PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup Final - Manchester - 14th May 2008

1station
25th Apr 2008, 21:58
Does anyone have any information on any aircraft planned to operate for the UEFA Final being held in Manchester next month. I would imagine it will not be as busy as the Champions League Final in 2003 (I think it was) but sure to be a busy day.

Also should Manchester United overcome Barcelona in the Champions League another busy day will be in prospect on the 21st May with the mass migration to Moscow.

Could be a profitale month for Manchester.

superjet777
25th Apr 2008, 22:09
The Champions League final is an interesting one...

Say United beat Barca, that will be 2 English teams (hopefully 2 from the NW) in the final.

So that's around 45,000 fans to get over to Moscow.

Being realistic, you can't drive or get the train to Moscow so everyone will have to fly.

Say an average of 300 people on an aircraft, that's 150 needed.

Are there going to be enough spare aircraft in the UK to do this kind of work?!

RingwaySam
25th Apr 2008, 23:56
SuperJet,

What if Liverpool make the final aswell as United... Surely Manchester would take some of the Liverpool flights aswell with Liverpool only being small.

1station,

I think everybody will know more come the start of May when the teams for the final are decided.

AircraftOperations
26th Apr 2008, 15:15
If LFC and MUFC reach the final, they'll try to segregate the fans as much as possible for obvious reasons.

However, LPL does have space restrictions on larger aircraft.

In the past, the UK has had nowhere near enough spare aircraft to cover large groups of UK fans travelling abroad (LFC in Istanbul) so European charter aircraft are regularly used as well.

I'm sure a lot of aircraft have been booked already, as there is a guaranteed requirement from the UK - either from London or Liverpool at the very least.

A lot of fans will travel on scheduled flights as well - Moscow is fairly well served through a variety of European hubs.

The main problem for travelling fans could be trying to get a Visa issued in time.

Musket90
26th Apr 2008, 18:52
If the 'Gers repeat previos matches and win the 2nd leg after the 0 - 0 first leg at home then the M74 and M6 motorways may have vehicle capacity problems with MAN not having too many aeroplanes.

barry lloyd
26th Apr 2008, 19:22
I'm sure a lot of aircraft have been booked already

Well, all the hotels have! Try checking the hotel websites, and then, if you can, the prices. With Moscow being the world's most expensive city, this will probably be the most expensive Champions League final in history - for the fans that is!
I wonder if anyone will charter from Russian operators?:eek:

AircraftOperations
27th Apr 2008, 15:42
Not if they can help it as you are likely to be paying for more flight hours than a Western Europe based aircraft.

Gar
28th Apr 2008, 11:00
Hopefully there will be some chartered aircraft from Glasgow to Manchester, one of which has a football team on it!

Personally I'll be taking the M74/M6 route :ok:

Atreyu
28th Apr 2008, 13:02
Agreed. 'Mon the Teddy Bears for thursday!!

Atreyu:ok:

1station
28th Apr 2008, 21:43
I suspect there will be a substantial Spanish invasion tomorrow along with a sprinkling of Biz Jets to make up the numbers????

HeathrowAirport
29th Apr 2008, 21:59
My Club Chelsea if the get through will chater 5 thomas cook aircrafts and i believe most of them being 757s.

That will operate out of Gatwick.

markymark2007
1st May 2008, 10:53
Morning all,

Working at EGCC/MAN but have no firm info as of yet.

However, a friend of mine has enquired through two sources, one official and one un-official and has been told that any fans wishing to take a "One Day Trip" to Moscow will not be flying from Manchester but instead from regional airports. As I say this is not confirmed but could be possible due to the times that most "Sameday" flights would need to depart and arrive.

With time differences/transfers etc.. I would imagine most flights would have to leave Manchester before 9am on the Wednesday to ensure that fans were there in time. Especially with any potential red-tape in Russia. Also most flights coming back would be arriving probably from 6.30am onward on the Thursday. Both these times would be at "Rush hour" time at MAN.

If this is the case then its a good job Liverpool didn't get there as that would rule out using Liverpool for United flights!

Only a rumour but there may be some weight in it??!!??!!:cool:

LGS6753
1st May 2008, 15:10
According to the Luton thread in AA&R, 30 additional flights planned, including 737, 767 and Tu154 for Moscow.

Mr @ Spotty M
1st May 2008, 16:41
The big problem is going to be airport slots, just think of the number of a/c that will be used over the 3 or 4 days.
MAN, LTN, STN & LGW are all slot controlled and unless you are departing or arriving in the off peak times during the day or at night you have not got a cat in hells chance.
Where are the A380s when you need them?::D

Danmadole
1st May 2008, 19:57
The first team through to the final in Manchester after tonight's semi-finals is Zenit St Petersburg. They knocked out Bayern Munich (who unfortunately had a considerably larger fan-base), so not so good in my opinion.

