PDA

View Full Version : I need to gather some info on an airline...

soseg
25th Apr 2008, 13:20
I'm currently doing an accounting assignment at uni, and basically me and my group are doing it on Qantas, we've got all the numbers out of the way and all that mumbo jumbo but the other thing we need is to explain it all... ie we need to gather info about Qantas from the news n stuff and look at what theyve been doing, such as activities that would influence their profits and everything else to do with accounting... ie any investing, business / competition strategies, management things... just anything that would influence where the company is standing today (and over the last 3 years [05-06-07]) financially

so my question is... do any of u guys out there know any good aviation / aviation-business websites which could give me extra information that i perhaps would not find on news websites, google etc?

Peter Fanelli
25th Apr 2008, 13:26
Forget other websites, you'll find all the people who can fill in the details right here on PPRuNE. I'm sure this will make an interesting thread.

I'm not one of those people however so I'll start getting the BBQ and refreshments ready. :E

Lasiorhinus
25th Apr 2008, 17:11
I presume you've read their annual reports?

Here's last year's. The rest are out there somewhere, but this is a head start.

Qantas Annual Report 2007 (http://qantas.republicast.com/ar2007)

sms777
26th Apr 2008, 04:33
Here we go again.
Do not you just love all these "acamedics...acadentits...academitists... hell whatever:{ that more worried about spelling mistakes than giving an intelligent answer the poor bloke who is trying to get some information in the aviation industry.
At least good old Peter Fanelli given him half an intelligent answer.

Hey SOSEG,
Mate, be careful, i heard duck season just started in Victoria.:E

soseg
26th Apr 2008, 07:24
bean counter? lol far from it
im just doing a business degree as a backup in case something goes wrong in the future health wise and i cant fly anymore or use my aviation degree for anything... just opening more windows

Lasiorhinus thanks for that report... seen it already tho... its got some info on it... but still looking for more news type info ie media (not the actual numbers side of accounting i've done that already)... just gotta explain all the calculations in relation to what the company is trying to do or has done

thanks anyway... i thought maybe there was an aviation news/business site or something you guys know of that i dont

RadioSaigon
26th Apr 2008, 07:28
soseg: have you seen www.ausaviation.com.au ? News and views there are probably a bit more relevant than anything you are likely to find here :ok:

sms777
26th Apr 2008, 07:30
Sir, This is not a contest between You and I.
I have to apologise to all the other punters following this thread due to drift regarding spelling abnormalitis.
The point i was trying to make that this thread started by an innocent uni student trying to gather some information regarding financial situation of leading airlines in this country so he can complete his assay.
But some so called professionals turned it in to a grammar contest.
So, to all you so called Aviation Professionals: " Pull Your Head In " and start concentrating on your flying skills rather than worrying about your grammar. I am a bush pilot so as long as you can demonstrate your flying skills you can learn english as you go.
This is what this great country is about.
Give everyone a fair go.
Cheers mate!

RadioSaigon
26th Apr 2008, 08:11
I quite agree... no contest is possible, necessary or desirable. You did however weigh into those who had pointed out shortcomings, without adding anything to the discussion in question, beyond some esoteric reference to duck-shooting in VIC, in post #7. All I have done is represent an opposing point of view. Briefly that is: aviation at all levels relies on clear, concise, accurate communication. To me, anyone that fails to communicate clearly (i.e.: can't be bothered proof-reading and checking their written material) displays a lack of professionalism that will most likely manifest itself in other more critical situations.

I see absolutely no need to apologise to anyone for any perceived abnormalities -and please don't be so arrogant as to assume to apologise for me. I am sure the uni essay will be successfully completed, despite anything written or read in here. There is absolutely no need to worry about my flying skills either; I paid sufficient attention to spelling and grammar as a junior that I can devote all necessary attention to maintaining and sharpening my stick & rudder skills, without any need at all to 'learn as I go'. So it appears it's not me that needs to pull my head in -I didn't start the discussion down this track and it seems there is little need to wrap the discussion in either the flag or the 'little battler' banner.

If you are not prepared for robust discussion of your viewpoint in these threads, best not to post.

sms777
26th Apr 2008, 09:12
I am sorry to say but you have totally misundertood my post.
It was never aimed at You or any so called Aviation Professionals.
Like i said it was turned into a grammar contest which was totally out of of this thread. I do admit that my native language is german rather than as you you would call the "god language of english" in aviation therefore i am extra careful of any post i submit here. I am sure there are many guys/girls out there feel very uncomfortable posting on this forum fearing they may get crucified by someone like you not spelling "God Save The Queen" correctly.
So let me say again " Pull Your Head In " and give us a chance to learn your language again.
How about getting back to the original thread again.