PDA

View Full Version : SIA Trainee Pilot Molest Girl!!!

MadChinaman
20th Sep 2001, 18:17
Hot off the Press.

The Straits Times reported a trainee SIA pilot admitted to molesting a 14 year old girl in a lift and plead guilty, citing a psychiatrist report that he had suffered from depression for a few years and thus impairing his judgement. Tang Chee Leong age 28 is a graduate from the local university pleaded to impose a fine so that he could pursue his ambition to be an airline pilot.

This article really pisses me off on how SIA selects their cadets?

I am a local with a CPL/IR frozen ATPL from U.K. I don't have the basic educational requirement ie. only 4 'O' Level passes in subjects like English and Physics. Nor do I have a degree. But having graduated from the "university of life" have taught me what is right and wrong. Neither do I have any mental or personality flaws.

And for my efforts in wanting to be a pilot, was a thank you but you are not successful in your application.

This is how those bunch of assholes in SIA select future airline commanders. Lt.Gen. Bey, should better wake up his idea and start looking out of the box and give us a consideration rather than following the time honoured tradition of selecting trainees. He might be suprised with us bunch who somehow don't meet their requirements but have initiative in getting our licences at our own expense which I feel is commendable and all we ask for is an opportunity.

Lee
21st Sep 2001, 07:32
Madchinaman,

The CAAS educational requirement for a CPL licence is 5 'O' levels in Emglish, Mathematics (either E or A Maths) and a Science subject. That's the CAAS ruling, not SIA's.

I sympathise with you that CAAS, does not take into account that you "graduated from the University of Life". Well, as a Singaporean ( I assume you are one, if not, please forgive me) or at least knowing about Singapore, you should know that 'the paper-chase' here really counts.

So, instead of complaining about other people, why don't you just redo your 'O' levels and make sure you pass your 5 'O' levels (in the subjects reguired by CAAS) in one sitting. Unless, you just want to whine and whine, but never improve, your frozen ATPL is not going to be of any use in SQ or shall I say, for a start, they wouldn't even bother with your CPL/IR.

This is my personal opinion, it does not reflect that of the SQ Management. So, don't cast the first stone, unless you have no sin.

Cheers, Capt Lee

Feret
21st Sep 2001, 14:36
MadChinaman,

Just over 20 years ago there was a Capt Bey who sat in the right seat of a RSAF 122 Sqn Herc as a co-pilot. This guy was really well educated and well spoken. He was also one of the worst polemen I have ever flown with.

My advice is to get the extra education if that is at all possible. Who knows where it can lead to! ;)

Cheers.

on the glide
21st Sep 2001, 16:05
Sir,

What I'd experienced was,not all what I expected will be come true,it's hard though
but that's life..that's the meaning of life.
Thank God.

cheers. ;) ;)

Hermie
21st Sep 2001, 16:44
Lee,

Do you have any idea, whether a Degree not from NUS/NTU but rather a Degree from overseaseg: Australia will still be considered as a recognised Degree as stated in the SQ requirements for the Cadet Pilot position. Considering you have the minimum requirements.

---------------------------------------------

MadChinaman,

You can re-do your O's, I mean there is no age barrier to do your O'Levels. If you really want to land yourself with SQ then go for it like Lee said. I wish you All the Very Best and hopefully you'll achieve your GOAL.

Remember
In Life There Is Hope, In Hope There Is Life

That shall be all for my post now. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Herman :cool:

Lee
21st Sep 2001, 19:54
Hermie,

SQ recognises all accredited University degrees from all over the world. Therefore, your Australian degree should be recognised by SQ. BTW, SQ is a Goverment-Related Company, so the policies on accredited university degrees are in line with the Public Service Commission. A rule of thumb would be, if the PSC recognises the degree, likewise, SQ will surely recognise it too.

Cheers.

Hermie
22nd Sep 2001, 08:32
Lee,

Thank You very much !

By the way, what about a Distance Degree from Australia done here and its accredited by the University.

That's all, Thank you once again !

Best Regards,
Herman :cool:

Lee
22nd Sep 2001, 15:42
Herman,

Distance-Learning degrees are also recognised by the PSC provided that the University awarding them is accredited.

Distance-learning degree programmes are a good way for pilots or wannabes to earn a degree, because it can be done without full-time attendance at a University or done at a distance.

I, too have earned a distance-learning degree, about 10 years ago, but it's just for self-fulfilment. The Mgt does not know about it.

