PDA

View Full Version : Skills tests - differences in JAR countries

richatom
26th Apr 2008, 11:40
I've read on other threads of trainee pilots in the UK requiring several attempts to pass CPL or IR.

I find that a rather strange concept because here in France the FTO will not allow you to take the exam until they are 99.9% certain that you will pass. It is regarded as a blemish on the FTO, rather than the pilot, if a pilot fails a skills test.

Do other JAR countries follow the UK example, or French example?

LH2
26th Apr 2008, 16:25
Do other JAR countries follow the UK example, or French example?

Spain is, perhaps unsurprisingly, closer to the French way. I have trained and flown in all three countries (although on the administrative side so far I have only had to deal with the UK CAA), and in my experience I have found France the best in terms of professionalism, dedication, and enthusiasm. I am not referring to specific training outlets, but to the general training environment based on my observations.

Of those three I would rate the UK third. What really gets in my tits is their often expressed conviction that they're the best in the world, without offering any justification whatsoever. Best at filling in mountains of paperwork, having all sorts of contrived rules, charging extorsionate rates, and yet failing to systematically deliver decent pilots, undoubtely.

If I were to start over again I would steer well clear of the UK (and this isn't limited to aviation, the level of decadence shown in Britain in all aspects of life is truly appalling--which is a shame, because as a nation it's got a great many good things... but I digress)

And now I'm waiting for someone to fall for the fallacy that lower pass rates equate to better pilots. Go on, say that and prove that analytical thinking is not required to get a licence.

It is regarded as a blemish on the FTO, rather than the pilot, if a pilot fails a skills test.

Agreed, it is taken as something of a personal offence. :)