PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing or Chopper for Kakadu flight?

flyforfun
28th Apr 2008, 12:00
Hi all,

Am off to Darwin later this week for a well earned (in my opinion anyway!!!) break. Will be heading across to Jabiru and we are told a flight over Kakadu is a must. I would be interested in opinions as to whether anyone who has done this feels fixed wing or helicopter is the best option. I haven't looked into the possibility of hiring an fixed wing myself, so we (2 of us) will do one of the local operators suggested routes as pax.
All suggestions (geez that could have been a brave statement on here!!!) :ok: gratefully accepted.

FFF

Lasiorhinus
28th Apr 2008, 12:34
Aeroplane.

Its cheaper.

Plus, you get to see more of the park than you would in a helicopter.

I dont like your chances of hiring a fixed wing, unless you hire the whole aeroplane to which it is fixed, as well. The flying school in Darwin might be your best bet for one of them.

troppont
28th Apr 2008, 23:38
I can safely say that fixed wing is the way to go. There are a couple of operators out of Darwin that do the flight with a stop over at Yellow Water for a cruise on the Wetlands. Try Barrier or Ausjet. They also have flights to Katherine and Heli Flights into the Gorge. I think the going price for Kakadu is approx $400 and Katherine approx $550 thereabouts Ex-Dn. Kakadu should still be good with water flowing over the waterfalls. Be prepared for bumps in the lee side of the escarpment and smoke haze from the dumbasses burning off all over the place.

Did about 25-30 Kakadu & 5 Katherine scenics last year.

TroppoNT

morno
29th Apr 2008, 01:00
Definitely try the fixed wing scenic with Kakadu Air. Bob has lived in Kakadu probably longer than anyone else around there (indigenous bretheren excepted) and with the CD commentary that you receive for the entirety of the flight, you'll learn a lot about the area and have a great time as well.

morno

Pedota
29th Apr 2008, 03:00
I recommend hiring a plane and doing it yourself – a one day flight is just about right.

A couple of years again I hired an aircraft and flew out to Kakadu with my wife and another couple. We went direct to Cooinda for a look around and then out to Jim Jim and Twin Falls, north along the escapement to Jabiru for lunch.

In the afternoon we continued north and then coastal back to Darwin.

It was a marvellous flight in every respect – you get a good overview of the area and can easily enter Arnhem Land.

I would also recommend taking a car out there again and staying a night – and doing all the normal spots like Ubirr, Nourlangie and Yellow Waters.

And don’t forget Litchfield Park . . . it too has some special attractions.

Cheers

flyforfun
29th Apr 2008, 08:14
:ok:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like fixed wing it is, will get in touch with Kakadu
Air.

Pedota:
We will be going down to Katherine and then back up to Darwin via Litchfield.

maxgrad
29th Apr 2008, 09:16
Wokawoka scenics over the Gorge are the way to go. All seem to be good operators. Don't know the cost.

PM me if you need more info

Stormynights
29th Apr 2008, 09:29
can recommend Kakadu Air
awesome pilots great flights
might be biased as i fly for them ...lol
195 for hours flght around the falls

havick
29th Apr 2008, 09:42
I'm a chopper driver and as much as I hate to say it, go the fixed wing as you'll cover much more ground and get better bang for your buck..

Howard Hughes
29th Apr 2008, 11:09
Did about 25-30 Kakadu & 5 Katherine scenics last year.
Amateur!;)

By the way the 'Dumbasses' burning off are National Parks, and the controlled 'cold burning' prevents the entire park from going up! If you are going to conduct scenics in the area, at least learn a little about what you are trying to show people...:rolleyes:

Stationair8
29th Apr 2008, 13:02
Go with Kakadu Bob in the mighty C207!!!

Take in the sunset at Ubbir Rock just don't forget to take the mossie repellant.

troppont
8th May 2008, 08:37
HH,
I take it you have not flown late afternoon/evening back to Darwin from Kakadu with a setting sun. Great Territory VFR I highly reccomend it. With a clapped out 30yr old plane and even older instruments very hard to show your pax some of the area as it is all white smoke. The dumbasses that I refered to are the ones that started the burn off 3 weeks ago while the ground was/is still moist.

Howard Hughes
8th May 2008, 08:50
HH,
I take it you have not flown late afternoon/evening back to Darwin from Kakadu with a setting sun.
Then you would be WRONG!:rolleyes:
With a clapped out 30yr old plane and even older instruments very hard to show your pax some of the area as it is all white smoke.
There are ways around it, go further North, go further South, get down low, explain why the setting sun looks 'purple' to your passengers. I for one enjoyed the dry seaon during my time in Darwin and enjoyed showing it to those who had paid to see it, both the wet and the dry have their own unique attractions...:ok:

PS: Make the smoke part of your tour, learn something about it and pass it onto your passengers, you would be surprised how interested people are in park management!

Hasselhof
9th May 2008, 00:06
I dont like your chances of hiring a fixed wing, unless you hire the whole aeroplane to which it is fixed, as well. The flying school in Darwin might be your best bet for one of them.

I'd love to do that but although the flying school has aircraft, it doesn't have any instructors and as a result I've been told I can't hire one as there isn't anyone to do a flight check with me. :rolleyes:

flyforfun
9th May 2008, 13:27
Well we are back from Darwin and did we have a ball, what a great part of Aus.
Weather was 32 - 34 and blue sky all day every day, for the week. Friendly people, great pubs, interesting history and beautiful scenery.

After much consideration we decided on a late afternoon 45 min helicopter (R44) flight with Kakadu Air ($340 each). I have nearly 400 hours fixed wing and have never sat in a chopper, so that did have a bit to do with the decision.

If you read this, thanks again Paul, (and I have a couple of pics you may like to see) my wife and I had an absolute ball on the flight.

The maneuverability of a helicopter made it possible to see features from all perspectives, and really opened my eyes up to their capabilities. So much so that the better half even suggested she would support me if I decided to start conversion training!!!!!

This was my first introduction to the paid scenic flight world, but I can only highly recommend Kakadu Air. The reception staff were friendly, the chopper well presented, the pilot was friendly (oh and the few coldies and chat we had at the caravan park after was great), all made for a great time and was well worth the money.