PDA

View Full Version : V Australia is coming to town

ZQN
29th Apr 2008, 08:44
I'm told that the V recruiters will be in Dubai next week (6,7 and 8th) interviewing. Does anyone know if these are walk in interviews or invited only? Is it just for trainers?

I can't believe they would have that much interest from our Oz friends to require 3 days of interviews. Perhaps there is a bunch of 457 visas on offer.

TangoUniform
29th Apr 2008, 08:53
Very very smart move on V's part to do it next week. Why? After the huge pay raise and profit share are announced sometime this week, many Ozzies just might look at their options. Ya think?:ok:

Asianlonghaul
29th Apr 2008, 09:45
Any info on what Hotel they will be using for the interviews?
Many thanks

Rabbitwear
29th Apr 2008, 09:59
Apparently the guys have already been invited and had to email a return with preferred date and time. I would guess they could do 15 a day so around 45 and some are line captains.

flyboylipad
29th Apr 2008, 10:12
wHAT ARE V's REQUIREMENTS?

TangoUniform
29th Apr 2008, 10:25
The main one is that you have to believe that REAL aviation only exists in the land of OZ, and that all things related to aviation started and only managed correctly in OZ (except CAT III approaches). And that only the R/T procedures done by the OZ are the correct ones. :O:E Only kidding girls, but? (Ok, Ok it is a windup, relax, where's that well known Ozzie give a sh## attitude the rest of the world believes?)

BCF Breath
29th Apr 2008, 11:41
It's for the 777s, because they haven't been able to get many from down under. One (Ozzie) chap on the panel was crossing off those who crossed the line way back in late 80's or early 90's.....:ugh:

But I'll do some digging for info...

gehenna
29th Apr 2008, 12:08
Looks like guys on reserve may be called out!

Good luck to those who attend - maybe a wake-up call to EK.

TangoUniform
29th Apr 2008, 13:09
A lot of "please press 2" and eye problems on that day. "Can't see me doing that trip!"

Also looks like Air India is doing some recruiting here in the land of gold, with basings in Europe and the U.S. Knock, knock EK:ugh: You are not the only player with shiney new big jets.

bluepacific
29th Apr 2008, 14:24
Many will talk the talk but not many will walk the walk.
:cool:
BP

confirm-finals?
29th Apr 2008, 15:42
Although salary has not yet been finalised you can expect a salary range between $45,000 - $60,000 per annum*. This is a total salary and includes superannuation and incentive payments. Cruise Relief First Officer salary will be in two bands, with your level of experience determining your banding.

Hmm.... interesting! I can't see a plane load of EK pilots heading back to OZ for that!

Fox3snapshot
29th Apr 2008, 18:51
You are full off crap, but nice try! :zzz:

woodja51
29th Apr 2008, 19:19
Interviews start 6-8th at Aussie Legends/Rydges at 0745 with interview and stuff like group exercises... etc

They mention that cafes are around Satwa to have lunch so guess it is not provided??

Just as well we can use the EPC discount at legends for some beers and ribs!

But I will be there to give it a shot... Go webber!!!

Woodj

Fox3snapshot
29th Apr 2008, 19:58
Ahhh Woodja me ol mukka! I knew there would be someone up there with their head screwed on....especially when it comes down to a free lunch! :ok:

Wave and smile boyz, wave and smile....:cool:

c560xl
29th Apr 2008, 21:10
Hi Guys ,

I m interested. enough of this so called GOLD LAND.
Give me the details I will try. I have got day off on 6th & 7th.

Cheers:O

Wizofoz
30th Apr 2008, 02:29
You are full off crap, but nice try!

Fox,

Are you sure about that? No one on "the list" got a look in at Virgin Blue or, for that matter, Emirates for a long time.

Sal-e
30th Apr 2008, 04:35
Leave a truly global airline to fly domestic in Australia? They have got to be joking! Unless of course the money is right.

Wiley
30th Apr 2008, 04:37
Mate of mine who's done the interview in Oz said they specifically asked him if he had any problems working with someone on 'the list'. Their clearly stated opinion was: it's water a very long way under the bridge and anyone wanting to work for them should adopt a similar outlook.

At the wages they're said to be offering, I don't think they'll knock back anyone who's willing to take the job, whatever list he may or may not be on.

