PDA

View Full Version : Sharing monitor with two computers

Brewster Buffalo
26th Apr 2008, 21:40
Just bought a new desktop with a TFT monitor to replace my existing one with its CRT. Thinking of using the TFT with both computers (though not at the same time!) using DVI for the new and VGA for the old.

The TFT manual seems to suggest it will work but...

the old desktop is running Windows 98 so will I need new drivers and will they exist for Win98?

Also will the monitor be able to adapt its resolution for the different systems.

Perhaps I should just connect them up and see what happens...
Anyone out there with any advice?

bb

Bushfiva
26th Apr 2008, 23:58
It will work. There are also boxes called KVMs that let you share one monitor, mouse and keyboard between two computers, at all pricing points.

planecrazy.eu
27th Apr 2008, 11:23
We have a TFT and 2 computers (PC/Laptop)

I connect the PC using DVI and the Laptop using VGA and all works fine...

Sure most monitors like mine, have multiple inputs.

The monitor allows you to select the input source, or you can have it on auto and it chooses the active port.

The montors adapts to the graphics cards on both in moments, and if you really like tweaking the monitor, the monitor has profiles, so you can create a setting profile for each PC.

As said, there are hardware switches and splitters, but, why go to the extra expense if its not needed.

Both machines are running xp, so not sure about 98, but monitors are just Plug and Play, and will work in a relative way in anycase.

Brewster Buffalo
30th Apr 2008, 19:09
Thanks for the replies...

BB

The late XV105
30th Apr 2008, 19:14
I too use a KVM switch for this.

If you'd like me to take the kick panel off my built-in desk (the switch lurks behind) and tell you which one, I will do so.

What I like about it is that to toggle between the two PCs (Keyboard, video, and mouse, as KVM implies) I simply hit Ctrl-Ctrl within a half second interval. No separate switches needed, because as written the device sits completely out of sight.

Another thing to consider in a KVM switch is that it emulates Keyboard and Mouse on PC boot even if that particular keyboard and mouse is deselected at the time. If not, when switching to it there's a chance that neither will work. Most KVM switches do this but I have seen a few cheapie-cheap ones that don't.

Brewster Buffalo
2nd May 2008, 08:23
Thanks for the offer XV105 but I'm only thinking of running two computers for the short term.

I've had a look at KVM's site so I've a good idea what is available if I think of making it more permenant.

BB