PDA

View Full Version : PTC/Flybe Cadet Programme

jamie811
24th Apr 2008, 11:52
Hi All,

Just got confirmation off ptc that i have got an interview with flybe in waterford next month, i have already done the skills assesment with them and my mark for the tests was high enough all i have to do now is the maths and physics tests, has anyone got any pointers on how to prepare for the interview and what type of questions they might ask??????

Any help appreciated

Jamie

doctordoom
24th Apr 2008, 13:32
Brush up on V speeds, know wot type of Aircraft flybe are using, find out some company background and knowing your met is a big help. It depends on who you get on the day some interviewers go for the tech side of things others go for Met :ok:

Delta Golf Mike
24th Apr 2008, 14:05
Maths and Physics tests??? I was under the impression that it was a skills assessment/interview with PTC and depending on your results, an interview with Flybe :confused:

jamie811
24th Apr 2008, 14:52
Yeah you are right but i did the skills assesment 2 months ago with them and it didnt include the maths and physics test so the mark i got in that was high enough to gain me an interview with flybe as long as i do well also in the maths and physics tests. this is what i was told this morning

planecrazy.eu
24th Apr 2008, 14:55
Skills test is basic "GCSE" maths and physics and verbal/numerical reasoning?

Thought they did that before the interview with FlyBe, obviously not.

I would say the interview is not going to be a Technical one? Your not applying for the job, you applying for the sponsorship status, right?

I would brush up on company history, and all those usual questions, why do you want to........ Why Flybe, where do you see your self in...

I remember a Flybe interviewer asking what winds me up, and how do i unwind. They went though the paper application form and re-asked the question in a slightly different way.

doctordoom
25th Apr 2008, 18:46
If it's not for a job interview, I think the only question they will ask you is how big is your bank account. Good old PTC they have a great sale's team. Best of luck anyway :ok:

Belfastmikey
26th Apr 2008, 21:34
Hi all,

I am heading down to Waterford in a few weeks for the first stage of testing. Just wondering what to expect really. So any help would be great. Also, just wondering what the general feeling's are about the course and the school!? If you pass the initial test's and have a bit of cash, are you more likely to be taken quicker? Alot in here, I know, but any advice would be great.

Cheers

Papa2Charlie
26th Apr 2008, 23:49
Evening all,

I'm a bit confused about this entire scheme, there seems to be next to no information available on it. :ugh: The scheme isn't even listed on the FlyBe website.

Does anyone have any information on how the scheme is structured etc.? I seem to remember the schemes in association with OAA and FTE had alot more information available.

jamie811
27th Apr 2008, 08:48
From what I can gather and what ive been told is...... You go down to Waterford and do the pilapt assessment, then you have a interview with the PTC instructors then if eligible you have an interview with flybe, if your accepted with flybe at the end of the course you will be employed with them with them paying for you MCC and Type rating.

Please correct me if this is untrue!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamie.

jamie811
27th Apr 2008, 08:50
Belfastmikey

What date are you heading down????????

Belfastmikey
27th Apr 2008, 11:36
Booked in for Mid May. Long way down from here! Just wondering what the whole deal is really! I have been for these tests a few years ago, passed but did nothing about it. Just wondering does anyone have more information aside from the stuff advertised!

omaaa
27th Apr 2008, 13:20
hi guys, got my assessment with PTC on tuesday 28th. I live in manchester so il be flying down tomorrow with Aer Arann, just been brushing up my maths n physics.. has anybody already been? if one passes will they be invited again to Waterford for a further interview? (with Flybe)? or will that be done all in the same day once the assessment results are in?

cheers..

mikeintheskies
27th Apr 2008, 14:37
Hi Guys,

Just wondering had you all completed the class one medical prior to appyling?

omaaa
27th Apr 2008, 15:10
I havn't, the lady said we can sort that out after the assessment.. im just trying to find out what kind of maths and physics tests will be included in the assessment. and if they will ask Flybe product related questions at this stage of the assessment?

cheers

2kewl4skewl
16th May 2008, 15:03
Hi,

I had my interview on Tues. How did everyone else get on during the week?