I'd be guessing there'll be quite a large number of people turning up for the interview in Dubai, particularly if the "prophet" (liked that) share is another 4 week slap in the face we're all half expecting. However, if they get more than a handful who eventually 'walk the walk' from EK, it will (or should) be a very stark wakeup call for EK that people are willing to walk from EK (or more specifically, Dubai) even for considerably less money than EK are offering.

If EK offered basings or even rosters that could be written around days off at a remote port, I'd be guessing Voz would get very few starters and even lose some of those who've already resigned from EK.

Quokka
30th Apr 2008, 11:04
I don't think they need CatIII approaches down in aus because the weather isn't as constantly rubbish as we regularly enjoy in Europe. Are you complaining because they have standards there and expect people to adhere to them?

Perth, the most isolated Capital City in the world... and when it fogs in, it's as blind an approach as anywhere else on the planet. Fog is fog... and when it's un-forecast fog it's a long, long way from the nearest suitable alternate for quite a few aircraft types that have been in the air for quite a few hours and running on vapour... it can only end in... :{

Ask the crews that have come very close to making Australian aviation history...

Sheikh Your Bootie
30th Apr 2008, 11:13
There was a Qantas 767 i think that had to to a f**k it we are landing Autoland in Perth, and bust their landing minima, due to poor planning and no options. I read it somewhere last year, official report. They most certainly do get pea soupers in WA mates.

SyB :zzz:

a380megacamel
30th Apr 2008, 11:13
I guess that the V team are now going to have a job tempting 777 drivers away from one of the most profitable international airlines that has just give its staff a 14 week bonus.

ZQN
30th Apr 2008, 17:12
Yes indeed. The '14 week' feel good factor is going to take a while to wear off so V may now not get as many as they had hoped to poach.

120,000 dhs should get me a new pair of rose coloured RayBans, boob job for the Mrs, upgrade to the 4x4....... life in Dubai starting to look good again!

BCF Breath
2nd May 2008, 17:35
Ideally V Australia Flight Crew will have the following experience:

Captain
8,000 hours total flying time.
4,000 hours on jet aircraft in excess of 40,000 kgs.
3,000 hours in command of multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft in excess of 40,000 kgs.
Current ICAO ATPL, command multi-engine instrument rating and class one medical.
B777 type rating desirable.
Wide body, long haul experience desirable.
English Language fluency (written and verbal comprehension).
Demonstrated experience in a leadership capacity.
An ability to communicate effectively in a dynamic operational environment.
The desire to learn and grow.

Senior First Officer
4,000 hours total flying time.
2,000 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft experience in excess of 40,000 kgs.
Current ICAO ATPL, command multi-engine instrument rating and class one medical.
B777 type rating desirable.
Wide body, long haul experience desirable.
English language fluency (written and verbal comprehension).
Demonstrated experience in a leadership capacity.

First Officer (Cruise Relief Co-Pilot)
1,000 hours fixed wing experience (turbine experience desirable).
500 hours on multi-engine aircraft.
Current ICAO ATPL, or an Australian CPL with passes in all ATPL theory subjects.
Command multi-engine instrument rating and class one medical.
English Language fluency (written and verbal comprehension).
An ability to work collaboratively within a team of professionals.

Andu
2nd May 2008, 20:05
I was rather surprised to hear the names of some of the starters for lunch at Aussie Legends next week and how many admitted to going. 3 days of interviews, even if every pilot being interviewed isn't from EK, most will be, and we're talking a lot of pilots.

If even one on four of those who turn up for the interview decide to walk the walk, EK will have a crisis on their hands, and very soon - like before the end of the year. They'll have to re-address their policy on basings (or park some aeroplanes over on the fence by the 707), 'coz that's the point nearly every one I spoke to made to me. They're willing to take a major hit in the pocket to get their families out of the madhouse Dubai has become, but they'd stay if A.A.R. or T.C. would agree to them flying a roster with some pairings starting and finishing in Australia.

It's going to happen eventually, but probably not before they've lost too many of the kind of people they should be doing everything they can to keep with their current expansion plans.

