal? Is the parking covered like in a garage? Not a big deal, just curious.

What is the report time before start of a trip?

How are the guys you fly with on the A320? Good crews?

Thanks.

Jet II
28th Aug 2008, 06:33
You park in the airport car park directly in front of the Terminal - some is covered some not. About a 5 min walk to crew reporting.

shortfuel
28th Aug 2008, 07:57
Report Time for flight crew:
STD-75 min : A320
STD-90 min : A330/340, B777

Guys are relaxed and pro on A320.

fractional
28th Aug 2008, 09:16
Cayenne,
... but only because it is the law, not because they want to...

Come alone, ..........................................., send ALL your money overseas, don't get any loans (except car) or credit cards, and be prepared to leave instantly.
None of these Airlines have to, really. You could have kids attending a local school now, but obviously none of us, other than arabic native speakers, would like to.
Buying a car won't make you leave soon unless you want to lose loads of . Rent (lease) a car to start with and check things out during 6 or 12 months.
On the remainder of your stuff you wrote, I completely agree with you regardless of the company one works for. There will be those with a different opinion, but those will be few versus the universe of individuals affected, and I congratulate them for being able to negotiate better deals than most of us.

NG_Kaptain
28th Aug 2008, 09:31
someone wanted to take the allowance and buy something will they give you the full amount? In the road shows they tell you that they only have apartments right now. I keep reading they are lying, if they aren't giving apartments what are they giving? If they are giving apartments what are they lying about. We are thinking of going over also but I too must say all this is a little scary. Thanks

You receive the full allowance and do as you wish, I subsidized mine as I came out with only a suitcase so didn't bring anything with me.
Housing availability is very fluid so if they tell you only apartments now I wouldn't doubt them. Guys who joined before me had to live in hotels for over six months then housing came on stream, I moved into an apartment almost right away then villas became available shortly after. Chose not to change as apartment living in the city is more attractive to me than villas near the airport, max driving time from my unit is 40 minutes.
There is so much hiring going on that housing is a mess, you might be lucky and arrive as new housing comes on stream or you might have to stay in a hotel for six months, the hotels are similar to the suite hotels in the States, a bedroom, small living area and small kitchen, ok for a single or a couple but too small if you have kids.
When I joined roster changed from day to day but as the fleet became established it became stable, only changes I get now is available days always turn into standby, suppose the 320 will get stable with time.
Etihad is not a US legacy carrier so don't expect legacy captain pay, some posters had valid comments on that issue.

main15
28th Aug 2008, 14:09
Hi guys, i just wondered if anybody could tell me what the GCAA minimum eyesight requirements are- somebody told me cabin crew has been increased to the same as flight deck?? I am having a problem with my medical and because its the weekend now and the clinic is closed I cant contact them to ask this information and you guys seem to know your stuff. I used to fly with a neighbouring airline and my eyes were ok but UAE appears to be a bit tougher. Thanks

EY346Driver
28th Aug 2008, 14:45
As far as I know, they accept crew with glasses provided what you have is correctable with the glasses. But best to ask the clinic.
Cheers

frankbama
28th Aug 2008, 17:01
NG Kaptain, Thank for the info. as far as US pay trust me they don't pay what people seem to think. All the cut's in the US industry are taking it's toll. Unless you are lucky enough to fly for Fed Ex.

Rumours everywhere
29th Aug 2008, 12:19
Can anyone tell me what the current time to transfer as a Captain from the 320 to the 330/340 fleet is? Or indeed, if they do it, from the 320 to the 777.

Many thanks...

shortfuel
29th Aug 2008, 12:30
320->330/340: didn't happen so far, still counting...

320->777: I can't see it happening anytime soon...but who knows...

JGerke
29th Aug 2008, 13:19
Hey everyone, I just finished the first stage assessment for the cadet program am awaiting to see if I have succeeded through to the second round. I have recently been monitoring this thread and am amazed by all of the negative issues being brought up working here... as for the accomodations issue, I have read a news release speaking of the "Abraj Towers" being built and scheduled to open in February with a first phase of 100 apartments. I found this link with an artists rendering and they look quite nice... what is everybody's opinion on these, and how the situation will be going into the near future??

United Arab Emirates Up (http://www.unitedarabemirates-up.com/videos.php)

open link and then click on the "Abu Dhabi - Abraj Towers" video....

heavyjet340
31st Aug 2008, 00:18
well is it gonna open or we all gonna live in the sandstorms of abu dhabi???

