PDA

View Full Version : A level maths a must for CTC cadets?

F/O UFO
25th Apr 2008, 09:18
Hi, I'm currently at college doing maths, physics, geography and economics as levels- soon having to choose which one to drop. My question is in the title; would I still be eligible for selection with only AS level maths?

Thanks

99jolegg
25th Apr 2008, 10:32
You only need two A levels at C grade or above to qualify for CTC assessment. I didn't do any classic science or maths - they didn't query it all. In fact, they'd rather you did well in something rather than doing average/bad in maths / physics which you took for the sake of looking intelligent.

Do the subjects you enjoy and can do well in and you've ticked the educational attainment box there and then.

woskam
26th Apr 2008, 15:38
The brochure that I picked up from CTC a few weeks back says:

"...have two A-levels (or equivalent), preferably in Mathematics and one other science based subject (Physics recommended) at grade C or higher"

So while it appears as though it's not essential to have maths, it is "preferable". That said, there was a couple of guys at my phase 3 assessment who hadn't done A-level maths and they'd managed to get that far...

F/O UFO
27th Apr 2008, 10:37
I'm thinking of (having hopefully got a B at AS level) dropping maths. I will still be doing physics. The odd thing was, at the flyer show NONE of the cadets I spoke to had A level maths.

Mikehotel152
27th Apr 2008, 10:43
Nothing you do in the ATPL requires knowledge of A-Level Maths.