PDA

View Full Version : Working on contract in Mainland China?

Saturn
6th Oct 2001, 09:08
I have the possiblity of flying on contract the CRJ-200 aircraft in China soon. I am wondering what the conditions are like for an American, yes I'm a bloody yank! What is it like flying there. I have SOME ideas but would like the INSIDE scoop. Thanks.

dash 27
6th Oct 2001, 13:50
G'day.

I recently was invited to the Shandong Province to lecture the regional airline on operating Cessna Caravan Amphibs.
Generally I found them to be pleasant people. Remember, it is commumist China, so take all appropriate insurance policies, like airfares and money up front, and make an escapable contract. The english situation, you will find a challenge.
Most importantly, have an escape plan, and take good care of your self. Don't take a family there until you've lived it yourself.

Again, I found them pleasant people, but make yourself the boss of all situations, and you'll have a ball. Its a beautiful country.

Take Care

-27 :D

b777300
11th Oct 2001, 15:49
Hi Saturn

Depends on which city you stay and work? It's a lot of fun in China. You will figure it out. By the way which airline you apply for? And what requirement

PA32-300

yatao
17th Oct 2001, 11:44
Hi saturn
it is amazing to know you got a contract
with Chinese airlines.Is that China southern?I heard it has a plan for purchasing
20 CRJ-200s,and you seem a unusual guy cuz
there are no foreign pilots working for Chinese airlines as i know.
China is a exotic place for you American and Chinese people are always
amiable to American.you should thank Hollywood for this.It's for sure you will
feel comfortable.And China is an unbalanced country,I'm not sure if it is the right word.
There are obvious differences among cities,some are modern,some are not.It's better to go to major cities such as Beijing,
Shanghai,shengzheng and Guangzhou(Beijing is the best)if you have option.Of course,it will cost you more,but if they pay the same
as you have before,this won't be a problem.
By the way,you know how much a Chinese B757
captain takes home?US$1300 a month.This is high above the average already.
AS to the English situation,dash27 is telling the truth.Chinese people doesn't use
English in their daily life,although they spend lots of years in learning it,they speak broken English.but your situation is a
little different,probably will get you interpreter,they have to make sure there is no difficulty communicating with you.
welcome to China

;) ;)

flyaustralia
7th May 2002, 13:46
Yatao, glad to see your post here. However, just want to correct you that Chinese airlines do have foreign pilots (eg Sichuan Airlines), although they are not too many, but their are still some foreigners who are working for Chinese airlines as pilots.

Also, I do not want to argue with you, but I am sure that more than 70% Chinese pilots and F/As can perfectly communicate with foreigners in English, especially for those who are working on international flights and as well as major domestic routes!
----------
Civil Aviation Resource Net of China (http://www.carnoc.com/en/)

Le Pilot
7th May 2002, 16:21
If you need some info;
email me at [email protected]
I'll find time to talk to you...
There's a Texan here too who flies for the manufacturer, so don't get embarassed about being from the smaller states!

Le Pilot
8th May 2002, 10:00
Saturn;
email [email protected]
I'll can explain the emotional rollercoaster of China to you.
IT'LL Scar YA!!
Based in Haikou...Currently in Sanya (Hainan) Contrary to what people say about Hainan.. This place is fine.
The P-3 Crew was a major logistical problem to the Haikou Hotel's Chief Chef.... What shall I cook for the LAU WAI's tonight?

firehorse
9th May 2002, 00:07
Ahh the famous Phoenix International Airport, what a name huh.
FT

strikerA320
16th May 2002, 08:13
Saturn

If your asking what it's like working in China ? chinese authorities does not have any flexibility, they can't afford with a billion in population although laws are straightforward. If your gonna be based in a major city, theres no problem in communicating in english. Board and lodging will come cheap compared in the States. As for bringing your family, it's okay; chinese are family oriented.

Alpha Leader
17th May 2002, 06:55
Striker:

Not sure about your comments on family/kids.

My wife is from Laos and thus obviously well used to Asia, but we could not contemplate living in - our case - Shenzhen due to concerns about personal security.

Instead, I commute over the border every day. Our kids are at boarding school.

Alpha Leader
21st May 2002, 07:38
Firehorse:

Obviously, Shekou is an option, but you don't want to live in a ghetto.

And even then: just two or three weeks ago, a promising semi-professional Hong Kong cyclist on a training run between Shenzhen and Shekou got mugged in broad daylight.

Lowu is not always a bad run - but I usually use the Huang Gang checkpoint as I drive between HK and Shenzhen.

Ready
25th May 2002, 18:14
All right, I posted in the "Questions" forum, nobody answered my request, so I'll try here just in case.
How about Air Macau? They are looking for drivers right now, through an European agency.
How would it be to live around there?
And the airline itself, what do you know of?
Thanks!!!

McDoo the Irish Navigator
26th May 2002, 10:04
Would you mind sharing the name of the agency with an out of work Airbus guy? If you'd prefer my e mail is [email protected]

Thanks.