Bradels
18th May 2008, 18:14
hi,
i had interview this week aswell with flybe and got offered a place on the flybe cadet course for June 16th, got to get medical from Dublin and finance sorted in the mean time, has anyone else been offered a place? If anyone wants any information on PTC at Waterford or the flybe interview then feel free to send me a message
Mark

serepiloto
9th Nov 2010, 19:30
My name is David, I´m going to start the first stage in the selection process with PTC, can you tell me somethings about the school, and the cadet program?

Thank you very much

rehman
20th Nov 2010, 16:37
hi I am going for flybe sponsership this year 2010 /2011, can you please tell me something about the questions they asked you at interview / assessment.
Any help will be great. thanks
Rehman.

conk757
16th Dec 2010, 13:19
The training commences in may 2011...
Im really thinking of applying to this course...but the £250 selection fee is putting me off....
Ive got my PPL and going modular with Bristol Ground School...
But the "conditional offer" from flybe if you pass the intergated course may be too good to turn down?
I would like some info on previous year students before i fully commit to paying £250 and putting all my effort getting on to this course.
Conk757

New FO
16th Dec 2010, 21:02
is 250 pounds not a standard fee for an integrated course selection?

hollingworthp
17th Dec 2010, 06:20
The training commences in may 2011...
Im really thinking of applying to this course...but the £250 selection fee is putting me off....
Ive got my PPL and going modular with Bristol Ground School...
But the "conditional offer" from flybe if you pass the intergated course may be too good to turn down?
I would like some info on previous year students before i fully commit to paying £250 and putting all my effort getting on to this course.
Conk757

If you are concerned about £250 'selection fee' (and quite rightly so), how about sitting down with for 5 minutes and working out what the loan repayments will be coupled with the likely net salary for a FlyBe FO and see how much you will have left to pay rent, food, car etc etc. Then decide if it really is too good to turn down.

MrBrightside
21st Dec 2010, 13:20
What exactly is the format for applying to this scheme? It seems all you do is provide your personal details and when you would like to sit a skills assesment? No formal application?

I have heard a few nasty comments about ptc in the past which is worrying. Despite the link with Flybe I think this may be one to steer clear of, in my opinion.

Pilot's Wings
22nd Dec 2010, 17:11
Who will attend this selection ?

chris2309
11th Jan 2011, 11:29
Has anyone else recently applied for the 2011 scheme? Similar to other posters, I entered my details on PTC's website and just got a generic email reply stating the total cost of the course being roughly £72k, and that I should quickly book an assesment day.

Does this scheme include the type rating and does it mean you would be on the starting salary of £25k? Do you also have to factor in living costs for the course too?

MrBrightside
11th Jan 2011, 17:47
The fact that this information is not provided from the outset is quite worrying. It almost feels as if they have something to hide.

At £250 for slection is it any wonder they are looking you to book quickly. Perhaps just me but everything just seems sinister.

rankace
11th Jan 2011, 22:55
of coarse they have a lot to hide cause they will take every cent they can once you sign your contract. i should know.What does PTC stand for
P.....
Taking
Cash
fill in the P as best you can

chris2309
12th Jan 2011, 10:05
They haven't filled me with much confidence to be honest, even their website in general seems very bland, I would have thought in this day and age they would be promting and advertising everything possible to let potential students know as much about them as they could.

The email also suggests that its a normal Integerated ATPL course they are running for Flybe, seems strange considering Flybe are going down the MPL route at other FTOs

Otto Throttle
12th Jan 2011, 22:13
Nothing strange about it at all. Flybe only offer part-sponsored courses at 4 schools - OAA & FTE (MPL only) and Cabair & PTC (ATPL) only.

gabino86
19th Jan 2011, 04:05
I'm currently on the Flybe cadet scheme at the moment. I have just passed my PPL check ride and I am currently in my middle of the ATPL classes. I've heard good and bad about all the FTO's and to be honest I had initially planned on going to FTE because it suited me but the fact that I was accepted on the Flybe scheme I had to pounce at the opportunity and haven't looked back.

PTC are partnered up with FIT Aviation here in Florida who are one the most well recognised training organisations in the States and I have to say the instruction I have received has been brilliant. Before I even started flying I covered JAA PPL material & FAA PPL material (to allow me to fly out here) but it has given me a great foundation for the ATPL's. I also have to commend PTC on their choice of Ground school instructors who I find fantastic!