Come on Fiorentina!!!

adz555666
1st May 2008, 20:19
Both finalists have only been given approx 20k tickets.

Zenit will sell all their tickets easily!

Hopefully there fans will come over in some nice Russian jets!!

Best Wishes

Adam

barry lloyd
1st May 2008, 21:24
It's gonna be Rangers! But you'll get your Russian jets from St P.

Bagso
1st May 2008, 21:28
Rangers.....oh dear oh dear oh dear...bang goes 30+ flights of Italians to be replaced by 300 coaches 3000 cars on the M6.....

:ugh:

I need a glass of whisky, but please not Scotch !!!!!!!!

older_wiser
1st May 2008, 22:19
Guess the airports in the North West will be quiet seeing as Liverpool didn't qualify, 40000 fans travelling from the South of England to Moscow :):):)

TSR2
1st May 2008, 22:32
Liverpool were not involved in the UEFA Cup competition.

Suzeman
1st May 2008, 23:10
With time differences/transfers etc.. I would imagine most flights would have to leave Manchester before 9am on the Wednesday to ensure that fans were there in time. Especially with any potential red-tape in Russia. Also most flights coming back would be arriving probably from 6.30am onward on the Thursday. Both these times would be at "Rush hour" time at MAN.

Pretty poor show if true as MAN managed to host the Champions League Final with all the flights that entailed a few years ago as some slot flexibility was allowed. And as movements are falling........

In addition Utd were in the final in BCN some years ago when admittedly it was quieter but Ringway still managed to handle a significant numbers of flights. However, the point about the time difference is well made - and of course those noisy 747s :ok:are not permitted to operate at night any more.:{

But if you don't want the business, somebody else will pick it up.....

On the tack of the UEFA Cup Final in MAN on 14th, I expect the Airport are breathing a sigh of relief as the number of flights will be much lower now Rangers are in . But I bet Mr Plod in the City will not be pleased as most Rangers fans will be on their own independent travel plans and therefore more difficult to control....

Interesting times ahead !!

Suzeman

RingwaySam
1st May 2008, 23:38
Guess the airports in the North West will be quiet seeing as Liverpool didn't qualify, 40000 fans travelling from the South of England to Moscow :):):)

Last I heard, Manchester was also in the North West :hmm: :ok:

Gar
2nd May 2008, 01:11
The Manchester police were concerned with 15k Rangers fans coming down for a friendly with Bolton pre-season. Lets see how they feel with 100k+ descending on Manchester on a Wednesday evening! :D

Well in The Rangers:ok:

inglebyboro
2nd May 2008, 06:28
Manchester is in the North.

I think the "dig" is the fact that most Man Utd fans live within the M25

:ugh:
:D

Ian Brooks
2nd May 2008, 07:45
Think he meant Champions league

Ian

mickyman
2nd May 2008, 08:48
Im wondering if the Zenit prawn sandwich fans will be fleeced
just as much as the English prawn sandwich fans will be?

Do the Russian fans require the visas that the British fans need
doing the opposite trip?

If they dont then somethings not right!

MM

Gar
2nd May 2008, 10:31
I'm pretty sure the Russians need visas to come to Manchester, yes. Whether they are paying through the nose for it as the English are - I don't know I'm afraid

1station
2nd May 2008, 11:06
Yes, the Zenit fans do need Visa's and a proportion of them already have them as they played Everton in the Group stages of the competition I am led to believe.

On the ticket allocations, basically its 13,000 per team. Zenit are expected to use around 8,000 of these and any untaken ones will be given to Rangers.

The remaining capacity of the stadium allocation is distributed by UEFA I think to various organisations and clubs who have competed in the competition.

Places to avoid in Manchester on the day should you choose to are:-

Albert Square - Rangers Fan Zone
Picadilly Gardens - Zenit Fan Zone

Any Rangers fans flying have been allocated Terminal 3 and Zenit Terminal 1, so a nice easy night for T2 staff!!!

Although I suspect the whole of Manchester will become a mini Glasgow for the day. Good luck to all involved.

barry lloyd
2nd May 2008, 12:14
Do the Russian fans require the visas that the British fans need
doing the opposite trip?

fyi: Normally Russians have to fill in a 24-page dcoument and have an interview at the embassy/consulate for a British visa, all without the guarantee, and iirc, they pay about Ģ60, whether it's issued or not.
Brits fill in a one-page document and are charged about the same. As a football supporter, which would you rather be?

1station
2nd May 2008, 12:26
I would prefer to ba a Liverpool fan sat in front of the telly with a few cold beers. No stress or worries this year for a change!!!!

barry lloyd
2nd May 2008, 12:56
I would prefer to ba a Liverpool fan sat in front of the telly with a few cold beers. No stress or worries this year for a change!!!!

