PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Coastal Aviation Tanzania

GoForIt
29th Apr 2008, 13:15
Anyone have any direct experience with Coastal Aviation in Tanzania (C208 pax operation)? I seem to have an offer there, but the details are sparse.

Do they treat their guys good?
What are the schedules like?
Is the equipment in good shape?
What kind of accommodation is provided for expats?

GoForIt

VortexGen300
29th Apr 2008, 14:18
Hi

Several threads on PPrune - look at the bottom of the page. Does not seem too bad - sounds quite an operation.

But I have no personal experience.

VG300

bond7
30th Apr 2008, 00:25
Look for Mukosha threads...He knows much about this place...good luck!!

flyhardmo
30th Apr 2008, 02:45
Answers
1: No
2: late. Very hectic with min turn around times and lots of overnights.
3: Not bad. Planes haven't had many incidents
4: have they offered it.

Soapbox cowboy will fill you in on the details when PW gives him 5 mins off his busy schedule. :E

Vialengai
30th Apr 2008, 06:12
Flyhardmo has some "previous"! They are not bad as a company. Very hard work. If you can crack the right deal for you, it is good. If you have over 3500 hrs the pay is good. Good Luck. Mo would tell you to look to Arusha!!

406pilot
30th Apr 2008, 09:11
hola

wht busy schedule is soapbox cowboy on? he is still on very much glued to the ground

via lengai is tht the guy from hanger 14?

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Soap Box Cowboy
30th Apr 2008, 17:39
Ah yes PW is going great, pity the pay sucks otherwise I wouldn't mind sitting on my ass.

Right Coastal....

Looking at nightstops three to four times a week, at least one Zanzibar, and one Arusha/Ruaha a week. Which is also a nice way to get round and meet the other bush freaks flying out here.

The pay is not bad, make sure you get accomidation included and nowadays you should be able to get a ticket home too.

You will build plenty of turbine time fast. I was doing about 1000 hours in ten months chock to chock.

So good place to build time, fly in the bush. But might be a bit stressfull for anyone with a family.

Planes are alright, the vans are tough little beasties. Great to work with. Since most of the time we fly VFR it's not too bad. No major problems because of a very intensive training regime that ensures pilots are usually accompanied for 140 hours on the aircraft before release. I think that has been one of the major factors in reducing the number of incidents we have had there compared to other companies.

Good luck :ok:

cpt hamna sheeda
2nd May 2008, 16:17
Just curious, are cpt Aziz and cpt Riwa still flying for Coastal?

B737 lover
4th May 2008, 06:46
Hi cpt hamna sheeda,
Capt. Aziz is still a chief pilot of Coastal, very nice guy indeed, and Capt Riwa is still there as well as a training Captain but just by name because there is another training Captain who is doing all the training for Coastal.
Capt Riwa is about to retire from Coastal.
Cheers!
Aka Benz lover.

Soap Box Cowboy
4th May 2008, 18:19
Riwa is retiring? No way when?

Lovely guy to work and fly with, will be sad to see him go :(

cpt hamna sheeda
4th May 2008, 19:32
Totally agree on that:ok:

B737 lover
5th May 2008, 08:19
Soap box cowboy, you of all people should know that maximum age for Coastal's insurance to fly as a SINGLE pilot is 60 years, Capt. R. is reaching 60 in December this year, unless there will be an alteration to that.... eg. to become a full time instructor like the famous existing training Captain for Coastal.
TCAA has increased the maximum retirement age up to 65 years, i hope that the rest of the insurance companies will do the same thing soon.
Aka benz lover.

406pilot
5th May 2008, 18:03
hola'

totally agree he is a great guy to fly with, i also had the pleasure to fly with him a few years ago...why doesnt he join air tanzania on the 737 fleet ?where the minimum age for joining is 60yrs + ...ha ha ha only expressing my stolen command disgust here, couldnt resist

no more 406pilot

B737 lover
8th May 2008, 09:39
Afterall he has a B732 rating, so its going to be a straight in like the other retard Skippers. By the way one of the retard's skippers is in trouble with the Management because he is too slow. Hahaha!
Aka benz lover!