You might also be interested that representatives from Aer Lingus have been out here quite a few times in recent weeks and have shown a lot of interest as they are planning to hire quite a few pilots in the coming years. Things are looking up!

Anyways my point is take everything with a pinch of salt and don't snub an opportunity like this!

CharlieFly
15th Feb 2011, 00:01
gabino86,

How nice it is to read a truly upbeat and positive post about flight training and becoming a pilot. I am interviewing for a FlyBe cadetship next week and the whole of pprune seems to be so negative towards integrated training.

I completely agree with your view that if I am lucky enough to be offered the position it would be foolish to turn it down.

Do you have any advice / tips for the interview / PTC assessment process.

THanks

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
15th Feb 2011, 16:24
When deciding on your training route, there are many things to consider. But if price is the one that bugs you remember this. At the end of the day, no one owes you a job just because you have your shiny blue book. When the airlines go shopping for pilots you need to be the shiniest product on the shelf. Saving bucks hear and there may save you money in the short term, but a dodgy training record will bite back much harder, of course you could be very gifted at this flying lark and sail through. This, however, is the execption and not the norm. Being on a scheme that is tagged to an airline says this. The airline like the product they get from this FTO! Not every student is happy with their choice of FTO, I know of those who hated being in Florida/Pheonix/Spain, and those who loved it! At the end of the day if YOU think that YOU are happy with your choice, then don't let others put you off due to bad experience. Over the years of trolling through this site I have tended to notice that the majority, not all, but the majority of those you slag of X school or Y FTO, stuggled during their training. Due to personal limitations or external factors is neither hear nor there. The vast majority who do resonably well and get jobs etc etc go on and dont spend the time on Pprune bitching about how they hated the food or this instuctor or that JOC course etc etc.

I would recommend visiting FTOs at their open days or going to the FLYER exhibition to talk to airlines and FTOs directly. From there make a short list of those you are interested in and visit them. Yes it takes time and money to travel but this is a HUGE investment in your future.

pilotarosa
15th Feb 2011, 22:12
finally someone who said the plain truth!!i totally agree with you!:D

MightyDucks
15th Feb 2011, 22:13
Well said BBB,

I don't think too many working pilots spend much time on here. I wouldn't.:ok:

HidekiTojo
16th Feb 2011, 00:07
Go in with your eyes open lads. £80,000 outlay to earn £27k Gross in year 1. You will get based in somewhere like fraggle rock (IOM for the uninitiated)*

Career progression at the moment is limited although it goes look set to improve. Flybe T&C's currently under great threat. Keep watching.*

PTC, OAA, FTE, Cabair all the same they WILL treat you like dirt and take vast sums of money for the privilege. Be under no illusion training is no summer holiday. It's fun but challenging and stressful even for somelike me (all first time passes in minimum time) I found training easy compared to most. Can't imagine it gets any more stressful than repeating an IR or CPL (£2000?!)

PS Anonymity allows for my big head.

pilotarosa
16th Feb 2011, 06:29
27000 for the first 2-3years, then maybe 60.000
i still think we get well paid...i haven't found many boys\girls of my age paid as much as I am, for so little work and so much fun (and I have been doing it for a while now)
I still think a career as a pilot is worthy

HidekiTojo
16th Feb 2011, 10:53
You obviously don't work for Flybe. Next month I'm working 160 duty hours, mixture of lates and earlies, I have 2days off in-between but I finish on say Thursday at 2130 start back to work Sunday at 6am...

I live hundreds of miles away from home. I have 70k debt, I usually run out of money 2weeks after pay day.

All my friends own their own homes have stable relationships, live where they want get to go to all birthdays weddings etc

Do I enjoy my job? Yes but I'm sensible enough to see it for what it is...some days are easy some days are very difficult.

And currently captain year one is £53500. Not 60000.

This Flybe work schedule leaves all us flight crew feeling constantly tired.

There's other jobs out there I'd happily swap this one for, in a previous life I was destined to be a highly paid engineer in a power station. If that opportunity came along again I might just take it.

Mon-fri £80,000 + benefits sit and drink tea most of the day...

