PDA

View Full Version : Hainan Island...?

McDoo the Irish Navigator
18th Mar 2002, 19:34
Hello all.... .. .I was hoping to garner some first-hand knowledge of Hainan Island; Paricularly with respect to expatriate workers.. .Has anyone lived/passed through there?. .I understand it is an SAR like Hong Kong or Macau.. .What can one expect upon arrival?. .Any information at all is helpful, from the price of beer to airspace dos and don'ts.. .I'll check back here every once in a while or if anyone likes you can e-mail me at [email protected].

Ivanahumpalot
20th Mar 2002, 15:33
You must be asking about the working conditions at Hainan Air, 328Jets I believe (or 737). Most likely you will be base at Haikou, the other big city being Sanya, a resort town. The weather on the island is tropical, food and living standard is low compare to the west or north Asia but high according to China standards. . .. .Flying in China is getting better by the day. Most major airports has radar now and many has ILS on both ends. Controller skill varies with region but the English is above average. . .. .Just make sure if you are coming in on an expat contract that the company picks up your Chinese tax bill, it can be very high. Working in China is a good experience. Good luck!

headset
26th Mar 2002, 07:24
The chinese beer is cheap, but someone once told me that they use arsenic as a presertive. Explains the headaches in the morning!!. .. .They are 2 expats currently with Hainan, and more coming. A progressive outfit, and I beleive that the package is reasonable. Not much to do in Haikou and it is not like HKG or MCU. . .. .Chinese airspace and rules imporoving daily, but sometimes suffers a regression which makes life "interesting".. .. .Check out contract terms and tax position carefully.

Stealth
26th Mar 2002, 16:40
Would anyone have the contact details of their flight training centre?

flyaustralia
6th Apr 2002, 12:39
McDoo the Irish Navigator, I've to correct you that Hainan is not a SAR, it is a province of People's Republic of China.

Ivanahumpalot, I also need to correct you as well. In China, there isn't a company or organization is called Hainan Air. I think you made a mistake, the Haikou-based airline carrier is called Hainan Airlines and it is the fourth largest airline group in China. If you would like to know more details, you could simply access Hainan Airlines official web site at http://www.hnair.com.