PDA

View Full Version : SECPL them add Multi or MECPL???

sparx007
22nd Apr 2008, 15:06
Hi all,

looking at doing CPL sometime soon. Just wondered what the pros and cons were regarding dioing a SE CPL and then adding a multi engine rating with IR for example or doing the ME with the CPL and then doing IR?? Are there any differences in the costs, tests etc etc. Is it maybe best to do the SE CPL and then do the MEIR on the a/c you will be doing the IR on thus giving a better continuity and currency on the aircraft for the IR. Any info much appreciated. Cheers all, Sparx007

CAT3C AUTOLAND
22nd Apr 2008, 15:22
As you know you can do it either way mate. Personally I would do the SE CPL. Doing the MEP CPL will make the test a little more trickey, where you will be given a one engine inoperative section on the test. With minimum experience on the twin it will make the test more demanding. On saying that, doing it in the twin you won't have to do a PFL.

Only my thoughts, good luck with it, and enjoy it.

Blueskyrich
22nd Apr 2008, 15:27
Exactly my school of thought too.

One other thing to consider is cost. You'll pay less for the S/E CPL, but will end up with less M/E time once you come out the other end. All swings and roundabouts I guess. I was lucky enough to do the M/E CPL on the DA42 which, by all accounts, makes things a lot easier but I think that's a discussion for somewhere else.

Mercenary Pilot
22nd Apr 2008, 15:47
M/E CPL isn't at all necessary. HOWEVER, If you are planning to do your CPL/IR/MER at the same school, then it might be worth asking if they will do you a deal on a ME/CPL.

A few years back a mate of mine was offered a ME/CPL for £1000 more than a SE/CPL so it was definitely worth while to get the extra stick time on the ME aircraft that he did his IR on. :ok:

sparx007
22nd Apr 2008, 16:29
cheers all,

Much appreciated.

Sparx

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2008, 17:27
If you do the IR first on the multi.

Definately do the CPL in the twin. Saves you having to muck about doing PFL's and glide to lands and all that other stuff.

Twin it's just engine failure on departure and go around to land. After the IR this isn't a problem.