PDA

View Full Version : Want to fly "Air America Style" !

freightdog95
13th Jan 2002, 21:06
Hi !

Whats the job situation in Asia like right now ?
Any chance for an expatriate like me to land a job flying a small turbine twin, like a twin otter/king air for a temporary assignment ?
What about temporay work authorization and stuff ?
Hold FAA ATP and 1800 TT.

:)

JJflyer
13th Jan 2002, 21:43
Africa seems to be your place... As there are still plenty of opportunities to "Fly Air America style"

Bus429
14th Jan 2002, 06:10
Try American operator VisionAir (DO 228) out of Mulu in Sarawak (Borneo).

freightdog95
14th Jan 2002, 18:39
Any contact info on Vision Air ?

JJflyer
14th Jan 2002, 21:27
Vision is pulling their DO228´s back to Las vegas. They are virtually out of business. They have furloughed most of their pilots in US and all the part-time guys are gone. It is actually a group of compnies that all hold AOC´s. Simple tactic if one go´s bust or certificate is yanked, use the an other.
In the days of glory. That is when flying in the Grand Canyon was still allowed they had a whole tribe of Navajos ( Chieftains PA31´s ) flying back and forth to the big crack. I think best was 11 total. Then they had an odd bird Piper 1040 A turbine Chieftain. Only a few of those where ever made. Later came the Dorniers. They had just 1 that came about 3 months before I moved on.

Management is a ruthless bunch, not much different form the rest of the industry. Their Director of Ops, also know as the fata.s as he is quite large by any standards, really hates pilots. Perhaps it has something to do about getting canned from Hawaiian. Pilots that flew while I was with them where mostly a nice bunch. We had a great time together and I still keep in touch with guys flying for them.

freightdog95
15th Jan 2002, 01:25
So, forget about vision air. Now, what about Thailand and the Philippines, any good flying around there ?
What I'm looking to fly is a twin otter, king air, BE1900 or similar.
Passenger or cargo-doesn't matter. Both bush- and "normal" flying would be OK.

Iso
17th Jan 2002, 13:51
JJ, not quite right there young chap. The operation is still going strong(?), but now fully transfered and operated by Malaysians, Regn, maintenance, pilots, FTL's etc.

My understanding is that the American company of Vision Air still has an interest in the operation, albeit under the auspise of the Malaysian DCA.

With the way the pilot industry is generally, both in Malaysia and worldwide, the company is only employing Malaysian pilots at this time. But all the same, give them a try. You will need to be endorsed on the Dornier and accept local pay.