DenizD
31st Aug 2008, 00:28
Wait heavyjet340 do you work for EY or EK and do you flythe A340? If so, ow did you get a job in the US flying an A340? Or do you fly a Saab 340 that you wish would turn into a heavy jet?

heavyjet340
31st Aug 2008, 04:30
nah, just came up with the name...flew the 717,727,737 and a319/320.

sweet chariot
31st Aug 2008, 14:25
Moved into Abraj Towers in June! The front of the complex is fully occupied at the moment but the rear is still a construction site so at the moment looks nothing like the video!
I was told by the building manager that there would apparently be water features when finished which should be next year some time! En shallah!!
As for the front apartments they are all spacious 1 or two bedroomed, large open plan kitchen and 1 or 2 bathrooms! In all fairness very nice!:ok:

BDD
31st Aug 2008, 14:39
Any more 777's on the way? If so, when and how many?

Thank's

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 17:00
Five 777 on property with ten ordered plus one simulator.

BDD
31st Aug 2008, 17:13
Thank's NG. Do you know when the 10 777's start to come online?

DenizD
31st Aug 2008, 17:46
2013,don't hold me to it. I was told that Emirates is taking all the T7's that come off the line, theres also gonna be 35, 787's

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 17:52
They will start arriving in 2011 and finish in 2020. Was hoping they were sooner (and more).

JGerke
31st Aug 2008, 18:10
Awesome, thanks for the update sweet chariot - that is good to know. That shows to me that it seems as if they truly are working towards a viable housing solution for their employee's! I would be happy to be there, they do look quite nice! :ok:

BDD
31st Aug 2008, 18:22
Thank's NG

heavyjet340
1st Sep 2008, 01:55
I was told they exercised some of their purchase rights...beyond those that are firm...anyone know?

Sky Dancer
1st Sep 2008, 10:26
Hi ...I might have a possible call for Capt.. position at EY on the 320s...I'd appreciate an honest opinion of the airline in terms of work environment , pay , roster and life in AD....thanks

cantilever
1st Sep 2008, 11:11
So much has been said/written on the subject, Im sure a bit of a search should answer most questions.

Yani Yani
2nd Sep 2008, 10:55
http://www.airarabia.com/documents/aa_capt_package.pdf

saviboy
3rd Sep 2008, 02:22
"I was told they exercised some of their purchase rights...beyond those that are firm...anyone know? "

We were told 117 firm orders at the Miami Roadshow last week

fractional
4th Sep 2008, 17:44
At a certain point of this thread Posters were speaking of the isolation of Mohammed Bin Zayed City. The local government seems to have major plans for teh area even if they will be commissioned in 10 years or everyone moved to a "cheaper" location. Here is one of the plans: The National Newspaper (http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080830/ONLINESPECIAL/235070200/9999).

reptile
10th Sep 2008, 06:00
What is the situation regarding schooling?

I have a ten year old son and would appreciate some information regarding the availability and quality of schools in the area.

Thanx

Laker
19th Sep 2008, 03:59
Somebody mentioned something about sharing hotel rooms???????! Does Etihad force you to share your hotel room on a layover? This must be a joke!

Jetjock330
19th Sep 2008, 07:08
Laker, it's not a joke, but it must mentioned as well, that the total time in the hotel is about 1 hour 50 minutes and it is call time again. This room sharing applies to cabin crew, unless you in favor of the co-pilot! Maximum time in the hotel on this one, is less than 3 hours. It's a split duty flight to Delhi, India. A lot of the time, some of the crew visit family and friends in Delhi. Some of the crew prefer to remain on board the aircraft, watching movies, resting for longer than traveling to the hotel. It either all go to the hotel, or all stay on board. If you're running late, the crew prefer to remain on board.

Toubob
20th Sep 2008, 10:15
JetJock. Review your FTL's and the OMA. You can not legally complete a split duty day with less than 3 hours rest in the hotel. Time spent travelling back and forth and your 30 minutes post flight and 1 hr preflight can't count.
DEL must be 4 hrs 30 minutes minimum block to block plus travel time to the hotel to give you 30 minutes rest. Don't accept any less.

Jetjock330
20th Sep 2008, 13:39
Toubob, you are indeed correct, reality might be within minutes of 3 hours, and it is 1:15 sign on at out of base station.

Sweptt
20th Sep 2008, 16:35
Guys,

a little off topic but I recently applied for the B777 FO position and got an email saying I wasn't shortlisted. "feel free to apply for other opportunties".

I do meet thier min requirments (2200 CRJ time, 6500 total)

Is it worth applying for A320 FO. Is a type rating required for Etihad.

Anyone cares to reply.

