PDA

View Full Version : “Asiana Airlines flying into the Valley of Death!”

scramjet888
1st Feb 2002, 09:58
Current news about Asiana Airlines now scrapping their civilian flight crew recuitment. Instead they have opted, to only recruit Ex-Korean Air Force personnel. Obviously they’re flying into the same Valley of death, as did Korean Airlines. At least Korean Airlines are climbing out of the valley, pulling up to the stick shaker. It was well known that Asiana was the safer between the two airlines, which has now been seriously compromised.

When will they understand that Air Force personnel and CRM does not mix, especially in an Asian country because of the Authority gradient being too steep. Clear reasons why Asiana and Korean airlines have had so many accidents, 1) Basic English problems amongst native Korean pilots (listening, speaking, and reading NOTAMS), 2) Poor CRM on the flight deck, and 3) Just plain bad management. The only people I feel sorry for are the Korean traveling population, their given right to safety when they pay for a seat. God help Asiana Airlines!

MR. Login
3rd Feb 2002, 12:25
Are you saying ex-airforce guys aren't good pilots? After all those precision training of shooting at banners, they are dangerous?

I think Asiana will be better off, having fast thinking, exceptional physique and highly motivated pilots around. After all, it really is like having "Generals" flying for the public.

If I were you, I'd be very grateful to have them around.

Usman
3rd Feb 2002, 21:14
When an Air Force pilot join the airline as a miniority they get screwed by the civilian majority. From experience they get screwed up rosters, flight checks etc etc that ultimately lead to a hazardous situation that effect their flight.

Even a General MUST spend at least 6 month on a particular plane as a co-pilot to learn the rope before being promoted to commander. Even that is not enough they must fly supervised by an intructor for 6 months before being released on line. This is for them to adapt and to unlearn things they do in the Air force.

No airline does this simply because they lack the. .psychological understanding of AF pilot. Or rush them through hoping they prang somewhere along the line.

typhoonpilot
3rd Feb 2002, 23:49
Scramjet888 comments are right on in regards to Asian Air Force officers becoming airline pilots. My experience in Taiwan was very similar. The Colonels who were upgraded in a year or less to command spoke the worst English, had the worst CRM, and were the worst sticks. That said, there were a few exceptions, but generally those had trained extensively in the U.S. I found the younger guys, captains and majors when they got out, spoke much better English, had a much better idea of how to work together as a team member, and could actually keep control of the airplane.

This is in regards to Asian Air Force pilots not western Air Force pilots, so those in that category should not take offense. It is a very different culture over there and that culture is not conducive to the safe operation of an airliner. Witness the many accidents that Korean and China Airlines have had.

By the way, heard an all Chinese crew took off from a taxiway in Anchorage the other day.

Cheers

downfourgreen
4th Feb 2002, 03:03
I don’t think that military pilots aren’t good enough to fly as an airline pilot however they must fly several hours on RH seat following a sequence and career as all pilots from commuter and GA do before exposing their left arm to the sun’s rays. Shooting at banners, fast flights just a foot above the ground, precision landings on aircraft carriers or dogfights are good events to impress girlfriends but aren’t a free ticket to get an airline pilot job. Direct-entry captains? Hummm.... .As a training pilot, with some experience in SE Asia, I’ve already seen and heard many stories about poor performance from AF Aces. Today airlines, shareholders, customers and all families involved want much more from the guys in the cockpit. . .When things are faster than expected as a result we can see and wait a lot of incidents and accidents.... .Based on SJ888 report, it seems Koreans have not learnt yet.

411A
4th Feb 2002, 08:38
Downfourgreen, very well thought post.. .In many years in Asia/ME, have found there is not much difference in the AF vs civvy types, as First Officers anyway, and I have trained both.. .Recall the first AF guy to join SQ, he could fly the B707 very well indeed and had a superb attitude. Of course, in those days the guys got many circuits in the aircraft....trained to proficiency was the motto then...at least while fuel was cheap.

Djoni Boerhanoeddin
5th Feb 2002, 20:11
But above all the three GARUDA F/O are the best to fly ASIANA better then the A/F guys, they can override the union just like that