(dreamt of flying aeroplanes since age 3)

pilotarosa
16th Feb 2011, 13:24
i worked for flybe for 3 years!..I can understand what you mean but whitout flybe I would have never got the job I got now.
And once you fly the Dash lots of other aircraft are just easy.
PS 60000 plus duty pay not as captain but as FO

kkelly77
16th Feb 2011, 17:34
Hi guys,

am I missing something or is there no information on either PTC or Flybe's websites as regards how much a potential student needs in his/her account? Or any information about the financial structure of the training?

If anyone has this information, can you please post it to the thread? Much appreciated. :ok:

K.

MightyDucks
16th Feb 2011, 20:07
I can't understand why people get so tied up on the first years pay rate for pilots. Of course its going to be crap, have a look at other jobs, your not going to be making top dollar in most company until you work your way up. You might say you've taken out a big loan for your job, well most american's have huge loans to repay after they leave college, its apart of life for them, if you want this job bad enough then you'll get it.

I do agree that people seriously need to have their eyes wide open when taking on training and the job. Its scary how little people know before starting their training.

HidekiTojo
16th Feb 2011, 22:20
Goodluck to those applying for the Flybe scheme it is probably the best way into the industry at present, be prepared for a good, exciting, challenging but expensive and stressful time!

NorthernCounties
17th Feb 2011, 20:27
Just seen a good example of the finance/repayment scheme. Quite expensive! http://www.ftejerez.com/mat/pdf/bbva_terms.pdf

giggitygiggity
17th Feb 2011, 22:47
Got emailed this from PTC to give better ideas about costs.
Notice that the last day you can apply is soon, 28th of April!

The Pilot Training College has recently launched our 2011 Flybe Part Sponsored and Mentored Cadetship.
The Flybe Cadetship programme offers substantial professional benefits to selected trainees:
1. Candidates will be selected by the Pilot Training College and interviewed by Flybe prior to commencement of the course. Completion of the Integrated Training Programme to the required standard will result in a conditional offer of employment with Flybe
2. Successful candidates will have regular contact with the Flybe Liaison Pilot who will be mentoring the course

The first step to see if you are eligible to be considered for the Flybe Cadetship programme is to complete a pilot skills and aptitude assessment. If you are successful at both the assessment stage and interview stage you will be offered a place on the Flybe Cadetship Programme. The training programme that you will complete will take you all the way from a beginner level to a (f)ATPL pilot. The Integrated course will cost €79,500 to complete which at the current exchange rate is £67,836 (exchange rate source is xe.com (http://xe.com/) and is correct as of 11/11/10. Please note this rate may vary)

Please follow the link below for more detailed information.

The Integrated Airline Pilot Programme (http://www.pilottraining.ie/doc/Pilottraining.ie_%20Integrated_2010.pdf)

If you think you have what it takes to be part of the Flybe/Pilot Training College team and are ready to commence training in 2011, then please contact me to schedule your assessment day as soon as possible - places are limited. An assessment time slot can be booked for you for just £249.00. We can take payment by credit/debit card over the phone and once processed, you will receive a detailed preparation pack to help you practise for the day.

We have the following assessment dates available:

Ø Cardiff 6th January 2011
Ø London Heathrow 13th - 14th January 2011
Ø Edinburgh Airport 19th January 2011
Ø Manchester Airport 3rd - 4th February 2011
Ø Birmingham Airport 10th - 11th February 2011
Ø London Heathrow 24th - 25th February 2011

The closing date for applications is 28th February 2011 or subject to availability of assessment dates.
and info on the part sponsored course

Part-Sponsored

Flybe will pay £19,800 in the form of an interest free loan towards the students training fees which will then be repaid by monthly instalments after completion of type rating.

Mentored

Flybe will pay €5250 (approx £5000) of a contribution towards the students training fees which will not have to be repaid to Flybe. The Student will be bonded for 3 years for the cost of the type rating but will not have their salary reduced.

Please feel free to give me a call if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Maureen Thornton
Flight Crew Selection Officer
You do the maths. Part sponsored would only help a bit, though at the end of the day, you only get an MPL so your tied to an airline

CharlieFly
18th Feb 2011, 09:09
The closing date for applications is 28th February 2011 or subject to availability of assessment dates.

GGG I have applied to do the assessment for this, I'm going down to Heathrow next Thursday.

