PDA

View Full Version : DATALINK- SITA or ARINC

globallocal
29th Apr 2008, 23:11
Anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of each.
Just about to change our flight planning service provider, so in conjunction might change our datalink to SITA so receive greater coverage.

Any info will be great.

GL

His dudeness
30th Apr 2008, 18:15
I flew a Challi 300 mid 2006 to mid 2007 which had a Arinc contract. I now fly a C680 with GDC contract which is using (to my knowledge) SITAīs network...

With the Challi we quite often had no datalink connection, especially true for eastern parts of europe, Russia etc. But also in Europe there was quite often just no connection. We had the COM 3 replaced, but that didnīt help.

On the Sovereign its way better. But, apart from the delivery flight, I have been flying only in Europe and eastern Europe and east to Ufa and Alma Aty. I found the coverage way better.

globallocal
30th Apr 2008, 23:26
Thanks "dude"

How are you finding GDC. We are having troubles with them and looking to change shortly. Hence the question about datalink.
We do a lot if Int on a Global and we only use the datalink for flt plan down loads, ATIS and clearence.
We are currently on ARINC and it cost a pretty penny when you have VHF no com, which we find most days. So your character bill adds up when your flying Europe to Asia and back 1 to 2 times a month.

thanks again
GL

amorski
28th May 2008, 03:43
Hi Gents!!!

I would appreciate if somebody can help me with this:
I work in small company having three business jets and we are planning to use programm for flight plan calculating...
Which one would you advise to use for our situation?
Thank you in advanse!!!

crjlover
28th May 2008, 17:26
I can suggest you which one not to use: SITA, still waiting a replay from their helpdesk since 2 days.

His dudeness
29th May 2008, 13:53
gl: sorry for replying so late, overlooked your question: I like GDC - we use it for WX/Winds, and the odd fax to the secretary about ETAs. I uplinked flightplans a few times, but don^t do it anymore because it really does not safe so much efforts IMO.

2000dude
29th May 2008, 16:26
If you are an ARINC customer Europe can get a bit expensive. Especially if you do not turn off the VHF. $500/month before you send your 1st message. SAT is still a better deal because of this.

If you spend most of your time in the US, ARINC is much better deal financially. GDC has not built up enough of a SITA (VHF)network and they use ARINC (VHF) frequencies. Because of this, GDC is not able to offer the pricing that ARINC does.

sooty615
29th May 2008, 20:40
I am interested in this thread as I shortly have to decide on which subscriptions to take out in respect of ACARS and WX on a new aircraft being delivered this year.

For ops in USA XM WX seems an unbeatable deal at $50 a month for CONUS coverage of live WX feeds, TAF's, METARS, Winds, Echo Tops etc, but what about in Europe?

As there are no Graphical WX live feed providers in Europe or the rest of the world (unless I am mistaken), which is the next best option?

Apart from graphical WX, TAF's METARS, Winds Aloft etc would be nice, and so would text messaging to and from the aircraft. We have a sat phone, so no other fancy comms are required, and we have NO NEED to receive/upload flight plans, so I would welcome any suggestions from those more familiar with the service providors.

Also, anyone here have any knowledge about the Proline 21 "Paperless Cockpit" - and seeking operational approval for Part 91 ops?l

Thanks in anticipation, Sooty

Miles Magister
2nd Jun 2008, 15:05
Guys,

When specing your service do not miss this http://www.eurocontrol.int/link2000/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html

Airbus and Boeing have both now declared their radios as compliant so they are out there.

Regards

MM