PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my project

SparksFlyHigh
27th Apr 2008, 23:13
I have this project to complete for my aeronautical engineering course at college but i need some help with an idea of what to do for the project.

Basically, i have to choose an area in which i can improve/make a modification of an existing part/section/function of an aircraft.

The trouble i am having is that since i started my ppl and further aviation study, i cant think of anything that i can personally do that will be a useful modification.

To give you an idea, other people in the class (with little aviation knowledge) have chosen such things as window wipers and early warning systems for missiles.

So please help me think of something to do for this project, preferably a useful modification that can be done to a PA-28 or 152 for example, remembering that i need something i can work with and write a formal report on.

Hope you guys can help me out here and throw me some useful ideas.

Cheers

Sparks.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
27th Apr 2008, 23:39
Both those examples already exist on other aircraft. So if you're wanting an imporvement to a PA-28 or 152, why not look at the kind of things on top-end biz jets or modern airliners, and think about applying them to a small prop. Some examples:

Enhanced Vision Systems
Ice detection/Anti-ice
FMSs and the like (incl GPS)
FADEC(!)
Cellphone capability

v6g
27th Apr 2008, 23:42
Cupholders ... you can never have too many cupholders.

(noted that you're doing your homework very late on a Sunday night - some things never change)

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 01:15
:ok:It was actually due in about 4 weeks ago but i was involved in a car accident so hasnt been in my top priorities. Certainly lower than "surviving".

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 01:17
Ah, now these are brilliant ideas thank you!

I need to do some research and development first but i will probably pick one of those that you have suggested. Just got to make sure its something i can research and find enough information about first :rolleyes:

Keygrip
28th Apr 2008, 03:10
Is that how you will solve all tasks given to you in your education and career?

Get somebody else to solve them for you?

>^..^<

jb2_86_uk
28th Apr 2008, 07:45
How about a lightweight system for an 'auto-pushback' feature

This could make ground-ops much smoother and faster, and do away with those (enviromentally) dirty tugs.

The project could be expanded beyond the actual system to include items such as rear facing cameras for the pilots to view and maybe even a ground TCAS???

Just an idea anyway!

JB

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 09:23
Keygrip.

Oh i didnt realise someone was going to actually complete my whole project on here. I thought i was just at the initial idea gathering stage where i can research existing products on the market and potential areas for improvment and development.

What better way than to ask the people that actually use them everyday?

Rugbyears
28th Apr 2008, 09:50
Keygrip – isn’t this research, SparksFlyHigh is using his initiative, merely enquiring of plausible ideas. I recall most airlines provide questionnaires prior to vacating the aircraft, which they then use to investigate what could be improved, alternatively, how to make the journey more comfortable and so on….where’s the difference..? :confused:

Over the past month, I have been observant to a noticeable increase of hostile post in a variety of threads – I’m unsure of the reason for this, I recall as a youngster, my late grandmother regularly commented “If you don’t have any thing nice to say, refrain from saying anything..!”….Very true.:O

Prophead
28th Apr 2008, 10:07
I agree, im sure you will also be marked on the research you have undertaken and i would say going to a pilots forum and asking them their opinion is good work.:ok:

My neighbour parks his caravan by means of a radio control. This controls motors on the wheels and lets him reverse it into his driveway whils walking round it. Im not sure whether this is already available for aircraft but ive always thought it would be good.

Alternatively an anti-ice system that uses the rear window strips could possibly be adapted to run along the wings.

Good luck with it though and keep us all posted.

LOHANG
28th Apr 2008, 10:15
Hi

You have probably already completed your project but here's one especially as I am learning in a 152 @ EGNM.

Keep it simple;

I always worry about tailstrike in the aircraft especially as the winds at Leeds can be variable, due to the geographical location of the runway.

So maybe a tailstrike wheel would be a good idea, bit like they used to have on concorde.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akEMMVrAlDc

Happy days

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 10:20
Prophead, appriciate the ideas, still obviously deciding on what to do but i will let you know when i have.

I was thinking the same thing with the research, thought this was the best place to come. I have already been sitting in G-BPTE trying to think of things but coming on here has proven worthwhile.

smith
28th Apr 2008, 11:08
I think the early warning missile detector for a PA28 is a fab idea, totally useless, but a fab idea all the same:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
28th Apr 2008, 11:17
How about a device which detects carb icing?

twhite1
28th Apr 2008, 11:34
In regards to the PA28 or 152, how about a terrain warning system? or even a large obsticle warning? This could be useful for IMC pilots. You could find out how the terrain warning system works on larger aircraft and adapt this to suit light aircraft. Just a thought.

