PDA

View Full Version : Emirates and the single pilot

Career Pilot
24th Apr 2008, 22:21
There have been many topics when discussing Emirates concerning the pluses and minuses of the married pilot moving his family to Dubai. Since a majority of pilots accepting a position with Emirates are probably married with/without children it is a very relevant issue. But I was wondering about important issues that pertain to single pilots. I am single with no children and am thinking about applying to Emirates. I guess the big issues for someone that is single would be housing, as I would like to be living in the center of the city where the action is as opposed to somewhere less desirable or farther out. Also, I would like to know about activities and things to do for single folks. Thanks

captainpierre
24th Apr 2008, 23:57
Hi CP,
I'm leaving for Dubai tomorrow, I'm a bachelor too and I'm also concern about the single lifestyle. I think that the best way is to find out by myself.
I'll keep you posted.
CptP.

Career Pilot
25th Apr 2008, 00:04
CP,

Thanks, keep me posted!

ZaaZoo
25th Apr 2008, 03:10
Me three:ugh:

fatbus
25th Apr 2008, 05:05
2/3 bed apt in a number of towers some better than others, most guys say lots of room. Same towers as CC but on the higher floors. You dont get hasseled by the front door guard like the CC do. By law you are not allowed any female in your room after 11 pm, they do keep track. Lots of 21 - 25 year olds and I mean lots, over 30 and it starts to become few. You might get tired of the bar thing so it depends of you likes and hobbies.great place for a single guy to get some good time and have a good time and save no money

tbaylx
25th Apr 2008, 06:53
The no females in your room after 11pm (thought it was 1am for the cabin crew?) may be an issue to the cabin crew but pilots are rarely/never harrased by security over that issue.

Like everyone else housing is now the big issue for single guys, you may end up waiting 6+ months for permanent accomodation. Once you get it though its usually a decent 2 bedroom apartment in one of the towers on SZR. The apartments are nice, the only complaint the guys seem to have is that the windows don't open and there isn't a balcony to put a BBQ out on. Some of the towers have exceptions though and end up with a balcony.

iceberg76
25th Apr 2008, 11:20
Just got back after the interview process. I am also a single guy with no kids hoping to get into the emirates family.
For the guys out there wondering/worrying about stuff to do in dubai: from what i saw, trust me, this should be the least of your worries.. any semi outdoor/active person COULD have a blast. You also dont have to worry about living in the centre of town. Its easy enough to get around, even without a car. Lots and lots of taxi's around. (and they are not expensive)

The list of things to do is endless. Basicly if you can think of it, you can do it.. They have very informative magazines lying around all over the place with lots of info on all the activities for the week/month. From what i saw there is even an archery club if that tickles your fancy.. and if its not there, you start one?!

It all depends on your attitude... Is you glass half empty or is it half full? Go there and go check it out.. Everybody is friendly and will do their best to give you accurate information. Just remember that all the people there are 'in the same boat' as what you would/could be in..

Hoping to see some of you there for a cold beer and maybe even a BBQ on one of those 'open' balconies... (oh yes... and it is true.. plenty of girls around :ok:)

GoreTex
25th Apr 2008, 14:55
icy,
cant wait to read your posts in a year from now

pitoss
25th Apr 2008, 19:45
I would say in 6 months!!!!:8:8:8

Pitoss

Fart Master
25th Apr 2008, 20:29
Nah....6 weeks, I do love the "you get out of it what you put in" brigade when they first arrive, doncha just luv it:ok:

tbaylx
26th Apr 2008, 05:28
Yeah quick it's a happy guy, fast lets jump on him and make him as miserable as the rest of us as fast as possible before it spreads! :rolleyes:

CAYNINE
26th Apr 2008, 05:36
Come on guys don't piss on his parade.....

I came here several years ago single and had a ball, the best thing about being the newbe in DXB is being single!! The accom now is just as good as it was, (different if your married with kids or a DEC waiting for your flash villa)and the bar scene if your into it, is even more diverse than when it was mainly Scarlets and Zinc..... If you can't have a good time socially here single then you have got to take a close look as to why.