PDA

View Full Version : Making things better for the passenger - What we pay

Xeque
22nd Apr 2008, 16:29
I left this bit for last because I knew the general level of response to the previous 4 sections would concentrate on the premise that Economy Class passengers do not pay enough.

Wrong. If anyone is at fault then it is the airlines themselves competing with each other to offer the lowest fares. Of course passengers go for the lowest fares on offer - just as we look for the cheapest petrol or food on supermarket shelves. But buying the cheapest petrol does not mean that it should damage the engine of my car just as the cheapest foods shouldn't damage my health!

All that's needed is a simplification of the fare structure in line with operating one-class aircraft. Charge a standard fare per seat/sector that accurately reflects hull write down or leasing, that covers all operating costs and overheads (excluding fuel).

One variable has to be the cost of fuel. With fuel prices as volatile as they are presently the only solution must be to recalculate the seat/sector fuel cost on a daily basis and add it separately to the standard fare at the time of booking just as the LCC's do now.

But in the end the airline should cover all its costs and make enough on top of that to cover the cost of acquiring new aircraft when that becomes necessary.

As for bonuses to management and shareholders - well, that's their business. To cover things like that let them add as much as the market will stand.

There are lots of other ways to raise income without unduly upsetting passengers.

For a start I have never understood why beverages served on aircraft should be free. Duty Free? Yes. Free of charge? No. They are not free in hotels or on cruise ships so why should they be free on aircraft?

Is it because collecting money is too much of a problem for cabin crews? The Low Cost Carriers don’t seem to have a problem with that.

Paying for drinks will also put some restraints on binge drinking which, in many cases, leads to instances of anti-social behaviour and air rage.

The basic food service (included in the ticket price) can be topped up with paid for value added items.

On most airlines the meals served might not be inspired but they are edible. Provided I am not hounded by cabin staff wishing to get the whole thing over as quickly as possible, I usually quite enjoy my in-flight meal(s) accompanied by a complimentary glass or two of wine. But there are occasions when I would like a little more.

So, why not also offer a priced supplementary menu and wine list from which passengers may select items to supplement or compliment the basic meal or even choose a different meal altogether? I’d go for that!

This could all be arranged on-line during or after the reservation process.

The in-flight entertainment system fitted in most modern passenger aircraft is computer controlled and can therefore be operated in any number of different ways.

Passengers can be offered a movie, music, the moving map and the aircraft exterior cameras for free as usual but with an option to pay for alternative entertainment from the system (music, movies, games etc) and which can be delivered specifically to their seat at times of their choosing. This could be arranged on-line when booking or could be arranged directly with the cabin staff after departure.

And if someone would like the extra comfort of a flat bed to sleep on during an overnight long haul flight then why not offer a few of those as a value added extras as well just as they used to do back in 1950 on the old Pan Am/BOAC Stratocruisers. (see - nothings new)

As for payment, most people carry at least one credit card these days. At the commencement of the flight or during the subsequent service cabin crew can swipe passenger credit cards into a hand held device and open an electronic ‘tab’ for them.

At the same time the credit card can be verified using the aircraft telephone system – either the existing system that is available in the IFE hand controller or (since the technology appears to be in existence now) the same means by which the airlines hope to allow passengers to use their cell phones in flight.

As the passenger purchases beverages or value added items during the flight the charges are automatically added to the ‘tab’.

At the end of the flight the ‘tabs’ can be electronically ‘closed’ and a receipt for the amount spent given to each passenger. The revenue generated is then added to that flights ‘balance sheet’.

And yes, I have seen the spoof airline safety clip that is circulating on YouTube - I think it's very funny.

smala01
22nd Apr 2008, 21:21
No thanks mate.

I’m quite happy flying on a "marginal cost" basis on the loco`s. Cramped maybe but I have enjoyed many a foreign city that I wouldn’t otherwise have considered at a more expensive price.

Smala01

groundhand
23rd Apr 2008, 08:14
Xeque

What you are advocating in the latter half of your post would increase the base costs to passengers for their seat.

Airlines in general have very sophisticated cost models and yield management systems. The majority of airlines get this balance right; some don't and they fail.

