PDA

View Full Version : What’s wrong

D.O.G
27th Apr 2008, 06:56
It has been over 2 hours since a light aircraft called Mayday, at Archer Point, North of Cairns. I expected to know type, rego and colour of pilots undies, before departing CKN.
Hope all are well.

Mick.B
27th Apr 2008, 07:18
From ABC

A light plane has come down in trees during an emergency landing near Cooktown in Far North Queensland.
Police say the pilot issued a may-day call at around 2.30pm AEST and attempted to land the plane on Archers Point Road.
But it came down in small trees beside the road.
The ambulance service says the two people on board have only minor injuries.

D.O.G
27th Apr 2008, 08:02
Thanks Mick, Just got the good news Pilot and wife OK. He did well to get it down on a dirt track but a wayward tree made a mess of the Jabaru.

1a-tej
27th Apr 2008, 11:02
I was talking to a gentleman, who advised me that the pilot was having problems with the ignition source on his aircraft. After an aborted flight earlier today due to engine difficulty, bought new "alternative" spark plugs (not recommended by mechanic, or sales person), and the incident occured. Coincidence?

Jabawocky
27th Apr 2008, 12:00
Coincidence????

That the bug still existed perhaps. I bet it was not the plugs at all.

NGK D9EA or the Irridium equiv.

Not hard to buy, or install....2 per cyl.

Me thinks more likely crappy fuel or something else.

And why after a trouble shooting exercise would you blast off with pax on board without a solid test over the airfield for some time. maybe that happened but I do wonder if not.

Purely speculation on my part.....but the plugs.......:rolleyes:

Glad they walked away.

J

AirSic
27th Apr 2008, 12:11
Bet you can guess the colour they are now!:E

Probably has to retrieve them from his colon.:oh:

Glad to hear both are ok.:O

Mick.B
28th Apr 2008, 12:06
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/04/28/3429_local-news.html

Arm out the window
29th Apr 2008, 05:47
Good old Cairns Post - the aviation reporting is consistent, you have to give them that!

The couple were making the return leg of a day trip from Mareeba when they issued a mayday message that their plane was having engine trouble in the tail winds about 20km south of Cooktown.

The plane was thrown off course and quickly plummeted to the ground about 8km from the intersection of the Cooktown Developmental Rd and Archer Point Rd.

You have to watch those tail winds, they throw you off course.

the wizard of auz
30th Apr 2008, 12:27
Is it actually possible to slowly plummet?.

OzExpat
4th May 2008, 13:20
The journo is undoubtedly being paid by the word Wiz! :uhoh:

Lasiorhinus
4th May 2008, 13:37
http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou080430_tj_crabsplane.b6cbf21e.html

This is by far the best forced landing story Ive heard all week..

HOUSTON -- Three fishing buddies were returning from Port Lavaca on Tuesday night when their single-engine plane (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080429_tj_planecrash.b22d804d.html) stalled in mid-air. The small Cherokee was put down in a vacant lot, about a mile short of the runways at Hobby Airport.
The force of the crash broke off the plane’s nose gear and crumpled the plane’s fuselage. And while no one was hurt from the crash, one passenger aboard the plane did receive a number of crab pinches.
“When this happened, Craig was sitting in back and he said the cooler just went. Crabs went all over him just biting him left and right,” said Georgette McGuire, the girlfriend of one of the men aboard the plane. “He said it was driving him crazy. He’s got a bunch of crab bites on him.”

Atlas Shrugged
4th May 2008, 22:07
night when their single-engine plane stalled in mid-air.

I've yet to see one "stall" on the ground ;)

Jabawocky
4th May 2008, 23:10
And where is "Mid - Air" anyway, is it around 35-45,000 feet?:hmm:

das Uber Soldat
4th May 2008, 23:57
somewhere between low -air and high-air i think?