PDA

View Full Version : Vista & Internet Browsing

HandyAndy
30th Apr 2008, 04:17
Folks

I had to replace my trusty XP laptop with a new one in a hurry when I was last in UK and had to succumb to a Vista unit. It is a Asus unit and it seems o be a good buy - 200gb HD/15.4"WXGA/Duo CPU/2gb memory.

During the first week of use (when back at home base and using my setup which worked flawlessly with my other system), whilst browsing the internet, I was getting the problem of first visit to a page displaying 404 error. It didn't matter which site, it was any site. Reload the page and it would display fine. It wasn't that it was slow loading, I was just getting that error.

Searching for a possible cause and remedy I found this page (http://www.chapterzero.co.uk/articles/windows-vista-slow-network-issues.aspx). It shows a way to disable the auto-tuning feature of Vista through a command prompt.

I had read about the auto-tuning feature which means one cannot tweak the connection settings/tcpip etc., so I though it was worth a try. There is a command for re-enabling the feature so if it went wrong, I could always go back.

Lo and behold it does seem to have fixed my problem. I haven't had one error loading a page so far. Maybe I am having a good day or maybe just wishful thinking, but it does seem to have worked.

If anyone else is having a Vista network related problem such as mine, it is worth looking at this.

edited to add that the command prompt must be run as administrator"" otherwise you will get an elevation error.

HA