PDA

View Full Version : Whould you go back to BA?

Litebulbs
24th Apr 2008, 21:47
For all the ex BA engineers, would you? After experiencing the green grass outside of the worlds favorite, do you still think of the good times in the old days, if their were any?! I would, but what is an LAE on now? My basic with shift will be about £48K. Is that higher or lower than a LAE?

Fargoo
24th Apr 2008, 22:46
You'd be mad to take the pay cut from what you're on now.
Top LAE increment is £36k + Shift pay.
Max shift pay is £6k for permanent nights - a lot less for more sociable patterns.
As a new starter you'd be on low LAE increment of at least £3-4k less.

Even if you were to come back as an AMS you'd still be looking at a pay cut of a few thousand a year.

Fargoo
24th Apr 2008, 22:50
Having said all that, get yourself on the right shift in the right section and it can be a very enjoyable place to work.
Some shifts in some sections are still full of died in the wool manic depressives who'll drag down even the most enthusiastic people, steer well clear of these and it's a good place to work.

Whinging Tinny
28th Apr 2008, 09:11
In the UK? Not a chance

A couple of good outstations around though.

smudgethecat
28th Apr 2008, 09:30
Never realised BA salaries were so low , i was always under the impression for some reason they were around the top of the table

Le Pen
30th Apr 2008, 20:05
Left in 2006 after 28 years.....

Would I return??

Nope! Not in a million years!

LP

Sonic Bam
30th Apr 2008, 20:07
No training bond though ......

Whinging Tinny
30th Apr 2008, 23:22
Likewise, can't knock the tickets I got out of them and some good courses outside Viscount House.

Some fantastic times and some brilliant people, but as they say time moves on.

Litebulbs
1st May 2008, 07:13
I was talking to an old shift mate last week about the possible growth at LGW in the next few years. I also asked him about the age of the shift. He was a year below me (86) and he was the 3rd youngest on our original shift.

If they do grow LGW again and need more people, where will they get them from? So many have taken the cash and moved to South Terminal or gone contracting on far more cash, that BA would struggle to fill the holes.

Does anyone know of someone who has joined BA as an LAE/AMS in the last few years at LGW or LHR, rather than been swallowed up by acquisition?

Storminnorm
3rd May 2008, 18:50
No Chance now that HMG are whingeing about the BAA monopoly.
Very limited future there, I think.:ugh:

primreamer
4th May 2008, 10:45
If BA enlarge their ops at LGW and need more A/B1/B2 licenced staff to cover that growth then they'll have to offer an attractive package, something close to or above market rates, to tempt people from outside. It depends on what an individuals pay/T+C/contractual aspirations are but if the offer is good enough then I'm sure there will be a response (maybe even from those who have moved on elsewhere). Don't know of anyone joining BA engineering lately. Thought it was quite the opposite with staff being made offers to go?

TheChitterneFlyer
4th May 2008, 19:09
It's a sad state of affairs. I took voluntary severence back in 2001 from my Flight Engineer post on the Classic and it's been a downhill slalom ever since. Dragonair Cargo was a job... but nothing else; except for the pay cut. I'm now an Ops Officer in the Middle East... I couldn't afford to live in the UK, so I escaped Gordon Brown to live in the 'Sandpit'.

Regrettably we cannot step back in time; the eighties and nineties were great years within BA; however, the 'beancounters' now control the New BA. It will never be the same... so, NO, I wouldn't ever come back! Especially not to be controlled by Willie Walshe!

TCF

Golden Rivet
4th May 2008, 19:28
September 89 Apprentice. Left in '98.

Would I go back.........Nope.

the_fat_maintroller
5th May 2008, 20:17
September 88 Apprentice - left 2000

Would I go back - Not a hope

Filler Dent
6th May 2008, 19:37
Sep 88 intake - left 2006
What done it for me, was the AMS business, on top of the pension, ‘A’ licence layabouts, miserable moaners and general lack of interest in anything other than trapping.

The AMS role, before it was conceived in that incarnation, was the perfect opportunity for them to realign the grades – ever so slightly – so that Techs were encouraged to gain their ‘B’ licences and the LAEs would feel a bit more important again and rewarded accordingly. But what happened? The usual threats and abuse from management, (I still have the letter from Mr Jones threatening to take away my money – 14/07/06), compounded by a persistent lethargy amongst the very people who should have told them to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

The company I work for now pays better, has a pension which is easily comparable to the current BA one, private healthcare, upgraded staff travel, a bonus scheme that actually pays out, no clocking on/off, overtime – yet BA always maintained they were good payers – yeah right!

The age profile is not good amongst the LAEs, who I understand do even more work now as the “hands on” AMSs are too busy doing TMG stuff. All the youngsters are leaving. Can’t BA see it? All the caring company nonsense – laugh!

LGW has been run down for years – now Easy jet have their presence at North Terminal, LGW is likely to be sold, open skies, etc. Don’t look too promising.

Filler Dent
6th May 2008, 19:44
I wouldn't go back, unless it was a very, very attractive package.

Sort off, Heather Graham, whipped cream, wetsuit, waterbed, cucumber and pepperoni pizza type package - if you get my drift. ;)

Ain't going to happen..........:uhoh: