PDA

View Full Version : Location for class 1 medical

twhite1
28th Apr 2008, 11:47
I am at the stage of nearly completing my ppl and my a levels. I am considering flight school however, a class 1 is needed. The opticions and my class 2 medical picked up on a slight colour defect with my eyes, resulting in a restricted ppl. My 1st question is can i have a class 1 standard eye check to save me the money of a whole class 1 just incase i fail the eye test then i only have to pay for the class 1 eye test or do i have to pay for the entire medical? and secondly, i am so desperate to become a pilot. Can i take the class 1 medical outside the UK where i believe things are not as strict? If so, say i passed the medical in another country, would this be approved by the CAA?

I would be greatful for some advice on my issue

99jolegg
28th Apr 2008, 12:34
As for the first question, I went to the CAA website, printed off their criterion to pass their eye exam and went to Vision Express and asked the optometrist if I met those criteria before the exam. She read through them briefly and said no problems. I had no problem in the Class 1 exam at Gatwick.

Print this and take it to an optometrist:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2189

Not sure about the second question.

Good luck.

Shunter
28th Apr 2008, 13:01
If you've got a colour problem I suggest you read the Collective Colour Blindness thread. It's rather large, you can't miss it.

All JAA countries use the same Ishihara test for initial colour screening (the book of dots, I'm sure you know the one). If you fail that there are currently 4 "lantern tests" you can take. Not all are available in the UK. Knowing how these tests operate is a large factor in being able to pass them, and the thread I mentioned has lots of detail on this. I myself had a similar problem and it took me years to get the restriction removed.