Unfortunately I was initially told that there are no more assessment places available but then got a phone call due to a cancellation, and you have to have done the assessment to be eligible to apply to FLY BE.

flyingmam254
21st Feb 2011, 22:08
Hi can anyone tell me the format of the test? For example if its the compass test first with maths and physics questions after/ or are they all in the compass test? What kind of questions did the ask you in the interview?

thanks

Jools508
24th Feb 2011, 07:17
Hi,

Did my assessment earlier this year, started the day with all the candidates doing a presentation on each other followed by a team building exercise. There was a maths and aircraft general knowledge written paper and then the COMPASS tests which included another maths test.
The interview is just about you, no trick questions.

Hope this helps

teawhite&none
24th Feb 2011, 09:06
I believe it's a full ATPL course at PTC rather than the MPL (flybe do run MPL courses but as far as I know these have been at Oxford and FTE).

CharlieFly
26th Feb 2011, 11:53
I am currently trying to get on to the FlyBe Cadet Program and even if I miss out on that PTC is looking like a good option. But having searched through the posts on here about PTC the general feeling is, well I can't say brilliant.

I understand that there is a few people who have an issue with their advertising, and PR campaigns this however is not what I'm interested in.

What I would like to know, if anyone out there can help, Preferably ex students or current ones, is what the course is truly like.

Are the aircraft that are used in Florida as new and up to date as they say?
Is the instruction Good, and are the class sizes as small as they say?
Do you feel that the training course structure works, i.e. mixing flying and ground school.

I do not want this to turn this thread into a PTC bashing I just want to hear some facts from students that have actually experienced it.

flyingmam254
26th Feb 2011, 16:54
HI Charlie, did you do the aptitude test, how did you get on?

CharlieFly
26th Feb 2011, 18:56
jugs08, When you say you've done the assessment do you mean the PTC admission day selection process?

Holding Pool? Do you mean for FlyBe's interviews?

And as for enrolling I'll probably be able to answer this when you have answered the above.

Jugs08
28th Feb 2011, 14:22
Yes i mean the PTC admission and selection day.

CharlieFly
28th Feb 2011, 16:20
If your in the FlyBe Sift then they are looking through all the candidates this week and should let you knwo before thursday is you have an interview or not.

As for enrolling with PTC first to get the chance of a PTC interview thats a definite NO. I am waiting to see if I get an interview and then the cadetship. If that happens I'll enroll but if not I'm back to making a decision as to which FTO to go to to do the ATPL.

Back to the my post earlier, anyone got any thoughts on the PTC course???

What I would like to know, if anyone out there can help, Preferably ex students or current ones, is what the course is truly like.

Are the aircraft that are used in Florida as new and up to date as they say?
Is the instruction Good, and are the class sizes as small as they say?
Do you feel that the training course structure works, i.e. mixing flying and ground school.

I do not want this to turn this thread into a PTC bashing I just want to hear some facts from students that have actually experienced it.

MUFC_fan
15th Mar 2011, 00:03
Am I right in thinking these have now heard?

BigGrecian
15th Mar 2011, 00:38
€79,500

Ouch you can train for half that modularly!

pistinaround
15th Mar 2011, 06:21
Ouch alright !!

Its not even a real job when you have to pay to go to work. But thats been done to death:ugh:

First time I have ever heard of being put in a holding pool for a flying school:confused:

redbull7
15th Mar 2011, 09:20
MUFC fan: heard what back??

MUFC_fan
15th Mar 2011, 09:52
Sorry - the 'Cadetships'

redbull7
15th Mar 2011, 09:55
What if they have got an interview or there actual place on the cadetship?

MUFC_fan
15th Mar 2011, 11:12
Am I right in thinking that the people who have had interviews have found out as to whether they have got a place as a Flybe cadet?

Jugs08
3rd Apr 2011, 23:58
Yes; found out about 2 weeks ago how did it go?

G1991
5th Apr 2011, 22:53
I got a place. Anyone else?

Thanks

G1991

redbull7
6th Apr 2011, 11:46
I also got in G1991!!!!

see youin America!!

RB

cd7007
9th May 2011, 20:41
I'm in with a place as well!

Shame Friday isn't going ahead...

See you guys in the US!

cdj

Jugs08
9th May 2011, 21:01
Hi Guys i Know its a shame...i'm, still waiting on my Visa from the Embassy I hope it comes ASAP so i can still go!. Has anyone else got their visa back? Or anything from Flybe/Ptc?