GMDS
3rd May 2008, 05:47
Dream on, i'm sorry to say. It would be opening up a pandoras box. If Aussies get it, Europeans just as Americans will ask for it -- a never ending story. They'd rather fill their empty seats with prop drivers from all over the place than give any basing, such is their paranoia of losing control and a couple of dirhams in Dubai that will be spent elsewhere. The hugely increased training cost is hidden somewhere else and compensated by a few weeks less on our future bonus.
This years bonus will keep a nice rosy cloud over many newbees, until they get next years tiny one (cyclic) on top of 12% inflation. But then they have already signed, are still in temporary accomodation, the family still waiting back home with the appartement cost killing the budget.
If with these conditions you speculate on a basing to come, i think VA would be the better option, even financially on the long run. And your risk of divorce or your kids beeing badly influenced by the abysmal mentality around the sandpit is greatly reduced. And these things cost heaploads of money, believe me .......
Go for the interview, i'll try anyway, but make your decision once EK gives the new T&Cs. It will be the moment of truth. If HH pretends to know about our eroding package, then he has to deliver.
The bonus was great, thanks, - allthough we put the money in the box beforehand with our crap rosters, it's only a payback, - they intelligently withheld the box and if things had turned up a little worse, they would have kept it for themselves. We just got our input back with a teeny extra. But we now have to see at least the official inflation (11+%), + 3% contractual increase, + 16% on education (official cap) and 20% on housing (estimated rent increase) or else HH was paying lipservice and EK demonstrates that they accept a bigger profit for them and at the same time accept, fully aware, that our net income decreases. That would be a yellow light!

only about two more weeks and we'll see

Wizofoz
3rd May 2008, 06:33
They'd rather fill their empty seats with prop drivers from all over the place than give any basing,

That's not the problem they're facing, GMDS. There are sufficient (though not plentiful!!) qualified applicants. What there isn't is capacity to train them. With the system at full speed, they still can't train enough people just to keep up with the aircraft orders. If anyone leaves, that's one more place they cant train fast enough to fill, and that's how it will be for the next several years.

Retention, rather than recruitment, will become the critical factor in the next year or so, so EK just might start coming up with some "inovative" ways of persuading people to stay.

nolimitholdem
3rd May 2008, 07:00
Bang on Wiz. Recruitment is not retention. The former has never (well rarely) been an issue at EK. The latter will become increasingly so. It's all very well to rub hands with glee at the glut of US applicants, but when you can't train or house them....? Add in the "Dubai factor" that will kick in for them, hard, after a few months...no, getting them in the door isn't the issue. That's what all the smoke and mirrors is for.

I'm not Oz but if I was, I would be looking at places like V as "Australia first, T&C's second"...

GMDS
3rd May 2008, 08:18
That's not the problem they're facing, GMDS. There are sufficient (though not plentiful!!) qualified applicants. What there isn't is capacity to train them

Wiz

I apologize to all prop drivers. It's not that i think they couldn't do the job. It's just: Give a average Joe 18 instead of 4 wheels and he will need an awful lot of training and exercise to master it.
You state that there are plentiful of qualified applicants. Well, there we disagree. With qualified i mean that they can be handed off online with simply a conversion, be it type or sops. This is barely sufficient with the mostly RJ experienced freshmen we get. They are not bad aviators, but out of their league for a (too) long time, until they build up experience on heavies with swept wings. Energy management problems all over (same goes for many DECs).

Retention, rather than recruitment, will become the critical factor in the next year or so, so EK just might start coming up with some "inovative" ways of persuading people to stay

Spot on! This will cause some heavy pain to a number of our mismanagement desk astronauts because their retention happened somewhere else up to now .....

Payscale
3rd May 2008, 15:19
GMDS - what aircraft has 4 wheels? :O

bobsback
3rd May 2008, 15:35
The Harrier GR3 had 5! :D

GMDS
3rd May 2008, 16:12
Payscale

Talking about the average Joe, I chose a analogy: I thought about the more common 2 dimensions. Joe mainly moves 4 wheels but his cousin drives a 18 wheeler.

BCF Breath
3rd May 2008, 19:21
Fox3snapshot
You, my friend, do not know the whole story! :=
If you know someone IN VOZ then ask them.
I was totally shocked, but not too suprised. Disappointed more likely. And sorry for those guys that missed out because of this one guy (who I believe has since been replaced with a chap from Sth Africa).

Sheikh your Bootie
Those pax were lucky there was a TrgCap down the back or they were going to ditch off the coast! Aren't there sharks there..?