Best wishes and hope to see you on the flight deck soon.

RollsRoyce RB211
22nd Sep 2001, 19:50
Hi MadChinaman,

I am a newbie here. I understand your plight and I am sorry. I was in the same predicament but during the late 80s, the requirements was only 3 'O' Levels and a CPL/IR. But as I had rejected the airforce offer, I couldn't joined SIA. Since then I have gone into business. But yes, I do miss flying but with all these red-tapes set up by our goverment, you are much better off somewhere else. Its lipservice here that they are paying and not much of "I am here to help and assist Singaporeans" quote our P.M.

Take care.

No Cigar
23rd Sep 2001, 16:48
MadChinaman

not all SIA cadet pilots are molesters. So please don't put us all in the same category. I'd like to think that SIA made the right decision with some of us at least.

What Tang did was unforgivable and as a group we can't understand what would have led him to do so and we sympatise for his young victim, but we are not responsible.

What I am trying to say is, if you're seeing it as how this is the way "SIA selects their futue commanders", just because of one bad apple, then I have to say, I'm glad you're not one of us. Why would you want to join a group of hopeless future commanders like us anyway. SIA did well by not selecting you as you're obviously too good for us.

As SIA cadets, we're like family here and when one of us does something so dispicable, we all find it hard to come to terms with it. We all work hard and play hard together, none of us would ever have foreseen such an incident occuring.

On behalf of all cadets undergoing some form of training with SIA at the moment. I would like to say that in my opinion, our honour, integrity & sense of unity is still intact (at least for most of us). We treasure the opportunitry that we've been given to become airline pilots and are working hard to not dissapoint. Please don't judge us as a whole because of the actions of one.

Lee
23rd Sep 2001, 18:15
Feret

Well, you may think Cpt Bey or (MG Bey today) is the "worst poleman" but certainly the RSAF and SQ do not concur with what you think.

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Lee ]

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Lee ]

crl
24th Sep 2001, 08:15
No Cigar,
Great post. Wanted to post a similar posting though it's definitely much better hearing from you.
Ps. Email me if you can find some time out.

Lee,
Not that it matters that much, our Bey is actually LG now.(For those who are not into brass and ranks, LG stands for a 3 star Lt.General; not the Korean Electronic Company that you are more familiar with.)

Finally for our MadChinaman,
What can I say??? The next time one of our Cadet/SO/FO/SFO/Capt/Senior Capt/Mgmt Capt etc get pulled over for a speeding ticket I sincerely hope you are NOT GOING to relate it to your failed attempt in joining SQ. In no way anyone will or can undermine the magnitude of this terrible behaviour of Cadet Tang BUT try comprehend what NO CIGAR is trying to get across to you.
As for your future application/s, why not heed some of the fine advice in getting qualified and play by the rules? Though even then they may still not pick you due to many other reasons???( a potential easily frustrated employee?)
CRL

Lee
24th Sep 2001, 12:36
crl,

Thanks for the update. Cheers

nice_beaver
25th Sep 2001, 21:01
I think you may all be missing the point here...

...it would appear our young friend has been suffering from clinical depression for some years...

point 1. He still managed to pass all the SQ selection criteria and become a cadet.

point 2. he hopes that by paying the fine for his criminal behaviour, his medical history will simply be conveniently forgotten so he can continue his training.

I hope for all concerned that these points be addressed.

Usman
25th Sep 2001, 22:09
In MAS we have Captains who don't even have the minimum Form V flying the B747, even though the airline minimum requirement is a pass equivalent to GCE(0) level. That was changed 15 years ago to fit some siblings of chief pilots.

No wonder they are in debts of RM20 billions even before the WTC incident.

Feret
28th Sep 2001, 14:23
Lee,
Read my post again. For a start I said "one" of the worst poleman. This topic was all to do with education (or so I thought). I was in no way questioning the capability of the man to run the RSAF or SIA. I also said he was a gentleman and I meant that. A well educated, well spoken, gentleman, OK?

You weren't there 20+ years ago so cannot really pass qualified comments on his other attributes, that were apparent at that time. The aces flew fighters then, remember? Come to think of it there was a Lt Lee there at the time so maybe I am wrong on that point.

Cheers

Lee
28th Sep 2001, 17:51
Feret,

I think what you said is "fair comment". BTW, 20+ years ago I was flying the Shorts Skyvan (based at Changi then) and later moved on to the C130, was LTA Lee then, so could we have crossed paths? Are still in the RSAF?
Cheers.