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 11:51
Smith

Exactly. See what im up against :ugh:

I think as long as i have a plausible idea i should be alright. Some of the ideas people in the class have come up with are laughable:rolleyes:

99jolegg
28th Apr 2008, 12:10
I agree with a simplified GPWS system...a warning tied in with a radio altimeter. "Controlled flight into terrain" is a common cause of accidents in GA; something that could be prevented.

Oh and if you're feeling brave, a resolution advisory on the VSI showing the climb rate needed to clear the obstacle :) :E

Cyclone733
28th Apr 2008, 12:18
How about a Mode Charlie transponder that bitches at you if you don't turn it on?

Anything to stop the "Traffic left 10 O'clock, slow moving, no height information if not sighted turn....."

SparksFlyHigh
28th Apr 2008, 12:30
Yeah good idea Cyclone.

Already have filed an airprox after only 14 hours in my logbook. Well, my instructor did, i dont like paperwork.

Rugbyears
28th Apr 2008, 12:50
Mercenary Pilot - Good example, I would be delighted to see somthing similar to this introduced..I find it difficult to believe that a standard piece of equipment does not exist already!

Prophead - Yes... Although, it would be more appropriate attached to an armchair - no more getting up to make a coffee, the wife might get a rest..!!! ;) Sorry....Sorry....:E

To be serious, depending on the level and practicalities of your course, I would consider something basic, practical more importantly doable. I suggest you investigate the ergonomics of the Mixture lever. So many pilots have experienced serious incidents as a result of leaning the mixture as apposed to reducing the throttle when returning to the airfield. Assess various possibilities how one could reduce this occurrence of this basic error. Investigate whether or not it would be a plausible to introduce a warning system, for example, at a predetermined threshold of the mixture, a visual light or an audible sound would be produced, this would indicate you’ve attained that threshold. Alternatively, redesign the ergonomics of the lever so that the Pilot is more aware, no not just the colour on the top of the handle, but possibly investigate the texture and feel of the lever – would you relocate it, should it be larger, smaller and so on….,

Best of luck! :ok:

9v-SKA
28th Apr 2008, 16:20
How about modifications for an engine that runs of jet fuel? As far as I know, not really done on the PA-28 yet.

Oh yes, by the way I'm a fellow aeronautical engineering student and a PPL holder.

matt_hooks
28th Apr 2008, 18:02
9V, I know a few PA28's fitted with the Thielert TD engine running on Jet A1, obviously a profitable idea that one! :E

Speed bird 002
28th Apr 2008, 20:39
I think im just the guy you need to speak with. for my final year project, i manufactured a NACA 4412 aerofoil using the usual vertical milling machine and various different tools. also stook a 12mm shaft through it so it fits like a condom in the wind tunnel section. :E

I then tested my NACA 4412 aerofoil, usual things like, lift at various angles of attack, stagnation point, transition point, stall. If you use a good wind tunnel, you can get it to plot you a graph with various information. I'd recommend you speak to your lab technician.

Once i got all the information, I then looked for a different NACA profile with similar wind tunnel test results and wrote a thesis on the differences. Obviously you'd have different lift characteristics, stall, etc etc etc.

Use your imagination, I know I did and enjoyed the project thoroughly.

Message me if you need any further advice. :ok:

Hayder.

Martyn hobbs
28th Apr 2008, 21:10
Interesting!

If you are not clued up on aerodynamics to the degree that you have the software available to test such models, maybe the following could be of interest:

For my final year project (Which I handed in last week at 15k words) I looked into fuel contamination by water in general aviation. (Specifically the Piper Tomahawk PA-38)

As you know, during the walk around before flight checklist you are required to take a sample of fuel to look for any possible contamination, a major factor being any water contamination.

This check has been overlooked before leading to accidents (After looking at many AAIB and NTSB reports it happens more than you would think :ugh:!)

As a further aid to the pilot, I proposed a system where a water in fuel sensor was fitted to the existing fuel system to give the pilot a real time read out of any water contamination in the aircrafts fuel supply in parts per million.

This would aid the pilot to decide if it was safe to fly or not (After the initial visual fuel drain procedure has been done.)

If this may be of any interest to you as a project I can forward to you useful information that would be able to help you!

Good luck with the project!

Martyn.