PDA

View Full Version : Radar radiation hazard?

PicMas
24th Apr 2008, 18:59
Gents,

I have recently accepted a bit of freelance work on a piston twin equipped with a side-looking-airborne-radar (SLAR). This is mounted inside and underneath the aircraft. My limited knowledge of technical installations and radars in particular drives me to ask a few questions.

The radar appears to be of a "mature" age. From the setup in the aircraft I would guess early 80's (or from an episode of Startrek). I would not be surprised if this thing has a very high output.

Should I rule out any radiation danger as pilot on this aircraft? Is this type of radiation dangerous and should I assume that the radar head is shielded in a sufficient manner?

I would appreciate some insight on the subject before I possibly nominate myself for the Darwin Award.

Regards

MAS

Blacksheep
24th Apr 2008, 23:22
As it says on the box - "Side Looking Radar" It radiates to the side, not up into the aircraft.

There used to be weather radars that used an antenna that rotated through 360-degrees but in these cases the crew compartment (and more to the point, the receiver!) was protected by radar absorbent material. I haven't seen one in operational use since 1985 though. I hardly think the Darwin awards come into it...

Golden Rivet
25th Apr 2008, 10:51
You'll live. Just dont put your tongue on it.

Vortechs Jenerator
25th Apr 2008, 20:24
"Just dont put your tongue on it."

:O That reminds me of a joke about what 9v batteries and a certain part of a ladies body have in common!

You you shouldn't but sooner or later you will put your tongue on it!

polarbearjim
27th Apr 2008, 19:11
All antennas have side lobes. It's unavoidable so not all the radiation will be directed in the desired direction. Some will no doubt be directed towards the aircraft. A metal aircraft skin should provide some sort of sheilding though.