Thank you.

supermd11
20th Sep 2008, 21:14
Hey guys, I'm a A340 Typed Capt. 17,000+ TT and 8000+ pic time on jets, 5000+ EFIS "but" just 300Hrs PIC time on the A340, Am I wasting my time applying Etihad or I have a chance? Thanks for the imputs.:}

noflare
21st Sep 2008, 10:46
Rumours are that the DEC recruitment will slow down/stop, or at least that what was said at the recent staff roadshows!
You will probably only get F/O consideration, if that suits you then contact them

John60
21st Sep 2008, 14:15
Dear noflare, we are and we will be accepting DECs on 320 and 340. A320 upgrades have been suspended indefinitely with only DECs to fill the slots. We might see a few A330 upgrades Q1 2009 subject to availability of A340 DECs on the market. The only rumor is all Captains will be qualified to fly from the right seat.

PilotPille
21st Sep 2008, 15:02
Good afternoon,

applied this morning as an FO 777 and just now got an email back that I am not shortlisted because my qualifications do not match...
I got 4800TT with 4300 on B737NG and TRI Rating. Does anybody know what kind of qualification is needed to be shortlisted?

Greetings

Jetjock330
21st Sep 2008, 15:11
How much wide body time do you have? Reading between the lines, possibly nil. The B737 time counts towards your total time, but right now, you probably classed as non type rated, which would mean you don't fit the immediate requirements.

Just hold out for a while is all I can suggest. I think F/O's have more priority for now.

PilotPille
21st Sep 2008, 15:30
Thanks Jetlock...so I´ll just stay put until they are looking for non type-rated F/O´s again ;)

cu

Stratosphere6000
21st Sep 2008, 17:08
Dear noflare, we are and we will be accepting DECs on 320 and 340. A320 upgrades have been suspended indefinitely with only DECs to fill the slots. We might see a few A330 upgrades Q1 2009 subject to availability of A340 DECs on the market. The only rumor is all Captains will be qualified to fly from the right seat.

John60 is that your statement or are you quoting someone?

John60
21st Sep 2008, 19:21
Dear Stratosphere, I wish it was just my statement but it's not. I don't like it either but this is how it is.

Jumbo Wambo
21st Sep 2008, 20:28
So where and when was this statement made? And by whom?

Chandler Bing
22nd Sep 2008, 15:19
Since when do you believe in these guys ?

Since when did they say anything that became true ?

They are lying more than any UAE real estate broker

If you trust them, good for you, but anyone who did in the last 2 years came back with empty promises.....

kamaciwa
23rd Sep 2008, 18:15
Regarding the 320, upgrades were never supposed to happen but due to lack of DEC applicants, RH was forced to upgrade a few to avoid canceling any flights. They now have lots of DEC applications.

I really doubt so. With 30 airlines down the drain in the last 14 months alone, the applications should be coming in like spams.

cantilever
24th Sep 2008, 19:29
The vast majority of us who are not in the Al Jazeera building have taken the decision to join clubs...:ugh:

long-gonner
24th Sep 2008, 19:41
So, what exactly is the problem in the Al Jazeera building and the "club"? Do the Cabin people not want the pilots around or something??

Could someone please comment on the housing for the single pilots with no familes? I'm just wondering if they come equipped with basic appliances like stoves, refridgerators, washer/dryer, and dishwasher? Thanks for any info/insight.

noflare
26th Sep 2008, 18:19
Those folks concerned about DEC, it was again confirmed (by RH) at the Pilots meeting on thursday that the DEC recruitment had finished.
Upgrades would come from within EY.
He did mention that a few guys who already had firm offers would start between now and Jan 09...but no new DECs are anticipated.
I believe the previously interviewed DECs are in a holding pool just incase they are needed.

CanadaRocks
26th Sep 2008, 20:34
Was there any talk about annual leave tickets being confirmed in business/pearl at the pilot meeting?

noflare
27th Sep 2008, 13:31
No! I dont remember it being mentioned at all....just lots of talk about pilot fatigue, a/c delivery dates and an extra 777 coming next year.

shneidertrophy
27th Sep 2008, 15:20
Guys,

sorry to be the party pooper here but use your common sense please.

EY has 100+ airplanes on order and at the moment you allready have an FO shortage. Do you really think all upgrades can/will be done from the inside?
Forget it!

DEC will be needed for many years to come. Sure, internal upgrades will continue/increase but it is impossible to go without an influx of DEC!

Same thing happened/is happening at QR. Same promisses where made, same **** we are in!

cantilever
27th Sep 2008, 19:00
The EY order is spread over many years, there are many qualified F/Os in the company so by doing the numbers I think any DEC recruitment will be minimal.

There is a F/O shortage? :eek: on which fleet?

VARIG737
11th Oct 2008, 21:47
Any ex QR around??? I need to know the REAL differences between EY and Qr.....PM if possible.

rgds