PDA

View Full Version : Longest Winter PPL Training?

Tamar217
24th Apr 2008, 11:10
Hi all.

I started my PPL back in late Jan/ early Dec and due to the bad weather my test has now been cancelled for the 4th time and put back to mid next week where the weather isn't looking very good either.

I was wondering if anyone could cheer me up by posting their winter PPL completion times at UK clubs? (preferably longer than mine!)

civil aviation
24th Apr 2008, 14:50
:ugh: A sadly familar tale (and not just in Winter or Spring) but you must have been warned about this beforehand by the CFI or were they only wanting your money?

It's easy to understand why Flight training clubs in the UK cannot compete with the US. How many hours (how much has it all cost you) to date?

Can't see the point of bothering and paying loads more in the UK unless your job or relationship means you aren't allowed to go to the US for 2 or 3 weeks.

Shunter
24th Apr 2008, 15:19
When I started my PPL (end of Jan '06) it took me 3 months to notch up my first 20 hours and go solo. The weather was truly atrocious, worse even than this year. I had a flexible job near the airport and could get out at a moment's notice, but the weather just wasn't playing.

Eventually the weather changed and I charged through the rest of it in about 3 weeks, passing my skills test with 43hrs in the logbook. Don't get too disheartened by the weather, it happens to all of us.

America can be good, but there are also plenty of horror stories. Whilst you stand a better chance with the weather you've got unexpected shortages of aircraft/instructors to contend with, time constraints, visa hassles etc...

I'm sure you won't have to wait much longer.

nickyjsmith
24th Apr 2008, 15:51
Started in Dec 05, was ready for solo after 15hrs, had to wait 3 months for weather, finally got it in June 06.

Cracked on, weather permitting and was ready for solo land away in sept 06. Finally got it done in Feb 07 due to weather.

Was ready for QXC in march 07 and due to work and lots of bad weather (25 cancellations!!) i got it done in late sept 07.

Mock test cancelled at least 6-8 times and got it in just before xmas and the bad weather!

Now Apr 08 and am just about current again with everything now i need a test again!

Biggest concern now is my exams run out in Oct 08 as i did them all to get them out the way. My advice, leave one easy exam untill just before your test, play the system.

In hind sight, i would have gone abroad to get the ppl and then come back for 10 hrs lessons to get up to speed with the uk airspace before doing an imc and night. It would have also saved me the 20 odd hours i have used keeping current to pay for the imc. A big chunck of hours building some where warm me thinks.

Keep your chin up and keep going!

All the best,

Nick.:ok:

russellmounce
24th Apr 2008, 15:58
I booked my 1st skills test in Nov 06, and finally took it in April 07.

Unfortunately, I was working at the time, so was only able to book weekend tests, or book a day off and then waste it if the weather wasn't up to par. I must of cancelled about 10-15 times.:ugh:

Got there in the end, and now I'm about to start my ATPL. Don't let the weather get you down too much.

The Ginger Prince
24th Apr 2008, 18:59
It doesn't get any better either.......started my 25hr CPL course at the start of Feb, still pending a 170a and a flight test to date. I believe that flying in the UK develops an almost superhuman ability to be patient in the face of appalling weather and excessive costs.:(

Tamar217
24th Apr 2008, 23:27
Well i do feel a bit bad now for complaining as you have all been through much worse than I have!

You are right about the patience though it really develops, i would go to america but don't for a few reasons

1) I have 2 jobs so I work evenings and weekends (and therefore have no social life!) to save up for flying during the week. Also, being 19 means I can live at home and eat for free, so even though it is much more expensive here, the benefits of a good income and small expenditure whilst learning in a known UK flight school outweigh the cheapness of rolling the dice with America

2) I want to become a flight instructor and i'm hoping if i do all the licences with one school they will hire me at the end!

ect, The irony of all this though is that if I go any faster, I will bankrupt myself and have to start taking loans from my family to cover the lessons, but as i work on rainy days i have just about made up the £6000 or so i spent on the PPL, also all the hours i fly over the 45 to stay test ready count as hour building to the CPL

So its not all bad news.... But try telling that to family and friends, not to mention yourself!