PDA

View Full Version : Salivary Stones

Hansard
24th Apr 2008, 21:03
The Doctor suspects I may have a stone/stones in a salivary gland and has referred me for investigation. I get discomfort under the jawline but otherwise feel fit.

Has anyone had this problem? How was it treated and did it stop you flying?

AMEandPPL
24th Apr 2008, 22:16
Salivary stones would certainly be a temporary bar to flying if they caused sufficient symptoms to be a significant distraction from the primary task of controlling the aircraft safely. Similar principle to renal stones, though unlikely to be anywhere near as horrendous as renal colic !

Some salivary stones might be passed spontaneously (again, like kidney ones ! ) but others might require surgical removal. In an aviator any operation requiring a General Anaesthetic requires ten to twelve days' grounding, simply because of the GA.

Finally, some simple tests might be done to try to identify any predisposition to stone formation in future ( eg Calcium etc ).

Overall, very unlikely to be a LONG-TERM problem for any pilot !

Hansard
25th Apr 2008, 12:57
AandP

Many thanks for response. Is there anything I can do to ease the situation meantime and perhaps encourage spontaneous passing? Massage? Keeping up the flow of saliva? Heat? Cold?

H

Anodyne
9th May 2008, 18:39
Hansard

Your dentist might be the person to help - they have the radiography equipment to detect the stones, and while they probably will not treat the problem themselves, they can arrange referral to the local dental hospitals oral surgery department who should be able to deal with it - possibly under local rather than general anaesthetic.
In any event get it looked at - pain originating in the floor of the mouth needs to be investigated.

Unofficially - If it is a stone (more likley in the duct rather than the gland itself) the old wives tale cure for this was to bite a lemon - this will stimulate massive salivery flow and may eject the stone (bit like bursting a spot) however it can be painfull and is certainly not garanteed to work! - your choice.