PDA

View Full Version : Thielert Insolvency

Ayla
28th Apr 2008, 16:49
With Thielert the DA 40/42 engine manufacturer filing for insolvency yesterday, there must be a lot of worried flight schools who are using them. The Thielert is very dependent on the manufacturer for servicing.

What impact on training are the DA40/42 Flight Schools expecting?

bajadj
28th Apr 2008, 17:55
oh bum!

This isn't good news, I don't want to do my IR in a seneca!!

Rugbyears
28th Apr 2008, 20:15
Sign of the times I’m afraid - There have been rumours of this happening for a while now, still comes as a bit of a shock. although, I am led to believe there has been a great deal of interest in the company

moggiee
28th Apr 2008, 22:31
I doubt that there will be any long term problem - someone will buy up the assets and ensure supply (my money is on Diamond picking up the pieces).

B2N2
29th Apr 2008, 02:16
Either Diamond or Cessna, one of the two...but my money is on Diamond, could be a cheap buy.

Zone 2 Alt
29th Apr 2008, 04:07
Aren't Diamond developing an engine themselves with Mercedes. I doubt they would be interested in buying Thielert especially with the legal cases which brought about their insolvency.

moggiee
29th Apr 2008, 07:58
The Diamond engine will take many, many months to reach the market - and was intended as an alternative to the Thielert (to reduce costs). It's also rumoured to be heavy and under performing.

If you can pick up a ready made, certified unit immediately, why waste money developing an in-house unit? Think how much certification effort would be required, compared to the ready certified Thielert units.

pilotpaul
29th Apr 2008, 14:32
As a training operator that uses primarily Thielert engines, maintains them and jointly is responsible for leasing a large amount of the aircraft fitted with Thielert engines has personally made my week!!!

Couldn't be better news as far as I’m concerned!

Ayla
29th Apr 2008, 16:40
Pilot Paul, is this because you expect more work your way, will Thielert in insolvency not have an effect on spares or support?