View Full Version : Chances for a foreign pilot to get a working permit in the US

mb321
28th Apr 2008, 18:05
Hello, I think that my question fits in this forum so I'll try.

As a commercial pilot with only 300 hours is that possible to find an employer in the US that will be willing to issue a working visa for me?

If not, is that possible to find an employer that will be willing to hire me and issue a working visa for me in Europe?

Thanks for the help.

Bealzebub
28th Apr 2008, 18:33
On what basis ?

Do you have some special skill or qualification that is in recognised short supply in those countries ?

low hour commercial pilots fall out of any tree you care to shake in most of Europe and North America. It is the high hour and experienced type rated pilots that may be in short supply.

An employer cannot issue a work visa (permit), only a countries immigration authorities can do that. An employer can approach that office and make an application for the issue of work permits, but unless they can show a genuine need exists that cannot be adequately satisfied by existing labour supply, then such a request would not be very likely granted. Indeed such a request would be pointless.

mb321
28th Apr 2008, 20:00
I see... So that means that there is no chance for me at all to work as a pilot in the US or in Europe.

Adios
28th Apr 2008, 21:20
It means no such thing. It means that it could be impossible, not that it is.

You will simply need to find your own legal way to get leave to remain. All countries have entry programmes of various sorts. None are easy to qualify for. In the UK, Google the "Highly skilled migrant entry programme."

mb321
29th Apr 2008, 12:56
You have no idea how hard it is to get an HSMP work permit in the UK. In order to get an HSMP I need 75 points and its impossible for me right now.
I have no idea what I'm going to do..

mb321
1st May 2008, 12:01
A work permit in the US/Europe - I won't get.
Working here I can't since all the pilots are ex-millitary.
I will try to get an Europian Passport since my grandparents born in Europe. Hope everything will work out.

pablo2973
5th May 2008, 17:45
Hi there I´m writting you from Spain, I also studied in USA but sometime ago , I have spanish passport and I can assure you that ,what you are trying to do its almost imposible , thousands and thousands of pilots would do that straight away if they had any chance , the only way you can get a permit would be via annual lottery ( which I dont know if you qualify) or marrying a US citizen .
Lots of luck

avieh7
6th May 2008, 15:06
it sounds as if yu are from Israel...
(so do I..)

mb321
6th May 2008, 16:46
Yes Pablo, I understand what you are saying. But maybe its possible to get a job with a work permit somewhere else abroad. I don't care to work almost anywhere.

Yes, I am from Israel. Are you a pilot? who do you fly for?