PDA

View Full Version : Pc Flight Planning Software Challenge

SirToppamHat
26th Apr 2008, 15:35
Hello all; I don't usually post here so please be gentle with me.

I am after some software that will be used for flight planning and monitoring. The software will need to work on a PC/laptop, but there are some specific requirements that I am not sure can be met by something off-the shelf, so I am seeking assistance and I hope you don't mind if I try to pick your brains. The software will need to work with a Garmin 496, as that which has been supplied (MapSource and nRoute) is simply not aimed at the aviation market in the UK. The requirements are as follows:

PLANNING
Needs to work over the whole UK (Europe and Russia an advantage).
Able to plan routes based on input of lat/long (either common format).
Able to transfer routes via USB to/from Garmin 496.
Able to import/export routes from/to Excel.
Able to indicate the height of the planned route above the ground in feet based on an input altitude or FL adjusted for temp and pressure.
Must be able to display relief data as well as current mapping (1:500k Aeronautical charts), which must be commercially available (ie Jeppesen.
Must be able to allow for an ac to loiter (eg to turn long-way round) at certain waypoints.
Must be able to show the projected time of crossing boundaries of airspace reservations.
Must be able to readout the total flight distance.

WHEN AIRBORNE
Needs to be a moving map, recording actual route on the laptop from the Garmin input.
Must display heading, height, speed, time to next waypoint and rate of change of heading (or angle of bank).
Additional points must be able to be injected (to indicate something happening during the flight.
Must be able to transfer the gathered data to Excel on completion.

I am trying to go for an off-the-shelf solution, which seems to make Flite Star VFR or Navbox the 2 options. Unfotunately neither seems to be available on a trial basis. Can anyone on here confirm whether either will work?

I ought to add that cost is not a massive issue, but the alternative will probably be bespoke, which will almost certainly be too expensive.

STH