PDA

View Full Version : NZCAA exam credits

Norwester
30th Apr 2008, 03:43
According to the CAA website, it is no longer possible to sit CPL theory exams as a substitute for the PPL exams. Have I misunderstood this?

www.caa.govt.nz/Publications/Vector/Vector_Articles/Exam_credits.pdf (http://www.caa.govt.nz/Publications/Vector/Vector_Articles/Exam_credits.pdf)

Why is this? Surely a CPL theory topic is more in-depth than at PPL and should be considered good enough if a pass at CPL can be attained?

empacher48
30th Apr 2008, 04:30
Yeah, that is true. I think it stops the old loophole where a student could technically sit all their ATPLs and use those credits for PPL and CPL.

The way the exams are set out, the PPL exams test the basic knowledge, plus some CPL theory, the CPL exams cover some (but not all) of the PPL knowledge and some ATPL theory. By the time you sit your ATPLs they don't test the stuff you learned at PPL level.

Plus the theory credits you earn expire if you don't sit your licence so many years after you get your credit, then you have to resit them. So if you're of the old school and paid your own way through your CPL, sitting your CPL exams for your PPL, might mean they expire before you get the chance to sit your CPL flight test. But that is happening less and less now with fully integrated Student Loan funded schools. :(

HardCorePawn
1st May 2008, 22:11
Yeah, that is true. I think it stops the old loophole where they dont get as much money from you if you only do the CPL exams, instead of PPL+CPL

There... fixed that for you...

empacher48
2nd May 2008, 02:08
There... fixed that for you...

Thanks, I thought I had mis-typed something in there, but wasn't sure what it was..:p