PDA

View Full Version : Whats invloved in the JAA Class 1 renewal

sensible2k4
28th Apr 2008, 11:41
Hi guys, its time i got my class 1 renewed, just wondering what tests they do at this? just so i know what to expect. I passed my initial with flying colours, but i always seem to get nervous at the doctors, even if i'm just visitng someone in hospital :O

So hopefully, if i know what to expect i might not get as nervous this time:)

AMEandPPL
28th Apr 2008, 11:53
just wondering what tests they do at this?

Precise answer depends on your age, and when your initial was done.
However, to me it sounds as if you are fairly young, and I'm reading this as being your first renewal after your initial at Gatwick last year.

In which case you will need ONLY the "routine renewal medical" - no ECG, no audio, no special visual tests, no blood tests (apart from finger prick for haemoglobin), no CXR, no EEG etc etc.

The routine renewal is 1. check for any changes in personal data (address, phone, employer etc) 2. check for any changes in medical history since last time 3. basic examination, ie height, weight, urine, vision, ophthalmoscopy, ENT area, BP, pulse, heart and lungs, feel abdomen, and reflexes.

There you go. Simple, innit ?

sensible2k4
28th Apr 2008, 11:58
thanks for the quick reply :)
"ophthalmoscopy" thats just looking inside your eye?

hopefully i wont get nervous! feel such an idiot. but as soon as i walk in the door my heart starts beating faster and faster lol.

AMEandPPL
28th Apr 2008, 12:12
"ophthalmoscopy" thats just looking inside your eye?

Yes ! Good luck !

Neilshields
17th Jul 2008, 16:44
Hi guys, the class 1 renewal sounds much more straight forward than the initial which is good.

Could someone just give me an idea how to go about renewal, do you contact the CAA and they send you to a local AME or do you contact the AME dirrect?

Cheers

Neil

RJC
17th Jul 2008, 18:44
Toodle off to Medical Examiners Database Search | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=65&appid=21) and find the best one for your location.

Book yourself in, up to a month before I think. There is a form you need to fill out and take with you on the CAA website too... Documents for Download | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=7099) look for the Med160 ones under JAA. One is the form, the other the guidance notes on what to put where.

Don't forget your old cert, logbook, forma as above and cheque book.

{Third edit to correct typo, I'm sure my eyesight was OK earlier in the week at my renewal!}