PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Airlines

dtnflyer
23rd Apr 2008, 22:51
Does anyone have any info on this company? I read the Vietnam airlines thread and have a general idea about living there. I googleed them and have a basic outline of the company but have some other questions:

QOL?
Schedules ?
Commuting (Hawaii Commuter)? Can u fly on Aussie carriers since they own part of Pacific?
Chances of upgrade?
are the A320's still on their way?
How does aussies owning minority stake affect the future of this company? good I expect
Are there pilots leaving this airline or are they hiring for growth?

Looking at my options overseas and new to the Contract thing thanks for replying. Will be commuting from Hawaii to future jobs in this part of the world hopefully.:ok:

cjam
28th Apr 2008, 03:40
They have been advertising, I'm interested in the f/o slots. I am trying to work out if it is ok money or not. They say you take home $6400 USD per month which includes the accomodation allowence and an allowence for travel. They also say that the before tax salary is $9000USD. Is the tax rate really that high?
Can anyone living in Ho Chi Minh give an idea of what sort of lifestyle that would provide ?
Does it have a good reputation as a safe carrier? Cheers.

Dream Land
28th Apr 2008, 04:14
Suggest you do a search on "Jetstar Pacific". :ok:

Tony Hirst
28th Apr 2008, 08:06
This (http://www.pacificairlines.com.vn/News19.aspx) should answer some questions.

Dream Land
28th Apr 2008, 14:59
This should answer some questionsYes if you're Vietnamese! :}

Tony Hirst
28th Apr 2008, 16:06
Oh, oh well. Just go to the home page and look for Jetstar then :\

VNAv8r
30th Apr 2008, 05:43
I have been living a commuting lifestyle in VN, HCM/ Saigon... and working/flying in the USA. I will try to answer specific questions about the nuts and bolts of life here. Will not answer why I am doing it, other than its my game and it has an end plan that fits my situation, rather simple ... I wish..... :-)

If I can be of assistance....

BB

Layover
1st May 2008, 04:28
Can you give mean idea of how much income tax you have to pay on your salary in Vietnam?

Thanks,

Layover

dtnflyer
1st May 2008, 07:57
VNAv8R what is the rent for a two or three bed apartment in a nice part of town? I read about $1000-1500 is this accurate, and how much would you be spending on essentials like groceries and travel by cabs or is the public transportation very reliable.

What is the reputation of this airline considering you seem to be a local who does not work for them?

How is the health care system there i.e. hospitals?

Could you also talk about the negative things about living there, sound like a fun place to experience but not reading much negative news about Vietnam which is good I guess?

Oh yah on the pacific airlines website on the top right hand corner you can change the web site to english if you have not noticed.

747jetdriver
1st May 2008, 10:26
Well please educate us rest here that is US FAA rated and want to get om board.

Dream Land
1st May 2008, 11:02
A lot of information is already covered on the Vietnam Airlines thread, a three bedroom apartment in the "good" part of town is $2500.00 plus per month, I consider district 1, Anh Phu and Phu My Hung the good area. :eek:

If the contract is anything like mine it will say that Vietnamese taxes have been paid, in which case it's tax free.

cjam
2nd May 2008, 07:09
The contract I am looking at for Pacific 73 f/o is $6400 a month US after tax. total.
I am contemplating this for two reasons, one for a bit of an adventure, and two, to save a little bit of money. In your opinion VNav8r , if I lived in share accomadation , could I have a good standard of living on that sort of money while saving a little as well....say $1000 a month? plus two trips to ausi per year. cheers.

cjam
3rd May 2008, 12:32
thanks for taking the time, cheers

dtnflyer
4th May 2008, 06:26
Thanks for the info,

will 737 ex-pats be able to transition over to the A320? or when JetStar Pacific is all done with the 737 the expats job will be terminated with none able to transition over?

Thanks again

cjam
5th May 2008, 01:15
Hey Captain P,
I'm still trying to figure out if $6400 USD a month net is good money or not when you are living there. Would you consider it to be better than $100k Ausi a year gross living in Ausi? I'm after an opinion on money, not lifestyle etc. I know many people would prefer to be in Ausi but I am keen on a few years of adventure, seeing something new etc. Cheers.

Dream Land
5th May 2008, 04:45
cjam, wasn't addressed to me but I will try to give you an answer, if you are good about managing your money, you will have no problem having fun and putting some money in the bank, you could probably share a accommodation for around 400 to 500 without a problem, you can buy a little moped for $1000 new, if that's not your style, taxis are dirt cheap, to dry clean a pair of pants, about .70 cents, beer is about one dollar, mobile phone bills for me run about 50 dollars per month, food is cheap, easy to go out and spend less than $7.00 per person which includes lots of beer, if you net $6,400.00 that still leaves a lot at the end of the month. Also, a coach ride to the nearest resort from HCM is about $7.00 for the four hour trip, when you arrive, most rooms are between $4.00 to $60.00, three course meal for $6.00. Hope this helps.

dtnflyer
5th May 2008, 07:47
Thanks for the info guys