:cool::ok:

Bagso
2nd May 2008, 15:55
5 live also reported this morning (Fri 2nd) that is going to be almost impossible for Zenit supporters to get a visas to get to the uk in under 14 days !!

so more bad news !

pwalhx
2nd May 2008, 16:03
Confusion has rained upon this thread, as people have confused the UEFA cup final being held at the City of Manchester Stadium with the Champions League final being played in Moscow.

Maybe the thread should be split.

For the gentleman or lady who believes all the fans for the Champions league final between Manchester United and Chelsea will be travelling from the South then as MUFC fan said on the Manchester thread I could go on all night as to why your wrong but it isnt worth the effort.

IB4138
2nd May 2008, 17:37
Places to avoid in Manchester on the day should you choose to are:-

Albert Square - Rangers Fan Zone
Piccadilly Gardens - Zenit Fan Zone

Now which organisational brain has come up with this ?

Trains from Glasgow arrive at Piccadilly Station, unless BT Police are going to ensure all rangers fans get off at Oxford Road.

The route to Albert Square from Piccadilly station is not surprisingly through..Piccadilly Gardens. :ugh:

I see Manchester airport have already put up the spotters fees at the AVP and declared it all ticket on the day, expecting charter flights from Italy, as well as Russia.:rolleyes: Canīt see many charters coming from Glasgow or St Petersberg somehow.:ooh:

Anyone asked for a refund on their AVP tickets yet as a result? :hmm:

Gar
2nd May 2008, 20:48
I think the whole of Manchester might be a Rangers fanzone for 3 days

As Peter Drury said last night, "Manchester might not be big enough"!

older_wiser
4th May 2008, 15:50
Seems that the contibutors lack humour on this thread, of course Manchester is in the North West, it's just there fans that are not.

And with regard to people commenting over whether this is a Uefa cup or Champions League thread, what difference does it make, if one wanted to be really picky we could say why is football being discussed on a Aviation forum !

I guess some people need to lighten up a little :*

2close
4th May 2008, 17:59
Now, hold on to your sides guys but I've just seen an advert from some guy offering 2 x spaces in a C-172 to go see the Moscow game!!! :\

This has got to be a Wah!

But......is it possible? Apart from visas, the travelling and a fuel bill big enough to fund your mortgage, what are the restrictions on GA traffic into Russia?

Or could you expect some in-flight entertainment from a Mig29?:eek:

RingwaySam
4th May 2008, 18:13
I see Luton flights have come up, any Manchester ones been put up yet?

Shed-on-a-Pole
6th May 2008, 02:50
Regional Teletext (North West) reports that Rangers fans will be disappointed as Zenit St Petersburg expect to use their entire allocation of 13000 tickets for the UEFA final. This is of course excellent news for those of us interested in the Russian airlift!

Gar
6th May 2008, 10:11
None of the Zenit tickets would go to Rangers direct anyway due to segregation issues. They would instead go to the UEFA Ballot reserve list to be distributed anywhere in Europe. Of course, through touts they would probably end up in the hands of Rangers fans anyway!

Bagso
6th May 2008, 13:11
Geoff Muirhead (...for it is he) has also apparently been quoted as saying that the airport can "easily" absorb the rush from Manchester later in the month......so looks like the prospect of traffic being lost elswhere has receeded......!!!!

Given the fact that the airport is eager to cash in any way they can to make money, turning traffic away did seem a bit fanciful, although whether he has consulted ATC for their view remains to be seen !

1station
9th May 2008, 23:00
As of noon Friday only 80 sectors confirmed, 40 turnarounds for the period 12th - 16th May. Slots still being apllied for so will change as we get nearer. As per the Champions League, Servisair and Flight Support taking the majority of the work on. More interesting for the spotters than next week.

Operators include Gazpromavia, Transaero, Eastern, Monarch, Rossiya, VIM, Centre Avia, Flybe, Atlantic Soyuz, Red Wings, KD Avia, Aeroflot and Thomas Cook.

1station
11th May 2008, 16:41
The Zenit team arrive approx 1030z tomorrow morning, Terminal 2.

bazzab68
13th May 2008, 18:08
Anyone have a final list of what is actually gonna turn up tomorrow, Seems the viewing park maybe full but a damp squib in terms of russian movements. Any other expected movements other than the extra russian flights to look out for???

Thanks in advance
Barry

RingwaySam
13th May 2008, 18:24
Barry, try www.ringwayreports.co.uk - The thing is, flights are being added/canx nearly every hour.

ZH875
14th May 2008, 20:39
Ha Ha Ha, I just can't stop laughing :E

I can hear the Celtic fans from here.

Gar
16th May 2008, 10:07
It's better to have been to the final and lost than not been anywhere near it and having your only chance of winning a competition this season if another team throws it away due to fatigue.

I think Rangers fans, although disappointed, are the ones really laughing