PDA

View Full Version : Hay fever jab.

mattford51
27th Apr 2008, 08:00
Hi,

Does anyone know if the hay fever jab has any effect on a CAA class one medical?

Thanks.

gingernut
27th Apr 2008, 09:15
I'm not sure about the medical status, but if your talking about triamcinolone injecions, then latest guidance suggests that they're a big no no for hay fever treatment. (I think eventually they rot your bones).

I must say though, they do seem to work, and I often wonder what happens when a low level fast pilot has to sneeze.:)

Irishwingz
6th May 2008, 10:43
You will definetely get an answer for that Q if you do a search on this forum.

I take the injection once a year and its works wonders. remarkable really but I'm not a comm pilot. I'm told that once a year is ok but you dont want to be taking it regularly.

Flyin'Dutch'
9th May 2008, 19:56
Despite anecdotal evidence that the triamcinolone jab works wonders, there really is no proper evidence base that it is more effective than systemic antihistamine tablets with topical treatment where required.

Combine that with the potential nasty side-effects, most notably subdermal fat necrosis leaving dents in your appearance, and it is clear why they are abandoned as treatment for a 'benign' condition such as hayfever.

The situation in the UK is such that anyone who administers these jabs for this indication has no indemnity insurance.

McWho
12th May 2008, 14:46
The advice according to the CAA website is to lay off any hayfever medication a couple of days before the test to get it out of your system and avoid affecting the results.

99jolegg
13th May 2008, 20:22
I have the Kenalog jab once or twice a year, (40mgs then 80mgs or vice versa) I don't know if this is the trade name for triamcinolone or not.

Anyway, the jab works wonders, eliminates hayfever within 30 minutes of having your backside stabbed and no side effects to boot either.

My GP said airline pilots are a substantial percentage of the people he prescribes it for simply because it eradicates hayfever for the season and doesn't induce drowsyness.

Hand Solo
14th May 2008, 00:03
Unless your GP is also an AME I'd take what he says with a big pinch of salt. Unless the injection is approved by the CAA then it's a big no no. Far better to take the CAA approved Fexofenadine daily tablets.