PDA

View Full Version : Rnzaf A400m

tartare
23rd Apr 2008, 20:37
I seem to remember hearing a while back that the RNZAF were keeping a close eye on the A400M as a C130 replacement.
Can anyone confirm and/or update?

gsf
23rd Apr 2008, 21:25
The C130's are currently undergoing extensive refurbishment and modification to extend their life, so I would imagine the A400 is so far on the back burner it would be out of sight.

Flyingblind
23rd Apr 2008, 22:33
I have to first declare that i have not been keeping a close eye on this, but knowing of Helen's parsimony for all things mill, would it not be wise to put the Herc's through said program and then sit back and wait for LocMart to fully smarten up the J and keep options open regards real world performance of the A400M?

Seems like a good way of doing business to me, I.E sit back and watch from the sidelines without spending large amounts of your hard earned till the frames have been proven.

Would the 757/C130 update/A400M provide too much capacity to Kiwi forces? or is there no such thing in todays world?

Honest question.

Lepper Messiah
23rd Apr 2008, 22:57
I remember reading that it was on their wish list as a replacement for the herc. The life extention program is only supposed make it last until around 2017,- so maybe after then....?

belowMDA
24th Apr 2008, 02:19
Flyingblind, helen and her henchmen were not terribly parsimonious when it came to the LAV's now were they? Anything that can be used in a humanitarian manner I suspect she is keen on. All academic anyway as she will be gone by the end of the year, provided the nation come to their senses.
What is the capability and price difference between a J model herc and the 400m anyone know?

ZK-NSJ
25th Apr 2008, 06:07
last i saw enzed could get the j-model pretty much straight away,where as the a400m hasnt entered service yet, throw in a couple of c-17's to boot, and if air nz leans towards the 737ng, maybe some p-8a's to replace the orions

Konev
25th Apr 2008, 11:09
Let get some Tu95s to replace the P3Ks.

But on a more serious note yes the NZ military chiefs have certainly made a big shift towards European equipment, the only sign against this was mentioned of M16s (popped up with the A400s i think) for the army which i consider an absurd proposition. less time we continue using the 5.56 round the better.

This might also be because of the current international political climate regarding the USA as well as the afore mentioned reasons.

Tends to keep our 'neutrality' in place, by that i mean the 'everyone loves a kiwi' thing that we have :D