PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilot shortage in SA

Black Pearl
28th Apr 2008, 17:34
Speaking to some of the guys at Comair, many of their pilots are leaving for Emirates and Cathay? I also hear that some of the 1time time pilots are not particularly happy either and are looking for opportunities internationally or even at SAA? What effect is this having on their operation? If it is not having a direct effect on their operation now, how long can the airlines continue before the experience level dries up? Already Comair are leasing foreign crews on the 738’s! How many guys are leaving for political reasons or better opportunities overseas, or a combination of both?

Propellerpilot
28th Apr 2008, 18:00
Looks to me that in a couple of years aviation in the SADC will turn into a pure bush-operation due to lack of personell and brain-drain, the non-maintainance of infrastructure and the fall of first-world values. (i.e. Mugabeland). A few guys willing to endure will get their chance - those that can sell themselves to better operations will do so, widening the gap.

In general - situation is turning for the better for us low-timers... which is great. Just depends on how you see it.

JTrain
29th Apr 2008, 18:50
Agree with PropellerPilot.

The job market is swinging in favor of the pilots. There's just so many opportunities worldwide, and with the myriad of issues South Africa as a nation faces, many of my peers are opting to leave. Can not blame them one bit. I've got several applications out. You'll find good numbers of Springboks in the pilot rosters of Emirates, Cathay, Gulf Air, in Australia, NZ, etc.

spoon1
30th Apr 2008, 09:15
I like the current situation regarding crew, its always nice to have a option here and there....BUT with the Nationwide chaos running at the moment, how much of those pilots will go to comair, 1time ect....Airline crew filled again for the next year.... perhaps?Can anyone tell me how many pilots does nationwide employ...?