PDA

View Full Version : average academics

DFLY
29th Apr 2008, 11:45
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before but i was just woundering what the average qualications of somebody enrolling on OAT's integrated course is? I know they say that they only want GCSE's grade C or better? is this the case or do the majority of the students there have degree's etc? I only ask because i am wanting to take the assesment in the near future and only have GCSE's myself, all at grade C and a B in English and i have 2 A levels which im ashamed to say are grade E. Is there anybody out there with similar qualifcations to me who has been successful at the skills assesment and the APP course or am i living in a dream world thining i can enroll on a integrated course with these qualications.

Thanks

Lew747
30th Apr 2008, 20:15
Hey,

I can only assume (and this comes from knowing various people and research) that a great deal of candidates who enroll at places such as OAT have all exceeded the minimum entry criteria and in most cases there are a string of people apply with A* and A's at GCSE and A's and B's at A-Level. Obviously people who meet the minimum requirements will be looked at, however at the end of the day the company is free to choose who it wants on their course and they would prefer higher academics who have probably achieved stupidly high results!

Don't take my word for it though!...'Cos im younger than you :p...and have near similar results:rolleyes:

DFLY
30th Apr 2008, 20:38
Thanks for the reply LEW747, I have been in the armed forces as an aircraft mechanic for the past 4 years would this count towards anything? Where are you looking at training?

n90bar
30th Apr 2008, 21:08
DFLY

My understanding is that OAT look at the grades only for initially deciding to offer you a place on the assessment. Having done the APP course myself I can't really recall a time where any of peers school grades etc were scrutinised. Without me sounding too negative, it might be wise to consider though if you have the mental capacity to complete the ATPL theory though - its one hell of a mountain of work in a fairly short time.
I would also add that most airline applications ask for school history and grades - I'm not too sure how closely they would look at these in deciding to offer you an interview or not. Uf I were you, give OAT a ring and speak with one of their training advisers - I am sure they will be very happy to discuss it with you!
I would say perhaps half of my class (17 of us initially) had degrees, and the rest I think, including myself all had A Levels or equivalent.

Good Luck!

isi3000
1st May 2008, 09:15
Well they do only specifically ask for GCSEs so I would assume you would be fine :)