PDA

View Full Version : DESC Student Sponsorship

scottwarnick
28th Apr 2008, 06:58
I've seen this sponsorship for students. I'm studying avionics and wondered what your thoughts were?

http://www.desg.mod.uk/studentops/desgsponsorship.shtml

scottwarnick
30th Apr 2008, 10:48
Come on lads not one opinion?

Sonic Bam
30th Apr 2008, 20:04
My your an impatient one, aren't you.

I don't have any experience of the MOD DESC scheme but do have experience of setting up industrial placements and recruiting students in to them.

The IP scheme is invaluable to students IMHO. You are receiving real work place experience that will help you decide what you want to do with your career, get your foot in the door with an organisation/company to showcase yourself, get good experience to put on your CV and work on a project that again should help you at interview/selection.

All the above is dependant on both you and the employer.

You have to put the work in, watch and listen to the people around you, want to learn and contribute and not act like a prima donna. This is the real world, not school.

From the employer, they have to give you meaningful work to do and mentor you in the project you take on.

Selection of the project is important to both you and the employer - it needs to be something you can get your teeth into, something that challenges you to learn and something that delivers measureable benefits to the organisation. Get something lke that on your CV and you are on the road to a job at the end of your degree.

The MOD seem to be offering placements in a variety of directorates. Make sure you can get into the one that does what you are interested in. No point going into procurement if you want to do research work.

Money wise, £1,500 whilst studying then £14,500 p.a. pro-rata for your placements looks like a good deal to me. No commitment to them at the end of you degree either.

If you are not intending going travelling in the summer or get home sick, this looks like a pretty good deal to me.

scottwarnick
5th May 2008, 15:43
Thanks Sonic I appreciate your advice. I was tempted to serve the three years for the £4000 financial assistance but I have a little time to do some research and see what my prospects will be like after I graduate. Ideally I'd like to go straight into an airline however with a lack of real world experience that may be a problem. I've been advised that the MOD pay is really7 crap and committing to them for three years may be a problem. However you can buy your way out by repaying that bursary so as far as I'm concerned its a possible interest free loan. I'll have to check the details on that to be sure first though.

Genghis the Engineer
7th May 2008, 16:59
I was sponsored by them through University a few decades ago and so far as I know the scheme hasn't changed much.

I'm stupidly busy right now, but will try and come back and say something useful in a few days.

The short summary however is "go for it, it's a great start to a career".

G

scottwarnick
7th May 2008, 21:59
Thanks mate I'd really like to hear about your experiences.

I served 3 years in the Army when I was younger. Is it similar to the military way of life or are you apart from all of that? Is there a lot of fitness involved?