406pilot
8th May 2008, 15:36
hola'

slow u said ? send him to the navy fleet....its soon gonna be another home for the rejects, thats all i can say after i saw the next intake of commander's for the boats.........soap box cowboy's sim pal is on tht list.

no more 406pilot

B737 lover
23rd May 2008, 12:26
Soapbox cowboy you can still come back to Coastal, its not too late you know. Afterall the high season is around the corner and you know how it is!
Ha ha ha........
Aka Benz lover!

hjmemon
23rd May 2008, 16:59
hi there,
I have 910 hrs total with FAA CPL/IR single and multi along with CFI CFII and MEI.
Also have pakistani CPL/IR.
Anybody have contact details for Coastal where i can send in my resume.
And if any of you guys know, where is Capt Aziz from and what is his full name.
Thanks in advance

Soap Box Cowboy
23rd May 2008, 17:34
Haha Anna told me I could not come back, so went to Mwanza instead whilst I'm waiting, earning twice the money training their new guy on a new Van. :E

Was at the airport the other day, Nuru was telling me they are in need of pilots, still keen, but not sure if I'm still on the insurance. I'm hoping PW's promise of "next week" is the last one I will hear :hmm:

Really not keen on flying a van anymore, but do miss the fun to be had in the Bush.

I miss checking the fields for animals, Quadra ped or otherwise. And off course the money. :{

406pilot
23rd May 2008, 22:54
hola'

people please address your coastal pm/querries to soapbox cowboy and b737 lover they are former employee's and will be able to give you the pro's and cons of flying for that company...on a more serious note please bear in mind that we are in africa, therefore "if you cant handle the heat then get out of the kitchen"....otherwise please dont confuse my name with flying those super sturdy but slow van's, i quite proudly flew the fastest machine in GA at that time:ok:

no more 406pilot

ps:all guys doing their ir renewals with me in c208's please dont:= tell me ur "slowing down" before reaching the beacon...ur already slow:ugh:, appropriate term would be "reducing speed"..ha ha ha

samjetblaster
24th May 2008, 11:03
Hola 406 PILOT,
You seemed to be well informed of what is going on with this company and the Ugandan watching this site,etc..Are sure you don't know where Mr slick has vanished to?How many people has he conned?:confused:

Got the horn
25th May 2008, 08:04
Are they the mob advertising for pilots on the australian AFAP jobsite?

Soap Box Cowboy
25th May 2008, 10:46
What is AFAP?

SamAustralia
25th May 2008, 12:48
Google AFAP and you will see

RadioSaigon
2nd Jun 2008, 23:15
the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (http://www.afap.org.au/html/s01_home/home.asp?dsb=9). Don't know whats so hard about giving a straight answer to that simple query for some...

Is anyone able to give any indication of what pay rates are currently for CA please? Tax? Further, is it likely they would go for a "tour of duty" contract employee? I'm a Kiwi, hold both NZ & Oz CPL, around 1500tt, 700-odd multi, lots of mountain experience. I've made application for CA about 2 weeks ago, but heard nothing to date. Other interests mean I would prefer a tour contract -something like 4-5 months in-country, 1 month off if possible.

What's Dar like to live in? Cost of living? Would really appreciate any info available!

reaz
17th Jun 2008, 16:46
Soap Box Cowboy

Is it possible to live with family at Tanzania, while working for Coastal? Do you have any idea about the schooling there?

Thanks for your kind response.

Reaz

Soap Box Cowboy
17th Jun 2008, 22:50
Descent housing and education is expensive in Dar did a calculation once, if I had two kids in junior high, it would have been cheaper for me to hire a flat in the middle east, driver, car and live in nany, than sending them to schoolin Dar, but you never know there might be other options.

Broderii
7th Jul 2008, 09:43
Reaz,

Housing is expensive in Dar and getting more so by the day, there is a real demand for rented properties especially by Expats working for big organisations who are being asked and can afford to pay over the odds. Asking for a full years rent in advance is now common place in the family housing market. In my view there is only one school worth considering...the International School whose Headmistress is a very competant American. For very good reasons pay and conditions at Coastal best suite single people so I would suggest your wife would need to look at working fulltime....but getting her a Work Permit would be a story. Cost of living for a family in decent housing with kids at the Int School works out at about US$4k pm then you need to think about a vehicle fuel food etc. Water for most Dar residences needs to be brought in by water tanker and although the electricity supply has much improved you would need to make sure any rpoperty rented has a functioning generator.

Other than that life in Dar can be really good and flying with Coastal interesting. By my standards they are a good outfit, with well maintained Caravans and compared to other operators some pretty sound revenue streams.

Go for it!

VinaV
7th Jul 2008, 17:41
Dont really know what their operation is like - but I do know the Chief Pilot who will check you out personally!