PDA

View Full Version : why all the doom and gloom? also other questions

adriandecleir
22nd Apr 2008, 19:28
Hi ,
Sorry about the long post just want to clear up a few things I am thinking about , if in your spare time you could help it would be really great.

You might see that Ive put up another thread about getting an apprenticeship, I actually misinformed you here as it is only a 2 and a half year apprenticeship that will allow me to be a technician not a licensed engineer. Just some questions, ill try my best not to repeat questions that are probably always being put up,

1:Seeing as Ill only be a technician after 2 and a half years, would it also be possible for me to begin studying now for a license myself? Or would i be going way ahead of myself with absolutely zero experience or knowledge?

2: I'm still a bit clueless about licenses etc, so Im just wondering do I have to rely on a company or college to achieve a license or can this be done independantly(pay for it myself?). I ask because from reading old threads on here , I hear people complaining about not being trained for a B1 etc, and being told it will be years before they do get trained.

Most important question is;

3: Why all the doom and gloom? Is it really a tough underpayed career to be in for the future for any particular reason. I know you cant predict a market but will there be less work available in the future? Are all airlines moving to countries with less payed staff. Its just Ive done alot of reading on forums over the last few days and alot of people seem to really have very negative opinions about the job. Although I admit some of these are dated as far back as 3 or 4 years ago.

At the risk of sounding greedy or snobby I dont want to be broke in my late 30s or 40s,(25 now). Im not talking about a yacht and porsche, just a realistic good standard of living. I am willing to work very hard for it, I dont expect it to be handed on a plate but just dont want alot of study and alot of work experience to be in vein, i.e. turning around at that age and realising I am no better off than I would be if Id stayed as a floor assistant in tescos for 20 years.

Sorry I know this is all a bit negative but I guess Im just looking for reassurance that the job is worth it, both in job satisfaction and money.
Anyway thanks

The Dodger
23rd Apr 2008, 10:09
Hi AC. I have just started myself in the Civillian Aviation industry and from what I have seen and been told, it depends on who you are working for. You might end up working for an airline that gives everything to it's engineers, while others would be the Aviation version of Scrooge. As the old saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. I finished in the military and the civillian aviation industry is way better to that of Military aviation but thats from my perspective. There are folks I know who have worked all thier lives in civilian avaition. Some have had fantastic careers while others have not. You are always going to find people moaning about something, with doom and gloom etc, but hey, that's life. I don't think there are any major problems in the Airline industry but you never can tell whats around the corner.:hmm:

spannersatcx
23rd Apr 2008, 10:36
In EASA the term Licenced Engineer is no more, it's Cat A maintenance certifying mechanic or Cat B Line/Base Maintenance certifying Technician. The term Engineer is now only used for Cat C Base Maintenance Certifying Engineer.

You need to clarify what qualification you will be getting at the completion of your training, a Cat A or Cat B?

Beeline
23rd Apr 2008, 10:53
The two and a half years will fly by, it will also give you a good grounding in basic engineering practices hand and technical to becoming a competant aircraft engineer, many licenced schemes do not put high enough emphasis on this anymore.

I completed a non-licenced apprenticeship and then proceeded to complete my tickets off my own back using Licence by post, www.club66pro.co.uk (http://www.club66pro.co.uk) etc.

Moaning unfortuanatly is the engineering culture, im fully licenced and typed but most of the old boys still and will always have a chip on their shoulder with regards to a pup coming through the ranks. None the less they moan but but most have VAST experience you cannot dream of so use it to your advantage and LEARN.

As you have guessed i am relatively young but really enjoy the job, I work unplanned maintenance/Casualty that really keeps you on your toes! Pay is pretty good too when you get your licences and can get to higher grades.

Any other Q's just write them up!

B :ok:

doncas
23rd Apr 2008, 12:26
adriandecleir,

I know which crowd are training you up and the time will certainly fly by. You will be given the opportunity to take EASA66 exams to the A level grade. My advice is to go all the way and take the B1 / B2 exam where possible. SA run exams every three months or so and anyone can take them. Carlow also run exams as do DIT. There's plenty of opportunity to get the exams. As for the experience. Get yourself a logbook from the IAA, and write everthing down and get it stamped by your shift leader / supervisor.

Career prospects are good so long as you work hard. Get through the sh1te of working for peanuts as a trainee and you'll work your salary up nicely!

If you want any more info let me know!

D

adriandecleir
23rd Apr 2008, 13:50
cheers for the replies, nice to see some positives about the whole thing because I really cant wait to start the job itself!! I see what you mean by the moaning, I guess you will always have people like that in any jobs.
Anyway Doncas thats a great relief to hear, I should have asked more questions about that kind of stuff in the interview but I didnt know as much details about what I was getting into, license wise etc. Ill take on your advice about the logbook too.

Ill throw up more questions if I think of them,thanks !!

smudgethecat
23rd Apr 2008, 17:40
Go for it mate, once you have your ticket and a few approvals the pays reasonable, im on around 45k basic, (that includes shift pay and approval pay), shift pattern is as most line stations four on four off, i made around 55k last year, however plenty of guys made over 60k so the dosh is there if you want it, plenty more to be made if you want to work as a contractor.

mrcabbage
24th Apr 2008, 08:13
Beeline has it right-'Moaning unfortuanatly is the engineering culture'.
I joined civvy street after doing some time in the RAF. I worked a night shift and couldn't get over the huge pay rise in comparison!
I did work with a bunch of moany old buggers though.
It was BEA versus BOAC, people complaining about the slow erosion of privelidges and general decay of their terms and conditions.
They were actually correct on the latter and it continues to this day.

But we are all individuals and react in different ways-generally the engineers way seems to be a lot of banter and micky taking, but then get on with the job in hand.... which is great.
We all seem to know someone, as we would have worked with them at some stage in the past, or know someone who knows someone we have worked with in the past etc.....
It is a good life if we are able to get on with it and not have to worry about the lack of tools and equipment,poor facilities,poor management or latterly the 'sword of Damocles' hanging over our heads courtesy of the 'Beancounters'.
In a nutshell if you do make a start now and get your head down, you'll certainly not be a pauper in your thirties-but you'll have to be prepared to see a 'slow erosion of your terms and conditions' and fight the instinct to become a moany old bugger. Also be prepared to perhaps have to do some work overseas.
This industry in my opinion is in desperate need of new licenced engineers and you would be most welcome......
:D