GH

call100
23rd Apr 2008, 10:26
Better people than yourself are successfully running airlines/airports at a profit which is what they are supposed to do.
It's easy to sit at home and dream up schemes that will have no consequences for yourself. It would also be better if you actually had some knowledge of the airlines and their individual circumstances.
While they can get people to pay as little as possible for as little as possible then nothing will change.
Either quit whining or quit flying.

VAFFPAX
23rd Apr 2008, 10:29
There are several airlines already who do the whole "you pay for your seat on the ticket, anything else is extra" thing. They're called budget airlines.

Even full-fare airlines do the "food costs extra" thing. EI and IB do that already, BA has always done so with 'premium' items (like more expensive alcoholic beverages).

S.

tablelover
23rd Apr 2008, 11:37
Xeque

Dude chill out and stick to what you know. As many people have stated over your several strange posts - there are professionals well versed in the industry that are able to run it fine. Yes there are several points that could be improved in my humble opinion but you look at them all seperately rather than together. Airlines have limited resources ie. income from pax/cargo, and assign this to what they believe is the most cost effective way. But you only seem to continually criticise the airlines. Individual security checks at each gate? Recalculate fuel costs etc on a daily basis? What if u purchase a ticket some time in advance and the cost of fuel goes up hugely? You then have to pay more before being allowed on? You would be well advised it is a business and creating computer programmes to do this, adding extra dutys to cabin crew to swipe your card either at the start or during an already busy service really is lunacy. And carrying several different meals for variety just shows a lack of appreciation of the logistics involved. Weight is at a premium as indeed are space and time. Drinks on flights are not free as you say, they have already been paid for when paying your ticket. Paying for these will not stop drinking excessively, but lead to accusations that crew are taking advantage of drunk passengers who keep paying for drinks on the longer routes. People dont want one-class aircraft, they want choice - like when the drinks trolley comes round! Major airlines make huge amounts primarily from first and business - especially on the north atlantic routes. Videos on demand and at a set time, having discussed it with the cabin staff during the flight is hugely unrealistic. It would require some sort of system operator to input it all thus adding a member of crew on every flight that will need to be paid for by you. May I take this time to remind you the crew are there for your safety primarily.

I could go on but have lost interest, suffice to say your several rants, make sense when looked at independently perhaps, but the reality of the industry, logistics and stated desire to keep things competitive contradict everything you say.

PAXboy
25th Apr 2008, 10:03
You may have a point in high principal but not in 21st century economics!
If anyone is at fault then it is the airlines themselves competing with each other to offer the lowest fares.Dash those airlines for making themselves so competitive in the way that all human enterprise has competed with itself. Why can't they break the homo sapiens stereotype and charge a proper price and go out of business?

Of course passengers go for the lowest fares on offer - just as we look for the cheapest petrol or food on supermarket shelves. But buying the cheapest petrol does not mean that it should damage the engine of my car just as the cheapest foods shouldn't damage my health!If you think the seat/other aspect of the flight will damage your health - then you don't buy it.

Humans have long since decided that, Money (in whatever form) is of great importance and that each individual company or person must get - and retain - as much money as they can.

Sorry Xeque, a well intentioned post, I am sure, and railing against the world can be fun. Next.

Flying_Frisbee
6th May 2008, 08:23
I'm looking at booking flights for me, the missus and son. BA and KLM are looking like 700 and 1100 euros respectively both involving a change.
Ryanair direct flights including "extras" like airport check in and baggage are coming in at under 300 euros. Origin and destinations for me are comparable as I live between them- FR from Hahn, BA & KLM from LUX. Destinations also comparable- PIK for FR or GLA for the other 2.
I also noticed that the top 4 or 5 BA fares actually aren't connecting! you come in to one of either LHR, LGW or LCY then make your own way to one of the others for departure!
Why FR don't just advertise the "real" fare up front is beyond me. For a substantial number of people, they'd still be cheaper.

Skintman
7th May 2008, 11:47
Sorry Xeque

Ttoo long a post for my gold fish mentaility. Though interesting, I got fed up reading half way through and gave up. Sorry

Brevity is king.

Skintman.