Wizofoz
3rd May 2008, 19:30
Those pax were lucky there was a TrgCap down the back or they were going to ditch off the coast!

'Fraid that one is an urban myth that's been doing the round for decades!!.

The two instances in the last three years of QF having to go below minima in Perth have been handled OK, if you allow for the fact that they were allowed to blunder into Perth with no alternate by the (stoopid!!) Aussie rules!!

Andu
4th May 2008, 04:54
'Fraid that one is an urban myth that's been doing the round for decadesWell Wiz, I for one remember hearing about that particular 'urban myth' a whole 24 hours after it (didn't????) happen.

2dotsright
4th May 2008, 05:02
Hey fellas, Emirates isn't the ONLY airline in the world that has 777 pilots for hire so don't kid yourselves. V has been to Hong Kong, all around Aus plus anywhere else they want to. If they don't fill the slots (which I very much doubt having interviewed about 3 pilots for every vacancy) , then they will probably offer the slots to the American pilots that they have phoned on the 1st round of interviews. There are PLENTY of 777 pilots to fill these slots and I'd put money on them having more than enough after this round of interviews.
Good luck to the blokes who really want the job...... 2dots

Wizofoz
4th May 2008, 05:22
Well Wiz, I for one remember hearing about that particular 'urban myth' a whole 24 hours after it (didn't????) happen.

I'm specifically talking about the alleged incident where a Qantas skipper was apparently planning to ditch as Perth had fog, till a (Ansett Captain? QF Training Captain? Overseas Captain? I heard several versions) sent a message up suggesting an autoland.

I first heard it around 1987, and it was old then. Is that when you heard it did(n't) happen?

cuberoute
4th May 2008, 10:35
Just had a phone call from someone regarding these Dubai Interviews.He is a late runner with no feedback from the V Australia web site .
Have they finished in Dubai ?
Is it too late to contact them ?
Is there a contact number at all that I can pass on ?
Cheers.
and Thanks :O

flyhigh88
4th May 2008, 15:04
There are tons of 777 drivers from singapore and malaysia.Emirates will fill them up and these guys do not complain about currency problem.

silverdart
5th May 2008, 05:28
Has anyone got a number to ring for an interview with VA ?:confused:

EGGW
5th May 2008, 05:42
flyhigh88

I just flew with a Malaysian F/O who will be tendering his resignation from EK soon, as he is finding everything expensive in DXB, no surprise there then. Much better standard of living in Malaysia was his comment.

EGGW

TinDriver
5th May 2008, 05:52
I have just (28/04/08) sent an email back to VA declining the offer of an interview (cruise f/o) due to lack of $ on offer. $45 to $60 AUD......:ugh:

I did, in my reply, say I would be keen for a direct f/o position on a suitable salary, and was surprised to hear back within 24 hrs.

Bond applies for 3 yrs as I read the small print, but the $ on offer..........:mad:

emilio69
5th May 2008, 13:20
flyhigh88.... yea right... why dont you try and get hold of the ek seniority list and have a look for the past 2 years where the ek pilots are coming from... it will be a pleasant surprise..and i can tell you that they are definitely not coming from that region..

flyhigh88
5th May 2008, 18:27
well emilio69, would anyone from a first class airline with first class management like singapore airlines would consider? a company who take care of us with descent bonus and layover hours?you must be kidding.look at the ULR with 24 hours layover,trading my health and die faster.Anyway,Asian run airline are always the best hence being the world most profitable airline in the world.Fleet is expanding like crazy too and who dont want to work for the best and No.1

2dotsright
6th May 2008, 10:42
Hey flyhi88, regarding your statement
"Anyway,Asian run airline are always the best '
Wow, I just had to say something about that. That is a VERY broad statement and shows that you don't know much about many "Asian" airlines. I'm just thinking about places like Asiana but much worse, many of the Indonesian carriers, aren't they Asian>>>??
I rest my case

emilio69
6th May 2008, 12:03
flyhigh88..let me be direct...the guys from that region are not clamouring to come here as long as the dirham's value continues to fall and the cost of living continues to rise.Almost all the nationalities here are feeling the pinch of the declining dirham.

Bart Simson
6th May 2008, 18:55
Mullah, the story about the autoland is true check the atsb website it may be there. Big Q also had to do a autoland into SYD below minima not to long ago. coz company says it's not required if the weatherman says it's ok