PDA

View Full Version : Stansted Runway Blocked?

Seat62K
23rd Apr 2008, 05:30
Spent around 25 minutes yesterday evening (22 April) in stack en route to Stansted; message from the flight deck was that we couldn't land because an aircraft had to be towed from the runway. This was around 7.30pm. Does anyone know what happened? Just curious! Thanks.

stoneyrosetreered
23rd Apr 2008, 08:09
I was told an aircraft burst a tire and did some other serious damage, a lot of debris on the runway. The guy hinted at Ryanair but I think it was just speculation.

easy1
23rd Apr 2008, 08:23
It was a 146 had problems with his gear, on the runway for 25 mins fire trucks followed as it was tugged off the runways. Nothing major

marsipulami
23rd Apr 2008, 08:49
Was there when it happened, couldn't leave. Runway closed and airborne traffic holding overhead Abbot. Indeed it was an 146 from SAS, sat on the runway for a while before towed away. Luckily nothing serious after all.
Great to see how the airport responded and took care of the situation. Well done!

blackmail
23rd Apr 2008, 10:17
gear problems seems to haunt sas ?

TCOPS
23rd Apr 2008, 14:04
This aircraft departed LCY and Dirverted to STN.

skippercgn
23rd Apr 2008, 14:17
a 146 for SAS. Which company is that, flying for SAS then ?

Throat
23rd Apr 2008, 14:22
Transwede ____

Mardavi
23rd Apr 2008, 16:26
Just spoke with one of the passengers, not anyone into aviation but they said that 7 minutes after departure from LCY the crew indicated they needed to land at Stansted and were not sure whether the nose wheel would withstand the landing, he said the aircraft was "all over the runway" on landing.

Capt Ted Crilly
23rd Apr 2008, 17:03
hey stoney,

which "guy" hinted it was fr???????

that is sucha random statement i would really apprecaite it if you could elobarate on this a bit.

ted

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

AdamC
23rd Apr 2008, 18:03
Last night about 2330 local I saw a Ryanair 738 on a stand with a burst tyre with the right engine actually on the floor - Does anybody have any info on this? - Can't find anything at all!

stoneyrosetreered
23rd Apr 2008, 19:54
Hello CTC,

It's not random at all he saw a Ryanair B738 on stand or partially on stand in quite bad shape, with debris around the area, that together with the runway closure gave the assumption that the RYR738 was involved.

Capt Wannabe
23rd Apr 2008, 19:55
Last night about 2330 local I saw a Ryanair 738 on a stand with a burst tyre with the right engine actually on the floor - Does anybody have any info on this? - Can't find anything at all!

Don't think it was on a stand as such - more a case of RH MLG in the mud from what I hear.

Seems it was pushed back off one of the end stands ready for a tow and the gear got a bit familiar with the grass......:ooh: Looks like it sank a bit.

AdamC
23rd Apr 2008, 20:12
Don't think it was on a stand as such - more a case of RH MLG in the mud from what I hear.

Seems it was pushed back off one of the end stands ready for a tow and the gear got a bit familiar with the grass......:ooh: Looks like it sank a bit.

Well it was dark outside! I only saw it due to the lovely flashing lights around it! :ugh:

Thanks for the info, been bugging me all day! :D

whose ya daddy!
23rd Apr 2008, 20:57
FR EI-DLF was definately in the Mud after an attempted transfer by tug from a Juliet stand to a remote stand. BAA lifting equip very quick on scene. Be good to know the eventual outcome and if any major damage was sustained.

pattern_is_full
23rd Apr 2008, 21:20
So was there some kind of convivial celebration going on in NE London yesterday? Sounds like almost everyone was a bit unsteady on their feet - err, gear?

:ouch: