PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove Programs

Keygrip
29th Apr 2008, 15:28
I'm wandering around the "Control Panel" on an old PC (XP Pro) and decided to kill off as much as possible of the humongous amount of crap that I've loaded over the years.

I stumbled across the Java software. I have "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update" numbers 2, 4, 6, 9 and 10 - each one averaging 118MB - plus a "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06" at another 108MB.

Also got Java(TM) 6 Update numbers 2, 3 and 5 - and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

Can any of these be deleted without upsetting their family and friends?

The Flying Pram
29th Apr 2008, 15:36
Version 6, Update 5 is the latest. If you've got that installed anything earlier is a waste of space. I found, like you, that new versions don't delete the earlier ones and just keep cluttering the hard drive.

The Flying Pram
29th Apr 2008, 15:41
Version 6, Update 5 is the latest. If you've got that installed anything earlier is a waste of space. I found, like you, that new versions don't delete the earlier ones and just keep cluttering the hard drive.
My "Add or Remove Programmes" shows " Java(TM)6 Update 5", and this works O.K.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Apr 2008, 15:43
Who knows?

Each Java release has its own set of bugs and security holes, and particular applications that you have installed in the machine might insist on using a particular version.

You can certainly delete them all except the latest and see what happens, and you'll quite possibly be OK, but it's also possible that some Java application or other will misbehave as you'll be trying to run them against a version that the programmer had never heard of.

Keygrip
29th Apr 2008, 15:57
Thanks for the speedy replies.

I'll go and remove all the older stuff (see what happens, lol).

I'm chopping the machine down completely and, once I've transferred all my documents, photo's, etc, will use it as a dedicated internet audio streamer (internet radio station, "squeakstream") running just an operating system and "SAM4 Broadcaster" from www.spacialaudio.com (http://www.spacialaudio.com)

Trialling now on http://s4.secondstreams.com: 8430 (delete the space inbetween the com: and the 84) but need to look into licensing for copyright and performing rights (USA based).

*Might* try streaming video from it too, but not sure it's up to it - only 512mb RAM supporting a 700MB P1 processor.

Tarq57
30th Apr 2008, 01:26
Both Java and Adobe flash player, installed in many many computers, don't uninstall when updated, making simple updating beyond the average user.
As indicated, the presence of an old version of either alongside a new version doesn't necessarily remove any exposures to vulnerabilities in the old version/s.
Recommended procedure is to uninstall the old prior to installing the new. Adobe provide an uninstaller for just this purpose. I've found it necessary to install new versions in both IE and FF, if I want them in both.

OP, check out CCleaner for cleanup of old unnecessary items. Be careful not to tick every box prior to running it, though!

Slasher
30th Apr 2008, 03:39
Each JRE update has a README.txt that in part says this -

You should ensure that your installation procedure does not
overwrite existing JRE installations, as they may be required
by other applications.

Keygrip tell us what happened after you deleted the previus
JREs. Id like to ditch the total of 400mb meself.

Jamongris
30th Apr 2008, 05:30
It's actually quite important to delete old Java versions, and better to do it via the windows control panel (add remove programs) or via CC cleaner than using Java uninstall.

The problem with leaving them, apart from the use of space, is that they leave your computer open to the sorts of malware that many of the updates were supposed to deal with.

The best routine is to download the latest version (frmo the Java website), save it but not install it, remove the old versions, then install the latest.

Keygrip
30th Apr 2008, 11:45
Slasher - I deleted all but the Version 6 update 5 (through control panel).

The machine is working just fine, *HOWEVER* the only thing I run on it just now is the radio stream - and SAM is not a java app (as far as I can see).

Tarq57 and Jamongris - I will get to running (C)CCleaner (when I find out where it is and how many letter C's it begins with). I noticed yesterday, after deleting all those java updates, that I still have 46 processes running.

Jamongris
30th Apr 2008, 14:27
Here's a link to CC cleaner

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

I've also used its registry cleaner and cleaned up startup files with it.

Tarq57
1st May 2008, 02:37
46 processes may be a little excessive, but it's not unusual. Once you've sorted the current maintenance issues, you could go into msconfig, select the startup tab, and disable everything you don't need to run at startup.
As to how to know what should run or not, that's another story, but generally all security applications should run, anything else is usually down to user preference.
FWIW I have 36 processes running, and 6 out of 13 startup items listed ticked.

The Flying Pram
1st May 2008, 22:13
This site (http://www.optimizingpc.com/optimize/windowsservices.html) has some information about startup and running services.

henry crun
2nd May 2008, 00:06
I also read this thread and thought great, I can get rid of all those other various version of Java that are cluttering up the HD.

Went to their web site and started downloading version 6 update 5, following all the prompts.

Installation appeared to be going normally until I got to the "Copying New Files" in the window titled Java Setup Progress.
After downloading less than a quarter of the required files it stopped and will not go any further. I have tried three times with same result.

Has anyone a suggestion why this has happened and how I can complete the download ?

Tarq57
2nd May 2008, 00:18
The Java site is confusing, to me, anyway. So many versions, functions etc...
Confirm you are trying to download from this page? (http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp)
If so, and the problem remains, try clearing your browser cache and try again.

henry crun
2nd May 2008, 04:20
Tarq57: Yes, that is the page I used.

I did as you suggested, cleared the cache and tried again but it still stops at the same point. :ugh:

Tarq57
2nd May 2008, 05:17
Ah. Well. Don't really know.
Possibly browser settings are interfering with it, or maybe one of your security softwares. Or it could be a "try again later" sort of thing, but I doubt that.
Check the browser security and advanced settings for the internet zone you find yourself in at the download page, is all I can suggest. No doubt someone will know better what to do. If there is no reply, start a new thread.